LockedPresque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
browngator63
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points: 0
2013/04/11 15:41:55 (permalink)

Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship)

Trying to spread the word about a tournament series I am organizing for this summer. Five events at Presque Isle Bay this summer. Any comments or questions please post and I will follow-up. 
Event Dates: June 23  -  July 7  -  July 21  -  September 8  -  September 22
This is a team event with up to 2 anglers per boat. Combine your best 4 fish. Weigh in is limited to Largemouth Bass only, must measure 15 inches or greater. My permit limits event to 49 boats, so please register online early to secure your spot. Fish any 4 events at any of the tournament locations (Presque Isle, Cleveland, Central, Detroit) and qualify for the Championship. $5,000.00 Guaranteed to the Series Championship team. The 2-day Championship event will be held October 12th and 13th in West Harbor, OH.

32 Replies Related Threads

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/11 16:09:18 (permalink)
    No contest........Slick and I can win this hands down. Whoz makin us sammiches.

Can I use my kayak?
    Do we need to be in the same boat?
    Can I use live bait?
    Am I allowed to get out and wade?
    Can I use more than 3 rods at a time?

All valid questions without a link to the rules? Do have a link to view?

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    MisterZ
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/11 18:59:45 (permalink)
    Did I read that right, "Largemouth Bass only"?

As in, "no smallmouth"?
    flyfisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 148
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/11 20:24:37 (permalink)
    Oh snap! I think deetz and slick are getting called out! You guys may have to enter just to show these dudes in 60,000 bass boats how its really done. I think some of the good ole Erie boys would show up alot of these "pros." Especially since its on water they have been fishing for decades...Just sayn'
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/11 20:49:04 (permalink)
    I'll make the sammy's. I dont want my arms to hurt from rakin in monster bass all day.

BH
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/11 21:41:34 (permalink)
    jimmytwotime

deetz4352

No contest........Slick and I can win this hands down. Whoz makin us sammiches.

Can I use my kayak?
    Do we need to be in the same boat?
    Can I use live bait?
    Am I allowed to get out and wade?
    Can I use more than 3 rods at a time?

All valid questions without a link to the rules? Do have a link to view?

you need a bass boat with a livewell like any other bass tourney.
    and I doubt you would even place in top 30. These guys are pros

Yer probably right jimbo , We would never be in the top 30. We would be in the top 5. We have fished the bay for over 20+ yrs. Problem is we dont have the money for a 60000 dolla bass boat with a livewell and gear. Which was provided for us by sponsorship. I wonder if we could get "the outlaws" to sponsor us???

Never fished a tourney before , wanted to know all the rules.

I only asked where the link was to the rules and sign up. Thats the reason for the questions cause there was going to be a follow up to any questions asked.

flyfisherman - you nailed it.....  HOWEVER , put us on a body of water we dont know and we would have to figure it out just like any of the pros would. We would only have the advantage in the bay which is why Im confident we could do very well.

The Deetz
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/11 22:52:40 (permalink)
    Do I read this correct: there are five tourny dates @ PI ,  along with tournys going on @ three other locations? Championship payout is $5000 with the potential of almost 200 boats(50 from each locale-4). Depending on what the entrance fee is someone could be making a lot of money - and it doesn't seem like it's the fishermen. Or am I missing something in this equation? Somebody help me out, not real familiar with this type of tourny.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    peeta08
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 02:02:36 (permalink)
    I assume this is it......http://www.greatlakeslargemouthseries.com/

I like how the entry form asks for you social security #

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 06:20:11 (permalink)
    Deetz...I'm 100% with you, we can/would win. I've got a live-well,  a 5 gallon bukit.

Prize money seems weak for this sized event....sounds like somebody might be a little greedy.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 06:24:07 (permalink)
    On a separate note....considering the Outlaws are the kindest and most generous people I've ever met.....I'm POSITIVE sponsorship would not be any problem.....we should show these yahoos up in plastic tubs....jus sayin.

I choose Little Cleos

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 07:16:30 (permalink)
    So do you want me to make the samiches or not?

BH
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 07:24:03 (permalink)
    Only if you wash your hands...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 08:29:01 (permalink)
    peeta08

I assume this is it......http://www.greatlakeslargemouthseries.com/

I like how the entry form asks for you social security #

I do not see where that is needed ,  Im not giving that info up though......

The Deetz
    shmoe
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 09:26:44 (permalink)
    How they gonna discriminate on the yaks.. Bass boats are for florida seniors
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 09:34:18 (permalink)

Qualifier Tournaments and Championship
    a. Each Division will consist of a minimum of (4) Qualifier Tournaments.  Prize money and plaques will be awarded at each event.
    . Teams must fish a minimum of (4) Qualifier Tournaments to be eligible into the Championship. Teams may fish Qualifier Tournaments across Divisions to achieve eligibility. Teams may buy-in (1) tournament.
    Entry fee into individual Qualifier Tournament will be $100.00 and Championship Tournament will be $150.00 per Team. A $10.00 fee will be charged for entries received day of tournaments.
    . Any Team entering tournaments must become a member of G.L.L.S. with annual membership fee of $50.00 per Team (1 or 2 anglers). Teams will be allowed (1) Alternate per year during Qualifier Tournaments with no additional fee. Any additional Alternates will be required to pay a $25.00 membership fee. Any Alternate fishing the Championship must pay a $25.00 membership fee.    Eligibility of Participants
    All tournaments will be open only to current G.L.L.S. members.  Competitors must be at least 16 years of age to compete without an adult and if under the age of 18 must have a waiver and parental consent form signed before competing.
    Teams can be comprised of single angler or two persons.
    During competition days, no competitor shall operate a boat unless the competitor has documented proof of at least $300,000 per occurrence boating liability.  Such documented proof must be in the boat at all times and random checks will be done at each event.  Random checks will be chosen by assigned boat numbers at each event and these numbers will be changed for each event.
              Practice and Competition
    All G.L.L.S. tournament waters will be off-limits beginning at 12:01am the day of event.
    . During competition days a competitor may only accept help from another competitor within the event.
    During the official competition days a competitor may use a CB Radio, a VHF Marine band radio, or cell phone only in a case of emergencies.  Using such devices to help catch or locate fish is prohibited.
    . The Tournament Director(s) or Appointed official(s) have the right to enter any registered boat for inspection as long as the owner occupies the boat.  Permission should be requested.
                Tournament Entry and Registering
    Teams are encouraged to use the available online payment option. www.greatlakeslargemouthseries.com All mailed entries must be received no later than 48  hours prior to the tournament day.    
    Teams may register for one event at a time or the entire season.
            c.  Registration will begin at 5:00am morning of tournament.
    Starting boat position will be drawn at registration.
      Phone in registration will not be accepted.
              Boater Safety
    . Safe boating conduct must be observed at all times.  Competitors must wear a US Coast Guard approved chest type vest at all times when the combustible engine is running.  This vest must be zipped, snapped or strapped on securely.  The boat driver must have the kill switch attached anytime the engine is in gear.
      Tournament officials have the right to cancel, delay or shorten competition at any time.  Tournament waters may also be restricted at anytime in case of bad weather.
    All state regulations and requirements will be observed at all times.  In the case of any special regulations, the Tournament Director will post or announce any such regulations.
        Sportsmanship
    . Competitors in any G.L.L.S. sanctioned event are expected to use a high standard of sportsmanship at all times.
    [font=""verdana","sans-serif"; font-size: 12pt"]b. Any infraction of such sportsmanship may be grounds for disqualification
      Use of alcohol or drugs (other than those purchased over-the-counter or prescribed by a licensed physician) by any competitor during the practice or during the tournament will not be tolerated and shall be cause for automatic disqualification from this and all future G.L.L.S. tournaments. No alcoholic beverages, other stimulants or depressants, prescription or otherwise, shall be allowed in the boats during official practice or competition days, or when in the weigh-in area. st be practiced at all times, especially with regard to boating and angling in the vicinity of non-competitors who may be on tournament waters. Any act of a competitor which reflects unfavorably upon efforts to promote fisheries conservation, clean waters and courtesy, shall be reason for disqualification.
          Tackle and Equipment . Only artificial or biodegradable baits are to be used during competition days.  No live bait or prepared baits are allowed with the exception of bottled pulled pork.
    . All rods must have a maximum length of 8 feet.
      Competitors may only use one rod at a time.  Other lines that may have an opportunity to catch a fish must be out of the water before another cast is made.
              Horsepower Regulations
    . The maximum horsepower allowed in all G.L.L.S. events will not exceed 300 hp.
    . Horsepower cannot exceed the US Coast Guard regulations or the manufacture rating plate.
    Upon registration, each angler agrees to an inspection of their outboard if requested by the tournament staff.
              Boat and Motor
    . During competition days, all boats must have an operable kill switch with a lanyard not exceeding 2 feet in length.
    b. Boats less than 14 feet in length are prohibited.
    Additional gas tanks other than the ones installed by the manufacture are prohibited.
    . Stick steering is prohibited and shall be defined by the Tournament Director(s).
    . All boats must have an operating livewell that will be inspected prior to the start of each tournament.
    All boats will have operable navigation lights that will be inspected prior to the start of each tournament.

Fishing Locations
    Tournament waters will be designated by the Tournament Director(s) and will be announced or posted prior to each event.  All competitors must abide by all lake regulations at all times.  The Tournament Director(s) has the right to make off limit areas for the purpose of live –release for (2) two-day events.  Only waters accessible to the public are open.  An angler may not leave their boat to access a fishing area.
                Competitors Must Remain in the Boat
    . A competitor may not leave their boat to land a fish or to help access an area of the lake.  An angler may however leave their boat to help retreat from an area.
    b. In case of an emergency situation, competitors should call 911 first then notifies the Tournament Director(s) or other Tournament Official(s).
    In case of a rescue situation, the Tournament Director(s) must be contacted, and then an angler may ask for assistance from another competitor to help with returning to the weigh-in area.
    . The G.L.L.S. will not ask a competitor to strand their boat.  One competitor can stay with the vessel while the other returns to the weigh-in area.  In the case of transporting the days catch, the Tournament Director(s) must previously verify the number of fish for each competitor and the catch must be tagged for separation purposes.
    In the case that an angler receives permission from the Tournament Director(s) to leave their boat, their partner must cease fishing until their return.
    Competitors are allowed to leave the boat to seek safe shelter in bad weather where danger is imminent.

Tournament Scoring
    a. Pounds and ounces will determine all tournament winners.
    . Catch will be recorded by a (5) five fish limit with the lake size regulation in effect (14 inches).  Presque Isle Bay will be a (4) four fish limit with lake size regulation in effect (15 inches). All fish will be measured with the mouth closed, tail fanned or pinched to meet official length.  Any bass that is presented to the official bump board that does not meet the lake requirement will be issued a (1) one-pound penalty.
      Only largemouth bass will be allowed.
    . No culling of a dead fish. 
    e.  There will be an 8 oz. or a .5-pound penalty for a dead fish.
              Late Penalty
    a. Competitors that are not at the official checkpoint designated by the Tournament Director(s) at the described time will be penalized (1) one pound per minute.  A competitor’s catch, for that day only, will be disqualified after 15 minutes.
                Tie Breakers
    . The largest number of fish weighed in by a competitor will break all ties.  The second tie will be broken by the largest number of live fish weighed in by each competitor at that event.  The largest fish weighed in by a competitor at that event will break the third tiebreaker. In the instance that neither competitor had weighed a fish for big bass, the forth tiebreaker will be used automatically.

post edited by Mikastorm - 2013/04/12 09:55:17

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 11:53:06 (permalink)
    Seems fishy...

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    browngator63
    New Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 12:00:29 (permalink)
    Dadgum, sure are a lot of things I could cover...

Not sure why the entry asks for SS#, not my decision. It wasn't required last year, so feel free to leave it off. IMO
    You need a working livewell, that's required for a catch -n- release tournament by the folks at Presque Isle.
    You need a boat. It has to be over 14 feet and under 300hp for insurance reasons.
    It is Largemouth ONLY, the area has plenty of tournaments that require open water runs and large boats to deal with conditions on the lake. This tournament is meant to change things up a bit for people who want something different.
    You are welcome to use flyrods, BUT they have to be 8 feet or less in overall length (which stinks, because the only Tournament Bass fly fishing setup is from Sage and it's like $500.

Payouts are based on participation. If we have 200 boats at the championship this year, payout will be over 5k. We are making a guarantee that the payout for first will be at least $5,000. If 15 boats show up to championship, still a 5k payout. 
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 13:49:42 (permalink)
    Bass boats on Erie make good structure... just sayin'

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    browngator63
    New Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 14:04:08 (permalink)
    I agree. That's one of the reasons we are keeping this around Presque Isle Bay. I know some guys at the Cleveland tournament run all the way to Mentor! More power to em'
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 16:15:33 (permalink)
    I found a "sponsor" for us Slick.

Baldwin Bro's - I know people who know people that contact people. We're in !!!

They saved so much money not having Cabella's build they have agreed to help us fish this tourney. We will be getting a Nitro Bass boat , 250 Merc 4 stroke engine , 2 power poles , Min cota 60lb trust trolling motor , 6 rods each , and terminal gear worth $1000 . I cant wait, ITS ON !!!

The Deetz
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 17:48:57 (permalink)
    Can we sell the bote after the tournament? I like my yak better.

I choose Little Cleos

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 18:37:42 (permalink)
    deetz4352

I found a "sponsor" for us Slick.

Baldwin Bro's - I know people who know people that contact people. We're in !!!

They saved so much money not having Cabella's build they have agreed to help us fish this tourney. We will be getting a Nitro Bass boat , 250 Merc 4 stroke engine , 2 power poles , Min cota 60lb trust trolling motor , 6 rods each , and terminal gear worth $1000 . I cant wait, ITS ON !!!

Do you get COOL shirts with all the decals too ????

Hope those gents remember the laws about blasting by waders in the bay....

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 19:20:26 (permalink)
    jimmytwotime

deetz4352 

We will be getting a Nitro Bass boat , 250 Merc 4 stroke engine , 2 power poles , Min cota 60lb trust trolling motor , 6 rods each , and terminal gear worth $1000 . I cant wait, ITS ON !!!

so what you still wont place in the top 30.

Haters gonna hate.....

The Deetz
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/12 19:39:54 (permalink)
    Nevermind...I dunno wanna fish. I likes Bingzys idear. Worth way more than 5k to me...I can make a point I've been tryin to make for years on PI.....Slow down in my yard...The laws are in place for a reason. Maybe I'll take this opportunity to make a point, and hopefully gain some enforcement of the distance and wake rules on PI. It's been a problem for years.  I may sit it my yak with my new smart as fluck phone....I gots apps for that. My phone takes up close HD vid as well....nice zoom on that thing. No disrespect intended to safe boaters....I can just see this being a mess for kayakers and waders.

I choose Little Cleos

browngator63
    New Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/15 13:38:03 (permalink)
    Got confirmation about the two issues.
    1. YES Tiller motors will be allowed.
    2. Social Security number is only needed if we cut you a check at end of tournament.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/15 15:38:54 (permalink)
    This should be no different then any day in May when the smallies are in there.....way too many boats buzzing around within 25' of each other.

I avoid the bay like the plague.  Prefer to launch at Lampe and head to open water.....away from people!
    browngator63
    New Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/18 15:24:34 (permalink)
    Thankful to GoErie and YourErie for putting the tournament schedule in the news!

GoErie Article     YourErie Article
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/18 16:01:01 (permalink)
    Ill be in the " NO WAKE " zones waiting for googans flying by. Ill make sure all the potato launchers are ready to go. We will be firing potatoes at all boats exceeding the NO WAKE zone speeds.

The Deetz
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/18 16:22:19 (permalink)
    Can I bring mine Deetz ????

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    Re:Presque Isle Fishing Tournaments ($5,000 Championship) 2013/04/19 08:23:44 (permalink)
    YES , that would work perfectly at the monument area. That whole area is a NO WAKE zone. Set it up bring lots of coffee and 2 bags of potatoes. 

Maybe we could get Tim to bring his Trebuchet punkin chuck-er. Throw some 10lb punkins at em too. If memory serves me correctly he can throw them punkins just over 100 yards.

The Deetz
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: