Climber Opinions

Author
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/20 22:13:53 (permalink)

Climber Opinions

Hey everyone. Last year I lucked into a few good buys and picked up my first compound and crossbow, and plan on getting out for the first time archery hunting this year. I like the idea of being able to move around to different spots, so I decided I will be buying a climber soon. I've been looking at the Summit Viper which seems to be a pretty decent price, looks to have everything I want, and as a bonus is made in the good old USA. Just wonderd if you guys had any opinions on this stand. Thanks

24 Replies Related Threads

frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/20 23:05:08 (permalink)
    I have a loggy bayou and have used it for many years now and love it. Lightweight and easy to use. Comfy also, fell asleep a few times up in it (just tighten the harness up enough so you can't fall out and out the head down). Guess you can't get anything when sleeping but it was just so peaceful haha

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/21 12:21:56 (permalink)
    I have a Summit Viper and it is a very stable, comfortable stand.  The only drawback is that it is a little bulky and packs akwardly, which can be a pain if you plan on trudging through any thick stuff.   
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/21 13:11:17 (permalink)
    Summits are great, comfortable stands but as mentioned, can be bulky packing in and out.  I have the open shot model which is somewhat lighter and easier to carry but tough to climb with.

The older I get, the more I am gravitating towards good old fixed position stands and rapid rails stackable steps. I buy the stands at the end of the year on clearance as D*cks Sporting goods for $30. I don't worry too much about someone stealing them at that price point.

I usually take the sticks in and out with me and leave the stands for the season.  Tough to beat the new stackable steps from Gorilla, Muddy and Lone Wolf.  Very light and go up quickly on trees that are not straight.  I am using the Gorilla sticks currently.
    post edited by dpms - 2012/02/21 13:13:50

My rifle is a black rifle
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/21 15:01:03 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. By open shot model I'm guessing that means it doesn't have the bar across the front? While I have read a few reviews that the rail can get in the way of a close shot sometimes, I believe I would feel a little more comfortable with the rail in front of me as I have taken the ride out of a tree when I was younger with bad results.

dpms, you are right about the price on some of those fixed stands. One of the local stores has a sale just about every year where you can pick up what they call a 2 person for about $50. I'm definitly sold on the climber for mobility reasons, but I've kicked around the idea of purchasing one of these fixed stands to put out behind my parents house so as not to have to lug the stand in every time, and after reading these comments about the climber beind kind of a pain to pack in through thick brush (it's REAL thick back there) I may purchase the cheap fixed stand as well.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/21 16:11:18 (permalink)
    I have an older summit bushmaster and love it. It is going on 10 yrs old, I think and could use some new cables and a paint job but still gets the job done and packs reasonably well. Really comfy too and I like having the open front. First time you draw back and release an arrow on a deer and hit the bar with your cam/wheel and knock your string/cable off, you'll be kicking yourself. I did that once on my bushmaster but that was trying to shoot at a squirrel that was behind me and I should have been paying better attention. Only issue I have with it on occasion is hiking on steep terrain or taking too large of steps and the looped cables hitting my calves.

PS, don't forget to wear that safety harness!
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/21 16:32:01 (permalink)
    Wear some kind of safety belt or harness and ditch the bar. They are nothing but trouble for a verticle bow shooter. It doesn't matter if your in a climber or ladder stand. If your using a rifle or perhaps crossbow they are fine.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/21 18:44:26 (permalink)
    Well i guess I'll have to look into getting the stand without the bar if it seems to be in the way. Planned on getting a harness as well, but i guess with the bar and harness I may be being a little too cautious. Like I said before, I've taken the ride out of a tree before, broke both of my arms, and its got me a little spooked. Nothing more humbling than not being able to wipe your own a** . Is the bar on the stand detachable, or do they sell a model without it? Also, any recommendations on safety harnesses?
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/21 18:54:17 (permalink)
    Being someone who never wore any safety equipt until near age fifty and then just a pair of old car seat belts bolted together I am no expert but I bought a vest with the straps built in a few years ago and other than being a bit heavy they are real easy to get in and out of . About $120 as I recall. Most sporting stores now have them. I tried the ones that come with some stands but spent too long getting them on correctly. Just my 2c

Crappy--It's called the Hunter Safety System, a bit pricey but worth it IMO
    post edited by S-10 - 2012/02/21 19:11:50
    frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/22 12:52:52 (permalink)
    I don't know about the climbers having the removable bar, but my ladder stands and hang on stands have the bar that flips over so you can put it away when bow hunting or put it out when with the gun

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/22 12:55:02 (permalink)
    I wear the Seat of the Pants harness and like it. I think Summits may even come with those now. All treestands sold include a 5 pt. harness although most freebies are pretty cheap models. One of these days I'll spring for the HSS system; maybe when I get old like S-10 and have trouble figuring it out in the pre dawn darkness!

There are some stands out there that have a removable shooting rail or one that rotates down to become a footrest but I like to minimize myself and the less stuff on it, the easier/lighter it is to carry in and out and the easier/quieter it is to set up.

Most definitely get an aluminium model. Don't go cheap and get a steel one if you plan on using it regularly to pack in and out.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/22 13:10:27 (permalink)
    I've never use a modern day climber ( old days BAKER) I bought 7 ladder stands through the years,chain and lock.I've only had one ripped off and that was in Ohio and my fault for leaving it after the season,second option ground blind,this was the second year for that,I like it I took 2 doe a big 8pt from it in 2 seasons.The ladders are super sneaky,I've placed them 50 yards away from bedding areas and killed deer within minutes after being in them.My son uses a Sumit but also ladders.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/22 13:49:49 (permalink)
    I started with pole climbers and tree limbs in the fifties, home made climbers in the 60's, went to Bakers and did the quick decend out of a couple of them, went to Loggy and had to shinney down a couple trees and get a ladder to retrieve the stand, went to hang ons with screw-in steps, then with the strap on steps. Now in my old age as Eyes calls it I use mostly hang ons with climbing sticks and have just started to use a couple ladder stands.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/22 15:37:10 (permalink)
    I'm with 10-
        As the years pile on its harder and harder to use some of the stuff we all used in our more fit 30s, 40s and 50s.
         The only Issue  with ladder stands is the first time up strapin the seat to the tree and the last time when ya gotta undo it. Can get very shakey- I always tie the ladder  off to a coupla other trees real high  - but ---shakey.
         They get stolen quicker too cause crooks and other slobs can see them better. Amazing how many of those guys carry tools for chain and lock cutting.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/22 20:17:00 (permalink)
    Since I primarily hunt SGLs, screw in steps are/were always out of the question..

are the strap ons that safe and easy to put on and climb ???

thought about trying them once but decided they may not be that easy to install or safe for climbing 15-20 up a tree ???

thoughts ??
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/22 20:46:46 (permalink)
    are the strap ons that safe and easy to put on and climb ???

thought about trying them once but decided they may not be that easy to install or safe for climbing 15-20 up a tree ???

thoughts ??

You are 100% correct I only used them when I didn't have permission to use anything else and had found a real hot spot. Easy to put up but I was nervous the whole time getting in and out.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/22 21:08:52 (permalink)
    think I'll stay with what I got as long as I can still use the stand-up==sit-down climber I have and the ladder stands...

thanks
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/22 22:05:37 (permalink)
    I have used the strap on steps with no issues.

However, I prefer to use climbing sticks for my lock on sets.  They are obviously a little heavier to bring in, but very easy to install and if installed properly they are as stable as it gets.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/22 22:13:28 (permalink)
    I use lockons with both screw ins, and several climbing sticks. But mostly I go with my summit climber. The summit is so comfortable, I use it whenever possible. I almost dread sitting in those lockons anymore. Sometimes the site dictates it though.
    post edited by wayne c - 2012/02/22 22:14:29
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/23 03:56:01 (permalink)
    I'll have to check and see if the models I was looking at come with the harness. The freebie would be fine with me. Archery hunting definitly isn't the cheapest sport to get into. Hey wayne, what model summit do you have? I checked out the open shot, but still think I like the viper.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2134
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/24 07:54:41 (permalink)
    The day I lost the bottom of the stand when climbing down, is the day I stopped using a climber. I had to hang from the top and I could barely get my feet back in the bottom. I was 20+ feet in the air.
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/24 14:38:16 (permalink)
    I have a summit climber that I bought last year.  It has the sit and climb rail.  Light weight and easy to climb espically since the newer summits have the rapid climb sturrips.  Makes climbing so easy.  Depending on what you are wanting to spend on a climber, 2 years ago I looked into a climber called the x-stand.  It is unreal how light it was.  I believe 12 pounds.  It did not have the sit and climb rail and was a little tricky for me to climb with.  I returned it for the summit.  But the same company came out with the same stand but with a rail you can sit on while you climb. If i remember correctly the price is around 330 bucks for the stand but honestly its the lightest stand I have ever had the opportunity to use.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/24 20:42:45 (permalink)
    I like my climber stand in combo with safety harness,gives you an edge when you need to lean way out for a clear shot. and with landowners permission I occasionally will take my bashlin pole gafs and lineman's belt. with the pole gafs you can scale trees that climbers cant go without extensive limb removal and get high up if needed.
    wildside1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/25 08:17:14 (permalink)
    I have the summit cobra its open no rail its a few years old but in great shape i tryd the sit and stand kind this fall with the rail and like the rail better,the cobra has gotta go.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Climber Opinions 2012/02/26 16:33:46 (permalink)
    Hey Bloody- tie the top of the  back side of the bottom  of the climber to the top section  with a line kinda loose like. If the bottom falls again it will lock itself right back on when the line tightens. Been there too- dangerous. 
    Jump to: