Gar Fishing

Author
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
  • Reward points: 0
2012/08/10 15:17:04 (permalink)

Gar Fishing

Thinking of making a run up to PIB tomorrow, if not then within the next few weeks.  Just last weekend fishing a trib to the Ohio River in Ohio I hooked my first gar.  I didn't catch him(only had him hooked for like 2 seconds) but now I really have the itch to actually land one.  So how common are they in Presque Isle?  I'll only be able to shore/wade fish.  Any parts of the bay that are better than others? Sight fishing maybe?  I'll be both spin and fly fishing, but I think rope flies may give me the best chance at actually keeping one hooked.  Thanks in advance, just want to scratch this cool species off the list!

5 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:Gar Fishing 2012/08/10 16:46:39 (permalink)
    There are definitely gar to be had in PIB. I use a small topwater rapala. The one i use is gold/black and jointed. Reel slow keeping the bait about one inch below the water. The hit is light and fast....like a bluegill hit. DINGDINGDING is all you get. Hookset is everything.

When u feel the ding....break his face.

I tried ropeflies....Didn't work out for me. Breakin' his face...that works out.....tRuStMe

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Sharpefly
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 232
    Re:Gar Fishing 2012/08/10 20:17:38 (permalink)
    A week ago we were on the bay fishing for LM and got into the gars on flies. I ended up with landing three the guy with me landed one. For about a hour they were hitting ever cast but only a few hookups. Some freinds were out last week and landed 13 on rope flies.
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Gar Fishing 2012/08/10 21:48:41 (permalink)
    Awesome thanks guys. Sharpefly, were you fishing from shore/wading?  Decided to fish somewhere closer tomorrow instead, but I'll probably make the trip up the weekend of the 25th.  Once steelhead season starts I don't think I'll get myself to chase gar lol.  Started tying a few rope flies so I'll see how they work when I go.  I do have a couple smaller jointed rapalas so I'll give them a try too.
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:Gar Fishing 2012/08/11 11:30:28 (permalink)
    BREAK....HIS...FACE!!!!!!
    They are very difficult to land, and as slick said, hookset is everything.  Whereas other fish you want to wait a sec before you set it, with gar u gotta be quick.  If ur fishing live bait for another species and gar are in the area, move to a diff spot!  They will wipe out a dozen minnows in a flash and leave u very frustrated.  

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Sharpefly
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 232
    Re:Gar Fishing 2012/08/11 12:17:58 (permalink)
    We were fishing from boat off PI. The friends of mine were wade fishing.
    Jump to: