RULE CONFLICT

Author
Hummer82
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 187
  • Reward points: 0
2013/12/13 10:00:58 (permalink)

RULE CONFLICT

I have a question and all comments are welcome.  For sometime now I have been wanting to float down many stretches of creek during deer season for quiet and good access. 

I have read the digest and come to the conclusion that you are not able to have a firearm loaded in your pursuit by using a canoe powered by paddle.  It comes down to trying to figure the meaning of "under power" as stated in the digest. Vague as it may be, paddling, by definition is power, if you get technical.  We all know how interpretation can be miscued.  Am I wrong with that statement?

With that said.  In the same area, at the same time, I could be completely camouflaged and shoot ducks by paddling down a creek and jump shooting.  Doesn't seem right and very dangerous!

6 Replies Related Threads

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    Re: RULE CONFLICT 2013/12/13 10:44:52 (permalink)
    On the other site this was asked and as long as you don't have a gas motor or electric motor, you are ok to hunt as you state above.  Might want to compose an email to the PGC bureau of law enforcement to get a first hand ruling on it though.
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re: RULE CONFLICT 2013/12/13 11:12:14 (permalink)
    I know for waterfowl its spelled out very specific(Federal). State, not so much.  I'm not comfortable having a loaded rifle in a canoe anyways. just a form of transport to put you into better cover.

As far as a PGC ruling.   I was shocked when seeing answers on another forum from game officials regarding mentored youth hunting when guys called about it.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: RULE CONFLICT 2013/12/13 12:20:28 (permalink)
    I don't know about current rules but for many years I floated and jump shot ducks and floated with both loaded 22 and shotgun hunting shore running raccoon at night and was checked by WCO's from time to time. I also used canoes to  hunt the islands in the Allegheny river but normally didn't chamber a round until on shore. I fail to see where it is any more or less dangerous than any other type of hunting or shooting. Common sense procedures apply as with anything else.
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    Re: RULE CONFLICT 2013/12/15 19:52:14 (permalink)
    If you are in a canoe that is not powered by a motor, you are fine doing what you wish to do.
    Paddling a canoe is not considered "under power".

The law states "Have a loaded firearm in a watercraft under power, or shoot from a powered watercraft until the MOTOR has been shut off and the craft has come to a complete stop."

Note it says MOTOR, referencing POWERED earlier in the sentence.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    Re: RULE CONFLICT 2013/12/20 21:47:35 (permalink)
    I'm not comfortable having a loaded rifle in a canoe anyways. just a form of transport to put you into better cover.

Then what is the point of the original post?
    steelhead1994
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re: RULE CONFLICT 2013/12/20 22:01:38 (permalink)
    Me and my buddies only hunt ducks and geese out of our kayaks while paddling around and jump shooting. Guns loaded as we paddle. Nothing wrong with it, just keep it pointed in a safe direction that's all.
    Jump to: