Owl call for gobblers

Author
Panfisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 799
  • Reward points: 0
2013/10/24 13:19:54 (permalink)

Owl call for gobblers

I just purchased a Primos Power Owl Locator call.  I can't get it to sound like an owl.  Every thing comes out sounding like a duck call.  The instructions say if you blow too soft it will sound like a duck.  I tried blowing hard and holding my hands in different locations but cannot get an owl sound.  Is this a bad call? Any one have an suggestions on a good owl turkey locator call?

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.

5 Replies Related Threads

Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    Re: Owl call for gobblers 2013/10/24 19:21:13 (permalink)
    I think I have the same one.  Try with a buddy standing 100 or so yards away and see if it sounds OK at distance.  Definitely need to cup your hands to muffle the sound on reed style owl hooters.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Owl call for gobblers 2013/10/26 19:35:55 (permalink)
    It's very easy to hoot with your own voice,been doing it for over 20 years,also I can yelp,purr,and cluck with my own voice.You can't get great distance but when there in close it works great. I've killed many birds with my own voice after getting them started with a box or slate call. When I first started turkey hunting not many tapes to listen too,spend 100's of hours just sitting and listening to hens and toms but really get my kicks from the hens,they taught me how to call. 
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re: Owl call for gobblers 2013/10/29 14:54:32 (permalink)
    Any loud noise in the woods will work as a shock call. I carry an owl hooter, a crow call, and a fawn bleat. They all work.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    Re: Owl call for gobblers 2013/10/29 22:04:08 (permalink)
    The Palmer Hoot Tube is as good as it gets.  The wooden one is definitely better than the plastic.  

griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    Re: Owl call for gobblers 2013/10/30 19:28:25 (permalink)
    Hey Rap/Cold... I still lurk and occasionally participate on the boards, but nowheres near like I used to.  I don't hoot with my voice like I used to, so I ended up going back to the Palmer tube which is pretty good when I put it against the others... This past spring I was introduced to a call which I have since purchased.  It is a box call used for locating birds in BIGGG Woods and it is called the Road Warrior.  It is a special makeup by QB and carries a $70 retail, but Holy Living $h!t...  I have never heard or seen anything like it before.  The first time I heard it, I nearly lost my bodily functions right there.  The term loud does not do this call justice... 

On a side note, the two birds in my avatar were a pair that my wife and I put the smack down on this past season.  I shot mine a bit further out than she did, but she tried to take the head off of hers at about 5 paces... It was as good a turkey season as I can remember.  Take Care,  Mike
    Jump to: