Half full

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Half full 2012/03/06 22:27:24 (permalink)

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
metalslayer
Expert Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/06 22:28:25 (permalink)

metalslayer
Expert Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/06 22:50:34 (permalink)

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1899
RE: Half full 2012/03/06 22:53:05 (permalink)
Mad?  
metalslayer
Expert Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/06 22:56:59 (permalink)
Nope--just call em as I sees em---just showin ya the mirror

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: Half full 2012/03/06 23:29:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fichy

I looked it up, and according to the DEC, steelhead  average a 6-8 year lifespan  and can spawn up tp 5 times. Some don't spawn until age 3. Others will run after their first year in the lake. A reasonable assumption would be that it was at least 5 and was on it's third run at a minimum.
I netted a 17 lb. male a few weeks back that was large, but dark and old looking. Wasn't very good looking, but hey it was big!  This  fish is just impressive, even if it's not silver. Good luck with the twin, Jack, I'll be stuck  playing with  the grandkids.

Charlie

I'll be looking for that twin in Cleveland in about 10-12 days :)
Also will be playing with the granddaughter.
fichy
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/07 06:53:51 (permalink)
Your holding it backwards....
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Half full 2012/03/07 07:22:56 (permalink)
Can kinda relate to ya lucky. Just this past weekend my father and I had a discussion similar to what you just described As we looked at his 18 + that he has on the wall. Our conclusion was back in the good old days size wasn't really a matter unless it was 15 +. Back in those days didnt even keep our fish I had only kept my first steelhead I didn't keep another until just a few years ago. I guess what I'm saying is all those years that we landed fish just shook the hook out and let it go, there was never a scale put on them; we more or less convinced ourselves that many of our fish from the good old days may have been larger than we thought they were (just like any other honest fisherman wouldlol)

I know with salmon the same has applied... the biggest I ever put in scale was 34 +.... I was shocked at the scale reading when I hung that fish up... not by THAT fish, but by comparing it to fish I had just let go in the past, this 34is number seemed like a munchkin

Going on 23 seasons, the 18 + that my father has on the wall is the only steelhead that I have ever seen my father kill. Probably safe to say that it will be the last.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: Half full 2012/03/07 07:56:49 (permalink)
My largest scaled and killed steelhead to date in many years on the river was 17 # . Quite honestly without the use of a scale as I find no need , I don't think I have beat that either myself or clients. Maybe just not fishing the right "spots" I guess or luck has not been on my side.
That said my largest brown was 3 years ago at a conservative estimating 17#

I do tend to estimate on the low side when seeing or holding fish

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/07 09:25:45 (permalink)
Ht, by the amount of pics you post id say its safe to assume you fish "the right spots"

For large steelhead, I have had the majority of encounters with them in the lower river during mid/late salmon season and then again in february just as the ice begins braking below the wall pool during a normal winter. With that being said though, I have put more effort in to the lower river than the upper river in my time so my opinion/comment is fairly biased... Id have to agree that a fair amount of luck does come in to play when your talking size. In the end its all fun though
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Half full 2012/03/07 14:17:43 (permalink)
      You guys are probably hitting on a reality check that in all likelyhood really needed to be brought out here.
    Perhaps a certain amount of guys 'memory fish' in the 20s were in actuality in the teens. Seen a lot fish guys say a catch is 8 to 10 lbs- many  would never get that kinda recognition in my bag.
   Lotsa guys SAY they got a 200 lb buck-- till its on the scales at 135.

I KNOW - I KNOW- GUYS ARE GONNA SAY NOT MINNNNNEEEEE- MINE WAS A MONSTER- PERHAPS SO - HOPE IT WAS .
didnt mean ta yell

Ran a trap line a long time ago as a young guy- did it for years- Fur buyer and I used to get a good chuckle each season with  guys comin in with their '20 lb' Coon hides lookin for top dollar.  Aint too many 20 pounders out there folks.....

BTW- the weather up there is nuts- startin to rethink my not so early thoughts. Course will be outa the country for the next coupla weeks- hope to be wrong now-Probably wont be fishin till at least the very end of the month or more likely early April.
twicky fishes- its a conspiracy.
post edited by retired guy - 2012/03/07 14:34:52
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: Half full 2012/03/07 16:36:27 (permalink)
Rt, your quite right.. I always tend to guess on the light or more realistic side as having weighed many fish of many species.. Deer too.. No matter Nice is Nice and a trophy is many things to different folks.. That Ausable Bow (Bingo) I would garnner at 4.5 lbs.. Given it's location and character a Trophy on that river to me..

Now dime has a point.. down low is almost the first shot at any giant fish.. As they move up river they "may" get taken outta the game.. Still don't forget , I fish and have fished quite often down low but yet to get that giant chromer.. My 17 steel came from pineville ( no not the glass hole) .. My 17 brown came from UFZ.. Go figure..
Again just look in those fish tanks in Altmar and I'm pleased to see some PHAT fish..

Early:
3 weeks ago, I think it was, we seen, caught suckers.. We seen trout eggs, I caught a spawned out fish, I caught a female spewing eggs, we caught females just ready to drop..
DING, DING !!
I think I will be done on the river by the 2nd week in April.. Also everything here points to an Early Striper migration.. The usual time for herring in my creek is Tax day April-15th, I think I'll be doing some scouting in 2 weeks with the Yak..

Get out there and enjoy the outdoors !! My Ice season (by choice) ended last Sat..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/07 17:46:06 (permalink)
All of the writing is definitely on the wall for an early season. On the other hand the lower river is still producing fish. I would imagine there are more to come from the lake as well. As long as we can sustain reasonable water temperatures in till late april, we may see a very interesting early drop back season mixed with a lot of fresh fish as well that arr still on their normal schedule. I guess time will tell. I hope to get at least 1 long weekend in the middle of april down in the lower river. Tight lines guys
fichy
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/07 17:51:10 (permalink)
How do you know a fisherman is lying? His mouth is moving....
Good points, Rt.
Be on the river tomorrow morning.....California at the end of the month for me  seems ridiculous now. Ain't no winter to escape from or get over.  Good luck to anyone hitting  the water.

Charlie
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
RE: Half full 2012/03/07 21:08:27 (permalink)

I plan to make a day of it on Friday, maybe I will see you up there
fichy
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/08 04:47:12 (permalink)
PM sent , Clint.
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Half full 2012/03/08 18:20:45 (permalink)
Back to my teens/twentys theory.
    Hear the one that young lady is holding is 21 lbs.. GREAT FISH. To put in perspective someplace said shes bout 5'2'' - just for size comparisons.
     Have not seen as many Steel as some of you guys but have seen  one or two  in over 30 years up there- THAT ONE is a huge one any day- an its "only" 21lbs.
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to: