Pheasant Hunting was disappointing

Author
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
  • Reward points: 0
2013/10/27 11:40:43 (permalink)

Pheasant Hunting was disappointing

After all of the hype of the number of birds they were going to stock this year every person I talked to was very disappointed including us. We had our worse year since we first started pheasant hunting. There was 5 of us and 2 dogs and we only managed 1 bird and 5 flushes.

Last year in the same spots we had 10 birds and 30+ flushes.

Not sure where there birds were this year. But a down opening day for us after high hopes..

Anyone else hunt? how'd ya do. We were in Washington.

17 Replies Related Threads

steelhead1994
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/10/28 22:42:52 (permalink)
    Me and three buddies all got our limits, one (untrained lol) dog, 4 hens and 4 cocks, last one to the game lands and the first ones to leave, only walked 2 fields only there 45min, so far my best pheasant year, in Grove city
    lost sage rod sectio
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/10/29 00:21:42 (permalink)
    A bird in the hand is worth TWO in the Bush.!!!!!!!!!
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/10/29 19:35:02 (permalink)
    Were giving it a go again Friday, should be loads of pheasants after this stocking. Ed
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/11/01 21:04:50 (permalink)
    How'd you make out today Eman?

BH
    SteelieWheelie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 991
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/11/02 06:16:47 (permalink)
    His fingers are so tired from plucking feathers that he cant even type on the computer!

Early to bed
    Early to rise
    Fish like hell
    And make up lies!
    fishinvic
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/11/02 11:44:23 (permalink)
    My hunting partner and I have got three birds all cocks two gray squirrels and two rabbits with 5 flushes with no dog in three outings so the game is out there at least in erie county

Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/11/03 07:23:57 (permalink)
    I got 2 pheasants Friday and 2 pheasants yesterday (Saturday)

Seen a giant buck running the fields so I archery hunted last evening there. My GF passed on a small legal  buck 20 yards from her. She also got her first pheasant yesterday. Ed
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/11/11 11:27:24 (permalink)
    Had a tough go of it last Friday. Only eight birds pointed with five harvested.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/11/14 19:50:05 (permalink)
    post edited by griffon - 2013/11/14 20:02:46
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/11/17 08:37:28 (permalink)
    Lots of pheasants up north,

Did very well fast cpl times out
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/11/22 05:58:24 (permalink)
    Had a decent day yesterday until we ran into a little bit of controversy.

Started off well with each of us bagging a rooster.  Our strategy was to force some birds into a thick area.  Then as we lined up to take the next section of cover, a guy bypasses us and cuts in about 200 yards ahead.  We hold our ground to let him get out further so that neither of us is in danger.  We watched as his dog flew three roosters.  But there were no shots.

We found no birds in that pass.  In the next stetch of cover we put two more in the bag, leaving one to go.  One of the guys with us only gets to pheasant hunt the one day of the year we take him, so it is pretty important to us for him to get his last brd.

As we turn to take another piece of cover, again a thick area that we forced birds into, the same guy jumps ahead of us by 100 yards.  Again we wait so that he is not in danger.  His dog flies another bird.  Again, no shot.

We work thorugh the cover an find nothing.  While taking a lsight break, the guy comes up and jumps in right in frontof where we are standing.  His Brit goes on point and he motions for us to come over.  We did not.  His do breaks point and a rabbit runs acorss the path.

So that we don't run into hm again, we ask where he is going and he responds that he is leaving.  We notice that he has no gun and is only wearing an orange cap.

We wait until we firgure he is inthe parking lot, about 1/3 of a mile away before taking onthe last fence row of cover.  The Pointers lock down a bird in the fence row, but before our guy can move in on it, the other guys dog swoops in out of nowhere and busts the bird out from under the point.  So much for our friends last chance.

We work a little further toward the car and we can hear the guy in the parking lot yelling and whistling for his dog while it runs around wild where we are hunting.  100 yards furhter and the Pointers lock again.  As the guy who needs to punch his ticket moves toward the point, the loose Brit busts that one as well.  The whole time we can hear the guy standing inthe parking area yelling for the dog.

This is getting a little old.  But we hunt on.

Another point and another rip thorugh by the Brit and another busted bird.  Our guy does manage a shot at the bird and he gets some feathers, but the bird keeps rolling.  The Pointers see the feathers and are off for the retrieve.  But so is the Brit.  I whistle my dogs off because the last thing I needs is a dog fight over a wounded bird.

We pack it in and head for the car.  The guy is still there yelling for his dog.  We tell him we saw him 300 yards back running wild and let him know we are not happy about it busting birds out form under our points -- not even mentioning how he cut us off -- especially when he was not hunting.

While we are packing up, he yells that here comes his dog with a bird.  He tries to get the bird and the dog runs off with it.  He asks for help and one of our party goes ith him to help get the bird.  When they return, the guy immediately leaves and our guy i just shaking his head.  He said that the dog just didn't listen and even snapped at him.

I'll take someone crossing my line anytime rather than someone, who is not hunting, letting their dog just run wild and ruining the experience.

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/11/22 11:28:36 (permalink)
    PETA....WF
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/11/22 17:58:51 (permalink)
    More like DH and I don't mean designated hitter.

r2g2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/11/22 22:09:27 (permalink)
    The new generation- even some are our age- MEEEEE first- no common sense and dont give a hoot bout anybody or anything but themselves. I callem Urbies -raised in Urbania with no inkling or knowledge of the outdoors whatsoever. Likely didn't know or care if he cut you off.
    My Wife walks the non hunter Lab every day- but NOT where folks hunt- we save the water fun and field stuff for the off season with that  mutt.-.common courtesy.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/11/25 05:47:00 (permalink)
    ^ Guy was retired and works (might even own it) at a local preserve.  When we were talkiing he said it was poker night at his house and he was just trying to wear the dog out so it would sleep and not bother the players.

If the guy were hunting, I would have been more okay with the cut offs, not happy, but more okay.  But there is no excuse for standing in a parking lot 1/2 mile from where you last saw your dog screamng for it while it runs wild through a group of hunters.

This is what e-collars are for.  And I don't mean on the Brit.

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/11/25 07:17:32 (permalink)
    A polite talk, passive aggressive, may have been in order...WF...all right to screw you guys just so HE wasnt inconvieninced....Or a stern reminded that it will not happen again, if I'm involved.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasant Hunting was disappointing 2013/11/28 10:18:36 (permalink)
    I did have a short discussion about his dog running wild and busting birds from under our points.  My firend had a slightly different discussion after the dog snapped at him.

Jump to: