Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
  • Reward points: 0
2013/02/08 16:26:38 (permalink)

Taking a break.

I have a had a routine for the last few years. Get up, get my coffee, read a bit, then sit down at my computer and get on fish erie.  I enjoyed Bings photos, friendly banter, political discussions even when we disagreed.  I enjoyed taking an extra trip to check the creek when someone PM'd me, or to post pictures so that out of towners would know what to expect. I have had disagreements on here with folks, no problem. I have always looked forward to posting and looked forward to the replies. I have noticed a change though. Friendly banter has been replaced with insults, not just to me (that has been rare, actually) but how others are treated on the board as well. I guess that newcomers feel the need to let everyone know that they have arrived and are better, stronger. No problem with that. It has been said that if one does not toot his own horn then said horn will likely go untooted. But  to consistently break the horns of others is wrong. It is immature. It is cowardly. 

My time here has in fact been a party.

But then some folks heard about the party, showed up and peed in the punchbowl.

So, I am taking a little break. Don't know how long yet. Maybe just long enough for the bowl to be cleaned out.

Skip, you can always get a hold me through FB, I liked the PHW page. Thanks for everything you guys do.

See ya later

beagler out

58 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/08 17:30:30 (permalink)
    You can always join the new Outlaw  hangout

Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/08 18:40:43 (permalink)
    Well stated Cbeagler. There has definitely been an unfortunate change to the boards over the past few years and many have noted it as I have received pm's stating so. What ever happened to respecting others even though their opinions may be different or better yet, just plain respecting others??? Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of great people on this site and some are quite impressive as they will go well out of their way to help another. For example, offering their fishing equipment to complete strangers. That is a rare individual indeed! Your posts will be missed Cbeagler!
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/08 18:47:12 (permalink)
    Skip16503

It's fun...hope to see you Craig

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/08 19:01:34 (permalink)
    Totally understand....

I used to really enjoy putting up pics of fishing trips to share with others who might not get out as much.
    But there are getting to be more trolls than good folk and I could careless to share pics with the trolls...

Just an "Old Man Losers" opinion....

I hear those Outlaws could use all the moral and spiritual support they can muster...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/08 19:40:12 (permalink)
    Sorry to see another asset lost.

*Do the owners enjoy seeing this site as it is?*

Skip16503

Where is this?
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/08 19:47:12 (permalink)
    The more things change the more they stay the same----check out the date on this one. Different folks just get tired at different times for different reasons. Most of us have had to take a break from time to time. The site will still be here when your ready to drop in again.

Take a breath CR500 25 669 19-Jan-2005 9:19:50 AM
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/08 19:50:29 (permalink)
    It's unfortunate that you feel that way Bings as there are very many members on this site that enjoy your posts and pictures as well. Any long time member knows how knowledgeable and successful of a fisherman you are, not to mention selflishly willing to help others. Your pictures have been top notch and have inspired others to get out on the water for an enjoyable day and if nothing else, they've been such a pleasure to view. I couldn't believe it that day when one person had verbally attacked you without any good, logical reason, especially so when you are a well respected, long time member of this board. This is exactly the stuff that Cbeagler had referred to. In closing, this isn't just my opinion, it's things I have read in pm's to me and it's also my beliefs. Welcome back Bings! It's good to read a post submitted by you again! I hope you post some more and pictures also .
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/08 20:11:25 (permalink)
    Bummed to see others have beaten you.  One day you shall overcome.  Because you have a dream that one day all  fisherie members will get along and play nice with each other. 

<---  The Holy Trinity
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/08 20:26:42 (permalink)
    I think it's a great tell to look at the "join dates" of those responding so far to this thread and I agree, many of us have taken long breaks and returned.    I believe we need improvements and some reasonable rules, respect being a main one.  We all need not agree, but having respect for others would be a start!
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/08 20:40:26 (permalink)
    Don't take it personal

Don't make it personal

Some have forgotten, some never understood.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/08 21:18:39 (permalink)
    Hope to talk with ya soon Craig, you will be missed.  

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Tracker12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 174
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/08 21:47:05 (permalink)
    It seems forums have a shelf life where all is good then for what ever reason it can get very confrontational.  I frequent a hunting forum that turned absolutely scary in the way some posters attacked some threads.  When that happens it's just time to move on.  
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 06:44:49 (permalink)
    First rule of the Outlaws.....don't talk about the Outlaws because there is no Outlaws.  

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2080
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 08:14:54 (permalink)
    Sad to see you go. You were arguably the most informative Erie local poster on here. your reports will be missed by many.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 08:42:13 (permalink)
    Another one bites the dust. Outlaws???? Sounds scary to me!....WF
    ray126
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 09:31:59 (permalink)
    I can understand.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 09:41:42 (permalink)
    cbeagler

I have a had a routine for the last few years. Get up, get my coffee, read a bit, then sit down at my computer and get on fish erie.  I enjoyed Bings photos, friendly banter, political discussions even when we disagreed.  I enjoyed taking an extra trip to check the creek when someone PM'd me, or to post pictures so that out of towners would know what to expect. I have had disagreements on here with folks, no problem. I have always looked forward to posting and looked forward to the replies. I have noticed a change though. Friendly banter has been replaced with insults, not just to me (that has been rare, actually) but how others are treated on the board as well. I guess that newcomers feel the need to let everyone know that they have arrived and are better, stronger. No problem with that. It has been said that if one does not toot his own horn then said horn will likely go untooted. But  to consistently break the horns of others is wrong. It is immature. It is cowardly. 

My time here has in fact been a party.

But then some folks heard about the party, showed up and peed in the punchbowl.

So, I am taking a little break. Don't know how long yet. Maybe just long enough for the bowl to be cleaned out.

Skip, you can always get a hold me through FB, I liked the PHW page. Thanks for everything you guys do.

See ya later

beagler out

Well said.... and the main reason I only check in once a day or so anymore and rarely post.  Those who I have met through this board are special to me, and always will be.  Most know how to find me and a few I know how to find  
     Bings, the loss of your pics and participation have been noticed... and greatly missed. But I can understand why.  The BS isn't worth it, and you don't owe anyone explanations.  You have contributed much more than most, and given more than most to help others.  Folks who can't appreciate that aren't worth worrying about.
     It's a shame to see the decline...
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 10:36:18 (permalink)
    Craig, I agree. There are a lot of twelve year old "It's all about me" mentalities on this forum lately. It's pretty pathetic actually. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Catch some fish, sir. And don't worry about pics. I've never doubted a thing that I've ever seen you post.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 10:50:34 (permalink)

BINGO, Bings   For the same reasons you don't hear much from me or Plumbob.

Glen

Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 12:20:18 (permalink)
    Bings,  Please keep posting your fish pics. Myself and lots of other people on here enjoy them, and the pics Glen and several others post as well.  Who really gives a sht what the trolls on here have to say about it.
    Cheagler,  Always enjoyed your posts. Good information, helpful.
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 12:50:28 (permalink)
    The 4 posters that I really miss are Bing, Plumb Bob, Glenn and DT.  Not just the same as in the past.  At least we get to read DT's blog with all his great info.  I still miss PB and Glenn's pics of the lunch time meals!!!
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 14:09:12 (permalink)
    You'll be missed but not forgotten. Never met you Graig but love the information you share.

Bings, please keep posting pictures of your outings along with the narratives, love them.  

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    Molson
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 20:16:11 (permalink)
    cbeagler = Quitter....    Wont be missed...
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 20:47:19 (permalink)
    Molson = Joker....  Will never be taken seriously...
    steelhead1994
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 20:52:48 (permalink)
    +1 bloodyhand
    JerryS
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 22:04:05 (permalink)
    I guess that newcomers feel the need to let everyone know that they have arrived and are better, stronger. 

Not just the newcomers.  I have refrained from posting for entirely different reasons.   Most of the post traffic on FishErie comes from a relatively small group of veteran posters that represent a small percentage of the total membership.  Not all, but many of this group have the attitude that this is "their" forum, and they have earned the right to belittle someone who they believe has less fishing skills.

How many times have you seen a newcomer ask for advice only to be ignored or called lazy?  How many times has a newcomer posted pictures of fish and the regulars tell him he is holding the fish wrong, or he should practice C&R, or he shouldn't use bait?  

I hope I did not insult anyone, since that was not my intention.  Just wanted to point out that many of the "old timers" are as much to blame as the brash newcomers.  Not sure what caused it but it's, unfortunately, not isolated to this forum. 

post edited by JerryS - 2013/02/09 22:09:56
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 22:21:47 (permalink)
    Good Point.
    Mabee those veterans should just refrain from posting at all. 
    Nothing but a bunch of Outlaws anyway....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/09 22:24:29 (permalink)
    Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Just sayin'.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/10 01:32:44 (permalink)
    cb , see you on the other side.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: