Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chromemullet
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2012/09/19 01:55:59 (permalink)

spinning setup

I want to set up a rod for fishing the creek mouths with spoons. Has anyone ever tied using spider wire instead of normal mono?...I want to cast as far as I can...what pound lines and length rod?...any good suggestions on a spinning real worth looking at?....I'm hoping to find someone who knows about being able to cast far....I wanna reach that Chrome that's out on the fringes! Is appreciate some serious advice...I know spiderwire costs a lot but I don't care if it works better....I had a kid harassing me saying my ten pound line was too heavy...I figured it would help me keep from loosing as many lures and it wouldn't hurt the bite action because the fish are hitting a fast moving spoon with a huge treble hook on it...how could they possibly care how heavy the line appears?...any thoughts?

56 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 06:55:41 (permalink)
    I use 6lb mono...a 2/5 cleo....and a 9ft med heavy fast action St. Croix. I don't know anyone that can whip a spoon far as me. Maybe you'll be the first.

Losing spoons just happens in the lake...I take a pocketfull.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2080
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 07:42:43 (permalink)
    By "spider wire" do you mean their stealth braid? I prefer power pro for braid, but don't use it for steel. With a long enough leader I'm sure braid would be fine and cast real far.
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 446
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 07:53:38 (permalink)
    Agree on the Power-Pro.

Spider Wire "Stealth" has always given me problems in that there seems to be some kind of coating on it that keeps "peeling" and it makes it look like fuzzy yarn...at least it has for me!

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 08:03:53 (permalink)
    If you do go with any type of braided line for the casting/small diameter of it just remember to be very light on your drag and hopefully you have a pole that can absorb the shock.  Mono may not be your preferred line but it has a lot of stretch/forgiveness to it and the Steel can put a shock on your line/pole in no time!
    If you aren't worried about using the pole anywhere but along the shoreline where you have lots of casting room then go with as long of a pole as you are comfortable handling. It should give you better distance and help with fighting the fish. 
    Contact the folks at the FishUSA store and they should be able to get you set up for a reasonable price and give you some great advice.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 08:14:19 (permalink)
    I think all but 1 fishin pole I own has Power Pro on it. I have 4 lb. test on that 1 for stockies in the spring.

BH
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9829
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 08:52:25 (permalink)
    Bloody - Do you have any issues with the leaders, when casting far?

I personally like to only have about 12" of line from the rod tip to lure, when I am trying to cast as far as I can.  If using a braid with leader, I always have the leader and a few inches, beyond where the leader is tied on hanging from the rod tip.  This makes a pretty long amount of line from tip to lure.  With a heavy lure, that would have me a bit shy on really loading up a light weight rod, also very awkward to cast any rod that isn't long.  I do this with my ocean set ups, but are much more forgiving as per rod tip abuse.  Ive tried reeling in to that 12" range past the leader knot, but the knot through the eyelets slows things down a lot.

If you don't need a leader when fishing the spoons, then I doubt anything can touch braids on distance and probably the way to go.  If you need a leader, I'm guessing you aren't going to get it as far as 6 or 8lb mono.  Also, that leader is another knot that can fail.  I have a 9' medium rod with 30lb Powerpro that I use for casting lures in the ocean.  I've had more than a few instances where my leader knot failed (definitely user error, but just a note to make sure if you go the braid route, you are confident in your leader knots). 

I've had good success with copolymer line.  Many monofiliment lines are copolymers.  Check out the diameter of a bunch of lines.  You'll likely find some 10lb lines that are the same diameter of some 6lb lines.  The 17lb line that I have (Breakaway - no longer available - at least I cant find it) is the diameter of most 8lb lines.  I really doubt it has the strength of most other 17lb lines, but much stronger than most 8lb.  It would probably be a decent choice for this.  If you can find a 10+lb copolymer the thickness of a standard 6lb, that would even be better.  With a proper drag setting, you can land these fish on 4lb line.  It's nice getting them in a little faster, so you dont kill them from exhaustion, or donate a bunch of cleos to the pond.  Another nice thing about mono, you can use that same set up in the creek if things at the mouth are slow, instead of heading back to the car for your other rod.
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 09:16:47 (permalink)
    That's a good question. Do you use a leader with PowerPro, or just go straight braid?
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 09:33:59 (permalink)
    I always use a leader unless water is real stained. 12-36" of flouro. If my leader is lighter than the mainline I use a uni splice, otherwise an improved alright. (not for steelhead)
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 10:09:10 (permalink)
    FG - What did you mean not for steelhead?  Using a heavier leader, or using a leader in general, or even powerpro in general?  I don't see many guys using braids on the tribs.  Although, not really spying on guys spinning gear or even make it to the tribs more than 2-3 times per year...  My last few times trying to fish the lake, the wind happened to be gusting from the N and noone even attempting the mouths that I was at. 

I have a business trip taking me to State St. in a few weeks another to Jamestown, NY and planning on at least one fishing dedicated trip.  I really want to get out when the lake is fishable.  It is enjoyable launching lures into the seemingly endless water infront of you.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 11:46:55 (permalink)
    P-town. I don't use braid for steelhead fishing. It's probably all in my head, but I tried it on a low clear day on a trib hooking one small brownie and a couple smolts all morning, switched my spool back to all flouro, and fought 4 in the next couple hours. One trip certainly does not prove this, but I lost my spare spool for my steelhead reel and just use flouro now. Braid does seem ideal for the tribs though, as it floats, but I personally stick with seguar invisx for now. Til the wife let's me buy the new reel I've been drooling over for the last few months...
    chromemullet
    New Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 11:58:59 (permalink)
    Do you really think a leader is needed for throwing spoons?...with that huge hook and bright metal....just seems hard to believe the fish could see it following a moving lure that's flashing in the light
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 12:24:49 (permalink)
    Yes...you do.

I choose Little Cleos

chromemullet
    New Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 12:42:40 (permalink)
    What about a good reel that let's the line out really smooth.....it seems to me that every spinning reel I have casts differently and some seem to let line off the bail a lot easier than others.....the farthest casting reel I've ever had came off a 25$ Shakespeare combo and every decent reel I've bought seems subpar...call me crazy...Mitchell overhead was the worst offender....would barely cast 4lb line
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 12:45:33 (permalink)
    Lots of companies now have reels with extra wide spools. Supposed to cast farther and have bigger drag surface area.
    gymi03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 16:43:59 (permalink)
    I use 10 lb. (3lb mono dia.) Spiderwire stealth braid moss green in the fall and spring. In the winter I switch to straight fluoro..as the braid seems to ice up much more. I catch plenty of feesh on both.

This year however I'm switching to the fluoro braid from spiderwire, interested to see how it works.
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 17:51:21 (permalink)
    gymi03

This year however I'm switching to the fluoro braid from spiderwire, interested to see how it works.

WHAT? FLOURO BRAID? I MUST HAVE SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED IT!

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    gymi03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 18:05:17 (permalink)
    slabdaddy

gymi03

WHAT? FLOURO BRAID? I MUST HAVE SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED IT!

YES, The feeshin Gods have given us this http://www.fishusa.com/SpiderWire-Ultracast-FluoroBraid_p.html enjoy!!!!!
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 18:20:28 (permalink)
    Far as I can tell "flouro braid" is just braid that sinks. Same deal as sufix 832. Personally, I'm not sold on it. I don't see a need, although it may get you a few extra inches, maybe a couple feet on crank baits.
    bird dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 524
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 19:23:46 (permalink)
    I agree with Fisher Lady. I see no need for braid when casting spoons in the lake. I use 8 lb. mono and a noodle rod because I like the shock absorbing attributes of both and I don't like the idea of leaving a Cleo in a fish's mouth. I also use a snap (NOT a snap swivel) to attach the spoon. I think it gives the lure more "wiggle room". This is still my favorite way to catch them, they have the whole lake to put on a show.

Slick - I'd enjoy a spoon casting contest some day. I may not be good at much but I'm pretty decent at this.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/19 19:31:40 (permalink)
    My spinning set up for steelhead in the tribs :

10'6" Courtland noodle rod
    Pfleuger large arbor #35 spinning reel
    Mail line is 15lb high viz power pro braid
    Leader is 7-9 feet of 6lb Seaguar invizx flouro tied to mainline with an albright knot to the power pro mainline.

Those of you who have fished with me know this set up works ( for me ) anyways.

Same set up for casting spoons in the lake , and , you dont have to wear your arm/shoulder out casting.  The rod does the hard work for you. Just let it fly with a nice , smooth cast and it will get out there no problem.

Thats my input on this topic , good luck and have fun :D
    post edited by deetz4352 - 2012/09/19 19:34:06

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/20 09:30:50 (permalink)
    Deetz - Do you do anything else to the leader knot to help flow through the eyelets?
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/20 09:36:39 (permalink)
    And with such similarly sized(diameter) lines, which line do you fold over and which do you wrap with?
    flat lander
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/20 12:36:36 (permalink)
    deetz4352

Leader is 7-9 feet of 6lb Seaguar invizx flouro tied to mainline with an albright knot to the power pro mainline.

Same set up for casting spoons in the lake , and , you dont have to wear your arm/shoulder out casting.  The rod does the hard work for you. Just let it fly with a nice , smooth cast and it will get out there no problem.

Deetz, I have been using strait Seagur 6lb for the last 4 or 5 years in the tribs with great results, do you see any added benefits with using the braided line with the flouro leader other than cost?
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/20 22:17:29 (permalink)
    Porktown

Deetz - Do you do anything else to the leader knot to help flow through the eyelets?

Nope , Rarely do I feel it grab or hang up when casting in the cricks , sometimes when Im in the lake flinging it out there with a cleo.  Never had it get caught and make a mess with the line. The Improved Albright knot works well for me.

The Deetz
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/20 22:18:55 (permalink)
    FishinGuy

And with such similarly sized(diameter) lines, which line do you fold over and which do you wrap with?

Fold over the leader line ( 6lb flouro) and wrap with the mainline 15lb braid.

The Deetz
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/20 22:28:33 (permalink)
    flat lander

deetz4352

Deetz, I have been using strait Seagur 6lb for the last 4 or 5 years in the tribs with great results, do you see any added benefits with using the braided line with the flouro leader other than cost?

I used to do that same thing. I have had great results as well. BUT I found out ......

I can use the whole spool of seagaur flouro for leader and it will last me all season long and I can retie a new leader as often as I feel I need to. The braid I have had on since october last year and all I did this year is unspool it and put it back on backwards and now Im good for the next whole year. So I can use one spool of braid for 2 yrs. No need to spool up each year with braid and all I do is buy leader as I need it. I think I have saved some money in line and have not had this fail me yet.

The Deetz
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/21 06:47:02 (permalink)
    bird dog

Slick - I'd enjoy a spoon casting contest some day. I may not be good at much but I'm pretty decent at this.

I choose Little Cleos

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/21 08:25:29 (permalink)
    If you two are going to be in a cast-off, I want in!
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    Re:spinning setup 2012/09/21 16:32:11 (permalink)
    So... we re going to have a One Spoon?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: