never happen in PA

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 15
Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/26 12:28:43 (permalink)
     Antler hunting is NOT average Deer hunting- Its antler hunting- a completely different initiative with the guidelines of an existing sport. Most ANTLER hunters pass many legal Deer before putting finger to trigger.
   Deer hunting is an American tradition and we all participate in it. There are many different methods and practices therein from the guy who only wants a skipper for the tender meat and easy drag to the guy who only wants something over 4 yrs old with particular horn growth.
   Its all  hunting and to each idividual it is a case of personal preference or goals within the scope of the Legal peramiters. Infighting over it is non productive.
    It is the new generation of too many tags and fewer Deer  in some States that seems to have caused some internal strife among us.  We are looking at the wrong issues-we should be encouraging States to exercise some tag and season restraint.
post edited by retired guy - 2012/01/26 12:30:06
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/26 12:43:09 (permalink)
Can't say as I've ever read or heard any "meat hunters" express contempt for trophy hunters.

I've heard plenty of contempt for AR, and after initially supporting it, have developed some myself. Not a fan of it anymore - no biological basis for it, purely window dressing to sell HR in PA.

I've been hunting since 1988. 4 of those years I lived outside of PA, but still hunted deer in PA. I have NEVER passed on a clean, ethical shot at a legal buck in any season. If PA did away with AR, I would shoot the first legal buck I have an opportunity to shoot each year.

I understand somewhat the thrill of trophy hunting, and I don't think it has anything to do with extra testosterone or small genitalia. Some guys like it, and that's OK. They have the time, $ and resources to invest their lives in shooting a deer they want to put on a wall. I like looking at mounts of big bucks but I'd never, ever - even if I shot a state record - spend hundreds of dollars to hang a dead animal's head on my wall.

I choose different priorities in my life, and spend a fraction of the time and money hunting and fishing that I did before I had kids. AR's are ridiculous. No biological benefit in PA. Maybe on 1,000 acre high fence operations. But not on wild, free ranging deer on public land.

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/26 12:47:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

So if you got one chance to golf, you would choose the overgrown cow pasture over St. Andrews  I understand what you are saying and agree that at times it can be true.

I should clarify that my the last part of my prior post was not directed at you.  It was just a generalization, which I should add that I believe it can work both ways. 

St. Andrews is an overgrown cow pasture.  I am just pointing out that one person's paradise is another's wasteland.  Same with deer.  One hunter's trophy is another's pass over.

I didn't take it as directed toward me.  I just pointed out that it was a "more selective" camp person that questioned the manliness of those that were not.  Yes, it can work both ways, but I have yet to see a "kill it if its legal" hunter bust on those that pass on bucks for doing so, but it is quite common the other way around.

BTW, I can smell deer fillets starting to brown in a buorbon, butter, onion, and mushroom sauce as I type this.  I sniffed the antlers last time I was out back, and they didn't smell like they were done or would taste quite as good.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/26 13:29:19 (permalink)
Big antlers no longer thrill me.In the last 20 years, I have shot bucks for no particular reason. Passed on trophy bucks and taken a spindly 6 pointer an hour later.Went to a flintlock 10 years ago and still have no rhyme or reason to take any particular antlered deer and I'm peed off that the choice of bucks was narrowed down for no real reason...WF
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/26 14:25:18 (permalink)
  All neat points of view-Of course the any Deer guys dont crow bout antler hunters - no competition- and of course the antler guys crow bout the any deer guys- they get in the way.
So what????  Just petty stuff- for those of us who want it more or less  OUR way. Kinda silly really cause we are all doin the same thing in slightly different manners.
We are all enjoying the great sport of Deer Hunting and we must facilitate each other even as we go into the Great outdoors and not only compete with Mother Nature but to varying degrees with each other as well.
When it gets down to name callin and insults because of varied methodology its gone too far though and that carp oughta stop while we look at more important issues pertaining to all of us.
  A quality hunting experience is what we are looking for no matter where we hunt and while that definition may well vary from hunter to hunter some kinda middle ground must be forthcoming in so many parts of the hunting world-specially in these  times of other significant pressures on our Sport. Infighting and name calling bout guys who do it 'different' just gets in the way.
  Reminds me of the Flyguy VS Pinner thing in fishin.
post edited by retired guy - 2012/01/26 15:06:03
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/26 18:21:09 (permalink)
Antler restrictions isn’t about what hunters like or don’t like nor should it be. It is about what deer need in order to be in the correct biological balance. The deer themselves are the ones that proved antler restrictions, or some other method of protecting younger bucks for an additional year, was and still are needed.
 R.S. Bodenhorn
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/26 18:37:44 (permalink)
Precisely - and not just in PA- would love to see a skipper being counted as TWO tags-even here in CT. That oughta slow down the rate of kill on underage bucks.
post edited by retired guy - 2012/01/26 18:39:32
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/26 18:38:25 (permalink)
The deer themselves are the ones that proved antler restrictions, or some other method of protecting younger bucks for an additional year, was and still are needed.

Just exactly how have they done that. What biological reason for doing that has the PGC documented as succeding as a result of AR?
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/26 18:56:29 (permalink)
    Just an example of my last- Here in my region of CT I get one 'any deer' tag and two antlerles. I can shoot a Buck and two buttons legally-Geeeee where did all the bucks goooo????
Understand it isnt that much different for you folks- -the only control I can think of is to ask hunters NOT to shoot buttons unless they give something back like another Tag.
   Point is if you want a young one and probably cant see the sex of the Deer you will be taking a chance. Not much diff that havin to count points.
  Really dont care what anyone else shoots to fill their tags but if ya wanna have more Bucks in your Herd some new methodology is needed to keep youngsters around long enough to mature.
post edited by retired guy - 2012/01/26 18:58:53
upland310
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/26 19:07:24 (permalink)
Yes it was a ranch and they do feed with protien, and I didn't consider it deer hunting is was more like shooting,He told me that there is very little public land to hunt in Texas, and it goes on a draw like pymie to get to hunt it not sure its for a day or the season, the ranch manager told me that the state will set up feeders and blinds that you will hunt out of. The ranch bordered a state park and it was the last day of the season when I was there but the game wardens shut down the park while they hunted, it seamed like it was very very controled hunt with the amount of wardens I saw. I was suprised with the size of the deer thinking since they were feed they would have good body wieght, but the biggest one taken was 143lbs, thats not field dressed.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/26 19:11:59 (permalink)
RG, those are social issues you are refering to and have nothing to do with any bioloicial benefits to the deer herd from having a different age structure. The stated goal was to change the breeding window and dates and the PGC's own research shows that didn't happen.

AR was the promise of MORE AND BIGGER BUCKS if we helped them reduce the deer herd. That is strictly a social issue. Also they had ZERO research to indicate that the harvest of BB would change, especially once the herd was reduced and there were many more doe tags issued than doe to hunt.
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/26 20:05:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RSB

Antler restrictions isn’t about what hunters like or don’t like nor should it be. It is about what deer need in order to be in the correct biological balance. The deer themselves are the ones that proved antler restrictions, or some other method of protecting younger bucks for an additional year, was and still are needed.
 R.S. Bodenhorn

What is the biological basis of protecting younger bucks? What biological difference does it make to allow a 1.5 year old 4 pt to become a 2.5 year old 7 or 8 point?

What about 1.5 year old bucks that might have superior genes and can be harvested as a 6 or 8 point? How does allowing them to be harvested improve the health of the deer herd?

Why are hunters allowed to harvest button bucks if AR's are so important to the health of the deer herd?

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/26 22:37:34 (permalink)
10 -agree on the social implications - its clear that if you increase the non horned take of Deer you have therefor had impact on the future buck numbers as well as so many buttons go to the freezer-kinda looks like they may have shot themselves in the foot a bit by not considering that the very basis of their argument for improved horn hunting was being sevearly diminished by those initial "antlerless' increases. Dont understand how anyone even remotely associated with the outdoors could possibly have missed that  basic  fact. Or did they?

Would think the only way to change the 'breeding window' would be with a very high buck to doe ratio providing a condition wherein ready Doe were quickly bred- By shooting out too many buttons that could have bred a year or two before becoming legal  thats impossible - no wonder it failed..May even narrow the gene field in high kill areas.
post edited by retired guy - 2012/01/26 22:45:38
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/27 00:12:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: World Famous

Big antlers no longer thrill me.In the last 20 years, I have shot bucks for no particular reason. Passed on trophy bucks and taken a spindly 6 pointer an hour later.Went to a flintlock 10 years ago and still have no rhyme or reason to take any particular antlered deer and I'm peed off that the choice of bucks was narrowed down for no real reason...WF

In your case...why not take a doe or two?

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
World Famous
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/27 05:44:32 (permalink)
I do ,Ironhed...WF
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/27 12:02:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rsquared

R.S. Bodenhorn

What is the biological basis of protecting younger bucks? What biological difference does it make to allow a 1.5 year old 4 pt to become a 2.5 year old 7 or 8 point?

What about 1.5 year old bucks that might have superior genes and can be harvested as a 6 or 8 point? How does allowing them to be harvested improve the health of the deer herd?

Why are hunters allowed to harvest button bucks if AR's are so important to the health of the deer herd?

All I hear are chirping crickets . . .

Somebody? Anybody? Bueller?

What positive biological impact does AR - on its own merits - have on the PA deer herd?
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/27 12:33:42 (permalink)
What biological difference does it make to allow a 1.5 year old 4 pt to become a 2.5 year old 7 or 8 point?

NONE
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/27 20:31:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: rsquared

R.S. Bodenhorn

The biological need for antler restrictions or some other method of keeping additional for the next year’s breeding season did come form the facts the deer them selves were providing.

Prior to antler restrictions every WCO in the state was required to collect the breeding and reproductive data from every female deer they removed from the highways between February 1 and May 31 every year. We had been doing that since back in the late 1970’s so there was a large database for each county and area of the state. There was also a jawbone collected from each of the does so the breeding and reproductive rates could also have an age structure connected with it.

Here are some facts concerning the breeding rates during the five years prior to antler restrictions as compared to the previous ten years of breeding data.

89% of the counties had a decline in either the adult of juvenile doe breeding rates.

55% of the counties had a decline in the adult doe breeding rates.

68% of the counties had a decline in the juvenile doe breeding rates.

35% of the counties had a decline in both adult and juvenile doe breeding rates.

The declining breeding rates were showing up in all areas of the state even though there were a few counties that had not yet experienced the decline in their breeding rates.

When you put all of the northern tier counties together and compared then there was an 11.3% decline in the breeding rates in the five years prior to antler restrictions.

In the Southern tier counties minus the special regulations counties the breeding rate decline was 9.0%.

Then by comparing the breeding rates for the special regulations counties where hunters could get unlimited doe licenses and permitted to harvest basically as many antlerless deer as they wanted and could find even there the breeding rates had declined by 7.5%. That was pretty much proof that the problem could not be corrected by simply harvesting more does, especially when or where many hunters refuse to even shoot does but have no reservations about shooting bucks.

The bottom line was hunters were harvesting about 80-90% of all of the antlered bucks each fall. Then when the next fall rut came along the only bucks available to do the breeding were those that had been last year’s button bucks and now just 1 ½ year old bucks. Not that there was anything wrong with them breeding, it was just that there were far too many does all cycling at the same time and not enough bucks to get them all, of in many cases, even a high percentage of the bred. It was taking over five months just to get 80-90% of the adult does bred and that is a simply pathetic breeding result.

With that evidence any professional deer manager could see there was a need to establish a better buck to doe ratio to improve the breeding rates and times.

And it has worked to get the better breeding rates and times too.

Here in Elk County where I collected the breeding data over the past few decades the adult doe breeding rate improved from 84.4% in the five years before the affects of antler restrictions to an adult doe breeding rate of 97.1% since antler restrictions.

Though many people want to make it sound like it wasn’t needed and throw out all kinds of red herring detractors the facts are that the deer themselves proved antler restrictions were needed and they are also proving it is working as intended as a benefit to the deer themselves.

As for any genetic high grading argument that is not even a valid argument for anyone that understands how genetics among deer populations are influenced if you consider the fact that nearly all bucks, both great and poor, have always been breeding before the harvests. That includes the lowliest spikes to the biggest and oldest bucks in the population. It has always been that way but before antler restrictions we had far fewer bucks of any age class but the youngest to do the breeding. If it were possible to high grade it would have already happened during the five decades we protected only bucks that didn’t even have a 3-inch spike.    

R.S. Bodenhorn
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/27 20:43:50 (permalink)
It was taking over five months just to get 80-90% of the adult does bred and that is a simply pathetic breeding result.

With that evidence any professional deer manager could see there was a need to establish a better buck to doe ratio to improve the breeding rates and times.

And yet by your own PGC data based on 2500 deer checked (including yours in the mix I presume) the PGC (Your own Biologists) state that there was no change in the breeding dates or time frame as a result of AR as they thought there would be. You should read the information which the PGC puts on their website. Of course perhaps it is them that is giving us bogus information.

The info is in a PDF file ----on the net type in "Bioloy and hunting-Antler Restrictions" then click open on the file.

Kind of hard to shorten the breeding window when we shoot the big doe and save the fawns that breed later in the year. The PGC told us to do that if you remember.
post edited by S-10 - 2012/01/27 20:58:49
psu_fish
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/27 20:55:38 (permalink)
After reading that post from RSB, I gather that 1.5 year old bucks breeding is not the problem, but instead, the problem is we have too many does going into heat at the same. But RSB claims additional doe harvest isnt the solution..but yet the PGC jacks up doe tag allocations.

Sounds like the PGC is trying to "fix" the B:D ratio by killing more does by making it easier to kill a doe while making it harder to kill bucks, even though "simply harvesting more does" does not correct the problem (again )

Lots of double talk in that post
post edited by psu_fish - 2012/01/27 20:56:16
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/27 21:04:33 (permalink)
Sounds like the PGC is trying to "fix" the B:D ratio by killing more does by making it easier to kill a doe while making it harder to kill bucks, even though "simply harvesting more does" does not correct the problem (again )

You have to remember the GOAL was/is DEER HERD REDUCTION. They didn't much care what they said or did to achieve it. He//, now they even blame us for pulling the trigger after they spent years telling us it was the right thing to do.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/27 21:14:36 (permalink)
I understand that...I was never fooled when the PGC rolled it out. Hmm, more doe tags and tougher buck rules, I wonder how that will work out . The problem I have is that the PGC claims there isnt enough bucks to breed, but yet when there is more doe tags allocated, more button bucks will get mowed down as antlerless deer. It's a numbers game, since you know "us hunters" have itchy trigger fingers

I just find it amusing how the PGC finds new ways to "spread the message"

post edited by psu_fish - 2012/01/27 21:15:38
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/27 21:26:20 (permalink)
If it were possible to high grade it would have already happened during the five decades we protected only bucks that didn’t even have a 3-inch spike.

R.S. Bodenhorn

Of course you realize you just admitted that there was no biological reason that we needed a older age class of deer doing the breeding because the 1-1/2 year old bucks could do everything the older bucks could do. AR is strictly a social issue and as long as a majority want it that is probably the thing to do but don't confuse it with a biological necessity because you just admitted it isn't.
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/28 08:30:58 (permalink)
HR didn't have anything to do with the higher breeding rates, right?

Why would the PGC want higher breeding rates when they're trying to reduce the deer population statewide anyway?

post edited by rsquared - 2012/01/28 09:23:28
World Famous
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/28 10:08:47 (permalink)
Hit it on the head. Smoke screen. It always amazes me that they actually think all of us are stupid..WF
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/28 18:25:15 (permalink)
What Should Hunters Expect from An Antler Restriction Program?

Although programs using antler restrictions may have several effects on a deer herd, people should have realistic expectations on what they may see accomplished. Some changes will be obvious and others, if they occur, may be subtle and difficult to note in the field.

Buck Numbers, Size and Age
•More young bucks surviving the hunting season and into the older age classes.
•Higher overall buck numbers at the start of subsequent hunting seasons.
•A large portion of each Fall's buck population would be young bucks that do not meet the minimum harvest criteria and therefore could not be harvested.
•The extent of the age and size that some bucks obtain will depend on habitat quality and the specifics of the antler restriction program.

Breeding Behavior and Success
•No significant change in breeding success or timing should be expected from reducing harvest of yearling bucks in New York. The timing of the rut is largely tied to seasonal changes (day length).
•More bucks, including older bucks, may increase the amount of buck sign such as rubs and scrapes. While this may impact hunter satisfaction, these social factors of deer are not expected to noticeably impact the timing of deer breeding in New York.
•Yearling (1.5 year old) bucks will continue to sire a substantial portion of the offspring despite presence of more older bucks.

Harvest Prospects
•The population management goal for an area would not change, but herd composition and harvest opportunity would change.
•Implementation of antler restrictions results in an initial period of significantly reduced buck harvest and somewhat lower buck harvest potential for the long term.
•Hunters must be more selective and a portion of the bucks they see will have to be passed up.

I guess the bucks were telling them something different on the other side of the state line than they were on this side.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/28 21:14:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

It was taking over five months just to get 80-90% of the adult does bred and that is a simply pathetic breeding result.

And yet by your own PGC data based on 2500 deer checked (including yours in the mix I presume) the PGC (Your own Biologists) state that there was no change in the breeding dates or time frame as a result of AR as they thought there would be. You should read the information which the PGC puts on their website. Of course perhaps it is them that is giving us bogus information.

The info is in a PDF file ----on the net type in "Bioloy and hunting-Antler Restrictions" then click open on the file.

Kind of hard to shorten the breeding window when we shoot the big doe and save the fawns that breed later in the year. The PGC told us to do that if you remember.

I have read it many times and have also talked with the people that wrote what you are reading. So unlike you and many other laypersons I actually understand both what it says and means.

The mean conception date didn’t change and most people didn’t expect it to because that is really nothing more than the mid range of the does that are bred. Since breeding tames are determined by the amount of daylight I don’t know why anyone would expect the mean date to change by more that a day or two from any year to another.

But, just because the mean conception date didn’t change most certainly does not mean that the breeding window didn’t narrow. In fact if all of the does were bred in a two week period or even a one week period with the mean conception date in the middle of that period the mean would be the same as it would be with a six month breeding window with the same middle range. What actually happened with the breeding though is more of the adult does were getting bred in the correct six week window instead of a five month window with the same mean conception date.

Therefore, there has been an improvement in the breeding window, especially for adult does.

R.S. Bodenhorn      

RSB
Expert Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/28 21:44:20 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: psu_fish

After reading that post from RSB, I gather that 1.5 year old bucks breeding is not the problem, but instead, the problem is we have too many does going into heat at the same. But RSB claims additional doe harvest isnt the solution..but yet the PGC jacks up doe tag allocations.

Lots of double talk in that post

You are correct that 1 ½ year old bucks breeding does is not a problem and that just harvesting more does generally isn’t going to be enough to correct a buck to doe ratio if hunters are also permitted to harvest virtually any buck with a piece of antler on his head. That has been proven in several studies of the subject in various areas besides Pennsylvania.

It seems that what you don’t understand about deer management though is the first and most important thing in deer or any other wildlife management is not to try keeping more of anything than the food supply can sustain. That is why we had to reduce the total deer population and that has nothing to due with trying to balance the buck to doe ratios. The fact is you can only keep so many deer through the winter and if you keep too many the deer actually damage their food supply then they reduce their own numbers though both winter mortality and reduced fawn survival rates. Once that starts happening you will have fewer and fewer deer until the population gets low enough the habitat can start to recover enough to allow for some population increase. The reality of that though is that once the habitat/deer relationship reaches that point any population increases will only occur during short periods of ideal environmental conditions and then crash again when those ideal conditions no longer exist for a year of two.

To have the correct deer management you have to first and foremost harvest the number of deer that brings the total deer population down to the where it is matched to the available winter habitat. In some areas and some years deer can use all of the habitat in their home range. But, is some areas and some years the only habitat with any winter value for deer is what is within relatively small pockets of wintering grounds habitat. I have seen years with dozens of winter mortality deer within just a few hundred yards of all the good browse they could have eaten, but that great habitat was of no value to them because they couldn’t get to it because of all the deep snow.

Then after you have the deer population reduced to the correct balance with its habitat (read that as food supply) then if you want to have the best possible deer numbers for the future you want to have the correct buck/doe ratio that maximizes the breeding, reproductive and fawn recruitment rates. If you have the best possible fawn birth and recruitment rates you will also have the maximum number of deer available again for the next fall breeding and hunting seasons.

Maximizing your fawn recruitment simply means hunters can and need to harvest the same number of deer that fall as what had been recruited into the herd that year just to get back to that correct level of over winter population again. That is how deer management works but the problem is hunters demand carrying excess deer through the winter, which simply means they end with lower fawn recruitment than we should be getting and that then also means you have fewer deer to harvest the next fall.

Too many hunters just fail or refuse to accept the FACT that there is a whole lot more that will influence future deer numbers then hunters harvesting too many. In fact, deer numbers are more likely to decline and stay low in the areas where hunters under harvest and carry excess into the winter than where hunters have over harvested the popuolation.

Of course when we get a mild winter, like was are having this year, we can carry more deer through the winter. But, that can also lead to even bigger population crashes at some point in the future if hunters don’t harvest those excess deer that result from mild winters before we have our next normal or perhaps even harsh winter.

R.S. Bodenhorn           
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/28 21:47:47 (permalink)
They better change their charts if that is the case. They not only state the breeding window didn't change they have also posted a chart showing that just the opposite of what you claim has taken place since AR. There are fewer doe being bred in the tight window and more on the ends of the curve. If anything the breeding window has gotten worse. Nice try but I know how to read and understand words and charts and what you are claiming is just the opposite of what the PGC's own biologists are saying and what their posted charts show.-------------Go on the net- type in "Biology and Hunting-Antler Restriction" click on open on the bottom, read the words and chart, note the red in the graph is after AR.

There is no Biological reason for Antler Restrictions. It is strictly a social issue. If the majority want it then it should be done on that basis not on the basis of something you know isn't supported by research and your claim is not supported by research.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/01/28 21:51:39 (permalink)
demand carrying excess deer through the winter, which simply means they end with lower fawn recruitment than we should be getting and that then also means you have fewer deer to harvest the next fall.

That must be why we harvested 203,247 bucks in 2001 and 122,930 last year.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 15
Jump to: