If the pgc goofy or what?

Author
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
  • Reward points: 0
2013/03/06 13:23:50 (permalink)

If the pgc goofy or what?

Was checking out pgcs facebook page, and aside from most of the usual crap there that makes it look like a brochure for disney land with baby animals & birds everywhere, found something else pretty interesting. 

An old picture with question, can you name this person?

Yeah.   Several people named that person alright.

The person was "Rachel Carson".   Enviro-whacko.  Best known for her fighting against pecticides that effect bird eggs, but a very extreme type to say the least.  

Anyway, there is also something else she was well known for... Her staunch ANTIHUNTING ideals.   Here is a statement from the book she is best known for:

“Until we have the courage to recognize cruelty for what it is—whether its victim is human or animal—we cannot expect things to be much better in this world. We cannot have peace among men whose hearts delight in killing any living creature. By every act that glorifies or even tolerates such moronic delight in killing we set back the progress of humanity.”

That quote is also plastered across some of the antihunter boards who look up to this brilliant role model.

I see that the administrator of the board says that he/she had been removing many posts because of what people are posting in reply to the picture, yet didn't take the picture down either, despite several saying that the person is a known antihunter.

Now pgc has had ugly "ties" with hsus in the past, lobbying alongside them in Harrisburg...   They have "sprung" deer contraceptive policies on us, they continually try to give hunters less and less say in matters.   And routinely bash us, such as the rubber ball comments not long ago, and many times in the past also.

Now if some pgc "cheerleader" wants to whine about me "bashing" pgc needlessly, well I don't particularly give a rats fat arse.   This kind of stuff is getting  absolutely ridiculous at pgc.

Pgc can whine about needing more money.   Well maybe they wouldnt need more than 100 million dollars if we weren't paying for things like having goof balls  sit around on facebook all day glorifying infamous antihunters.
post edited by wayne c - 2013/03/06 13:30:06

28 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/06 14:19:53 (permalink)
    They are not being goofy, they apparently now feel confident enough to publicly show the direction they are heading. They have been slowly changing from a game commission to a enviromental organization over the last 15 years and now have enough people in positions of power that they feel it would be impossible for critics to change the direction they are going. When the BOC changed their rules giving every non-hunter and anti-hunter the same say in managing the game lands and states wildlife as the sportsmen I stated we had lost the battle and we have. Hunters will slowly be pushed out of wildlife management as the deer herd is reduced to levels that predators and natural mortality can offset reproduction as is currently happening with the wolves in the western states.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/06 15:04:13 (permalink)
    Just went back over to look, and the pic is still there, so are the "good" comments, but all of the comments about not liking the pic of an antihunter being there by several posters are gone!   Including the ones that were left to stand previously and not originally removed.  

As for your post s10, I dont have a problem with nonhunters having a say in wildlife matters, and to some extent, they always have.    But to not be against "antis" as a wildlife management agency whose funding for wildlife and also management of game species through HUNTING depends on it...    To treat antihunters as if they are "equals" and even go out of ones way to do so, while minimizing hunter rrelations...Thats as I said..... GOOFY.  

This isn't the first time this kind of garbage has been posted there either. 

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/06 16:49:57 (permalink)
    Her and her like should have no place on that page.

My rifle is a black rifle
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/06 17:07:27 (permalink)
    The more I read the more I do not like. No doubt she has done some good but I am not sure that a woman who has become a idol for "eco-feminists" is a good figure to showcase on the PGC page.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/06 17:34:32 (permalink)
    Her antihunting stance had to of been known by the pgc staffer that posted the piece and even if not, it was pointed out in posts dating back 5 days ago.  The staff replied more than once since, and has stood by their post, even going as far as to lie about posts being removed. (which I had read, and contained no vulgarities whatsoever, just called out pgc for having that on their page).

Eco-feminist? lol.   Some might have other labels for her as well. lol.   

"Shortly after the publication of The Sea Around Us, Carson left her position at the Fish and Wildlife Service to devote her time to writing. She also purchased a home on the coast of Maine, which she used as a summer home for the rest of her life. Carson never married, and some biographers believe she may have had a "romantic friendship" with Dorothy Freeman, a neighbor in Maine and a fellow nature-lover." 

Welcome to the Pa game commission of 2000's dpms. lol...  I'm just glad that an agency who looks so highly on antihunter ecofeminists are the ones in charge of our sport.  Btw, this isnt some temp. work secretary posting this crap.   Its the high ranking staff member,  director of education himself Mr. Neville if Im not mistaken.   I believe he is the one in charge of that board, and he is the one that was replying to the posts in the thread.

post edited by wayne c - 2013/03/06 18:09:41

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/06 17:53:31 (permalink)
    Seeing some hunters supporting her being featured on the FB page. What a crock.

Who's next. The crew from Whale Wars?

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/06 18:08:23 (permalink)
    I couldnt imagine many hunters would support that.   I didn't see anyone posting there that supported it that claimed to be a hunter.  And other than someone just wanting to stir the pot, or someone lying about being a hunter, I don't think you are going to to see it.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/06 18:36:50 (permalink)
    I started telling anyone who would listen starting in 2005 that this is what was happening and caught a lot of flack on here about my tin foil hat.  I also wrote to the BOC and politicians  complaining about what was going on. All most folks on here wanted to talk about was the big buck they saw as a result of AR.  Well guys, it's too late now. The hunters lost, get over it. The next step is changing their name to Pa Wildlife Commission. Enjoy the scraps while you can.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/07 10:56:36 (permalink)
    The hunters lost, get over it

What did I lose ????

As of now I still have my guns
    easier and faster access to get my licenss
    more seasons to hunt game
    more weapons to hunt with

still have my love for all wildlife and the outdoors
    still have my childhood desire to protect our environment and habitats for wildlife

in fact I can now see some animals regularly that I could never see as a child.. coyotes and fishers come to mind quickly...  and what about bears.. they are now in every county... ??

Have always know there were folks "out there" against hunters and hunting ... they will ALWAYS be there... they have that RIGHT to disagree with hunters or anyone else...  what's it called ??? oh yeah freedom of speech...

I realize there always have been people complaining/disagreeing about the PGC, PFBC, DCNR, conservationists, and the government , and yes even politicians..  no matter what any of them they do... remember you can not satisfy all the people all the time..

personally I could care less whose picture the PGC puts on their webpages  .. that thing (webpages) has SUCKED since day one...

so not sure just what I, personally, have lost...??????

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2013/03/07 11:02:33
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/07 11:32:34 (permalink)
    Maybe not alot at this moment and maybe nothing[except choice to take a small buck] in our effective lifetimes but our hunting legacy is going away quickly. The foundations have been set and the blocks are starting to be put up....WF
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/07 12:08:41 (permalink)
    Have always know there were folks "out there" against hunters and hunting ... they will ALWAYS be there... they have that RIGHT to disagree with hunters or anyone else... what's it called ??? oh yeah freedom of speech...

Sorry Doc.   But I dont expect the agency in CHARGE OF HUNTING to be posting such drivel. PERIOD.  Especially when we are payin for their friggin very existance.   If some idiot pgc employee wants to post such anonymously on some random message board, fine.   Nobody could trace it back to them anyway.   But this is pgc posting on a pgc page.  -Unacceptable.   Even left it up after 5 days of being pointed out (now 6) and even after deleting peoples posts who complained instead of just removing the trash.   

Just more evidence of how  cleaning out the ranks at pgc is BADLY needed.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/07 16:51:22 (permalink)
    Doc, Remember---I said "The Hunters Lost"
    1. The PGC has nothing to do with you still having your guns
    2. I question the easier and faster but it's a mute point anyway
    3. Most hunters wouldn't consider more seasons to hunt a already depleted resource  a plus.  Many are quitting
    4. Most hunters don't consider more weapons to carry around looking for the depleted resource a plus. Many are quitting
    5. The love of wildlife and outdoors has nothing to do with hunting or the PGC. Many anti-hunters share that love.
    6. Your childhood desire has nothing to do with the PGC or hunting. Many anti-hunters share that feeling
    7 While non-hunters and anti-hunters share your feeling about coyotes and fishers hunters have watched in dismay while game populations plummet as their numbers have increased.
    8.  Hunters have a real problem with the PGC promoting anti-hunters or their agenda.

The statement wasn't directed at you
    post edited by S-10 - 2013/03/07 16:52:40
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/07 17:42:04 (permalink)
    Dr. Trout
    Have always know there were folks "out there" against hunters and hunting ... they will ALWAYS be there... they have that RIGHT to disagree with hunters or anyone else...  what's it called ??? oh yeah freedom of speech...

There are alot out there and yes, they have the freedom of speech. It is kinda hard to fathom, though,  why a game agency would provide a platform for them.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/07 18:28:03 (permalink)
    I don't have PGC as a friend on facebook, so really do not know what purpose the post was made .... but I certain feel that not that many people have or will see it anyhow...  maybe just a simple case of bad judgemeny..
    it certainly does not mean "the sky is falling"

As for S-10 post #3 and #4 .. I like how he uses the word MOST...
    I rather say some hunters this or that while others (some others) feel differently..

I am postive the majorty of hunters would love more seasons and days to be afield and and more opportunities for hunting.
    just look at any Sunday hunting thread.. see how many guys want an extra day for hunting

Finally I still am a firm believer that the PGC is not the entire reason we have depleted game populations..

losing more and more woods to developments of many types does not help game populations

less and less farming also lowers game populations

more and more poor or fair habitat does not help either

It's just not the hunters, PGC or predators hurting our game populations.

As I stated not much has change in Pa as far as some hunters are happy and some are not. I still hear less negative adittudes everyday at work talking to hunters or at our hunting clubs or events... than I do the negative ones..

now if I was to hang at the local pub and use that as a basis . I may hear differently .. I'd still beat it would be close to 50-50 at the worst..

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/07 18:35:13 (permalink)
    I don't have PGC as a friend on facebook, so really do not know what purpose the post was made .... but I certain feel that not that many people have or will see it anyhow...  maybe just a simple case of bad judgemeny..
    it certainly does not mean "the sky is falling"

As for S-10 post #3 and #4 .. I like how he uses the word MOST...
    I rather say some hunters this or that while others (some others) feel differently..

I am postive the majortiy of hunters would love more seasons and days to be afield and more opportunities for hunting.

just look at any Sunday hunting thread.. see how many guys want an extra days for hunting, why heck some even want it for small game and I see far less pheasants and rabbits than I do deer

Finally I still am a firm believer that the PGC is not the entire reason we have depleted game populations..

losing more and more woods to developments of many types does not help game populations

less and less farming also lowers game populations

more and more poor or fair habitat does not help either

It's just not the hunters, PGC or predators hurting our game populations.

As I stated not much has change in Pa as far as some hunters are happy and some are not. I still hear less negative adittudes everyday at work talking to hunters or at our hunting clubs or shooting or hunting events than I do the negative ones..
    now if I was to hang at the local pub and use that as a basis . I may hear differently .. I'd still beat it would be close to 50-50 at the worst..

the sky is not falling on our wonderful sport of hunting

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/07 18:42:16 (permalink)
    My browser HATES facebook... everything is sooooo slow with just the 50+ friends I have .. so don't want to add the PGC ..

and I can not even find what page you guys are talking about with the picture..

can somene supply a link to it ?????
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/07 18:45:56 (permalink)
    https://www.facebook.com/...ion?ref=ts&fref=ts

Gotta scroll down a ways.  It was posted March 1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/07 18:51:51 (permalink)
    All the other side discussions going on here have been beaten to death, so I feel no need to contribute either way.

But it is an absolute disgrace for the PGC to feature Rachel Carson on its FB page.  Not only was she vehemently anti-hunting, her pseudo science has contributed to the deaths of tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of African children from malaria.  IMO, very, very little to celebrate about Rachel Carson, unless you're into pseudo science, anti-hunting and letting people in third world countries needlessly die. 
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/07 19:17:55 (permalink)
    thank you...

not much there so I gues I'll have to go google her and maybe send an e-mail to Harrisburg about the situation  
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/07 21:07:15 (permalink)
     Neville had his chance and blew it.   The nonsense shouldnt have been there in the first place.    Then in the last 6 days, especially earlier on, there were several people whose complaints that went ignored, and in fact were deleted.  He made the conscious effort to basically spit in our faces as I see it.    At this point I dont care if they get rid of it or not.   The sentiment that permits this kinds of **** will still be there, alive and well.   And just because we cant see some asnine ridiculous post any longer if large numbers of complaints basically "forced" them to delete it, and thats the only reason its no longer there, than that isn't going to address the bigger issues just because you can't see the post any longer.  In fact, I hope they keep the dam thing there.   The longer its there, the more people see it.   Does wonders for their credibility among any 'hunter' who has an ounce of common sense.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/07 21:30:23 (permalink)
    the DEP bldg in Harrisburg has Rachel Carson on it, I believe 
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/07 21:45:18 (permalink)
    Not surprising.   From what I know of some that work and have worked at Dep.  Fortunately dep isnt in charge of hunting & hunting license sales don't fund DEP.

Though I don't really need to see her anywhere, preferrably.
    Morons in federal gov'ment also named a wildlife refuge after her.   Ironically hunting is permitted. lol.   Shes probably rolling in her grave every fall because of it. lol.
    post edited by wayne c - 2013/03/07 21:54:51

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/09 17:03:14 (permalink)
    Here is the reply I received from Harrisburg ====

Dave - it has been awhile.  Hope you are doing well.

Here's what I think about the whole Rachel Carson issue:

Social media is different from many types of communication in that it encourages an exchange of ideas, thoughts, opinions, etc.  On the PGC facebook page we simply asked "who is it?"  We didn't endorse anyone, say we agreed or disagreed, say she was part of a hunting heritage - nothing.  Our aim is to encourage CIVIL dialogue and discussion and hopefully engage people in a larger conservation/wildlife conversation.  Remember our theme as set by the strategic plan is "Connect With Wildlife".  This can be done through hunting and many other non-hunting ways.  We welcome both hunters and non-hunters to our facebook page.

Things quickly got out of control because people can't seem to have a civil discourse without attacking each other, calling each other names, using inappropriate language and without respecting other viewpoints.  The moderators have made it clear numerous times that this will not be tolerated so a few posts got deleted.  People forget it is just an issue and they make it personal.

Unfortunately when hunters show intolerance for differing opinions, attack people personally who they disagree with and generally act like selfish, uncivilized neanderthals, we all look bad.  This behavior plays right into many stereotypes and perceptions that all hunters are uneducated, redneck drunks, which  you and I both know is completely untrue.

As you know, being a moderator isn't easy but the bottom line is we expect a certain level of decorum and respect for others.

Hope this helps.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/09 17:56:58 (permalink)
    So the PGC claims they want to grow hunter numbers and they are going to do it by putting up a photo of perhaps the most rabid ANTI-HUNTER of her time on the website paid for with hunter monies for civil dialogue. To not expect pushback from the hunters is idiotic and the person responsible for posting the photo is the one responsible for any negative responses it received.
    I am surprised they had the nerve to send you a letter worded like that. It shows their lack of understanding of the influence of anti-hunters or arrogance and I never considered them to be lacking understanding.

Connecting with wildlife through QUOTE: "non-hunting ways" is the desire of HSUS, Friends of Animals, PETA, etc.  Not hard to see where they are heading.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/09 17:59:34 (permalink)
    Sounds more like an "In your Face" she's there and we endorse it.

Then blast the hunters who have disagreed..... Really ???

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/09 21:01:26 (permalink)
    Amazing.   Absolutely fricken amazing.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/09 21:13:13 (permalink)
    Not too excited about that response.

Wonder who they are gonna throw up there next to help generate good civil discussion? Wayne Pacelle and the crew of Whale Wars.

None of her like have any place on a PGC anything.

just_wanna_fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re:If the pgc goofy or what? 2013/03/10 09:59:53 (permalink)
    after reading that response from the PGC I see no problem for them to run a rebel flag up beside the state flag and of course put a small sign at the bottem stating what is this. in fact I fricken dare them. how about the PGC officers wear swastika's with what is this written on them

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    Jump to: