Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8505
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/29 12:08:45 (permalink)

turkey sightings

Coming home from funeral yesterday I came across these two standing along the road. No near farms so was surprised. Coyote food for sure.

post edited by Mikastorm - 2012/02/29 12:10:17

37 Replies Related Threads

Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/02/29 12:57:47 (permalink)
    I never seen a white turkey thats pretty cool picture
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/02/29 13:14:48 (permalink)
    They used to let them go around here for 'turkey shoots' under controlled conditions- never did it but a friend did a number of times- We always wondered if they were capable of repro in the wild if they wandered- dont see why not.
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/02/29 18:38:00 (permalink)
    They are domestic turkeys that escaped or were released from somewhere. They either havent been out very long or there are not many predators in the area.
     R.S. Bodenhorn
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/02/29 21:09:43 (permalink)
    Any kinda turkey sighting around here lately would be a blessing- WOW are the numbers down.
     Perhaps somebody out there can give some insight on the ebb and flow of such things- are they on some kinda normal population cycle like Grouse??
        Not even thinking bout predation cause thats on going-- just cyclitic???
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/02/29 22:54:03 (permalink)
    RSB...thats why I said coyote food.

RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/02/29 23:01:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: coldfront

just a question, but would you need a license to shoot one of those?

Nope they are not wildlife. They are domestic animals though so if someone claims they own them the court might require you to pay for them, though I highly doubt that would be the case.

I number of years ago we had a herd of cows free ranging on the game lands. There were like fifty or so of them and they were really destroying the game lands. The owner was blind, his sons claimed they were not their cows and the court ruled we could not hold the blind owner responsible.

One day a group of guys got together and had a cow hunt. They killed about a dozen cows, loaded them up and headed for a butcher shop. If they had not driven their trucks all over the game lands loading up the dead cows we probably wouldn’t have gotten involved but ultimately the State Police did get involved once the two brothers thought they stood to gain financially from the dead cows. We changed them with driving on the game lands and the State Police charged them with theft of the cows.

The court handled it well and make the shooters pay something like a hundred dollars per dead cow but they got to keep the meat. Then since the two brothers had now claimed ownership the court ruled that they obviously did own the cows and ordered them to have them all removed from the game lands within a short period of time or they would be fined for each day there was still a cow on the game lands. The court further ruled that any cattle outside of their property and on the game lands after the set date could be killed and disposed of by the Game Commission.

Thus a large on going problem came to a successful conclusion.

R.S. Bodenhorn

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/02/29 23:12:36 (permalink)
    HEY- a hundred dollar moo  cow hunt might be kinda neat- no season and the lousy hundred is a lot cheaper than a outa state big game tag too-what court can I send my prepaid fee to and wheres the herd ??
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/02/29 23:12:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: retired guy

Any kinda turkey sighting around here lately would be a blessing- WOW are the numbers down.
    Perhaps somebody out there can give some insight on the ebb and flow of such things- are they on some kinda normal population cycle like Grouse??
       Not even thinking bout predation cause thats on going-- just cyclitic???

Turkey populations can be influenced by winter conditions but the thing that influences normal population declines more than anything else will be a couple back to back wet springs.

Turkey poults are very susceptible to hypothermia from just walking through cold wet grass. If the hen cannot brood them all often enough some of them will simply die from the exposure. So, if you have a couple springs with prolonged periods of cold, wet weather you can lose a high percentage of the years turkey production. Since turkeys are not a species that typically lives more than a couple years in the wild if you have a couple bad springs in a short period of years it can be very damaging to the turkey populations and take years for it to recover.

Of course predation and hunting loses also factor into the total picture but generally it is either the winter or spring conditions that really create the biggest influence in the turkey populations unless you have a disease issue.

R.S. Bodenhorn 

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/01 06:30:10 (permalink)
    If the PGC didn't stock coyotes the turkeys would have been ok.They thought they would just eat deer! After a lot looking at those turkey pic,I've think there a couple of eastern albino's,by the look of there body size I'd say they might be state records in weight,nice birds.True butterballs.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/01 09:29:28 (permalink)
    There are several color variations of wild turkeys including albino but the true albino turkey is very rare. Over the years I have seen a couple silver/gray wild birds but have never seen a true albino. Where I worked we once had a guy bring in a all white one he bought from a farmer to enter into a wild turkey contest that paid by weight. He fooled a few guys but not enough to get paid.
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/01 10:54:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

There are several color variations of wild turkeys including albino but the true albino turkey is very rare. Over the years I have seen a couple silver/gray wild birds but have never seen a true albino. Where I worked we once had a guy bring in a all white one he bought from a farmer to enter into a wild turkey contest that paid by weight. He fooled a few guys but not enough to get paid.

The things people do to try and make a buck...

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
    Jimmy D Moore

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/01 13:33:33 (permalink)
    I've seen a few hens through the years that had a lot of white in tails and wings but the are the first to get eaten by something,they stick out bad in the woods.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/01 14:00:47 (permalink)
    RSB-
    Thanks for the reply bout numbers-we have been over this kinda thing before on this forum and its kinda clear that it is often different from region to region depending on the weather cycles we have and when they occur in the  poulting seasons.
        Whats been different from my personal perspective is that I have seen large declines  all the way from my home in central Ct all the way up to my bi monthly vac place in Pulaski NY .
        Thats bout a 280 mile trip each way with lotsa farms and fields along the way and a driver whos head is always on a swivel looking for game.
        Tough winters an wet Springs here and there for the past coupla years and a VERY mild one this year will certainly give them a nice boost going into the egg layin season.  
      Just hopin  for a dry Spring now ----They have a real chance  to start a rebound.
       Have read where numbers are down well over 30%  in  many areas- seems like more here and in my NY place..Its got to the point where I wont shoot them in Ct  or NY because of the decline and hopes for more breeders to carry on into the future. Passed the first day each of the past 2 years cause of the huge declines- and stopped for each season too.
    Cant be blasting them and then hopin for more to show up ( reminds me of 'deer wars stuff)
    post edited by retired guy - 2012/03/01 14:12:04
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/01 20:39:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Big Tuna

If the PGC didn't stock coyotes the turkeys would have been ok.They thought they would just eat deer! After a lot looking at those turkey pic,I've think there a couple of eastern albino's,by the look of there body size I'd say they might be state records in weight,nice birds.True butterballs.

You are not being serious or actually believe someone stocked coyotes do you?

R.S. Bodenhorn
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/01 20:53:23 (permalink)
    Actually, there are research papers on coyotes that that documents the fact coyotes were released in many of the states along the East Coast including Pennsylvania by various folks for various reasons. The researchers say they do not believe they were released in enough numbers to "significantly" (there is that word again) alter what would have happened eventually anyway.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/01 21:00:30 (permalink)
    That cow thing is interesting. My neighbor has some Angus beeves, that might just "accidently" wander into my yard some night

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/01 23:46:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Actually, there are research papers on coyotes that that documents the fact coyotes were released in many of the states along the East Coast including Pennsylvania by various folks for various reasons. The researchers say they do not believe they were released in enough numbers to "significantly" (there is that word again) alter what would have happened eventually anyway.

I do not know what might have happened in other states but if we had caught anyone releasing one in this state they would have been cited for it.

We have documentation of coyotes being in this state at least as far back as the early forties. In fact it can be argued that the old wolf reports from the early settler days were most likely not wolves but eastern coyotes instead. Should that really be the case then eastern coyotes have likely always been in existence in Pennsylvania.

R.S. Bodenhorn     

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/02 00:16:14 (permalink)
    I saw 6 tonight on a bare hillside south of Jefferson on RT43

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/02 00:34:46 (permalink)
    6????

Turkeys, cows, or Coyotes?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/02 01:04:35 (permalink)
    6????

Turkeys, cows, or Coyotes?

Not sure-but there was 6
    turkey

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/02 16:32:59 (permalink)
    ^I am thinking they would all be spikes or have none at all.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/09 01:51:41 (permalink)
    There's turkies all over the place by my house. As usual, right up until the season starts.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/09 15:47:09 (permalink)
    I heard my first gobblers this morning answering my owl hooter.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/10 08:44:26 (permalink)
    There goes the flock that hangs around my house...Amish just moved in next door to me...

bigbuck101
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/10 10:38:27 (permalink)
    Sunrise this morning.

They had better not move in next to me.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/10 11:24:26 (permalink)
    You still have snow?  Come on Spring..:)

Those amish are buying up farms and homes all around me.
    There was a boy shot in the head two years ago..said they were coon hunting...not! Shooting turkeys out of the roost they were.
    Biggest outlaws out there.
    post edited by Mikastorm - 2012/03/12 11:11:17

ray126
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 238
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/11 15:40:33 (permalink)
    John,I don't understand.Was the boy up in the tree?I shoot back.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/11 20:12:42 (permalink)
    Not the Amish,good people,good workers,good at HR there helping the PGC keeping the herd in check,good at keeping any fish they catch.Good people.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: turkey sightings 2012/03/12 11:09:58 (permalink)
    Ray...no..they said the gun was leaning on a tree and fell over. Went off and caught the boy in the head.
    But later came out they were shooting with spot light at turkeys on roost.

January 26, 2010
    Amish boy dies after shooting accident in Delaware Township
    Anonymous The Sharon Herald Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:42 PM EST

A 9-year-old Amish boy who was shot in the head accidentally while raccoon hunting outside Fredonia died Tuesday in Children�s Hospital, Pittsburgh.Rudy Shetler was shot at about 10 p.m. Monday along Bower Road in Delaware Township while hunting with family members, state police said. Police said a rifle accidentally discharged.The Allegheny County Medical Examiner�s office said Rudy was pronounced dead at the hospital shortly before 4 p.m. Tuesday. An autopsy is scheduled today.Fredonia Volunteer Fire Department Fire Chief George Benninghoff said the boy was brought back to his house on a cart from where he had been shot, and firefighters treated him until ambulance personnel arrived.Raccoon hunting typically is done at night, Benninghoff said.He he was flown to Children�s Hospital from UPMC Horizon, Greenville.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: