Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Loopy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1437
  • Reward points: 0
2013/01/27 19:28:13 (permalink)

General Observation

Is it just me or has this forum lost its luster.  I know it's the dead of winter and steelhead fishing is in a little slumber right now, but it's getting a little stale over here.  C'mon guys, say something to jazz this site up a little.  I have a few ideas, but I'm sure they'd last only a few minutes at best.  I mean, personally, I have nothing interesting to say, but somebody should.  So keep it clean people. 
post edited by Loopy - 2013/01/27 19:32:50

<---  The Holy Trinity

56 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/27 19:55:22 (permalink)
    Something serious?  Gets turned political by morons.
    Something interesting?  Gets turned into an argument by morons.
    Something funny?  Gets deleted/banned.
    Catchabigone
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 509
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/27 20:54:40 (permalink)
    How about some fishing bloppers from Bill Dance
    http://www.collegehumor.c...14010/fishing-bloopers

Look to the heavens and thank God everyday that hunting is such a grand part of our lives.
    Ted Nugent

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/27 21:17:09 (permalink)
    Cold's the man. Can i say that?....WF
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/27 22:07:41 (permalink)
    caught 476 bass today in 16 mile creek, n0 j0ke..some1 disagree, wanna fight about it?
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 07:13:38 (permalink)
    I found this "interesting"

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 11:32:16 (permalink)
    Might as well ask this question here:

I've never been to Presque Isle.  Other than the piers, is there anywhere reasonable where  you can fish without a boat? 
    Note: I'd be fishing for smallmouth.
    post edited by Accountant - 2013/01/28 11:42:30
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 11:53:54 (permalink)
    Misery Bay
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 11:56:56 (permalink)
    You can wade almost anywhere.... Just be careful of that next step , it could drop you over yer head. There aint many places there I haven't waded.

If your not wading there are many different piers to fish from all over PI

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 13:23:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for that info.  Its kind of stupid that lake erie is a few hours away and I have never fished there.  I guess I never really knew if it was accessible to people without boats.   I enjoy wading safely and I love the freedom of being able to walk freely instead of staying stationery at a pier.   
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 14:36:06 (permalink)
    Accountant, I'll give you some VERY good advice here... Unless you're prepared to become addicted to Erie, don't start. You'll find that it's hard to fish elsewhere once you get a taste of her...

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9829
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 16:14:48 (permalink)
    bulldog1

Accountant, I'll give you some VERY good advice here... Unless you're prepared to become addicted to Erie, don't start. You'll find that it's hard to fish elsewhere once you get a taste of her...

I've been visiting Erie since I was a baby, and as soon as I started fishing, was fishing there.  Besides stekhead, fishing from shore isn't any better than most inland waters.  Sure, there is great fishing there by those in the know, but same is said of almost any water.  The main lake is rather overwhelming, and most likely only going to catch sheep head unless you know some seasonal movements.  The bay is basically a good fishing inland lake.  Just like any inland water, if you live close enough and put your time in, you're going to be rewarded.  If you are going to count from Elk to 20 Mile "Erie area waters", then you'd have to do the same for just about anywhere that is 30 or so miles apart to be fair in comparison.  IMO, there are a lot of other better "area waters" in PA for the shore angler.

Add a boat worthy of the bay, and that changes the dynamics.  A true Erieworthy fishing boat, and no other PA water comes close.  Also, add in the other attractions that Erie area has that aren't fishing related, and can totally see it being extremely addictive (especially if you have the toys noted above).  
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 16:49:17 (permalink)
    If you make the right contacts with locals the areas that they know (that would admittedly take a person a lifetime to discover) are amazingly productive. Add to that fishing with them and it's a total blast. I made one Erie trip with a boat less than Erie worthy, it was enough to get me to buy an Erie worthy boat. Now I just wish it wasn't 2 hours away, but then again if I were closer I probably wouldn't have fished it as much. I live 20 minutes from Cook Forest and pass through once a year or so...

So, you may be right if he stays away from a boat and doesn't get to know some locals... Otherwise he'll be addicted.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 17:17:30 (permalink)
    No doubt, if you have the right contacts on most waters, you're going to have a blast shedding 10-20 years of trial and error (as noted in my message).  My response was more, just the average shore angler going out and fishing the water.  Not slamming the water in any way, or any of the locals for their hard work figuring it out.  Most of those locals would likely have put that hard work in where ever they lived, and likely be doing pretty well there too.  As noted, the steel head are the wild cards there, and they are there, and part of what you can catch from shore.  And part of why I and many on this board go there.  My response was more towards Accountant, who I am assuming wasn't asking about PI Bay for steel head.  My honest response about fishing there with trial and error, is it isn't much different than wading many other inland lakes with trial and error.  Go during the right time, right place, right bait/lure, and you're going to have a blast.  There are many other stretches of land, that have more access to the shore angler though.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 17:24:46 (permalink)
    I kinda gotta agree with Porktown...I've been fishing the Erie area for only a brief time (maybe 4-5 years now), and if the Erie fishery evaporated into thin air tomorrow, my only regret would be that I already bought my stamp for it this year.

If it a good fishery?  Certainly.  Is it the biggest, most diverse watershed in the state?  Sure.  Is it 'the best'?  While that's clearly a subjective question, for me, it might be a distant third or fourth.

Obviously there's great opportunities for the angler that spends a lot of time learning it's secrets, but that can be said for any fishery.  For a guy looking to fill his freezer, it's the place to be.  For a guy that plans his vacation time around steelhead season, it's obviously the only game in town...but for me, none of that really matters, and it's about my enjoyment of the overall experience.  And for that, while Erie is certainly enjoyable for me, it's not significantly more enjoyable than other fisheries that aren't 3 hours away.

While I enjoy fishing it, my main reason for getting my stamp and making the trip, now, isn't the fish or even the fishing experience...it's really getting a chance to reconnect with the friends I've made up that way.  I really enjoy hanging out with those dUUds, and fishing just provides a perfect excuse to get up there and hang out outside with good people.  If I didn't have any friends up there, I'd never miss it. 
    acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1193
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 17:30:55 (permalink)

Accountant
    Expert Angler
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 17:36:59 (permalink)
    Well, I can only speak for myself but here are my few cents:
    As far as expert knowledge, I have zero expert knowledge of pretty much every single water I fish.  Ive only been fishing "seriously" for a few years (2010 or so).  Before then, I never really fished anywhere other than Twin Lakes.  So certainly I'm going to take my lumps when I try new places. 

The original intent of my question was more or less to get new ideas on new places to try.  And probably my two biggest concerns when trying a new place to fish is not a.) not dying b.) not getting arrested for tresspassing.  So now I know that there is at least a pretty good chance I wont die if i try to wade at PI, I feel pretty good about it. 

And at least for me, I think I remember my failed new fishing trips as much as I remember my successful ones.  I guess at the end of the day, its all about making good memories. 
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 17:49:00 (permalink)
    Twin Lakes?  You from around TL?

If so, and if you're interested, hit me up this spring, brah.  If you've only been at it for 2 years, you still have newbie status as far as I'm concerned.  I'll help ya out some, give you a couple more places to explore in the area.  

It'll still be up to you to put in your time and effort, but I can give you a few places to consider.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 18:13:30 (permalink)
    PI Bay is the greatest place on the face of the earth...nuff said

Accountant...hit me mup this spring, I'll turn ya on.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 18:53:06 (permalink)
    I have to agree with Cold on the statement of being upset if I bought my stamp and it evaporated lol...  It's not my #1,2, or 3 for that matter it's the top 5 but... I can put up better numbers at a lock and dam on the Allegheny, Shenango Outflow, Pymatuning, or the Conemaugh River in the Tunnelton Area...  Eire will sink her teeth into you when you see the quality and sheer # of smallies that you'd be aming for but at times I find myself asking "is it worth the 3hr drive and $50-100 stay?"  And I can answer that either yes or no with a reasonable explanation.  I'm far from trying to dissuade you from making the trip because this past late spring I was there for 4 days and netted some of the fattest and meanest smallies I've ever seen and probably will ever see unless I put a huge time into fishing for them down near Greensburg...  I fish from shore and have found some spots I like but it's all a preference...
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 19:08:04 (permalink)
    I can only think of a few days out of 365 that we mite get skunked fishing around here. Is it too early to start talkin about the 2013 Presque Isle Rake ? I got a pike to smash!

BH
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 21:18:41 (permalink)
    Great post, topdog.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/28 21:29:59 (permalink)
    Slick will not steer you wrong. He will show you a couple great places to smash many different species of fish.

And then ......

There are a couple places he calls " home "

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/29 08:33:29 (permalink)
    deetz4352

You can wade almost anywhere.... Just be careful of that next step , it could drop you over yer head. There aint many places there I haven't waded.

If your not wading there are many different piers to fish from all over PI

There's ain't many places there that I haven't dropped in over my head.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/29 10:04:49 (permalink)
    Geesh, I wasn't seriously tellin' him to stay home... Just wanted to caution him on how addicting it can be... I have never caught fish anywhere that compare to the way they are built in Erie. They are all footballs, from perch to eyes and even the carp... I really don't steel fish, maybe 1 day a year on the tribs and always catch a few on the boat but they are definitely not worth the drive IMO. 

Slick will show you a good time Acct., don't worry when he puts the blindfold on ya... 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/29 11:10:04 (permalink)
    No worries, bulldog, I knew what ya meant, I guess maybe I was tempering that with a bit of guarded realism.  It absolutely is a great fishery. :)
    CroatianSensation
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 209
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/29 11:45:31 (permalink)
    The clientel just isn't the same anymore...A lot of the good people are gone, bored with it, fed up with the gestapo or tired of the favoritism.  Just not what it used to be.

I enjoy watching more these days

Something serious? Gets turned political by morons.
    Something interesting? Gets turned into an argument by morons.
    Something funny? Gets deleted/banned.

Amen! ^

Is Erie and its watershed and its tribs the best fishing PA has to offer?  I'd have to say that if you're looking for variety vs. quality vs. quantity; Its a renounding and undisputable YES....Just think about the opportunities, various waters and various species it has to offer. Not only that, but something to offer ALL year round!  Compared to any other inland waterway in PA including all the rivers and streams.  Of course, if you're a limited fisherman with say native trout in mind, Erie probably isn't the place for you and you would never feel that way. 
    I have fished a lot of PA waters for various species in my lifetime and nothing really comes close to what Lake Erie and watershed has to offer, nothing.  If enjoyment is the keypoint in this conversation, what I say is all debatable, but for quality, quantity and variety of fish and fishing opportunity;  I'm going to have to say indisputable for PA.  Just sayin'
    post edited by CroatianSensation - 2013/01/29 12:10:39

"Nothing Nails Fish Like a Hammer!!"
                       www.hammerlures.com
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/29 12:47:30 (permalink)
    CroatianSensation

The clientel just isn't the same anymore...A lot of the good people are gone, bored with it, fed up with the gestapo or tired of the favoritism.  Just not what it used to be.

I enjoy watching more these days

Something serious? Gets turned political by morons.
    Something interesting? Gets turned into an argument by morons.
    Something funny? Gets deleted/banned.

Amen! ^

Is Erie and its watershed and its tribs the best fishing PA has to offer?  I'd have to say that if you're looking for variety vs. quality vs. quantity; Its a renounding and undisputable YES....Just think about the opportunities, various waters and various species it has to offer. Not only that, but something to offer ALL year round!  Compared to any other inland waterway in PA including all the rivers and streams.  Of course, if you're a limited fisherman with say native trout in mind, Erie probably isn't the place for you and you would never feel that way. 
    I have fished a lot of PA waters for various species in my lifetime and nothing really comes close to what Lake Erie and watershed has to offer, nothing.  If enjoyment is the keypoint in this conversation, what I say is all debatable, but for quality, quantity and variety of fish and fishing opportunity;  I'm going to have to say indisputable for PA.  Just sayin'

CroatianSensation
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 209
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/29 13:00:44 (permalink)

"Nothing Nails Fish Like a Hammer!!"
                       www.hammerlures.com
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re:General Observation 2013/01/29 14:32:35 (permalink)
    I agree wholeheartedly with most of your responses, that the Erie watershed has one of the most varieties of fish, larger on average, and many of them.  Although, I think some of you might be including your boat catches into the equation.  Again, not even questioning Erie as the boat fishing capitol of PA by far.  

If this is not the case and you guys are all doing this well from shore, then I take back my statement.  I obviously am not fishing the bay or lake correctly when I do, if that is the case.  Most likely the wrong time of the year and wrong presentation?  Much of my PI Bay fishing has been during the warmer months or if steel heading is slow.  The shore access itself is great with the bike trail, launches with paths off to the side, and wading to get you in a lot of water.  I'll catch some fish, but do just as well at most other inland waters during the same time period.  When it is early Spring or Fall and in the area, I am usually in the tribs, and don't give up too easily to head into the bay.  I have and saved the trip from total skunking. 

Besides the creek mouths, is there much shore fishing in the lake?  I've tried it before, and not much luck.  It seems to be shallow for a pretty far length out, and snag fest...  I had tried wading out pretty far one time, but get kind of nervous of a rouge wave or the waves picking up quickly.  

Again, not trying to discredit anyone.  My personal success has been about the same as most other inland waters, and many of those were easier to "get to" fish holding water.  Almost none contained 20"+ small mouth in them.  I probably should take my boat up to the bay and then I would likely be falling into the Bulldog warning, more than I have wading the area.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: