Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/02 16:29:53 (permalink)

Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer ===

HUNTER EXPOSED TO RABIES BY FIELD DRESSING DEER

HARRISBURG – Pennsylvania Game Commission officials today announced that a Lancaster County hunter has undergone post-exposure rabies shots after harvesting and field dressing a deer on Jan. 20, in Valley Township, Chester County, that ultimately tested positive for rabies.

“The hunter contacted us about his concerns that the deer was unfit for human consumption,” said John Veylupek, Game Commission Wildlife Conservation Officer (WCO). “The hunter said that he saw the deer standing in a creek, straining and growling. He thought there was a coyote nearby from the sounds the deer was making.

“After gathering information from the hunter, as well as samples for testing, it was determined that the deer was rabid. Because the hunter had scratches on his hands and had field dressed the deer without wearing gloves, we considered this a human exposure and urged him to contact his doctor about post-exposure rabies shots.”

Dr. Walter Cottrell, Game Commission wildlife veterinarian, reiterated the agency’s long-standing recommendations that hunters and trappers avoid harvesting animals that appear sick and to wear rubber or latex gloves when field dressing any mammal.

“All mammals are susceptible to rabies and can spread the virus in the right circumstances,” Dr. Cottrell said. “To prevent the spread of wildlife diseases, we encourage hunters and trappers to contact the Game Commission about any animals that they encounter that may appear to be sick. Also, when field dressing any mammal, it is critical to wear rubber or latex gloves to prevent exposure to not just rabies, but also to other disease organisms.”

For more information on rabies, visit the Game Commission’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us), put your cursor over “Wildlife” in the menu bar listing, then put your cursor over “Wildlife Diseases” in the drop-down menu listing, click on “Wildlife Disease Reference Library” in the second drop-down menu listing and then select “Rabies” in the alphabetical listing.

41 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/02 17:23:27 (permalink)
    Just a thought here-
      Who the heck sees a deer standing in the water actin odd and growling like a dog and then kills  it and field dresses it THEN decides to inquire bout some  kinda disease ??
         Kinda like tryin to sit down and chat with a Zombie- then goin wellll I didnt knowwww he wassss gonnnnnna bite meeeeee. 
        Might be appropriate to use lotsa other words besides HUNTER in the header for this one  -- lol
    post edited by retired guy - 2012/02/02 17:25:11
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/02 17:53:13 (permalink)
    Probably bitten by a rabid coyote that was stocked by the brains that run the commission, Oh my if we could only vote. 
    post edited by rmcmillen09 - 2012/02/02 17:54:11
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3105
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/02 19:22:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Just a thought here-
      Who the heck sees a deer standing in the water actin odd and growling like a dog and then kills  it and field dresses it THEN decides to inquire bout some  kinda disease ??
        Kinda like tryin to sit down and chat with a Zombie- then goin wellll I didnt knowwww he wassss gonnnnnna bite meeeeee. 
      Might be appropriate to use lotsa other words besides HUNTER in the header for this one  -- lol

+1
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/02 19:22:32 (permalink)
    Sometimes ya gota just stand there and slowly shake yer head .
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/02 22:33:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rmcmillen09

Probably bitten by a rabid coyote that was stocked by the brains that run the commission, Oh my if we could only vote. 

If you didn’t post that in jest I would have to argue that many hunters aren’t well enough educated on even the most elementary of wildlife topics to provide an intelligent vote, therefore allowing them to voting on wildlife issues would be a horrific idea.

R.S. Bodenhorn   
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 07:15:47 (permalink)
    RSB,
    Has there been an increase in reports of rabies this year?

I know of someone who had to shoot fox a couple weeks ago due to it most likely having rabies. This was in a very suburban area that backed up to a good chunk of woods. The fox was hanging out on the edge of the woods and into the yard during the middle of the day. The person didn't want to let their dog out with it there. They tried to scare it away and the fox started to approach them, even after yelling at it and throwing a stick and a large rock. They went back inside and the .357 took care of the rest. 1st shot was a miss, and the fox still approached the person and it was growling. Second shot was successful. At first, they buried the carcass but I told them to dig it up and burn it.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 07:36:55 (permalink)
    I see some of our anti-hunting folks replied and are blaming the hunter rather than take it as a sort of warning about field dressing wild deer... which is why I posted it... that's too bad..

hunters all ready have quite a few anti-hunting folks putting them down every chance they get..

oh well...

most guys I know do not wear gloves when field dressing either...... plus I know probably 20 guys that do not get to picky or suspious when it comes to shooting deer at the end of a long season and they still have un-filled tags..

plus as we see here from time to time many hunters really don't know that much about deer or deer biology...

I've seen deer standing in water and even have posted pictures or it, as for straining, hard to know what the hunter saw to say it was "straining" , maybe he thought it was wounded.. don't know what he thought... the press release does not give alot of details on what the hunter said... same for growling... it makes no comparison to the sounds of a dog.. just says growling...

I can't say that I have heard EVERY single sound a deer can make at any given time...

It's so easy for some to put down the hunter when it comes to their anti-hunting agendas ....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2012/02/03 07:37:33
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 07:40:46 (permalink)
    Critters,mostly fox and racoon) get several kinds of diseases that mimic rabies symptons. Distemper is one and a couple I don't know to spell. There is no way to tell which one they have without testing the animal. In the 40 years I have lived in the country I have shot 2 fox and one racoon in my yard that showed the symptons. I buried them but buried them deep and covered with brush or rocks. I believe bats are actually responsible for more rabies in humans than other wildlife are.
    post edited by S-10 - 2012/02/03 07:51:39
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 08:14:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RSB

If you didn’t post that in jest I would have to argue that many hunters aren’t well enough educated on even the most elementary of wildlife topics to provide an intelligent vote, therefore allowing them to voting on wildlife issues would be a horrific idea.

R.S. Bodenhorn   

Yet we let them vote for council members, mayors, state reps & senators, congresspeople, senators, and even president of the U.S.  That is probably a horrific idea too since many voters aren't well educated enough on even the most elementary of topics to provide an intelligent vote.  Yet, it still happens.

Get over yourself and your agency.  They and you are not the be all and end all when it comes to wildlife topics.

You not knowing  if that was posted in jest is a case in point that shows that you shouldn't be able to vote for anything that ascends the level of dog catcher.

That being written, I wouldn't advocate a vote on wildlife issues.

Sorry, just a thug, goon, not a good guy rant -- I must be off to be wormed like a dog with some smart pills.
    post edited by DarDys - 2012/02/03 08:20:57

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 09:02:50 (permalink)
    +1...Wf
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 09:58:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

hunters all ready have quite a few anti-hunting folks putting them down every chance they get..

RSB puts down hunters every time he post.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 10:34:35 (permalink)
    Thanks Doc- never been referred to as an anti before--maybee if it had been sittin in a tree screetchin like an owl youd think differently.
        Point bein unnatural behavior ought ta be some kinda little teeny weeny  clue that things are amiss. Really dont think too many of us would sit around tryin to figure out the kind growl either - Deer growlin like a dog  actin nuts probably equals NO for most.
        That thing bout hunters being less picky at the end of the season is-- well we all know exactly what it is----
    post edited by retired guy - 2012/02/03 10:38:27
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 11:52:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

R.S. Bodenhorn   

Yet we let them vote for council members, mayors, state reps & senators, congresspeople, senators, and even president of the U.S.  That is probably a horrific idea too since many voters aren't well educated enough on even the most elementary of topics to provide an intelligent vote.  Yet, it still happens.

Get over yourself and your agency.  They and you are not the be all and end all when it comes to wildlife topics.

You not knowing  if that was posted in jest is a case in point that shows that you shouldn't be able to vote for anything that ascends the level of dog catcher.

Sorry, just a thug, goon, not a good guy rant -- I must be off to be wormed like a dog with some smart pills.

Wow, that post of RSB's must have struck a nerve, eh, Dar?

I don't always agree with everything he has to say but,IMO, he is kinda right.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 12:51:46 (permalink)
    Having the title of wildlife professional doesn't always mean you have the knowledge to make the right decision either. It just means you are getting paid.

I remember a professional bear biologist that didn't know what bear ate. I also once listened to a WCO complain because the professional turkey biologist (new to the job) wouldn't let them use whole corn to bait turkeys for trapping. The reason, they would choke on it. I've already discussed the Professionals that allowed Fishers to be released and then all of a sudden decided they better find out why our small game population was decreasing.

Having said all that, there are items/issues that IMO would be approprate for hunters to vote on and others I would shudder to think of the outcome. The botton line is no governmental agency (PGC included) is going to give up the right to make the final decision on anything.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 12:55:17 (permalink)
    x2
    post edited by S-10 - 2012/02/03 12:59:43
    ridgehunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 12:56:01 (permalink)

Looks like an isolated case of a hunter not using common sense, and also a isolated case where a hunter possibly contracts the rabies virus from a deer.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 12:58:07 (permalink)
    +1
    post edited by S-10 - 2012/02/03 13:00:22
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 16:41:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ironhed

R.S. Bodenhorn  Â 

Wow, that post of RSB's must have struck a nerve, eh, Dar?

I don't always agree with everything he has to say but,IMO, he is kinda right.

Ironhed

You'll notice that I posted that I am not in favor of hunters voting on issues, which is of the same opinion as that of RSB, so on his point I am in agreement as well. 

What struck a nerve is that it is getting just a tad bit tiresome having someone who is being paid by hunters continue to profess how dumb all of us are. 

When I complete my review of the deer study shown on the other thread and post it, it will show that perhaps those that are supposed ot be so darn well versed in wildlife research aren't as smart as they think they are.  A friend of mine has a term for it -- an inflated sense of self worth.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 17:12:07 (permalink)
    I guess when I read something I just do not add all the little things that some do that is not there...

example..
      Point bein unnatural behavior ought ta be some kinda little teeny weeny  clue that things are amiss. Really dont think too many of us would sit around tryin to figure out the kind growl either - Deer growlin like a dog  actin nuts probably equals NO for most.

All I read was ..
    The hunter said that he saw the deer standing in a creek, straining and growling.

When my stomach growls it does not sound like a dog at all .....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2012/02/03 17:13:46
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 20:35:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rollcaster

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

RSB puts down hunters every time he post.

That is only true when they make goofy, biased or outright ignorant comments. And, I have never reserved my criticism of such comments to only those made by hunters. I am not bashful about calling people on their ignorant comments regardless of what their station in life or hobbies might be.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 21:08:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

RSB,
    Has there been an increase in reports of rabies this year?

I know of someone who had to shoot fox a couple weeks ago due to it most likely having rabies. This was in a very suburban area that backed up to a good chunk of woods. The fox was hanging out on the edge of the woods and into the yard during the middle of the day. The person didn't want to let their dog out with it there. They tried to scare it away and the fox started to approach them, even after yelling at it and throwing a stick and a large rock. They went back inside and the .357 took care of the rest. 1st shot was a miss, and the fox still approached the person and it was growling. Second shot was successful. At first, they buried the carcass but I told them to dig it up and burn it.

I’m not sure about the numbers for 2011 yet since I have not seen a release on the totals. But, I have not heard anything about increasing numbers so I suspect it is about as usual.

Here are the facts on some past-confirmed rabies cases in the state by species.

Species___________2006_____________2008______________2010
    Raccoon__________283______________228_______________217
    Skunk____________62_______________71________________56
    Cat_______________58_______________49________________56
    Bat_______________41_______________43_________________29
    Fox_______________32_______________24________________25
    Cow______________6________________3_________________7
    Groundhog_________6________________2_________________5
    Dog_______________4________________3_________________4
    Deer______________4________________1_________________4
    Coyote____________2________________0_________________0
    Bobcat____________1________________1_________________0
    Horse_____________1________________0_________________5
    Goat______________1________________1_________________0
    Fisher_____________1________________0_________________0
    Llama_____________1________________0_________________0
    Ferrett_____________1________________0_________________0

Total_____________504______________426________________410

It actually appears that confirmed rabies cases are on the decline. But, people, especially hunters and trappers, need to take extra precautions when handling dead animals and no live animals should ever be approached. Any wild animal that would let you get close enough to touch it becomes suspect for something being seriously wrong with it.

Also, the fact that the number of confirmed cases might be declining may not mean that the number of rabid wild animals is declining. The only animals that get tested are the ones with a positive contact with either a person or domestic animal. We handle a fair number of animals that are highly suspect where no contact occurred so those animals are just buried or incinerated without being tested.

Rabies is nothing to mess with so everyone needs to take precautions to avoid it and that includes wearing gloves anytime you are handling wildlife even if it is dead.

R.S. Bodenhorn   
    post edited by RSB - 2012/02/03 21:10:11
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 21:26:34 (permalink)
    Several cases of rabies with horses in 2011 in Jefferson County....

some rather close to home
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2012/02/03 21:27:38
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/03 21:31:11 (permalink)
    Sorry Doc- guess your spot on- it wasnt growlin like a dog at all-sorry bout that-  it was just a Deer standing around GROWLING -
    Yknow just like they always seem to do - nothing unusual at all to see here folks ,move along, move along.

GOOD GRIEF -  ARRRRRUGGGGGHHHH

Look - Doc- have dealt with rabid animals at home and afield several times. Was very common hereabouts a number of years ago- In fact all too common.
    Just that when we all go afield it would seem that we oughta have at least a BIT of common sense and a somewhat reasonable manner in which we approach stuff. Some things are just plain out of order and wrong.  Frankly it doesnt take too very much to notice that stuff and deal with it as the inordinent ocurence that it may well be
    By example I wouldnt  think you would even approach -much less harvest and gut- such an animal. I know I wouldnt. Whole different thing if it had been harvested just standing in some area and the "hunter" still hunted up on it--WITHOUT those aforementioned odd observations.
    A good warning and reminder bout Rabies - certainly
    But ya gotta admit an unusual tale.

BTW - One thing learned from experiences hereabouts was that its not necessarily a bite that spreads it but the saliva from the infected animal- Probably why many hooved animals come up with it. Rabid Coon eats corn and leaves saliva then a horse or deer comes along. Dangerous stuff---
        Neighbor had to take the cure when our dogs killed a Rabid Coon at the kids bus stop one AM- He got there first picked up the Coon and buried it. Didnt do our dogs much good either. Gotta say that the other neighbors loved those two dogs though- specially the ones with kids.
    post edited by retired guy - 2012/02/03 22:30:56
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/04 00:37:47 (permalink)

Ironhed

p.s. Sorry about the dogs, RG.
    post edited by Ironhed - 2012/02/04 00:39:02

Blacktop Charters
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/04 06:07:31 (permalink)

Sometimes ya gota just stand there and slowly shake yer head .

Darwin sent that rejected meal back to da kitchen.

Then Joe Hunter shot it out of the restaurant dumpster.

yes - quite the head-shaker 4 sure.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/04 11:08:07 (permalink)
       Thanks for the concerns bout the 2 dogs. Just to clear it up - The neighbors didnt have a Rabies shot record and had to be put down-- My Setter did have the necessary shot records and had to be quarantined for several weeks for observation and showed no Rabies symptoms. She lived on to hunt Timberdoodles many more times- that was back when we actually had Woodcock.
        The rabies epedemec that we endoured back then has diminished greatly and ya rarely hear of it anymore- Personally I attribute that to the lower numbers of Coon and other critters due to the large numbers of Yotes we now have. Back then there were Coon everywhere and trappin them was GREAT - now ya just dont see them like before.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/04 12:23:20 (permalink)

Really dont think too many of us would sit around tryin to figure out the kind growl either - Deer growlin like a dog  actin nuts probably equals NO for most.

x2

just like if a fox or racoon gets feisty and aproaches close in daylight hours.

If you are going to be in the woods - you should know basic animal behavior stuff like this.

I hope the guy's skank deer meat was worth the rabies shots.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/04 12:27:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

I've already discussed the Professionals that allowed Fishers to be released and then all of a sudden decided they better find out why our small game population was decreasing.

DING DING DING - bullseye hit regarding root cause of small game demise in many areas.

The Dingo -errrr (da Fisher ate your baby) - courtesy ---> the all supreme knowledgeable ones at the PGC..
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunter exposed to rabies from a deer === 2012/02/04 12:31:21 (permalink)

What struck a nerve is that it is getting just a tad bit tiresome having someone who is being paid by hunters continue to profess how dumb all of us are. 

understandable,

butt

in RSB's defense, he gets alot of stones tossed at him around here, and keeps tickin like the Energizer Wabbit, and provides the straight poop now & then.

if you want to interact with the Hope Diamond of the PGC, check out huntingpa's John S.
    His pic is in Webster's dictionary and serves as the definition of "Angry Bureaucrat".

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: