outboard help

Author
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
  • Reward points: 0
2012/05/11 08:45:59 (permalink)

outboard help

Ok. I found a 9.9 that I'm going to look at today. I've never owned an outboard so I need some quick advice. Please chime in. What sort of things should I look for to make sure it is ok? How do you start a motor that's not in the water? Won't it burn it up? I've heard of people putting them in barrels of water, but I don't have a barrel. Would a 5 gallon bucket work? Can you transport a motor laying on its side or does it have to be upright at all times? Any/all advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

12 Replies Related Threads

TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    RE: outboard help 2012/05/11 08:51:27 (permalink)
    It can be started with "ear muffs" connected to a hose to make sure it is running properly. Also make sure the oil filter isn't darkish color it should be relatively clear. If you do run it "out of water" make sure it's only on for a minute at most. Good luck and most guys selling that are reputable will have a system to run it in water.

Got Walleye???
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: outboard help 2012/05/11 09:25:09 (permalink)
    Do not run it out of water without muffs...ever...not even for just a minute.
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: outboard help 2012/05/11 09:38:38 (permalink)
    5 gallon bucket would probably be too small, a big rubbermaid garbage can filled with water works in a pinch.
    (put it under the motor before you fill it)
    (muffs are a lot easier)

-prime fuel bulb...choke...start motor...choke off...
    -see how it idles...give it some fuel & see how it revs...
    -check to be sure water's coming out the pizzer...
    -idle down & kick it in gear...give it a little fuel...idle down again...
    -kick into neutral...idle...
    -kick into reverse...more fuel...
    -back to idle & neutral & shut down

A compression test would be nice, but this will give you a good idea if it'll work.
    post edited by Pork - 2012/05/11 09:39:53

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: outboard help 2012/05/11 10:10:38 (permalink)
    What Pork said.

You can get a set of muffs at Walmart for $10 or so. Don't run it w/o muffs or in a tub of water.

Also, I'd loosen the lower screw on the lower unit and check the oil in there to 1, make sure it has oil and 2, to make sure it isn't milky white. Ask how the engine was stored over the winters (heated or unheated, fogged cylinders or not, gas run out of engine until it dies or at least the fuel treated with marine stabil or seafoam).

I'd pull the plugs and check to see what they look like and look in the cylinders too to see how bad the carbon build-up is. You'll need a flashlight. Take some tools with you (socket set with deep well sockets and regular sockets, phillips and flat head screwdriver) in case the guy doesn't have them or won't help ya. If he won't let you go over the engine, I'd walk away.

What make/year is the motor?

Marineengine.com has some really good forums with helpful people on it for repairs and questions to throw out to.

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    RE: outboard help 2012/05/11 10:38:09 (permalink)
    Thanks alot guys. This really helps! Here's the story behind the motor. My friend's mom bought a boat, this motor, and a trolling motor 15yrs ago and left everything in the boxes. Last year, a guy bought the motor from her. He took the motor but never paid her. So, they went back and took the motor back. Now I want to buy it. I have no idea how much the guy used the motor or if he used it at all. I don't know what brand or year it is. I just know that it is like new and she only want $300 for it. I don't know if the guy let it set all winter with gas in it or not. I haven't seen it yet. I'm going to check it out around noon. Any more info between now and then would be appreciated. I've never owned an outboard before. I don't know how to take the lower end off. Can I transport it while it lays on its side or does it have to be upright?
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: outboard help 2012/05/11 11:56:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: slabdaddy

I don't know how to take the lower end off. Can I transport it while it lays on its side or does it have to be upright?

Just above the skeg is the lower grease fill hole.  Several inches above that should be the upper fill hole.  If you take out the lower fill screw, lower unit grease will slowly leak out...without the upper fill screw loosened or removed, it won't leak out too fast.  As eyes said, let enough out to check the color of the oil...coffee with cream color is bad...gritty is bad...non-existent is bad.  Laying it somewhat on its side is ok, but try to elevate the motor housing higher than the lower unit just a bit.  Don't let it bounce around...secure it in transit.

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: outboard help 2012/05/11 12:03:15 (permalink)
    A little late, but... all of the above is good advice. As for laying on it's side, if it's a two stroke no problem, if it's a four stroke lay it on the side opposite the dipstick or you'll lose oil out the tube... Always look at the paint under the hood, if it's discolored that means it was over heated at some point and I'd stay away from it...
    XtopwaterkingX
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: outboard help 2012/05/11 20:43:42 (permalink)
    So how was the motor?
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    RE: outboard help 2012/05/11 23:26:37 (permalink)
    Couldn't get it started. Passed it up. Thanks for all of the advice guys. You have all been very helpful.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: outboard help 2012/05/11 23:33:04 (permalink)
    Disconnect sparkplug wire, have someone you don't like hold wire and try to start motor.
    If they scream really loud ignition is good.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: outboard help 2012/05/12 08:54:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: slabdaddy

Couldn't get it started. Passed it up. Thanks for all of the advice guys. You have all been very helpful.

What type of motor was it?

If you don't want to give up on it, you could pull the plug as Marty suggested and check for spark. If you are getting good spark, you'll most likely have a fuel issue. Carb will probably need a good cleaning or rebuild. May be worth it to low ball a price of 100 or so and tinker with it and try and get it working. If that fails, you can more than make your money back parting it out. Did the flywheel turn? If so and if you do a compression check and that is good, you'll most likely be able to get it running with some DIY maintenance.

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    RE: outboard help 2012/05/12 10:16:41 (permalink)
    I have a little 13ft aluminum shallow V. It's pretty light. I ended up buying a 3hp Game Fisher. It's like brand new for $200. I know that it won't break any speed records, but it'll do until I find something bigger. I'm still looking for a bigger motor (short shaft) so if anyone has something for a reasonable price, please let me know.
    Jump to: