Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
  • Reward points: 0
2013/07/19 12:18:25 (permalink)

rod suggestions please

I'm shopping for a new rod for carp bass and maybe steelhead. I'm having a heck of a time throwing weighted streamers and big bass poppers with my cheap-o 5 wt. After some research, it looks like the Lamson Konic ii is almost too good to pass up. So does anyone have any suggestions for a rod for these purposes? I'm not looking to break the bank so under $200 would be ideal. Suggestions on a fly line to match up would also be awesome.

33 Replies Related Threads

Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/19 15:08:28 (permalink)
    see this discussion from a while back
     http://forums.fishusa.com/tm.aspx?m=384723&high=fly+rods

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/19 15:38:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link, I appreciate the searching, but that thread was a bunch of horse crap. I'm not looking for some thing to roll cast a glow bug 15'. I need a rod that will help me throw heavy streamers and big poppers far and accurately. I'm thinking 7 wt, but would go to 8 if you guys think it's necessary.
    post edited by FishinGuy - 2013/07/19 15:49:08
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/19 16:00:35 (permalink)
    I picked up an Ugly Stik 8/9 last year.  Uplined it with a SA 10#wf.  I've caught a few carp ~10# that the rod handled with no problem.  It handles a 2/0 clouser fairly well.  I fish Sharpsburg and Harmar quite a bit, Twin & KSP not quite as often, but you are more than welcome to throw it anytime you are in the neighborhood.

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
    ~Tom Waits

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/19 16:33:11 (permalink)
    I  have an 8/9 wt ugly stick with a pflueger medalist reel and cortland line.  used once, literally!  happy to sell it you.  like new.  grandson not the least bit interested in using it.  bought everything here at FishUSA. 
    $57.95(rod) + 53.95(line) + 30.00(reel) + 6% PA sales tax = $150.41.   won't give it away, but if you're interested, make me a decent offer.
    post edited by pikepredator2 - 2013/07/19 16:51:49
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/19 17:43:11 (permalink)
    At $200 the search becomes limited.. Sage makes some nice fly rods..
    For what you are looking at casting Id say bump up to a 7wt. 9' 6"
    Keep an eye out for clearance or discontinued models.
    I have, use a sage FLi 9'6 - 7 wt what casts big buggy light flies or heavy clousers very well..
    I use it on the Ontario tribs for browns & steel all the time also.. Have caught kings but it lacks the backbone to really put the wood to them..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/20 07:35:09 (permalink)
    I appreciate the offers but I don't think an ugly stik is really what I'm looking for in this situation. I found a good deal on a 10' 7 wt moderate fast or a 9' 8 wt fast-extra fast. Would an extfast really be difficult for a beginner to cast? Is an 8 WT just too much rod for smaller bass? I really have no experience with different fly rod weights. I would still like to be able to feel the fight of the fish some. I have a 5wt now that I would say is a moderate to slow action, and it seems to just fall on it's face when I get a little to heavy with my fly. Or try to put any kind of power at all into the cast.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/20 08:32:17 (permalink)
    I would say the 10' 7 wt would be a better choice..  The extra fast are tough to load the rod and an 8wt. would be a bit over kill on bass..
    don't be afraid to put an 8 wt line on a 7 wt rod, it helps if using smaller lighter flies ..
    sometimes you can find some good deals on line if you poke around..
    I got a sage 8wt  floating weight forward line for $29.00 that I really like.
    I bought a Wulff Triangle weight forward for $75.00 that I hate..

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/20 09:03:37 (permalink)
    I'm looking at the Sa mastery gxp. The description says it's a half weight heavier. So the 10' 7 wt ought to work well w the 7 WT line? I really appreciate your input btw.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/20 09:17:03 (permalink)
    There's also the sa mastery textured magnum taper for $10 more, also a half weight heavy and sounds pretty close to what I may need.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/20 17:15:38 (permalink)
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/21 00:53:12 (permalink)
    Thanks duud. Unfortunately, that St croix is not made in a 7wt, I liked the specs on it too... And from what I've read, that konic is the bee's knee's. Do you own one?
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/21 21:15:41 (permalink)
    I wouldn't worry too much about specifics. Get whatever you can get a deal on. 5-8wt at 8ft and up. St Croix, TFO, Sage, Redington, Cabelas... They're all good buys. American, European, or Asian made... They're all made in countries that fish. 

5-8wt would cover most bass. I use my 5wt for them with confidence. If I'm going to bigger water, I'll grab my 7 or 8wt. I usually end up taking my 8wt switch rod for bass. Just to cover anything that goes for the bigger flies or, in your case, if you want to fish for carp with it, too. The 8wt switch also works for steelhead at 11ft. Those Ugly Stikk rods can def be up lined. The 6/7wt I have can handle up to 9 maybe 10wt. Also consider being able to use a little heavier rod for Saltwater on top of bass, steelhead, and carp. If you fancy that. Everything counts.

I've gotten most of my rods used in great condition or on sale. Most of them were bought, reeled, and lined for under $200. I have them for a variety of situations and they all catch the target fish. If you're going to spend $200 get yourself a good rod, the Konic, and the line. I even bought my Konic on sale. Just look around.
    post edited by wrighter00 - 2013/07/21 21:20:47
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/21 21:32:34 (permalink)
    FishinGuy

Thanks duud. Unfortunately, that St croix is not made in a 7wt, I liked the specs on it too... And from what I've read, that konic is the bee's knee's. Do you own one?

It sounds like you already have something specific in mind and are just waiting for someone else to mention it.

For all of your purposes, there's no one rod that will do it all well.  The things you need a steelhead rod to do are not the things you need a LMB rod to do.  If you want a rod that will do okay at all of your intended uses, then there's lots of options...most of which have already been mentioned and subsequently dismissed.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/22 07:16:17 (permalink)
    The only specific thing I have in mind so far is 7wt based on tunas recommendation. I'd like to go as light as possible, but I know my 5wt won't turn these things over very well. I was hoping a few people owned and used reasonably priced rods for carp (heavier streamers like crayfish patterns) and bass (larger lighter streamers and larger poppers). And could give a suggestion as to what they have used and liked or disliked.
    post edited by FishinGuy - 2013/07/22 07:32:33
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/22 12:43:27 (permalink)
    I did some looking into switch rods and all That did was confuse me. I don't think I need multiple different lines and all that apparently goes with switch fishing. A good old wf floating line is probably more my speed. I found a deal on a 10' mod fast 7wt I may just get it if no body thinks that's a bad idea.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/22 13:47:37 (permalink)
    You *do* realize that the "rod weights" are simply the manufacturer's recommendation of what line they estimate that rod will cast the best...right?  

You seem to be unnecessarily quantifying your needs based on one recommendation.  

I have a 6, two 7s, and an 8wt, and use them all for different purposes...and none of those four rods behaves like a "typical" 6, 7, or 8wt.  They're specific-purpose rods.  To that end, there's only one of the four I'd enjoy using for steelhead, and it'd be my last choice for warmwater...similarly, the other three are viable options for warmwater, but I'd feel like I was improperly equipped with those three on a trib in November.  This all being said, if I only had one of the four, I wouldn't have any of those opinions, and would be either like or dislike their performance based on the merits of that rod alone...not compared to another rod in the quiver that might do better.  

It seems like you're comparing the performance of rods you've never fished with based on the imagined experience of fishing with other rods you don't have.

If you want a specific purpose rod, be more specific in your request...but it sounds like you want a very general purpose rod.  As fas a general purpose rods go, one manufacturer's 6wt might be stronger than another's 7wt, and a 7wt, from anyone, might be very similar to another maker's (or another product line from the same maker's) 6 or 8.  Nothing is set in stone.

If you have your heart set on a 7wt, that's fine, but like I said, you seem to be arbitrarily ruling out many completely serviceable options within your price range, just because of a number on the side of a blank.  
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/22 14:32:06 (permalink)
    Ok, I'm just looking for what wt/length rod is best suited for casting weighted streamers or streamers with one or two split shot a decent distance accurately. I don't know how specific I really need to be. Are you implying that a rod that will cast a popper will not cast a steamer? The primary use will be sight casting to carp in 1-4' of water from 10-maybe 60' I will need to roll cast at times but am often fishing open areas. I choose 7wt because that was the only thing that was suggested to me. I have nothing else to go on. I've never fished a heavier fly rod than a 5wt, so I really don't know what I should be looking for. I thought I made this all pretty clear already?
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/22 15:07:24 (permalink)
    Your very first sentence indicated carp (fairly delicate presentation required in mostly open areas, of a small weighted fly), bass (no need for delicacy of presentation, but usually bulky, wind resistant flies, often heavy), and steelhead (assuming PA tribs, no need for distance at all, but accuracy, fish-fighting ability, and a sensitive tip).  Not necessarily mutually exclusive, but three distinctly different sets of needs.

Any rod can do just about anything...it's a matter of doing it well, or being built for it.  A rod built to power out a 6" weighted zonker into a headwind (coupled with the line to do it) is likely going to lack the delicate presentation that you'd need for spooky carp on a mud flat on a still day...for which a rod (again with suitable line) built for such a thing will likely make casting that big old streamer a bit of a chore. 

It's not that you can't do these things...it's that in the process of getting specifically good at one task you are likely getting specifically less good via tradeoff, in another area.

In very basic terms, for your needs, I'd suggest a 9' 6wt fast action rod in your price range.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/22 15:09:45 (permalink)
    I thought it was pretty clear and based my opinion on your question..
    Have caught carp on a 4wt up to 9 wt and the all around choice for me to fish bass, carp or steelhead for casting such flies and having enough strength without compromising the thrill of the fight is a 7wt..
    I thought the 10' y were looking into would be a great ro but thats just IMO..
    BTW .. The Konic is a very good reel.. I have suggested it to others and they are very pleased..
    Good luck..

P.S.
    having to many rods only means a bunch of extra $$$ and rods that sit in the corner of a room.. Believe me , been there done that..
    Good luck

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/22 15:26:21 (permalink)
    Tuna wins. The one I'm looking at ought to do. Appreciate all your time.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/22 15:34:18 (permalink)
    Ah, I wasn't aware it was a competition. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/22 16:27:17 (permalink)
    cold, sorry but my junky computer takes longer to type then your guys replies so I missed the 2 prior then mine.
    Does it work ? Yes, does it do what I want it to ? most times .
    Is it the cats meow and fast as lightning ? heck no.. It serves my purpose..
    You make very good points and suggestions as to rod uses and specifications.. Great stuff.. Even within the same manufacturer the same weight rods , same actions different models react different.. So what are we to do , buy them all ? lol..
    Na we choose whats within our reach and learn how to use the tools we have.. That IMO is what makes a skilled angler..
    Now granted, some things are just plain junk and make everything a struggle.. It's forums like these that can help weed out the nasties based on others experiences and then it's up to the consumer to compromise based on his needs..

Again, I love my sage FLi 9'6" rod, especially the extra 6", others may not.. I don't like my St. Croix Avid 8 wt 9' , others may..
    Do I make each work when and where I use them ? I have too..

It's not a competition just a suggestion towards a purchase, I don't own a SA rod so I can only base things towards what I have and weights towards flies used / species targeted.
    Heck fishinGuy may hate the rod he buys and then come back to say it was a bad suggestion..

Good stuff..

Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/22 17:17:45 (permalink)
    My replies weren't directed at you, tuna, you did as much as you could to help OP.

They were aimed at OP, who I'll be sure to remember from now on.
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/24 09:08:45 (permalink)
    Cold, you really know your stuff when it comes to fly fishing. LOL! I read this stuff, not understanding most of it because I don't fly fish, and hope to learn something from it. One thing I learned is that fly line is waaaaaay more $ than I ever would have imagined. $75 for line? That's nuts! It better last a long time! LOL! I've been playing with the idea of getting into it, but it looks like it's gonna be a little too expensive for me at the moment. Anyway, it's just nice to read stuff from people who obviously know what they are talking about. Big Tuna obviously knows his stuff too. I read his stuff on the NY boards. Nice guy. I'm glad he changed his Avatar though. That last one was freaky... LOL

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/24 09:41:33 (permalink)
    I'm with ya slab. Though I'm sure all he said was good info. It was mostly all Greek to me. Far beyond my limited knowledge of fly gear. I just wanted to know what cheaper rods people used and liked. Got a bit more info than I could use really I guess.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/24 10:14:13 (permalink)
    9 foot, 8 weight rod, in your price range, too many to list.  Learn to cast it, it's not a 5 weight.  PRACTICE!

Once you figure it out, you'll either not like it or be ready for more rods in different weights.  I don't buy the "too heavy for bass fishing" line at all.  An 8 lets you throw bigger flies, which you will want to do, you are already trying to do it with your 5 weight & you see how it can't perform.  If you get a 6 (which is barely heavier than a 5) you'll quickly wish you had a heavier rod. 

10 foot rods are too long for casting streamers, IMO.  They are great for steelhead fishing and nymphing out of a boat, but if that's not the main purpose, don't get one.  I have one, and it's the most limited/specialized rod I own.  From your original post, that's what you are trying to avoid.  If you want an all around steelhead to warm water bass/carp rod get an 8 weight and learn to cast it.

Konics are also great reels for the price, all of the Lamson reels are great.

Spend the money for a quality weight forward line, don't get the cheap $30 lines, they cast like crap & will, IMO, slow your learning curve.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/24 10:24:10 (permalink)

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/24 14:16:15 (permalink)
    D-nymph

9 foot, 8 weight rod, in your price range, too many to list.  Learn to cast it, it's not a 5 weight.  PRACTICE!

Once you figure it out, you'll either not like it or be ready for more rods in different weights.  I don't buy the "too heavy for bass fishing" line at all.  An 8 lets you throw bigger flies, which you will want to do, you are already trying to do it with your 5 weight & you see how it can't perform.  If you get a 6 (which is barely heavier than a 5) you'll quickly wish you had a heavier rod. 

10 foot rods are too long for casting streamers, IMO.  They are great for steelhead fishing and nymphing out of a boat, but if that's not the main purpose, don't get one.  I have one, and it's the most limited/specialized rod I own.  From your original post, that's what you are trying to avoid.  If you want an all around steelhead to warm water bass/carp rod get an 8 weight and learn to cast it.

Konics are also great reels for the price, all of the Lamson reels are great.

Spend the money for a quality weight forward line, don't get the cheap $30 lines, they cast like crap & will, IMO, slow your learning curve.

^This post is right on. I couldn't agree more.

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod suggestions please 2013/07/24 16:27:51 (permalink)
    Ok, that got my attention. 10' is no good for streamers you say? A foot makes that big a difference? Typically in my spin fishing I prefer to use the longest lightest power rod I can get away with comfortably, and I'm 6'3". Does any of that come into play? Is it more if a personal preference thing? Or more like a problem with the mechanics of casting? Sorry for all the questions. I've got a 10' 7wt ordered and in the mail on it's way to me as we speak. Returning it would not be a big deal though.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: