rod building on the cheap.

Author
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
  • Reward points: 0
2012/11/15 18:24:44 (permalink)

rod building on the cheap.

I'm looking into getting into rod building. I've done a bit of research here, and other places online. I think I may build my own rod wrapper out of plywood and felt tape. Anybody have any suggestions on a thread tensioner other than a phonebook? Other than the epoxy and thread and whatnot, my other big expense would be the rod dryer. I'm thinking of maybe making a jig to hold my electric drill and just using a zip tie to turn it on a low speed.Is the thread epoxy thick enough that I can just leave it in the wrapper and give it a quarter turn every few minutes? Or would that be asking for trouble? Or am I just being cheap and I should spend the $160 on a starter kit with a real dryer and wrapper. Any input would be great, I know there's some real quality builders on here. Can't wait to hear back.

12 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    Re:rod building on the cheap. 2012/11/15 18:53:56 (permalink)
    You really don't need a wrapper or dryer...  Sure it makes things a bit easier...  a lot of guys use a notched cardboard bow and a heavy book.

And you can turn the rod every few minutes and it will be fine....

The electric drill probably won't work I think it would get hot and the rpm's are hard to control...

If you want to make a dryer use an old Grill  motor they usually turn at 3 or 4 RPM's

schmoe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re:rod building on the cheap. 2012/11/15 22:54:01 (permalink)
    I built several rods using a notched cardboard wader box.  I no use a classy home-made jig which cost about $15 from stuff from Lowe's.  

I've tried a few home made spring or friction tensioners, but none seem to work as good as a thick book (at least so far).

When the threads are drying, turn the rod 180 degrees every fifteen minutes for a few hours, and you'll be fine.

IMHO - don't spend a fortune on your first build.  Consider an affordable kit, because even if it looks great, you'll be thinking about how to make your next build better.  
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod building on the cheap. 2012/11/16 07:17:22 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, I was just worried the epoxy for the thread wraps would be to runny to just give it a turn every few minutes. Really appreciate the insight. You pretty much saved me the cost of my first rod. My first attempt will likely be a fly-spin conversion 4pc travel rod. Probably about 7'6". What fly rod weight would be closest to a light power spin rod, 3, 4, or 5? I'll probably be using it for trout and stream smallies. So ill be fishing floats, smaller plastics, and smaller spinners.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    Re:rod building on the cheap. 2012/11/16 08:08:15 (permalink)
    I see ur in Westmoreland county.  If you need some stuff I live near Murrysville, I have a hand wrapper you can borrow, too as long as you bring it back.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod building on the cheap. 2012/11/16 09:24:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for the offer loomis, I may just take you up on that, though probably closer to Xmas time. I drive through murrysville/export on my way to work every day. I'd like to get a hands on look at one to build my own from.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    Re:rod building on the cheap. 2012/11/16 09:38:33 (permalink)
    FishinGuy

Thanks for the offer loomis, I may just take you up on that, though probably closer to Xmas time. I drive through murrysville/export on my way to work every day. I'd like to get a hands on look at one to build my own from.

Well if you know export you are in business.   Stop over any night of the week, I can certainly start you in the right direction.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod building on the cheap. 2012/11/16 13:28:02 (permalink)
    Thanks again loomis. I'm most of the way through this series of YouTube vids on fly rod building. http://www.youtube.com/us.../videos?sort=da&view=u Trying to learn as much as possible before I get in too deep. It's not nearly as cost effective as I thought it would be, but I think it will be very rewarding once I'm fishing with my home made rods. Any recommendations on cheaper 4pc fly blanks? Or reasonably priced lightweight guides? I've found some blanks in the $40 range, wondering if I shouldn't waste the time and money on them and just go for something better from the get go. I don't fish any real expensive rods now, just wondering if my unrefined taste in rods means I would be just fine with cheaper blanks(to start)
    yamajon248
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:rod building on the cheap. 2012/11/16 16:16:48 (permalink)
    I only started building my own rods a few years ago and am really enjoying the rewards. As far as building your first rod however, I agree with schmoe with purchasing a kit and build it first then work up from there. I bought a kit from the Bay from a guy named Roger, you can easily find him when looking for kits or blanks. After the first cheapie build, I now pick and choose the components that I want and put it all together for a true custom. I learned more from that first build than from any video I ever watched. 
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod building on the cheap. 2012/11/17 07:56:01 (permalink)
    Very good point. Maybe ill start with a couple ice rod kits, or ill maybe rebuild one of my cheapies that doesn't get used any more.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod building on the cheap. 2012/11/17 08:06:15 (permalink)
    Found this nice looking, easy to make thread tensioner poking around some other forums. http://www.rodbuildingfor...ex.php?showtopic=30247
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    Re:rod building on the cheap. 2012/11/17 08:58:46 (permalink)
    FishinGuy
    Maybe ill start with a couple ice rod kits, or ill maybe rebuild one of my cheapies that doesn't get used any more.

You may not want to start on an ice rod.  I found them to be the most difficult rods I've ever built.  Stripping down and re-wrapping one of your junker rods would be a good start for practice.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:rod building on the cheap. 2012/11/17 10:07:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for the insight. I was planning on stripping a couple down to make reamers anyway. Maybe ill just wrap them a few times and maybe attempt to remove and modify a reel seat while I'm at it for practice.
    Jump to: