Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2013/05/28 19:30:34 (permalink)

Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update

I heard the same folks that bought the school got  the big Victorian house on the River, and are in the process of trying to buy up the rest of the property.   It seems they are in the process of buying the  lodge.   If they get the other  house  (and I heard the owner does not want to sell) , they'll own from the wires to the bridge in Altmar. They tried too buy the parking lot in front of Melindas, but was out bid.  Heard it from one person and Shane  posted the same on MFF so it has a good possibility of being true.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

21 Replies Related Threads

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/28 21:24:30 (permalink)
    Sounds as if the Salmon River is going to become a rose between two thorns.  I wonder if the new lodge is going to have gillies to cater to the Chic Chic crowd.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/28 22:27:35 (permalink)
    Gonna be worth missing a few days of fishing during low water. 
       Wanna just sit there in  a lawn chair with a glass of Blackberry on ice just watching the show when guys start walking back and forth from both sides.
        Might get right up there with Tressel shows.
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/29 07:30:04 (permalink)
    well there goes my rock...but there is lots of river to fish....i will miss being able to just grab the rod and walk over to the river
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/29 07:34:02 (permalink)
    Now watch for Herr Mario to come up with another revenue enhancement scheme and sell of the PFR's that DEC has already obtained.  It has been happening on Erie, the rich buy up the access to the fish WE ALL pay to put there.  With the emphasis that is being put on Atlantics the last couple of years, we should have seen the land grab coming.

Maybe it is time for pushing for a "no public access, no fishing" rule on stocked streams, as many are clammoring for on Erie.   OF course, Albany is "money talks, nobody walks", and how many average income legislators do you know?

L13 
    post edited by Lucky13 - 2013/05/29 07:35:50
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/29 07:45:16 (permalink)
    carpet bagers of a new era
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/29 10:04:50 (permalink)
    Guys, as much as it sucks, there really has never been public fishing rights on any of that bank... we've been priviliged to have the access... unfortunately someone is finally gonna take advantage of it. The victorian was a sitting duck for quite some time... those folks really wanted to sell for quite some time so you cant blame them... a land owners rights are a land owners rights as much as it sucks sometimes... should oneida stop stocking walleye because a lot of its banks are private property with no trespassing aloud????
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/29 10:07:33 (permalink)
    With GE getting in the "fracking game" how long before Cuomo caves.  We may not see a total pay to play on the Salmon River in our lifetime but I do believe it will eventually come to be.  Now that their is a competitor in town the race is on to purchase more parcels as they come available.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/29 11:57:32 (permalink)
    yes in all it is not good news for us regular Joe Dirt‘s..
    db you are correct, it was never pfr but it was a place that allowed fishing access. Now I do not believe that access will be allowed without a price.. so did we possibly lose something we never had ? I do believe so..
    Sadly there are enough folks willing to support privatized places to enjoy the outdoors..
    If such support was to cease then Id have to expect those such places would too..
    I will say, I was a part of the problem.. I supported the dsr when it was first enacted.. At that point it seemed ok to have somewhere that was reasonably priced ($10.00-salmon,$5.00-chrome) then things as they always do increase their cost.. It seemed that still it was a "deal" at $250.00 for a season. Finally the cost became so exorbitant that it seemed I was only lining the pockets of the already wealthy and exempting those of us regular Joe Dirt’s, so I chose no longer to support them..
    Honestly I think the politicians , representatives , would prefer privatized fishing.. They no longer have to deal with trash, enforcement and complaints from others.. The theory is , "let the owners deal with it" while they(state) still collect revenue from license sales.
    Lucky is correct, express your thoughts through propaganda.. Attend public meetings, don't support privatized access and if need be boycott the entire fishery for 1 year..
    I know that sounds like a stretch but just think what would happen if there wasn’t a sole standing in the river for 1 season..
    Obviously that would never happen but if folks really want change then they need to make change happen..
    sorry for my 2 cents:
    Signed:
    Joe Dirt..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/29 12:22:21 (permalink)
    No public access no fishing on stocked streams sounds good to me,but that'll never happen either.
    I hardly ever fish below the bridge,but from what I remember the public access side is better than the other.I think I'll have to join RG and watch the circus when the well heeled yuppies cross lines with the "Joe dirts" LOL
    post edited by pafisher - 2013/05/29 12:23:45
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/29 12:42:08 (permalink)
    that could be a blast
    100 braid on a tuna rod, just to snag the lines of the well healed patrons of the lodge....oh i'll bet that would get the DEC there in a hurry...lol
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/29 18:06:57 (permalink)
    I really do not fish alot on that side either  and the other side does IMO fish better from my meager experience.  It will be interesting on how it rolls as it Joe Dirt will be on one side and Mr pay to play on the other.   No wading past the mid point?   What about drift boats anchoring????    No casting past mid points???  As the map shows they only own into the river at one spot.   It will be interesting.  This is new territory as the DSR owns both sides, so it's not like the stretch will be limited to # of people.  You will be fishing across from anyone who cares to be there  not to mention the drift boats.   If there is fish and it is good fishing people will pay,  BUT  can they make the money to cover the overhead.   DSR has limited overhead when it shuts down for the summer.   I think this place will be hurtin in the off months.     

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/29 21:14:15 (permalink)
    Clint, i believe they are on a sliding property tax adjustment which will mature in eleven years. Using my one cent of knowledge makes me think that they are on an eleven year plan no ifs ands or buts... is that pic the tax map???? It could be off from the actiual deed as most parcels do own halfway in to the river... also, no access either way in reality as they own behind the victorian and almost up to the 52 bridge and the next fella down from there owns right yp to the schools property... so no acccess is their key.

I guess im a traitor as i do still hold a season pass to dsr. And i will renew it this year. My brakedown per the amount of days i use it in a year is more than worth it and my children get in for free... it is a no brainer for me. Hopefully people will boycott and not fish as it will free up a lot of space on the river...

Remember its ultimately the dec's fault for never holding the rights to river front from the beginning, but remember folks, some of these deeds date back to well before this fishery was even thought of... god bless america is all i can say...

For the weather, a beautiful sunset captured by some cooling fog... what a night... god definitely blessed this part of the country in my eyes....fukkk the fishing....
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/29 21:41:17 (permalink)
    Andy, that is the tax map and I viewed several different parcel viewers and all were the same as the picture above with them only owning to the middle of the river in that one spot.  I am sure they did their home work on this though.   Just interesting  on how it plays out seeing that it really is not private access and there will be boats and folks fishing on the other side for the same fish.   

Put me on the traitors list, although I do not have a pass I am on the list and if I have the $$$$$ I am seriously thinking of purchase if I have the funds when and if.  
    post edited by Clint S - 2013/05/29 21:43:03

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/30 00:28:39 (permalink)

Andy & Clint:
    I do not consider one as being a traitor and its a personal choice... I chose not to support the mouth that bites the hand.. It truly is beautiful water there for salmon, it's just a shame it's only assessable at a high cost..
    America was built on working hard to enjoy lives pleasures.. If that is one then goal accomplished.
    I got some brookies in mind for the black fly filled region of tug hill Friday ;)

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/30 07:05:27 (permalink)
    The black flies should be pretty well done on the hill by now, but , Oh my, watch out for the deerflies.  Unlike ADK deer flies, that buzz around and make a nuisance of themselves before landing to take a bite, these guys use the ears and neck as Drive/Fly through windows, and barely slow down before leaving the blood running down your neck!

L13
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/30 07:23:18 (permalink)
    Tuna all pretty much a sarcastic joke ;)

Black flies were quite mild this season with the up and down weather i suppose...

No deer flies yet but today may brake the ice... you aint kidding lucky... they are like a hit and run... nasty fukkers they are and ive yet to see them stay away from any repellent
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/30 08:03:06 (permalink)
      The privatization of river portions is certainly worth the interest and resulting opinions afforded here.-Of that there is no doubt. That there may be pros and cons in those opinions and observations  is also more than noteworthy.
       There are ,however IMHO , several clear underlying factors involved in the resulting opinions- am not 100% sure where I stand on many of them but I sit here and try to understand them all with equality and attempting to remove personal interests in the effort to look at it from a purely common sense and reasonable manner..
      First the Fishery was generally CREATED by various Govts  including US, Canada and a variety of States and Agencies dedicated to  restoration  of what had become a relatively dead Great Lakes fishery. In that regard the Lakes in general are kind of what Tuna described in  a NY river recently-a fake fishery- IMHO this is not a negative statement  but simply an observation about stocked non native fishes.. YES-- many if not most of the species we so eagerly chase are introduced and not native to  waters throughout the US today- not just the SR..
       Accepting that reality I guess the next step would be to look at the Fishing Public's ability to enjoy the condition that has resulted- not just in the SR. Frankly it seems to be accepted well across the Country with stocked fishes and introduced species generally becoming the main attraction.
     If we only were able to fish for Natives species- which many would  likely prefer to do -- there would frankly be such limited fishing opportunities most of us would likely be prohibited from even trying. Too many folks and not enough places without damaging fragile ecosystems would result. Therefore- Stocked Introduced  species.
      As we tend to fish what has become the 'poster river' in the now famed Great Lake fishery for the aforementioned stocked intro species we are faced with larger issues and realities. Public access is of course our recent main concern as it is ever evolving.
       Like Bear mentions he will not be able to just walk across the Street to go to his favorite rock anymore because of NEW access issues. Andy mentioned he still feels the pay to play is reasonable enough and enjoys the waters  in the lower river.        
        These are issues that are near and dear to most all of us myself included- I have lamented the NO signs found on more and more private property along the congested River for some time observing more limited opportunities- Privatization was sure to follow and I fear it is far from over.
       Bottom line IMHO is the States responsibility to maintain PUBLIC rights to as much River or Lake access as possible to insure Public opportunities to the Public financed fishery.  The reality is that for a long time now we have become used to bening able to fish from Private properties on the River and that is changing.
       Actually when ya take a look at the big picture the Boating fishermen on the Lake have been facing similar conditions for years- MOST boats are not stored or launched from Public places but from expensive Private places.
      No answers - just some thoughts about realities some of us are having 'issues' with..
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/30 08:40:28 (permalink)
    Good points and general obvservations trevor... i do know of actual properties in which the dec has approached owners to buy the rights along the bank for public fishing rights.... they even leave the owner with the right and ability to dismiss someone if they feel as if the person is a nuisance or threat... unfortunately though the offering price is usually too smal and wh ywould any private owner in their right mind give up something that is theirs????

Big thanks should go out to NIMO and the land that they shedded in direct coordination with the dec. They sold the public fishing rights to the dec before it was given to any agency. Maybe 1-2 miles of river bank that we can use for public fishing...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/30 09:42:59 (permalink)
    Spot on with the prices Andy -IMHO. SR frontage is likely at a premium compared to out of the way places deep in the Country.
     With limited budgets its likely a big issue to buy in these fiscal times and folks go for the biggest land buys for the dollar one may well believe.
     That said there is never a good time to buy or hefty Govt  accounts for such things.
     Squeaky wheel kinda thinking, but getting guys together for a big push on SR frontage would be difficult. Have tried that' contact the Govt ' thing many times and despite lots of crowing from time to time by concerned folks its a lonely adventure.
     Still worried bout the Ballpark 'issue' that we heard last year. Loss of that would impact the rest of the River in a big way with fisherman pressure- local dollars too one may think.
     One may well think a nice cooperative property tax credit would go along with the river frontage thing- But the locals may not go a long with that.
    post edited by retired guy - 2013/05/30 09:44:53
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/30 10:48:04 (permalink)
    There is a tax brake trev but nothing crazy. It is taxed as a sepetate parcel. Again though, why would a proerty owner either new or old take an offer like that??? It would be comparable to building a public path through your property... demand or seizure of waterfront property by the state would be comparable to folks losing property to eminent domain... my take and opinion is it is what it is. Im sure everyone is proud of what they own and wouldnt want it taken... sorry for beating the dead horse
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge/ Altmar school update 2013/05/30 19:27:18 (permalink)
    Off topic, but in this one Andy is right the Chigger (black fly)  dance was very minimal this year.   Almost non existent compared to other years.   The deer flies have started to make and emergence and had a few dive bombing me last week and tonight.   If one lands on your person you pretty much have to beat yourself to a bloody pulp to kill them.   I have smacked them hard enough to leave 5 finger marks only to have them shake it off give me the finger and fly away.   They are brutal.   A bit of info they are attracted to shiny surfaces and for some reason the color blue  (brighter, not navy)  sostay away from that color

Jump to: