would this be legit?

Author
spaceman
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/20 23:43:18 (permalink)

would this be legit?

this is my first post but ive been viewing this site for years.....this is all for fun but i want honest opinions.  ok say i have almost 2500 acres of private land all to myself "wouldnt that be sweet", and i could keep a nice deer heard on my property.  lets say im a millionare and dont care how i spend my money.  i decide to go and buy ten of the biggest whitetails i could find..  im talking the ones u see in pens that score in the 300 in class, and left them GO on my property.  if i would let them breed my does for a year hoping they stick around and dont get killed.  i would just want some of those genetics being bred into my local does.  could these monsters "children" be legally shot and put into the record books?  they technically wouldnt be (bought) deer then. just curious as to what you all think about this.......this is just one of my plans if i ever hit the lottery....big lottery.lol  this is just for fun again but let me know what you think.   i would live to try this somehwere and see what would happen.

27 Replies Related Threads

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/20 23:53:09 (permalink)
    if that's on your bucket list, then you are indeed a spaceman..
    spaceman
    New Angler
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/21 00:09:18 (permalink)
    nah this would be what i would try if i hit mega millions or owerball for a couple hundren million.  with that much money u could do whatever u wanted.  like i said this was just for fun and wanted some thought on this.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/21 07:29:45 (permalink)
    just bustin - welcome aboard
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/21 07:57:06 (permalink)
    I read a study once that said 62% of a buck's genetics comes from a doe. How that was determined or the validity of it, I don't know. Nor do I know if those offspring could be entered into the books, or why you'd want to.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/21 19:40:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spaceman

this is my first post but ive been viewing this site for years.....this is all for fun but i want honest opinions.  ok say i have almost 2500 acres of private land all to myself "wouldnt that be sweet", and i could keep a nice deer heard on my property.  lets say im a millionare and dont care how i spend my money.  i decide to go and buy ten of the biggest whitetails i could find..  im talking the ones u see in pens that score in the 300 in class, and left them GO on my property.  if i would let them breed my does for a year hoping they stick around and dont get killed.  i would just want some of those genetics being bred into my local does.  could these monsters "children" be legally shot and put into the record books?  they technically wouldnt be (bought) deer then. just curious as to what you all think about this.......this is just one of my plans if i ever hit the lottery....big lottery.lol  this is just for fun again but let me know what you think.   i would live to try this somehwere and see what would happen.

It is and would be illegal to release captive deer into the wild. That is the mostly likely way of introducing disease to the Penna. deer herd, such as CWD.

There would be some serious fines and the potential for even larger civil damages.

R.S. Bodenhorn  
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/21 20:30:17 (permalink)
    It is and would be illegal to release captive deer into the wild. That is the mostly likely way of introducing disease to the Penna. deer herd, such as CWD.

There would be some serious fines and the potential for even larger civil damages.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    I don't know if it is illegal, he would have to look into it. It's really no different than raising Pheasants for the game commission and releasing them into the wild. Those birds are capable of reproducing.

I seriously think it's a waste of money. Raising deer in captivity and releasing them into the wild will only result in doom for the deer. They wouldn't be able to survive. Even if there was a chance, you would have to raise several thousand of them first.

It's good you're thinking about doing something for your fellow man, assuming you did win. I would either buy land and start a "can" hunting business or start an elk farm. You can sell every part of the animal and make more money.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/21 20:57:44 (permalink)
    I don't know if it is illegal

It is.
    spaceman
    New Angler
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/21 22:41:25 (permalink)
    yea i do see the point about spreading disease like cwd....that wouldnt be good. and im shure fines would just be the start of that nightmare. they prob would be able to survive in the wild becasue they would be somewhat tame and the poachers around me would have a field day. 

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/22 12:37:12 (permalink)
        Might be a lot easier,cheaper  and less chance of introducing any outside disease to  cull the present herd and NOT shoot shooters for a few years.
     Might mean letting in some other hunters for a bit with certain restrictions on bucks till reaching the desired buck to doe ratio with the genetics you want to keep.
    upland310
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/22 22:34:15 (permalink)
    Don't know.. Think if had 2500 acres and more than 2 deer on it the PGC would say your over populated and issue special tags area or release more coyotes to reduce the herd. 
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/23 09:12:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: upland310

Don't know.. Think if had 2500 acres and more than 2 deer on it the PGC would say your over populated and issue special tags area or release more coyotes to reduce the herd. 

PGC releasing coyotes? that might introduce disease to the animal population, wouldn't it?
    they wouldn't dare tell us not to release animals into the wild population, with that excuse, if they do it, would they?

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/23 12:14:09 (permalink)
    DT, the yotes are tagged by the insurance companies, they just use PGC trucks to release them; the same as with the grey wolves...WF
    waspman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/23 12:50:38 (permalink)
    Ohio has done that. Ever been to Coshocton..or Knox county?

There's room for all gods creatures....right next to the taters and gravy.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/23 13:13:28 (permalink)
    You could do a pretty good job of raising some big bucks with 2500 acres and what genes are already there.

Spend your money on a fence, not a high fence to keep the deer in, but a 5 foot electric to keep the hunters out.

With the proper food available, ie. foodplots and mineral supplements at the right time they'd have no reason to "migrate".

You might loose a few going over the fence but should still be able to get some into the upper age classes. Our genes are good here they just need to get 4-5-6 years old to see their true potential.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2134
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/23 16:00:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

You could do a pretty good job of raising some big bucks with 2500 acres and what genes are already there.

Spend your money on a fence, not a high fence to keep the deer in, but a 5 foot electric to keep the hunters out.

With the proper food available, ie. foodplots and mineral supplements at the right time they'd have no reason to "migrate".

You might loose a few going over the fence but should still be able to get some into the upper age classes. Our genes are good here they just need to get 4-5-6 years old to see their true potential.

+1

That's my dream!
    spaceman
    New Angler
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/23 17:24:12 (permalink)
    whats funny is the 2500 acres allready has waaayyyy toooo many deer. for real. its nothing to see a hundred deer in one field in the sumer. and the pgc allready issues over 150 red tags every year to the poor farmer whos crops get absolutley destroyed.and they use them all every year. but with only six different landowners in the whole 2500 acres and none of them shoot does its almost like a zoo. i can hunt the outskirts of this property and can see a 30 does to 1 buck....kinda gets old...i cant believe i just said that. but there is some real good genetics there but just to many does the bucks dont have to roam in the rut....so i dont see them much. but in the summer u go and check out the fields and u will drool at all the bucks. but come hunting season they fall back on to the property and dissapear till next year.
    spaceman
    New Angler
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/26 22:08:13 (permalink)
    ahahahah well part of my dream just came true...a local deer farmer that has a monster 250 in class whitetail just got loose sometime last night along with five does that have some unbelievable genes.  his deer are huge... i guess his one nephew left the gate open and there on the loose. the buck had 29 points this year at 3.5 years old, he cut the horns off in november because he kept hitting the fence and putting holes in it.  this deer weighed 247lbs when he cut the horns off.  they were looking for them all day with no  luck. they are very spooky and he doesnt think he will ever get them back. they all have big yellow tags in the ears...omg i hope they make it till next year.  where they went is REAL close to my house.  good chance they will get hit on the highway like all the other big buck do.. grrrrr.  i feel bad for the guy though he paid like ten grand for the deer. but hopefully it finds some does that havent been bred yet!! this should be interesting to see what happens. 
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/27 08:50:04 (permalink)
    Heck with the buck- Everyone far and wide will be on your doorstep next year if he is still around.
    Those 5 Doe are the genetic future- perhaps carrying five to ten of his young around with them right now. Bout 3 to 4  years from now ????
    Hope for a real mild winter to max out their chances.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/12/27 11:28:30
    spaceman
    New Angler
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/27 22:10:59 (permalink)
    well just got the news...he got the buck and all but one doe back...i guess they got hungry and came back at daylight.  well that dream was short lived.  but could u just imagine if they stayed out and did live??? that would have been interesting to see.   and yea every hunter from far and wide would be going crazy over that deer.   my guess he would have been poached... to many ignorant people around here. 
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/28 07:52:54 (permalink)
    The former deer farmer across the road from where I hunt lost two breeder bucks about 15 years ago.  Neither were ever harvested by hunters or poachers (that anyone knows of).  And the quality of bucks did not see any increase at all.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/28 11:07:28 (permalink)
    Genetics are a very small factor in antler growth...WF
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/28 12:01:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: World Famous

Genetics are a very small factor in antler growth...WF

True.

But without them it would be like trying to make an omlete without eggs.  It just doesn't work.

What seems to come from the fact that nothing really happened with these two out there, and they were out there for at least two breeding seasons before they were no longer seen, even in the summer, is that some factors in the area -- quality of food, quality of the genetics in the resident doe population, minerals in the soil -- something, prevented the potential of their offspring from being realized (the select does bred in captivity produced some monsters -- under ideal conditions) is the question, with the genetics of these bucks not doing anything positive to the resident population, what chance does the less than stellar buck genetics of the area have in producing a real monster?

And therein lies the fallacy of AR -- if you just let the age structure change for them to be older, the anlters will follow.

Not necessarily.
    post edited by DarDys - 2011/12/28 12:37:17

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/28 12:27:39 (permalink)
    PGC koolaid baby, just koolaid....WF
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/28 12:37:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: World Famous

PGC koolaid baby, just koolaid....WF

What flavor?

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/28 13:22:37 (permalink)
    Green....WF
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/28 15:03:48 (permalink)
    Green as in like Nyquil?

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this be legit? 2011/12/28 15:13:16 (permalink)
    What ever has put us in dreamland,eh?...WF
    Jump to: