Author
trout man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/12 10:03:06 (permalink)

Rod Building

Happy Holidays everyone.
Well i was going to build a fly rod, but deceided to try an ultralight spinning rod as a pracice rod. So the big question, or questions are. What tools will i need to make a rod? Do i need a rod turner? What are the minimum tools needed? I saw a couple of kits in Janns Netcraft that will fit the bill. Just not sure of what tools i will need. Thanks in advance for your help.
Tight Lines
Trout Man

3 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Rod Building 2011/12/12 16:14:04 (permalink)
    Tools:

Masking Tape (for small strips of tape for your tip guides use an xacto knife and cut them on a cutting board),
    5 minute Devcon Epoxy (handles/reel seat),
    Slow Cure finish, (Get the flex coat lite kit w/ brushes syringes and mixing cups),
    Cuticle Clippers (for thread tag ends, I would suggest you get these). 
    Knitting Needle (for burnishing thread/closing thread gaps)
    If you have a rat-tail file in different tapered diameters, that should be sufficient to bore out your cork w/ a taper, if not, you will need to get/make yourself a reamer to make your cork a taper.
    You also need a piece of 3M scotchbrite to prepare your rod blank surface for the handle and seat. 

if you need a wrapper to borrow I have a flex coat FC-1 I can lend you IF you promise me you will return it.  If not, make your own, buy one, or use cardboard box cut out w/ notches and use a book to keep the thread tight.

As far as a turner, you don't NEED one per say, but it would be beneficial to have one for applying/drying your finish until you develop the dexterity to go at it without one.  If ur gonna get one, go w/ one that spins 18 RPM or higher.  Sorry but I don't have one that I don't not use. 

www.rodbuildingtutorials.com is a good place to kick around as well.

Adam
    Whitebeard
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Rod Building 2011/12/14 02:52:42 (permalink)
    Try this series of 22 videos.  It's the most comprehensive guide that I've found anywhere on the Web.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FlyrodFanatic/videos?sort=da&view=u
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Rod Building 2011/12/14 13:22:50 (permalink)
    Also, since you are building a spin rod ill add this....

http://batsonenterprises.com/rod-building-videos
    Jump to: