NYS Spring Stocking List

Author
EagleCrg
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 160
  • Reward points: 0
2012/03/16 20:43:28 (permalink)

NYS Spring Stocking List

Note:  I have posted this on other boards too, but wanted to get the word out.

Anticipating the upcoming season I was perusing the DEC website stocking list to pick out a few new ponds that I haven't been to and got quite a shock.  The site posts the 2010 stocking list but I couldn't find the 2011 one unless they are hiding it somewhere.  There is a spring 2012 stocking list and when I looked at it I got a shock.  Almost NO brook trout stocking and the few that were on the list were planned to be put in brooks or streams.  NONE in remote Adirondack ponds.  I was prepared for a reduction in stocking levels but nothing like this.  I had heard or read a rumor somewhere that the state was no longer going to fly their helicopter into remote ponds to stock due to budget and pilot training issues.  I suspected it was a bunch of hooey,  but now am wondering.  Hopefully they aren't going to curtail all remote pond stocking or we better enjoy the fishing while it lasts.  Perhaps they will add to the stocking list later, but it seems to me that spring would be the time to stock the ponds while the water is still cold.  Can anyone shed any light on this?

5 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: NYS Spring Stocking List 2012/03/16 22:35:54 (permalink)
    post edited by hot tuna - 2012/03/16 22:38:42

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: NYS Spring Stocking List 2012/03/16 22:37:53 (permalink)
    Yes there was a huge short fall of avaliable brookies for stocking.. I understood that high useage lakes & ponds would still get brookies.. Did not know or hear of none.. The "projected" stocking lists kinda mean , well, not much.. Esp. when you look at the actual placement..
    Some places that have good brook trout fishing do not get stocked anyway.. I think the best fishing of "remote" or easy ponds is BEFORE they stock them.. Pesky little things.. Some places get to many..
    IMO , I'd love to see a bi-annual stocking .. So this may work out ok ??

P.S.
    The dec website is far behind on the actual 2011 stocking report.. I always contact them for the list (sorry havent done yet) and then a week later it shows up on their site..

Give them a shout...
    post edited by hot tuna - 2012/03/16 22:40:51

EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    RE: NYS Spring Stocking List 2012/03/17 20:56:39 (permalink)
    I was informed that most of the remote ponds are stocked with brookies in the fall, not in the spring, hence they don't appear on the 2012 spring list.  I plan on contacting the DEC on Monday to get a direct report.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: NYS Spring Stocking List 2012/03/17 21:07:44 (permalink)
    most all ponds got a spring stocking.. remote or not by NYSPD between 2nd week in May through 2nd week in June, south to north... Some also get a fall stocking in late Sept.. But few..
    I cant wait .. April on Lost Pond ?? May be..

EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    RE: NYS Spring Stocking List 2012/03/30 21:13:17 (permalink)
    I sent an inquiry to the DEC about the stocking list, and here's the response from Fred Henson, DEC:

The brook trout stocked in remote Adirondack waters are stocked as fall fingerlings for the most part whereas our spring stocking list is geared towards catchable size fish. We have been concerned about clearly communicating the fact that these fish must grow to catchable size in the wild. However, we are working on a separate fingerling stocking list that will show fingerling stockings over the last five years so that this part of our stocking program is not 'invisible' to anglers. I expect this fingerling list will be online shortly so keep checking the website.

I was also provided with this link to the 2011 stocking list:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/30467.html
    Jump to: