Author
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
  • Reward points: 0
2012/01/24 20:54:40 (permalink)

Ping RSB

RSB:

I have a couple of "non-controversial" hunting-related questions for you...

1) Why are crows huntable on Friday, Saturday, and Sundays?

2) Does the PGC earmark funds to train the crows how to read a calendar? -because they seem to be more relaxed and approachable on Monday thru Thursdays.

21 Replies Related Threads

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/24 21:16:22 (permalink)
    What do you do with a crow after you shoot it.. is it just a matter of killing something ??????
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/24 21:22:29 (permalink)
    Same thing you do with a mouse in a trap. Pitch it. Some claim to eat them. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/24 21:25:02 (permalink)
    What do you do with a crow after you shoot it.. is it just a matter of killing something ??????

What do you do with the red squirrels you shoot.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/24 21:27:08 (permalink)
    porkupinecrowchipmunkcoyote stew. Gheeeeeeeez.......

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/24 21:30:13 (permalink)
    What do you do with the red squirrels you shoot. ==

eat them

as for the mouse.... I trapped it (killed it) because it was probably in the house feeding on stuff in the cupboards ..

I have never had a crow bother me or give me reason to kill one.. other than make noise while archery hunting
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2012/01/24 21:32:48
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3357
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/24 22:09:11 (permalink)
      Crow seasons are a deal with Mexico, different states use the allowed amount ov days however they see fit.

crappy
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/24 22:38:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: draketrutta

RSB:

2) Does the PGC earmark funds to train the crows how to read a calendar? -because they seem to be more relaxed and approachable on Monday thru Thursdays.

Crows are part of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act between the U.S., Canada and Mexico. As such the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, as part of the treaty, only allows each state a certain number of days that each species can be hunted. The same applies to ducks, geese, dove, woodcock, snipe, etc.

Pennsylvania elects to allow crows to be hunted during a longer period of the year but only three days a week (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) while still providing the maximum number of days allowed within the framework of the days and times allowed by the treaty.

Crows are then provided a calendar of the season along with annual training on how to detect hunters while in the crow hunting mode.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    ridgehunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/24 22:49:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RSB

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

RSB:

Crows are part of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act between the U.S., Canada and Mexico. As such the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, as part of the treaty, only allows each state a certain number of days that each species can be hunted. The same applies to ducks, geese, dove, woodcock, snipe, etc.

Pennsylvania elects to allow crows to be hunted during a longer period of the year but only three days a week (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) while still providing the maximum number of days allowed within the framework of the days and times allowed by the treaty.

Crows are then provided a calendar of the season along with annual training on how to detect hunters while in the crow hunting mode.

R.S. Bodenhorn

What do you do with a groundhog when you kill it?  Smells like pizz when you cook it. 

I'll have to pass when it's served.  Where's Andrew Zimmern when you need him??

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/24 23:27:32 (permalink)
    Thanks RSB - makes sense to me now...

Dr Trout - I use some feathers for fly tying. Their biots make great stonefly legs...
    The rest I use for coyote bait or toss it in the brush for other critters to eat.

It ain't as easy as you think it is to shoot a crow (unless you snipe them from long range via 223).

Shotgunning - Full camo - including gloves & facemask, calls, decoy (owl and/or crow)absolutely no movement until trigger time.
    They can turn on a dime while flying in at 40mph... If the sentry bird busts you - Game Over.

Give it a try, you may like it...
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/25 10:02:38 (permalink)
    Here you go Doc, all you ever wanted to know about crows, and probably a little more.

http://icwdm.org/handbook/birds/AmericanCrows.asp
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/25 14:38:56 (permalink)
    Here is another one Doc, Eat crow and enjoy it too. There is more meat on them than the two ounces you get off a red squirrel.

Crow Pie:

1 crow
    stuffing of your choice
    salt and pepper
    shortening
    flour
    2 Pie crust mixes
    2-3 hard-boiled eggs

Stuff the crow. Loosen joints with a knife but do not cut through.
    Simmer the crow in a stew-pan, with enough water to cover, until nearly tender, then season with salt and pepper. Remove meat from bones and set aside.
    Prepare pie crusts as directed. (Do not bake)
    Make a medium thick gravy with flour, shortening, and juices in which the crow has cooked and let cool.
    Line a pie plate with pie crust and line with slices of hard-boiled egg. Place crow meat on top. Layer gravy over the crow. Place second pie dough crust over top.
    Bake at 450 degrees for 1/2 hour.
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/25 14:41:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

Here is another one Doc, Eat crow and enjoy it too. There is more meat on them than the two ounces you get off a red squirrel.

Crow Pie:

1 crow
    stuffing of your choice
    salt and pepper
    shortening
    flour
    2 Pie crust mixes
    2-3 hard-boiled eggs

Simmer the crow in a stew-pan, with enough water to cover, until nearly tender, then season with salt and pepper. Remove meat from bones and set aside.
    Make a medium thick gravy with flour, shortening, and juices in which the crow has cooked and let cool.
    Line a pie plate with pie crust and line with slices of hard-boiled egg. Place crow meat on top. Layer gravy over the crow. Place second pie dough crust over top.

The next step is to take the pie out of the oven, place it in the trash and order a pizza...

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/25 14:54:59 (permalink)
    I also have a receipe for crow pizza but will have to admit I prefer pepperoni.
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/25 15:53:37 (permalink)
    I figured that someone would give the recipe for planking them.

Quite honestly, I have lost most of my desire to kill pretty much anything that I am not going to eat.  A coyote while deer hunting would be one exception...and a PA mountain lion would be the other. 

It doesn't bother me that others do it.  In my younger years I was the arch nemesis of pretty much every legal critter within a half mile of my house.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/25 19:20:39 (permalink)
    worm waster - I respect your position about that.

Me? it's not the wanton killing that makes crow hunting attractive.

And I don't hunt farm corn plots where guys take pics of 200 dead crows on the ground. In da woods,small clearings it is whole different ballgame.

The biggest draw for me (both coyote & crow hunting) I have the whole woods to myself - have yet to encounter another hunter. Takes my mind off the most dangerous animal in the woods - other hunters that are not safety minded. It is refreshing and relaxing.

post edited by draketrutta - 2012/01/25 19:21:48
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2134
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/25 21:15:09 (permalink)
    Hey Drake, who or what is the "sentry bird". I'm gatherin he's the boss, but how can you tell who he his? I've been on plenty of them hunts where we was busted and it was over.
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/25 21:34:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Crow Pie:

1 crow
    stuffing of your choice
    salt and pepper
    shortening
    flour
    2 Pie crust mixes
    2-3 hard-boiled eggs

If crow is on the table at the next game dinner I go to, you can bet I'll put it on my plate, just so I can say I tried it. But, no way in He** will I cook it up at home. I think I've eaten almost every kind of creature at those things cooked in all sorts of different ways. You wouldn't believe the things that's been set on those tables and people will down it all.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/25 23:44:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BloodyHand

Hey Drake, who or what is the "sentry bird". I'm gatherin he's the boss, but how can you tell who he his? I've been on plenty of them hunts where we was busted and it was over.

First Bird In - a.k.a. point man, scout.

If they don;t like the look of things, he will give a warning call to the rest of the murder = game over.

You can move 1/4 mile or so & try again after awhile - with questionable results.

Hide well, put a Great Horned Owl out, play Owl/Crow Fight, then Crow in Distress and the Sentry will come in very close. Crows -vs- Owl = Mortal Enemy.
    Crows will always gang up on Mr. Owl.

Great Horned Owls feed at night - and they are very good at clutching the life out of roosting crows like the Angel of Death...
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/26 07:18:38 (permalink)
    I do like Old Crow.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2134
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/26 21:39:42 (permalink)
    Wow that's very interesting. Maybe instead of hunting crows, I will raise Great Horned Owls.
    On the serious note. If the sentry bird comes in and doesnt bust you, should you not shoot him and wait for other birds?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Ping RSB 2012/01/27 00:08:04 (permalink)

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Jump to: