Mentored adult hunting? ...seriously??

Author
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
  • Reward points: 0
2013/05/21 10:03:56 (permalink)

Mentored adult hunting? ...seriously??

I hear that this has passed and awaits signing of the gov.?   This may be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.   All we hear is how cheap a hunting license is when its time for pgc to beg for a fee increase, yet now, its too expensive for recruitment of hunters??   If a guy doesn't wanna spend 20 bucks to hunt, we'll just lett'm hunt for a buck or two??

I hear this gives pgc ability to allow it for up to THREE years?   Really....they need 3 years to decide if they want to pay $20 to hunt or not?

I can only imagine how many buck will be killed in the names of wifey, brothers, cousins sons sisters and etc that don't hunt.  All those couthless individuals that had friends or family, spouse etc. buy a license with intent of filling it themselves instead of the person that actually bought them can now buy what..12 or 15 for the price they used to pay for one?

And of course to top off all this stupidity, it also had to include a doe tag transfer ability. lol. (and of course the intent wasn't to kill more deer, despite the fact two well known environmentally minded herd reduction proponents authored the bill,   lol).

All I can say is....amazing. lol
post edited by wayne c - 2013/05/21 15:13:39

7 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re:Mentored adult hunting? ...seriously?? 2013/05/21 12:42:23 (permalink)
    If an adult isn't willing to or able to cough up $20 for a "real" license which provides close to 6 months of hunting opportunity, are these really the kind of people who will stick with hunting after a year or two mentored hunting?  

This is a complete joke.  

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    Re:Mentored adult hunting? ...seriously?? 2013/05/21 15:43:18 (permalink)
    I made one small mistake..  This HAS already been signed a week or so ago by the governor.  Its a done deal.    Awaiting whatever pgc wants to do with it.

The author of the bill also said that she discussed this proposal ahead of time with pgc before taking it to the legiscritters, so it was either their idea altogether, or at the very least, they supported its implementation since it has been moved forward.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re:Mentored adult hunting? ...seriously?? 2013/05/21 17:28:09 (permalink)
    Regulations still have to be set. The PGC may or may not do anything with it. Now is the time to let your feelings be known to the commissioners. 

Law states up to three consecutive years. PGC can make it only one or two. PGC will decide which seasons and species may apply. Word intitially was that deer were not on the table but I have not heard if that has changed or not since it has actually passed.

Personally, I cannot find a reason to oppose it. Unlike fish for free days that are highly unregulated, any species, and untrackable, the adult in the mentored program can only participate for a few years, it will be highly regulated, it will be safe and it will be tracked to see if carry over to a regular license happens. Plus the PGC at least gets something out of it, money wise via the permit. 
    post edited by dpms - 2013/05/21 17:29:44

My rifle is a black rifle
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re:Mentored adult hunting? ...seriously?? 2013/05/21 19:09:27 (permalink)
    Do these people have to take and pass a hunters safety course first and do you check to see if they're legal to handle a gun.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re:Mentored adult hunting? ...seriously?? 2013/05/21 19:14:34 (permalink)
    Walleye jigs
    Do these people have to take and pass a hunters safety course first and do you check to see if they're legal to handle a gun.

They do not. Just as mentored youth do not. It will be highly regulated so that the mentored hunter cannot carry the gun while in the field and they must be within arms reach of the mentor while stationary and holding the firearm. After the mentored period is over,  HTE must be passed before they can purchase a regular license. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    Re:Mentored adult hunting? ...seriously?? 2013/05/21 21:56:03 (permalink)
    I was totally against this and told Sen. Scarnati as much one day several weeks ago...  but it looks like it is a done deal..

A stupid deal .... IMHO...

I can see not asking a 10 or 12 year old to buy a junior or regular license but see NO REASON what so ever an adult should not have to spend the $20...

I said ---  let some one who does not or has not hunted before buy a license and "try it" as a mentored hunter with another hunter to see what it is like... without needing HTE for a year or two ===  but not a cheap mentored license and no HTE ....

NO WAY ...

just another way to divide what hunters we have ...
    and a way for the PGC to gain a few more "complainers".....

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    Re:Mentored adult hunting? ...seriously?? 2013/05/21 23:33:39 (permalink)
      First time I ever Turkey hunted was in Millerton NY. just over the Ct line. 
       Went there several times that first year and DID NOT bring a gun- fulfilled  the normal Hunting lisence requirements and bought an outa State  tag and went and learned the game from a guy who agreed to MENTOR me..
       Was in my 40s at the time, and NO he did NOT fill my tag too., he was a Sportsman.
     Dumbest law I ever heard of-makes all the schools and firearm safety stuff we have to do for a tag seen outright worthless- hope it doesnt catch on here.
    post edited by retired guy - 2013/05/21 23:37:53
    Jump to: