New Years crossbow doe

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2013/01/01 20:36:35 (permalink)

New Years crossbow doe

I took advantage of this day off to celebrate another year on this earth and planned this afternoons hunt a few weeks ago. With the cold weather and snow, the field that I wanted to set my blind and hunt was getting some afternoon action by the number of tracks coming from the inside corner. Got everything set up and was settled in by 2:00. Wind was perfect in my face as I set up the camera and ranged some stubble that was left in the field. Right over the camera is where I expected the deer to enter the field.

At 4:00 I caught some motion and saw one deer entering the field. The doe saw or smelled something she did not like and after a few minutes turned and slowly walked back into the treeline. Somewhat dejected, I again began peering through the three windows of the blind that I had open. With 20 minutes of shooting time left, a group of deer again were headed my way. At 15 yards the four yearlings stopped and began pawing the ground for whatever was peft beneath. With no interest in shooting one I enjoyed watching them through the viewfinder of the camera as they eeked out a meal.

From the same trail, I saw three more deer headed my way and immediately could tell two of them were mature does. My heart and breathing picked up instantly as the deer walked right into my setup. With deer already feeding at 15 yards I was confident the others would join them.

The big lead doe followed the script and I had to hold my shot as she displayed her dominance by rearing up on her hind legs while swinging her front hooves to clear the others from the exposed frozen ground. When she turned broadside, the forward safety of the TenPoint crossbow was squeezed, the crease behind the should centered and the Lumenok streaked on through and disappeared under the snow.

The field emptied and I began to gather my thoughts and rewind the footage to verify what I thought was a high double lung. The footage confirmed the hit and I found my arrow three feet behind where the red spot in the snow showed its path.

The snow made trailing easy and I found her piled up just inside the woodline. She is big, mature doe and will top off my freezer for this year. What a year it was. One Pennsylvania 8 point, a spring gobbler and two does with the TenPoint's Carbon Elite, shooting Easton FMJ tipped with ABC Sonics.

2013 started out in fine fashion and I couldn't have imagined it playing out in a better way with a big doe on the ground on New Years Day in the snow!!

My rifle is a black rifle

6 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    Re:New Years crossbow doe 2013/01/01 21:43:46 (permalink)
    Congrats on a great season and hunt -- Hey- how old do you think she is ??
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re:New Years crossbow doe 2013/01/01 21:59:52 (permalink)
    Thanks. I should have looked at her teeth but I didn't. She had a very large head and I would be pretty confident in saying that she was 3.5 plus. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    Re:New Years crossbow doe 2013/01/01 22:02:09 (permalink)
    Agree with the 3.5 plus- nice doe and congrats on the patience.
      Whenever I see that long nose I kinda think-age. May be wrong but its my guideline for their maturity along with the longer looking flat back line. Those 2 things can be usefull when seeing one alone and nothing around for comparison IMHO
     One guys way----
    post edited by retired guy - 2013/01/02 00:12:05
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    Re:New Years crossbow doe 2013/01/02 07:09:49 (permalink)
    Good job!
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8511
    Re:New Years crossbow doe 2013/01/02 11:22:11 (permalink)
    Very nice! Congrats on your hunting success.

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re:New Years crossbow doe 2013/01/02 11:55:18 (permalink)
    Tasty lookin!! If you need help eating that one, give me a call!!!!!!...WF
    Jump to: