This post may get crazy !!!!

Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/13 17:51:48 (permalink)

This post may get crazy !!!!

Is Hunting a Dyng Sport, I'm Not Buying It ...

Editorial by Christian Berg
February 7, 2012
Petersen's Bow Hunting Magazine

Recent license sales gains in states such as Pennsylvania indicate that hunting's demise may not be as imminent as some predicted.

Lots of people like to talk about how hunting is a dying sport. But after looking at the most recent hunting license sales report here in my home state of Pennsylvania, I ain't buying it!

If you look at the report (Pennsylvania Hunting License Sales), you'll see that as of the end of December, the Pennsylvania Game Commission had sold 923,795 hunting licenses. That's 2,840 more licenses than they sold during the same period in 2010, an increase of about 0.3 percent. Now, I'll grant you that isn't much of an increase, but it's DEFINITELY not a precipitous decline. And when you look at the bowhunting numbers, things are even more rosy. According to the report, archery license sales for the period were up 2.9 percent to 297,462; no doubt due in part to the growing number of crossbow hunters taking to the field.

I realize that sales figures from one state don't constitute a national trend. However, there is no denying that Pennsylvania is a bellwether state when it comes to hunting. Along with a handful of other states such as Texas, Michigan and Wisconsin, Pennsylvania plays a foundational role in America's sporting community. And with nearly 1 million licensed hunters, and nearly 300,000 bowhunters, I can tell you this sport isn't dying anytime soon.

I also find the numbers compelling when you consider the widespread dissatisfaction that exists over the Pennsylvania Game Commission's deer-management strategy. There is no doubt that policies adopted by the agency have resulted in lower deer numbers across many areas of this state over the past decade. As a result, many hunters report seeing fewer deer, and many have predicted this unrest would lead to a precipitous decline in hunter numbers. But despite plenty of rancor, it looks like plenty of hunters are sticking it out.

Anecdotally, I don't see a lot of gloom and doom out there either. I am friends with the owners of the two largest archery pro shops in my area and both report strong sales in 2011, both in terms of compound bows and crossbows, which continue to explode in popularity. I'm sure the difficult economy has forced many sportsmen to delay big-ticket purchases, but apparently there are still enough passionate hunters out there to keep the cash registers ringing.

I realize the long-term trend in hunter numbers shows a slow, steady decline. I realize the hunting population as a whole is aging and we aren't necessarily bringing enough new hunters into the sport to replace all the old-timers who are dropping out. I realize the number of hunters as a percentage of the total population isn't as great as it once was. I realize we face challenges in the form of a society that is increasingly disconnected from nature. But all that being said, I'm still not ready to put the nails in hunting's coffin.

In fact, I feel pretty confident I'll be bowhunting with my grandchildren someday. What say you?

UNQUOTE

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2012/02/13 17:59:26

25 Replies Related Threads

rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/13 17:55:34 (permalink)
    With words like widespread dissatisfaction with PGC deer management,There aren't as many new hunters being brought in . The steady decline in hunters. Sounds exciting to me too !
    post edited by rmcmillen09 - 2012/02/13 18:34:06
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/13 18:24:19 (permalink)
    Don't know who the editor is but did I see"widespread dissatisfaction" with the deer management plan mentioned? I thought the majority of Pa hunters approve of the plan???....WF
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/13 18:39:05 (permalink)
    What majority are we referring to ? I can honestly say this," the majority of hunters that I know and talk to are fed up with this AR,HR" This is not just my opinion it's the truth .
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/13 18:49:50 (permalink)

As  young guy I bought ONE license for small game - now I buy that same basic license and several more for Deer and Turkey-- How do they count them ???- Still ONE GUY but if somebody wanted to count gross lisences it could look like many.
      One would have to ask both here in CT and in PA how many basic small game tags got sold as they are the one all must have to get the other stuff.
      I really hope thats what they did and your numbers are up - somethin tells me though that we aint that lucky--- in any state around here.
        Really hope somebody can show me I'm wrong too.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2134
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/13 19:13:20 (permalink)
    I know MEAT hunters that are not happy with the deer rules. Go Figure!
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/13 19:21:08 (permalink)
    But despite plenty of rancor, it looks like plenty of hunters are sticking it out.

So the author is implying that those who are 'sticking it out' have a choice?  Like just because I'm dissatisfied with the deer management I'm going to hunt the other state that I live in?  I don't like the PGC so I guess I'll quit hunting and punish myself for their bad policies.  Or maybe I'll keep hunting and just stop buying a license.  That'll fix 'em.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/13 19:33:44 (permalink)
    That's all part of their game. Well dont fill the tag, and we can up the allocation and sell more tags. Than blame the hunters for their not being any deer left. It's painstaking obvious in all management units that the MAJORITY of hunters are NOT satisfied with the current system. And I dont want to hear no BS, that if you want to help out the deer herd, dont fill your doe tag.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/13 19:49:17 (permalink)
    That's right BH I'm a meat hunter that abides by the current game laws and am very careful making sure I don't shoot illegal game go figure
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/13 20:10:31 (permalink)
    Don't forget that starting with the 2009-2010 season all the young mentored hunters had to start buying a license, it didn't cost much (a dollar i think) but it allows the PGC to claim about 30,000 additional hunters. What will tell is when the buck harvest comes out. In the past they claimed a decreasing number of deer hunters which kept the Percent success rate up.It will be interesting to see the number of deer hunters they use to figure the percent success rate this year.

Interesting that in 2009-10 they claimed a bit over 700,000 deer hunters to calculate the % success ratio on bucks but claimed 888,187 deer hunters for the same year when presenting the PA leglislature with the dollar impact Sunday hunting would have on the state.
    post edited by S-10 - 2012/02/14 09:13:22
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/13 20:59:01 (permalink)

if you want to help out the deer herd, dont fill your doe tag.

BH.. how would not shooting does help the deer herd ??

please explain ????
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/14 07:08:31 (permalink)
    Doc, if you are in an area where the deer population is artificially low,then not shooting a doe would help. The areas of over abundance of deer are presently few in the state....WF
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/14 10:46:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: retired guy

As  young guy I bought ONE license for small game - now I buy that same basic license and several more for Deer and Turkey-- How do they count them ???- Still ONE GUY but if somebody wanted to count gross lisences it could look like many.
    One would have to ask both here in CT and in PA how many basic small game tags got sold as they are the one all must have to get the other stuff.
    I really hope thats what they did and your numbers are up - somethin tells me though that we aint that lucky--- in any state around here.
      Really hope somebody can show me I'm wrong too.

The number of licenses used in this instance would be based on the number of CID numbers used. Since each person has their own CID number the number of hunting licenses sold would be the number of individual hunters that bought any hunting license.

The number of separate licenses and privileges/stamps (such as archery, muzzleloader, & second turkey) bought by hunters is counted separately, not only in Pennsylvania but all other states, for the accounting of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service when they are determining the amount of money to be returned to each sate as their portion of the year’s Pittman/Robertson fund from the excise tax on various sporting arms and equipment.

That is one of the advantages to having special stamps for hunting of the various species.   

R.S. Bodenhorn
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/14 12:25:33 (permalink)
    Thats good news- thanks- hope your hunter numbers continue to grow.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/14 15:34:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rmcmillen09

That's right BH I'm a meat hunter that abides by the current game laws and am very careful making sure I don't shoot illegal game go figure

Am I missing something here? Are you insinuating something?
    Admin
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/14 16:40:36 (permalink)
    Keep it civil folks.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/14 19:54:17 (permalink)
    Whatever would make you think that BH ?
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/15 07:14:45 (permalink)

Were the mentored hunters that S-10 mentioned required to purchase a discounted hunting license issued a CID when they did so?

If so, then the 2,840 gain in licenses sold as mentioned in the article would include those mentored youths.  By extension, the number of adult hunters would have dropped by the number of mentored youth licenses sold minus 2,840, or about 27,000, if the 30,000 youth licenses sales number is correct.

In any case, it is good news to see the aggregate number go up -- whether that is by adding youths with a CID or not, only one being a greater increase than the other, but distrubing if the mentored youths had a CID because of the loss of those that routinely purchased a hunting license.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/15 08:24:49 (permalink)
    The Pennsylvania Game Commission sold 28,536 $1 mentored youth hunting permits in 2009-10, the first year in which the special permits for youth under age 12 were available.

Those permits hiked overall sales of general hunting licenses – the basic license that every hunter must buy – last year by 21,437 over the previous year, a 2.31 percent increase.

The 2009-10 total, as of the end of May, was 948,329 general hunting licenses sold. For 2008-09, the total at the same point in the license year was 926,892.

While I like the mentored program and have taken advantage of it with several of my own grandchildren it does give an artificial boost to the total hunter numbers when being compared to to prior years by creating a whole new group of license buyers we never had before.

I have no problem with what they did but you have to subtract the mentored licenses from the total licenses sold to get a true picture of what is happening in the state as evidenced in the article above. The 2.31 increase in general license sales for the year was actually a decrease when compared to the prior year.
    post edited by S-10 - 2012/02/15 08:40:16
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/15 09:25:25 (permalink)
    A hunter is a hunter, if they are able to take game. The challenge will be retaining them into later years so they will purchase a regular license with a CID. 4 to 5 years from now will probably tell the tale. As long as overall license sales (CID's and mentors) continues to increase slightly, I'll be happy.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/15 09:31:01 (permalink)
    ^So while there was an aggragate increase in the number of licenses sold, by including the mentored youth, the number of licenses sold without that addition would have declined by about 7,100?

If that is so, again, great to see the increase of the overall sales, but disturbing that without this new class of licenses that didn't exist before, the apples to apples comparison would be a net loss.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/15 12:13:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rmcmillen09

Whatever would make you think that BH ?

Well lets see...... I'm talking " Meat Hunting " than you call me out, than start talking ethics?

BH
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/15 19:05:48 (permalink)
    Since this is the third year mentored youth have been required to get a permit if the number of total licenses (CID #s) are still increasing each year then it is obvious that Pennsylvania is currently recruiting more hunters annually than it is losing. At least in my opinion that is a positive for the future of hunting no matter how much you think about it.
     R.S. Bodenhorn
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/15 19:19:49 (permalink)
    Yes I would guess a lot of poacher dads like to bang any buck and let Jr. tag it. I've been talking to a lot of strangers and I just can't believe how many renegades slob hunters are out there.One guy showed me Pics on his cell phone of his archey buck and his gun buck,nice. With the NEW DEER HUNTING RULES,a guy can kill a buck with a bow(tag it or not and get it out)and still be in the woods the first day of gun with( a doe tag)and his used tag in his pocket.I really think the new rules have turn more people into poachers.I'm guessing about 4-5 guys out of 10 do bad things. I might be high on those numbers or just running into a lot of renegades.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/16 15:40:01 (permalink)
    again, great to see the increase of the overall sales, but disturbing that without this new class of licenses that didn't exist before, the apples to apples comparison would be a net loss.

Not only a net loss in hunters but a large net loss in revenue when you consider the mentored hunters bring in a buck each in revenue and the 7100 mostly adult hunters we lost cost the PGC $20 each.

Time will tell, hopefully they won't drop out as fast as the junior and seniors have been.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: This post may get crazy !!!! 2012/02/16 20:05:23 (permalink)
    BH sorry for the misunderstanding truly. I was misled into believing you had taken part in a malicious act against another hunter " ethically unacceptable " You will understand in the PM I sent you. For 3 years I had a very different view of you. Hope you understand.
    post edited by rmcmillen09 - 2012/02/16 21:16:14
    Jump to: