CWD in Blair and Bedford Co. wild deer

This isn't good:

http://triblive.com/sport...mmission#axzz2MJgUhwg1

8 Replies Related Threads

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    • Reward points: 0
    Re:CWD in Blair and Bedford Co. wild deer 2013/03/01 17:14:29 (permalink)
    We can thank the dam deer farmers and no oversight for this bs.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re:CWD in Blair and Bedford Co. wild deer 2013/03/02 19:31:39 (permalink)
    wayne c
    We can thank the dam deer farmers and no oversight for this bs.

I wouldn't rush to blame deer farms and folks just trying to earn a living and serve their customers. Maybe it is meat, sport, or byproducts. The farming of wildlife is widespread and valuable to all of us. We farm everything from oysters, to trout, to pheasants, to deer, to bison to salmon etc......

It is the lack of oversight with proper containent and testing methods that are the cuase of concern.

My rifle is a black rifle
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re:CWD in Blair and Bedford Co. wild deer 2013/03/02 20:14:15 (permalink)
    It was another lesson we could have learned from the other states that we chose to ignore until it was too late. I am not sure if it's the PGC or the politicians in this case but the proof that game farms had a lot to do with the problem was out there and had been for many years.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re:CWD in Blair and Bedford Co. wild deer 2013/03/02 23:07:43 (permalink)
    You're right dpms.   Doesn't fall as much on the farmers themselves unless they were to have done something unscrupulous to cause this.   But if this is as I suspect linked to deer farms, then I would blame dept of Ag, no ands ifs or buts.   I think everyone and their brother knows stricter regulation & enforcement was sorely needed long before this.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    Re:CWD in Blair and Bedford Co. wild deer 2013/03/03 14:34:53 (permalink)
    Being in Ct I have watched the CWD issue very closely as it has moved slowly Eastward. It has shown up right next door in NY a few years back.
     A few years ago in NY they had basically the very same conditions as you folks in PA are experiencing.
      A deer breeding facility had CWD and then it was discovered in some wild Deer in that area.. 
      The  Facilities appear to be  the culprit and need far more control all over.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    Re:CWD in Blair and Bedford Co. wild deer 2013/03/05 18:35:25 (permalink)
    Remeber that it WAS the deer farmers and their elected politcians  that wanted the PGC OUT OF policing them.... the PGC was "too tough on them" ... so it got sent over to the dept of AG which is so short handed that strict enforcemnet was bound to be less of a concern to the deer farmers......
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    Re:CWD in Blair and Bedford Co. wild deer 2013/03/07 12:21:49 (permalink)
    I heard a rumor a few months ago that one of the deer farms which was later found to have cwd, sold some deer to someone in my area last year. Those deer later escaped from their new home. Hopefully, they are not carriers.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re:CWD in Blair and Bedford Co. wild deer 2013/03/07 12:30:25 (permalink)
    I have heard alot of things like that drake (about several instances of supposed escapees), and I also have heard there has been some very shoddy record keeping making things even harder to track.   Between that and agencies not wanting to be "blamed", we will probably never know the full story of how it got here.

Jump to: