Adding weight to a planer line?

Author
greenhead55
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 290
  • Reward points: 0
2012/05/02 12:23:12 (permalink)

Adding weight to a planer line?

You guys are probably ready to kill me with all my questions.

When running reef runners off boards how far from the lure do you add weight to get more depth? How much weight? What is the weight to depth ratio ?How do you attach it? What kind of sinkers to use?

Thanks again guys!!!

4 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Adding weight to a planer line? 2012/05/02 12:32:49 (permalink)
    Pretty much all of the answers will vary depending on the need that day. Generally the weights are what I always used to call banana weights, shaped like a banana and they are varying weights usually 2 to 5 oz.

There are dive charts available for the weights if you do a google search. Most guys will let out 50' or so and then attach weight with a rubber band, then let out to desired distance/depth. I'm still learning much of the board, trolling weight and lead core stuff, I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will chime in.

I was blessed to start fishing Erie when all you really needed to know was dipsy and rigger stuff, been a little tougher the last few years, but it's fun learning new methods...
    Lovgren69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: Adding weight to a planer line? 2012/05/02 12:36:03 (permalink)
    Try searching the forums too. You're not the first guy to ask these questions and won't be the last. Alot of this stuff has been discussed at length in older posts.

key words: reef,runner,snap,weights
    eyedreamn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: Adding weight to a planer line? 2012/05/02 14:55:26 (permalink)
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=200062

This link should save some guys a bunch of typing. Your not gonna need any weight for a few months.
    Check out the site above, it has helped me learn a ton of stuff.
    post edited by eyedreamn - 2012/05/02 15:15:00
    Rough House
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: Adding weight to a planer line? 2012/05/02 15:31:17 (permalink)
    It also depends on if your running braid or mono as well. If running braid with 50ft leader compared to just running mono the braid will go deeper. By how much is anybody's guess. I run 20lb fireline on my boards and when guys say there using RR's with 4oz, I usually find that 2-3 oz work better for my setup. RR 800's claim 28ft with 200 out. From what i have found out and what others say that this is wrong. They go deeper than that. More along the lines of 30-34 give or take.

The best thing to do until you figure out everything and write it down or put it into a dive chart is to put different weights on one side and see whats working. I run 4 rods per board and depending on how deep the fish are what you could do is on the outside line, run a RR with no weight. Then the next rod put 1oz, next rod 2oz, and inside rod throw a 3oz on. I put the weight 50ft from the bait. Fish for a little while and see which ones are producing. Then stack that side with the the weight producing. Once you figure this out your on you way. like below-

outside--Just RR
    2 rod----1oz
    3 rod----2oz
    inside---3oz

or if the fish are deeper you could try

outside-2oz
    2 rod---3oz
    3 rod---4oz
    inside--5oz

Its a guessing game until you find whats working and learn how to judge what you need depending on how deep the fish are. You def. want to right you findings down so you have them to look at for future trips. It takes some time to get everything right but its a fun learning experience and thats what its all about.
    Good luck to ya.
    RH
    post edited by Rough House - 2012/05/02 15:40:13

Lake Erie Fishing Charters out of Erie, PA.

https://roughhousecharters.com
    Jump to: