Coyote Help with trapping

Author
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
  • Reward points: 0
2012/01/19 13:52:16 (permalink)

Coyote Help with trapping

My brother has been trapping for coyotes for the past couple of weeks now and this morning he finally got one. The problem was that the coyote took the trap and the rebar and is running around the woods with it. We went looking for a couple hours and he was able to kick it up but after that we haven't seen it since. Should we back off and go back tonight or should we keep looking for it? We haven't seen it for 5 hours now. We haven't been able to find a den of any sorts yet. Would the coyote want to sit tight and hide or do you think it will be up and moving tonight? Thanks for the help, Ed

22 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/19 14:15:27 (permalink)
    It's not like a wounded deer that will lay down and stiffen up. You have nothing to lose by keeping after it. The only way you will get it without snow is finding it where the stake hangs up in some brush which will probably eventually happen if he doesn't pull out of the trap in the meantime. Can you follow where the stake and trap scuffed up the ground?
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/19 14:26:23 (permalink)
    Buddy of mine had the same thing happen a few years ago. With snow, he tracked it for days on and off and never caught up to it. 

Now he uses cable stakes and has never looked back. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/19 14:32:11 (permalink)
    He did follow it for awhile but lost the scuff marks. We are on our way out now to try to get it up again there are 6 of us this time not 2. Will keep posted. Ed
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/21 15:03:27 (permalink)
    hey eman. hopefully the stake will get hung up, if not that coyote is long gone. they will hit the atv trails or the power lines and get as far away as they can as fast as they can. tell your bro get some double stake swivels and then he can cross the stakes and prevent any pull outs. i use the double swivels and 2' stakes from rebar. i use the same on my cable restraints and have not had any pull the stakes out. its a must for coyotes. coyotes travel a very long distance. that yote may have been from a couple miles away and that is probably where he headed back to.
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/21 15:05:49 (permalink)
    Will do akita. He went out looking this morning after we got back from ice fishing he didnt have any luck. He ended up missing a fox with the .22. Ed
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/22 04:15:51 (permalink)
    if that yote does get hung up and can't free itself, you might find it, but as stated b4 - it is probably in the next county.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/22 12:01:34 (permalink)
    I shot one a few years ago missing his left front foot,looked like he chewed it off,he still seemed ok.I shot him coming out of a big pile of tree tops. After finding him,I went back to his home,it was full of deer bones and hair.After looking at the bones they where sawed by a home butcherd deer and dumped in the woods.I'd say he'll make it and become a 3 legged yote.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/22 13:08:35 (permalink)
    I was going to ask Eman if he ever had one chew his foot off.

I don't think fox will, they don;t even get that excited when u approach the trap.

Yotes goes crazy most times, and I know they will chew off limbs to get outta trap.

Racoons are the worst evil critters to release - I know guys that make shields to hide behind.
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/22 14:29:24 (permalink)
    Never had one chew its foot at.. We got 8 raccoons so far this year and a bunch of possums. Ed
    kevinupp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 606
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/22 15:59:01 (permalink)
    Animals don't chew their feet off to get out of traps......

They chew at the trap because it is A) hurting them B) detaining them and they are trying to make it quit.

The unfortunate consequence of that chewing is that they end up chewing the foot below the trap jaws off, thus escaping.

Coons are notorious for chewing. Coyotes not so much.

As for the coyote with the trap on it's foot running away. Make more sets in the area. It will be back. Make a scent post set or a walk-thru. If he has the cable restraint certification set a bunch of them.

More than a million trees a year die to print environmentalist publications.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/22 17:21:11 (permalink)
    In snow put a grapple on that line-he will hang up if it pulls out and ya can track the darned thing.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/23 06:46:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kevinupp

Coons are notorious for chewing. Coyotes not so much.

Then why does the old thyme joke use "Coyote-Ugly" instead of "Racoon Ugly"?
    post edited by draketrutta - 2012/01/23 06:47:00
    kevinupp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 606
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/23 07:06:35 (permalink)
    Cause coyotes are ugly critters.

More than a million trees a year die to print environmentalist publications.
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/23 11:45:42 (permalink)
    they will chew their foot off, but only if the trap breaks their leg. they will not chew through their own bone, but if the bone is broke they will chew through the hide. this is where off set traps come in handy.
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/23 14:56:31 (permalink)
    It would be almost impossible to break a coyote’s leg with a legal sized foothold trap simply with the closing of the trap on the leg. What typically happens when the leg of any animal is broken in a trap is when the trap doesn’t have a swivel or something, such as a stick or other brush, binds the swivel do it no longer works. Once that happens the animal will sometimes break the leg bone while twisting and thrashing in the trap. Once the leg is bone is broken it can and often will lead to tearing the hide and what is know as a wring off.

Occasionally an animal will chew on the part of the foot that is below the trap jaws as it is trying to use its teeth to chew the trap and get free. It isn’t that it is trying to chew it’s foot of to get free but once the foot goes numb, from being below the trap jaws, the animal might not even realize it is also biting its own foot. That rarely happens when a person has a trap that is properly sized for the target species and checks their traps early enough in the day.

When an animal becomes injured in a trap it is generally because the trapper used the wrong size trap, doesn’t have it adequately staked and/or swiveled or hasn’t checked it as frequently as they should be.
     R.S. Bodenhorn
    post edited by RSB - 2012/01/23 19:03:24
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/23 16:18:16 (permalink)
    Never did a lot of yote trapping but in my early days of fox trapping I sure did end up with a lot of #2 traps on my fingers and hands without breaking any bones and only had one fox break a leg. It was as RSB suggested because the swivel got bound up. I had many that were sleeping when I approached. Once the pad or leg goes numb and they realize they can't escape they seem to calm right down until you come along.
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/24 12:52:41 (permalink)
    We still have not had any luck on locating the yote. been seeing lots of deer hit the last couple days so i'm curious if he is going to be around here soon. There are lots of coyotes at school I have been seeing them  with  my car lights. Ed
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/24 16:58:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RSB

It would be almost impossible to break a coyote’s leg with a legal sized foothold trap simply with the closing of the trap on the leg. What typically happens when the leg of any animal is broken in a trap is when the trap doesn’t have a swivel or something, such as a stick or other brush, binds the swivel do it no longer works. Once that happens the animal will sometimes break the leg bone while twisting and thrashing in the trap. Once the leg is bone is broken it can and often will lead to tearing the hide and what is know as a wring off.

Occasionally an animal will chew on the part of the foot that is below the trap jaws as it is trying to use its teeth to chew the trap and get free. It isn’t that it is trying to chew it’s foot of to get free but once the foot goes numb, from being below the trap jaws, the animal might not even realize it is also biting its own foot. That rarely happens when a person has a trap that is properly sized for the target species and checks their traps early enough in the day.

When an animal becomes injured in a trap it is generally because the trapper used the wrong size trap, doesn’t have it adequately staked and/or swiveled or hasn’t checked it as frequently as they should be.
     R.S. Bodenhorn

+1

One situation I can recall from my trapping days is catching muskrats in pocket sets for coon.  A 1.5 can snap there leg and they can ring out.  This would be an incidental catch.  All of my muskrat sets were drowning sets or conibears and rarely did I ever come across a live one.

There were very few coyotes when I quit trapping (That was before the stocking days....)and remember the first trapper who caught one in our Boro.  There was an article about it in the paper.  Every fox I ever caught had very little damge to the foot as I can recall. 

I remember my Brother catching his first fox by both front feet in a #1 CS.  I highly doubt that one had much foot damage. :)w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/24 19:18:08 (permalink)
    curiousity question:

I never trapped but followed along on a few line checks in the past.
    Watched my buddy harvest a fox via a little club and pressure to chest via foot. No firearm required.

For the guys that approach a trap with a coyote in it - I assume a bullet to the brainpan is the customary route for dispatch.

Is that correct?

akitadog
    Expert Angler
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/24 19:26:18 (permalink)
    rite in the ear. not even a flinch.
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/24 19:29:54 (permalink)
    hey eman, i had a yote chew outa a cable this morning just up the hill from you. if younz get 1 with a necklace it was probably from me..
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    RE: Coyote Help with trapping 2012/01/24 21:58:45 (permalink)
    akita, i will defiantly keep a look out for you. the local farmers let me hunt and trap on their properties. I ran into a trapper by Porter's property who got a few coons no yotes when i talked to him. Eman
    Jump to: