Helpful ReplyPullin' up hard on Chrome!!!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Ninja of the Steel
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Reward points: 0
2013/10/13 17:14:03 (permalink)

Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!!

Gearing up for the first hit of the year on Pa Erie Tribs this week! After Penn St game Sat. I figure there's nothing to lose, I'm goin all in! Can't wait to nuzzle up to the locals as well. They always smell so good, like a bouquet of flowers... Made some great memories there in the past. Like the time 2 friends and I were working Elk on a cold, rainy November morning. We arrived in the dark that day, fished several hours with no luck. My buddies decided they needed to head to the vehicle, warm their paws and cough a bit. I let them know I wasn't going anywhere. Soon after they left I proceeded to land my first fish of the day, a near citation size 9lb male! What a rush! I'll never forget the look on their faces when they returned, and of course the first words out of their mouths "What'd you get him on??"... Anyway, I'm excited for the trip!
As to the buzz about recently posted water etc.., the fishing gods have ways of dealing with those who exploit public funded resources like leaky waders and nicked leaders..
In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to fishing alongside fellow Sportsmen.
Tight lines!!!!!!!

"The images of himself and his line kept disappearing into the rising vapors of the river, which continually circles to the tops of the cliffs where, after becoming a wreath in the wind, they became rays of the sun."
fishingood
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 95
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/14 08:22:47 (permalink)
Good story, steelhead fishing certainly is addicting.

If leaky waders are considered punishment from the fishing gods, I must have committed the ultimate sin. Last pair had a leak no one could find, bought a new pair, used them for the very first time on the Little J yesterday, leaking already.

Check out my YouTube fishing channel, new videos every week: https://www.youtube.com/user/Pasc9
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/14 10:27:04 (permalink)

glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/16 09:17:06 (permalink)
       good luck
post edited by glen - 2013/10/17 03:51:45
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/16 16:52:58 (permalink)
fishingood

If leaky waders are considered punishment from the fishing gods, I must have committed the ultimate sin. Last pair had a leak no one could find, bought a new pair, used them for the very first time on the Little J yesterday, leaking already.

A good gill blast on a Brown Trout will get you that....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Ninja of the Steel
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 49
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/18 00:06:28 (permalink)

Back from trip to Erie. Had a blast! Weather was great, yes water was low but still fish to be had. Downsizing tackle was the best move I made. Least fishing pressure I've seen, trying to line up another trip near thanksgiving. 

What do you think, Cowboy from Hell or Ninja of Steel? Lol  Tight lines Y'all!!

Attached Image(s)

"The images of himself and his line kept disappearing into the rising vapors of the river, which continually circles to the tops of the cliffs where, after becoming a wreath in the wind, they became rays of the sun."
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/18 00:21:30 (permalink)
troll

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2080
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/18 06:41:30 (permalink)
That fish has a tag in it.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8537
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/18 08:07:36 (permalink)
5.99 a lb. at Giant Eagle....:)

pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3427
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/18 09:51:46 (permalink)

bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/18 10:50:27 (permalink)
dale gribble fishes for steel head!?!?!

wishin i was fishin
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/19 10:45:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FiveMilePete 2013/10/25 22:17:19
Ninja of the Steel

Back from trip to Erie. Had a blast! Weather was great, yes water was low but still fish to be had. Downsizing tackle was the best move I made. Least fishing pressure I've seen, trying to line up another trip near thanksgiving. 

85 freakin degrees and you're fishing in neoprene....Yep, you're a PA fisherman alright.
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/25 12:12:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fish5000 2013/10/29 17:59:03
Not everyone can afford a different pair of waders for each day of the week. Come on dude. Really? The guy caught a fish on public waters while many others were paying to fish on private water or **** on an internet forum. All you can do is make fun of him for his waders? Are you really that petty? Do your children know that their father is the kind of guy that makes fun of people who can't afford high end gear? Did you teach them to act that way? Way to be a role model. Treat people the way you want to be treated. It's not difficult to be civil. Try it sometime. Just remember that no matter the material or the name brand, you put your waders on one leg at a time, just like he does.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
TheBlueLagoon
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 802
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/25 12:18:47 (permalink)
slabdaddy
Not everyone can afford a different pair of waders for each day of the week. Come on dude. Really? The guy caught a fish on public waters while many others were paying to fish on private water or **** on an internet forum. All you can do is make fun of him for his waders? Are you really that petty? Do your children know that their father is the kind of guy that makes fun of people who can't afford high end gear? Did you teach them to act that way? Way to be a role model. Treat people the way you want to be treated. It's not difficult to be civil. Try it sometime. Just remember that no matter the material or the name brand, you put your waders on one leg at a time, just like he does.

Got Walleye???
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/25 22:20:23 (permalink)
Ninja of the Steel

I thought you were required to use yellow rope on Erie Tribs.  
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/25 22:38:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FiveMilePete 2013/10/26 01:24:05
He must have stole that from a Pinner... I think they use blue ropes....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

steel whisperer
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/26 11:55:53 (permalink)
maniliketofish
Great - another fish that will never live to be caught again. Guess some clowns have never of "catch and release."

Its why soon you will see all the posts--- No fish or where did the fish go?
I swear it has to be a mupper law to keep your limit everytime out. I have overheard 3x this year already guys saying I dont even know why I keep these I dont like how they taste and another who said his freezer is full so he shouldnt have kept any. Really then wtf is the point then? I dont see hunters killing and leaving the deer. If you want the eggs just milk the fish right then and there and let her swim again.... And for all the guys keeping the Browns. Heads up, these fish can live up to 10 years and make multiple spawning runs. So why keep a 20" fish when in 2 years it could be 25" fish or larger.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9829
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/26 11:58:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby genieman77 2013/10/28 20:41:22
I personally find it much easier to sleep at night, catching fish to eat, than torture it with a hook and pulled around, then put back into the Erie Trib gauntlet, to happen 20-30 more times in a few months. There is no moral high ground for C&R in the Erie circushead fishery, IMO. If you're not going to eat, then definitely better.
steel whisperer
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/26 12:15:23 (permalink)
Porktown
I personally find it much easier to sleep at night, catching fish to eat, than torture it with a hook and pulled around, then put back into the Erie Trib gauntlet, to happen 20-30 more times in a few months. There is no moral high ground for C&R in the Erie circushead fishery, IMO. If you're not going to eat, then definitely better.

So pork do you stop fishing once you have your limit? or do you now practice C&R. Im willing to bet you dont stop fishing once you have 3.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/26 12:32:35 (permalink)
I usually don't fish the circus anymore. When I did a lot, it usually was C&R until I got a smoker. Now it is 2-3 times per year, I keep the first nice fish, and the last fish of the day, or just end up with one if I don't time it correctly. When I fish other waters, it depends on the species. When targeting something like wipers, they are mostly C&R, but not nearly the gauntlet as the circus. They'll likely go a few months without getting yanked around, unlike the precious stekheads, getting yanked within another few days (such a moral victory there...). If fishing panfish, I follow the pa enhancement guidelines and don't feel a need to keep more than I plan on eating.

Ride those high horses boys. Yap at those doing what these trout were put in for. Think a little, then realize how much if a donkey you sound like from your pulpit.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/26 14:17:59 (permalink)
The battle rages on, catch and release versus keeping some.  But in this instance, it makes especially no sense to scream for not keeping any.  I don't think some folks realize that the commission stocks A MILLION FISH every year, in an artificial fishery.  Put and take, more will come back next year.  NOT a reason to keep more than is sensible or usable, but lets face it we are not in a delicate fragile fishery here that could de-stabilize if too many limits go out.  

For every limit that the purists see kept as they turn their noses up, there are tons more being snagged under cover of dark, poaching and keeping MORE than the limit.  THOSE are the ones we should be vigilant about reporting.  Amd if u hear a guy talking aout how he doesn't even like the taste, or there's no room in the freezer, maybe try and have a legitimate conversation with him.  The power of persuasion may change his mind!  Regardless,  we still see hordes of fish come back every year. Plenty to catch for everyone who has a clue.  And enough to keep for those who have the right.  

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/26 15:05:36 (permalink)
6lb stellie
maniliketofish
Great - another fish that will never live to be caught again. Guess some clowns have never of "catch and release."

If you want the eggs just milk the fish right then and there and let her swim again....

It's kind of hard to milk out that skien
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/26 15:32:54 (permalink)
Chastising a guy for keeping one fish gets under my skin, especially doing it in a way that you somehow have higher moral standards, which is how I read the response. If not intended, then I may have read into it too much. It's fishing, not the most moral of activities, unless doing for food, IMO. I do it myself (C&R) and love it, so was not trying to talk down to anyone. But will not talk down on someone doing it for food, unless in an illegal manner. Ninja came onto this board a bit edgy and paid a little toll for it, so understand why he might be getting another jab. Reading some of his other posts, he sounds like a legit fisherman though. He has some thick skin not getting his feathers ruffled from some of the responses here. Guys like ninja are what made this site fun back in the prime of this board, IMO.
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/26 22:46:16 (permalink)
Porktown
Chastising a guy for keeping one fish gets under my skin, especially doing it in a way that you somehow have higher moral standards, which is how I read the response. If not intended, then I may have read into it too much. It's fishing, not the most moral of activities, unless doing for food, IMO. I do it myself (C&R) and love it, so was not trying to talk down to anyone. But will not talk down on someone doing it for food, unless in an illegal manner. Ninja came onto this board a bit edgy and paid a little toll for it, so understand why he might be getting another jab. Reading some of his other posts, he sounds like a legit fisherman though. He has some thick skin not getting his feathers ruffled from some of the responses here. Guys like ninja are what made this site fun back in the prime of this board, IMO.

+1

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
TheBlueLagoon
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 802
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/27 10:27:50 (permalink)
maniliketofish
Porktown - you must be lousy at math. if someone is doing it for "food, ie. put food on the table"  their money is more judiciously spent on going to a fish market and buying it at 8.99 a pound. When you factor in gas, bait, tackle, wear and tear on a car, tolls, etc etc. steelhead are probably $75 a pound. So the "oh we've doing it for food" doesn't wash. try again.

If an angler is obeying limit laws, what's the issue?
You've done nothing but quote "angling legends" and throw out BS lines like (guess people have never heard of catch and release)
Do you have any legit reasons to not keep fish? Any statistics that say it is hurting the fish population, or other angler success rates?   

Bashing anglers because they like to enjoy a fresh fish meal that they worked for and spent their money on is ridiculous.

For me it's not enjoyment or food, it's a combination. I enjoy to fish (more often than not it's C&R) and occasionally when I want, I enjoy the fish I catch by eating them and boy are they good!  

The best advice I can give you maniliketofish is,  you do you, and let everyone else do what they want to do within the regulations, because you're not changing anyone's opinion
post edited by TheBlueLagoon - 2013/10/27 10:29:40

Got Walleye???
XtopwaterkingX
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/27 14:08:20 (permalink)
Very hard to milk the skein, that's why I just gut em an throw em on the ground
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/28 09:36:34 (permalink)
maniliketofish
Porktown - you must be lousy at math. if someone is doing it for "food, ie. put food on the table"  their money is more judiciously spent on going to a fish market and buying it at 8.99 a pound. When you factor in gas, bait, tackle, wear and tear on a car, tolls, etc etc. steelhead are probably $75 a pound. So the "oh we've doing it for food" doesn't wash. try again.

I'm actually paid rather well for using math skills (and many others), but appreciate the concern.  Can you reference where I said anything about being "we've doing it for food"?  I said that chastizing someone for keeping one fish, is foolish.  C&R is tricking a fish to eat a sharp hook and pull it around by a string and releasing for our pleasure, whether they feel pain or not, or survive the trauma.  I do it all of the time, so have no right telling others that it is wrong.  IMO, catch and eat is much more of the moral high ground than catch and release.  Especially in a fishery that the fish are legally caught and illegally snagged at a very high rate.  Supporting such a fishery, has some moral concerns, but my selfish pleasure center reasons with my guilty conscience enough to feel fine about it...  If he kept this fish just for the bragging rights, and the fish is burried in his garden or in the trash (i.e. Catch & Waste), you have a case.  Catch and Release is much higher than Catch and Waste.  But that is a lot of assumption.
I'd say that I am around $400/lb and climbing for fish that I keep and eat.  More if I include initial investment over fair market value of current angling assets (including 3 boats, who's primary function is fishing) and family vactions that I ensure have fishing involved.  Fishing is part of my entertainment budget, not the food budget (which is often used buy fish).  I like the taste and health benefits of fish.  I also enjoy the sense of providing food in actual terms over providing food in relative terms for my family.  With the large agro businesses and government substidized food (farm bill & others), most "hunting & gathering" after associated costs, is more expensive than buying food.  
track2514
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 964
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/28 14:57:29 (permalink)
In terms of the cost issue associated with fishing compared to buying fish, steelhead are not really a good fish to mention as being expensive to catch. Especially for anyone who lives in Northwest PA and fishes pretty simply at the major access points. I have met some people in Erie who fish with very simple/cheap tackle and bait and catch their limit multiple times a week and fill a freezer and/or smoker with the fish pretty easily. Most of these people appear to be pretty low income and of Eastern European descent. The two guys I have seen the most often at Walnut and sometimes Elk are Bosnian and the other is Ukrainian. They fish with either a homemade jig like a mini-foo under a bobber, skein, or eggs and live in Erie so their costs are rather minimal and as we all know steelhead can fill a freezer pretty quickly. I am happy that fishermen like this exist, especially because they stock so many fish that it would pretty much be a waste if someone didn't eat them. Now if you want to talk about the money spent on walleye fishing that is a different story lol.

"The things you own end up owning you."
~~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

racerx051781
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 33
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/28 16:35:33 (permalink)
I hate guys who keep fish! I have no problem with people who do it to put food on the table, but seriously lets get real 90% of  those fish get thrown in a deep freeze and forgot about! Yes the fish commission do stock a lot of fish but with people taking three out everyday that gets seriously depleted and not to mention how many of those fish truly make it. If you have to buy a fishing license, trout and salmon stamp, and erie permit. Plus pay for the money to drive there. Chances are you don't need to do it for food. Quit kidding yourselves! New York puts PA to shame when it comes to the size and weight of their brown trout and steelhead. A big part of that is due to the creel limits. if you want to keep a couple that's cool but really who needs to keep two or three every time they go!

FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2080
Re: Pullin' up hard on Chrome!!! 2013/10/28 16:41:32 (permalink)
tbronder
90% of  those fish get thrown in a deep freeze and forgot about!
. Where did you come up with that number? And who needs to get real, again?
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to: