Helpful ReplyTubes Update

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Tubes Update 2013/10/25 14:17:31 (permalink)
Even though Elk Creek probably has one of the highest densities of steelhead(if you want to call them that) on the planet, I still chuckle every time I drive by the "world class fishery" signs up there lol.

post edited by troutguy - 2013/10/25 14:20:38
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: Tubes Update 2013/10/26 07:07:16 (permalink)
pgh_flytier
The thing that bothers me about posting and charging is the thought that eventually we will be like England or other European countries where fishing is only for the rich.

no  we won't.
pay to "fish in a bucket"  stocked water   is nothing new in this country.
This is a little different because the  stocking is publicly  funded, but fishing in general  will not become a "sport for the rich" here

the European analogy is silly
There are  billions  of cubic ft of water to fish in this country that's not going away ...and all it takes is a fishing license.
steelie fishing in a bucket  is but a small part compared to all the other fishing going on.

The sky's not falling.
Erie Pa Steelie "fishing in a bucket" might change..but that's just  a tiny spot on the map compared to all the other water where fish great and small swim

..L.T.A.

Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
Re: Tubes Update 2013/10/26 09:16:28 (permalink)
genieman77
pgh_flytier
The thing that bothers me about posting and charging is the thought that eventually we will be like England or other European countries where fishing is only for the rich.

no  we won't.
pay to "fish in a bucket"  stocked water   is nothing new in this country.
This is a little different because the  stocking is publicly  funded, but fishing in general  will not become a "sport for the rich" here

the European analogy is silly
There are  billions  of cubic ft of water to fish in this country that's not going away ...and all it takes is a fishing license.
steelie fishing in a bucket  is but a small part compared to all the other fishing going on.

The sky's not falling.
Erie Pa Steelie "fishing in a bucket" might change..but that's just  a tiny spot on the map compared to all the other water where fish great and small swim

..L.T.A.

AMEN

lost sage rod sectio
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: Tubes Update 2013/11/03 13:29:14 (permalink)
Bubbaman I'm only asking for $25.00 across the board so I can go catch a dozen or so fish 7 to 9 #s and be home in an hour For your pipe dream you are talking pass port visa guides in other countries air plane tickets shipping your gear and high class meals you will travel a long way to meet the kind of good people you meet when you are out and about in ERIE P.A.These people are the salt of the earth And the local food is good to.I fish pretty much where I want and take each situation as it comes and I still find this a World Class fishery USA love it or leave it.
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
Re: Tubes Update 2013/11/03 16:45:21 (permalink)
Rusthead fish in PA is third (last) behind OH and NY just in south shore lake erie..... How in the heII can it ever be though of as "world class" ???? Laughable

KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
Re: Tubes Update 2013/11/03 16:46:36 (permalink)
Worlds greatest USA fishery in the world

chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: Tubes Update 2013/11/03 18:49:58 (permalink)
Erie as a world class is steelhead fishery is laughable.  The worst steelhead stream in NY is better than what PA has.  Ohio could be world class if they'd stock more, imo. 
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re: Tubes Update 2013/11/03 19:06:56 (permalink)
Chartist, then dont come to Erie if it's so bad.   And ill laugh as i catch steelbos/stekheds/rustfaces in ditches, streams and rivers not wider than the yough ;) cause its still fun for me.  i find peace, seclusion and enjoyment, and many times get to fish with other cool duuds too.  No it ain't world class, yes it's artificial and at times it makes me feel kinda uneasy like after eating at a buffet.  But its still fun, and last time i checked, that's what fishing is supposed to be.  

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: Tubes Update 2013/11/03 19:47:35 (permalink)
fisherofmen376
Chartist, then dont come to Erie if it's so bad.   And ill laugh as i catch steelbos/stekheds/rustfaces in ditches, streams and rivers not wider than the yough ;) cause its still fun for me.  i find peace, seclusion and enjoyment, and many times get to fish with other cool duuds too.  No it ain't world class, yes it's artificial and at times it makes me feel kinda uneasy like after eating at a buffet.  But its still fun, and last time i checked, that's what fishing is supposed to be.  

I drive through Erie on my way to Oak Orchard or the Salmon River.  And as I do, I remember my early Elk Creek days thinking it was a pretty good fishery....Then I discovered the SR and I can't bring myself to fish that overpriced ditch of a creek in Erie, (PA's 4th largest city and fading fast).
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: Tubes Update 2013/11/03 20:06:04 (permalink)
chartist
fisherofmen376

I drive through Erie on my way to Oak Orchard or the Salmon River.  And as I do, I remember my early Elk Creek days thinking it was a pretty good fishery....Then I discovered the SR and I can't bring myself to fish that overpriced ditch of a creek in Erie, (PA's 4th largest city and fading fast).

Chartist,don't they "bite" on those 1/0 hooks with some fuzz wrapped around them on the Erie tribs that you have soooo much success with on the SR? 
krott243
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 954
Re: Tubes Update 2013/11/03 23:29:15 (permalink)
chartist
fisherofmen376

No one cares dude, your a clown. Go fish British Columbia or the Pacific steelhead streams, than tell us how you feel about the Oak.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
steel whisperer
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Tubes Update 2013/11/04 08:23:09 (permalink)
chartist
Erie as a world class is steelhead fishery is laughable.  The worst steelhead stream in NY is better than what PA has.  Ohio could be world class if they'd stock more, imo. 

Chartist I've met people like you in every walk of life. You need to brag and showboat with top of the line possessions or your travel to make up for your inadequacies. Better equipment doesn't provide better skill. I know guys on this board and many others myself probably included that would out fish you  every day of the week and 2x on sunday. You generally should be elite to act like an elitist.
I have in fact fished majority of Ohio tribs, and all of NY tribs up to SR and would hit them more often if they were closer or fisherman up there didn't act like jagloons. Yes most of PA creeks are trickles but that's what we have to work with so most of us wont complain.

So do us all a favor and don't comment if you don't have anything of value to post. 

World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: Tubes Update 2013/11/04 16:28:10 (permalink)
I have a brand new Zebco 33 and new ugly stick and a handfull of new bobbers. I am going for the elitist look ....WF..I dont catch any steelhead so I may as well look good doing it.
track2514
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 964
Re: Tubes Update 2013/11/04 17:36:27 (permalink)
chartist

Actually the rivers in Indiana and Michigan are much better than NY, OH, or PA if you look at the size of the fish. I have never caught them, but I have seen steelhead over 20lbs caught in both Michigan and Indiana. Every time I witnessed someone catch a 20lber it was crazy to me because they were not really that surprised or excited. I mean they knew the fish were big, but it seemed like many of them have caught 20lbers before. In NY, OH, or PA I have never seen a 20lb. steelhead in person and I do know that they exist, but they seem rare. Additionally, I caught very few under 10 lbs., especially when fishing the St. Joesph. It is all relative though and out of all the waters, I prefer the numbers in PA, the size of the fish in MI, and the variety of fish in NY. No fishery is perfect, but Erie is great for those looking at the best opportunity to actually catch a steelhead. I can't tell you how many times I have fished streams/rivers in MI, MN, OH, etc. and gotten skunked. In Erie unless the streams are blown out there is always a good chance to at least catch a fish.

"The things you own end up owning you."
~~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
Re: Tubes Update 2013/11/04 20:07:53 (permalink)
track2514
 In Erie unless the streams are blown out there is always a good chance to at least catch a fish.

Which is the main reason that I fish. Unless I get skunked. Then I get all contemplative and poetic. Scary.
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to: