In case you were wondering GILL NET

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
gman1124
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points: 0
Re: RE: In case you were wondering GILL NET 2012/08/01 22:16:05 (permalink)
do you remember why your fishing license went up years ago? it was to pay them to stop using those gill nets!
this is a big slap in the face to all that  purchase a license and follow the laws.
To think 90 days probation and $250 in fines for each of the 27 counts against one of them and no probation and 100 dollars in fines for each of the 26 counts against the other is a good chunk of change,think again.
Thats just chump change to them.hell our license increase over them years easily paid for that.
In my opinion they should of nailed them to the wall..how long u think this has been going on?
Eventually when you break the law,it will always catch up with you...aint KARMA a ****

XtopwaterkingX
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
Re: RE: In case you were wondering GILL NET 2012/08/02 19:11:20 (permalink)
Like i said....good chunk of change, but not big money. Still suprised they got that much. Seems like even in this day an age with "stiffer" poaching laws anybody can go out and straight murder a bunch of anything an pay a minimal fine compared to offence an go do it again. The game laws in this state have got better but the fish laws seem way laxed.
bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
Re: RE: In case you were wondering GILL NET 2012/08/03 09:49:42 (permalink)
So, are they still going to be allowed to fish commercially? 

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
Re: RE: In case you were wondering GILL NET 2012/08/03 18:25:38 (permalink)
According to the PF&BC, they are still fishing. Very seldom are businesses put OUT of business for violations. They are typically fined, sometimes assesed restitution for damages, forced to come into compliance ( in this case deploy legal nets ), and then allowed to continue operations. Hopefully under greater scrutiny.

"Krowicki argued that, at the time the gill net ban was passed, Gerald Mathers was paid what amounts to $250,000 in today's dollars to stop using the nets."

I don't know if it was in judges authority as far as the criminal case. Or if the statute of limitations has passed. But perhaps a civil suit to recover that payment, could be anthor avenue for the PF&BC to pursue. They obviously acted in bad faith in accepting those monies.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3145
Re: RE: In case you were wondering GILL NET 2012/08/03 20:34:17 (permalink)
While smallie fishing this past May..I saw the "Big Tony" coming through the channel so they are def. still fishing 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: