Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/08 18:30:03 (permalink)

ANF =

it's sad that i spent a whole day in the 2f Allegheny national forest and only seen one rear end of a white tail all day.
i wonder how many more doe tags they'll give out next year

How many other hunters or vehicles did you see in that one area of 2F... ??

Most hunters that I know that USE TO hunt the ANF have given up hunting ANY deer there... so the number of doe tags issued may have little effect in the ANF if no one but a few are still hunting there ....

Saturday sounded like a war zone in this area of 2F..

I have said it a thousand times hunting the ANF is the last place on earth that I would go to hunt Pa whitetails in today's world... I am sure the number of fair to good spots there is very few... even PGC foresters and WCOs that spend LOTS of time in that area agree it is not prime hunting grounds anymore.. NO habitat.. no food... no security for new born fawns...

talking about one poor area of 2F and trying to use that as a reason to lower allocations for the whole WMU is not fair to thousands who have no problems seeing and harvesting deer in other areas of that WMU....

If there are very few deer in the ANF. then simply DO NOT HUNT or HARVEST any deer there.. let the herd re-build.. but I doubt that is even possible for the next 5-10 years.... find another area with more deer.. there are plenty of them in 2F... that may allow the herd to re-build.. If guys still hunt there and harvesting what few deer are left I do not see how that is the fault of the PGC...

38 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/08 18:47:27 (permalink)
    If guys still hunt there and harvesting what few deer are left I do not see how that is the fault of the PGC...

Very simple---because it was the PGC that issued the tags and had special seasons to wipe out the deer on the ANF. In spite of claims of no food, no security, etc the ANF was supporting 25 to 40 dpsm prior to 2000. they had doe days start on the ANF only before regular doe season to kill them even before AR/HR. If there are too many or too few deer on the ANF it is solely the PGC's fault because they are the ones who issue the tags and set the seasons and bag limit.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/08 19:44:54 (permalink)
    If the PGC issues me a tag to legally kill a deer does it mean I have to kill one...
    and if I do it's the PGC's fault ??????

Is it not MY choice ???

If I decide there are not enough deer in my area and I throw it away does that mean a deer was saved ?? or does it just mean that someone else may shoot the one I would have ???

To kill a deer or to not kill a deer ... is that NOT my decision ????

How can it be the PGC's fault ?? If I do not use my tag is that the PGC's fault too ???

The PGC gives EVERYONE a "tag" for a buck... but the success rates changes very little from year to year... should we cut back on "buck tags" too..

Maybe go to a lottery system for shooting bucks .. less bucks killed would allow more to be seen the next year ...

The problem is MANY have no problems harvesting deer in the areas they hunt... others do have lots of problems .. and do NOT want to change ( change has always come hard for most folks)
    and they need someone to blame other than themselves for hunting poor areas with few deer..

I do not see any WMU that the harvest is so drastic it would cause alarm since HR was inacted... sure it ain't the good old days.. but PLENTY of guys are still being successful...

and let's face it == many of the folks doing the complaining are still killing deer each year in the areas they are complaining about

Why would someone continue to hunt a poor areas and complain rather than move and be successful ???
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/08 20:47:29 (permalink)
    The PGC was established in 1896 to enact and enforce laws to prevent the over harvest of the states wildlife. It is sole and only the PGC's responsibility. They make the laws, they set the bag limits, they enforce the laws, they set the season lenghts. It is their job, it is their responsibility. If the states wildlife hs been over harvested it is because of their actions.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 05:27:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

The PGC was established in 1896 to enact and enforce laws to prevent the over harvest of the states wildlife. It is sole and only the PGC's responsibility. They make the laws, they set the bag limits, they enforce the laws, they set the season lenghts. It is their job, it is their responsibility. If the states wildlife hs been over harvested it is because of their actions.

x2

Dr Trout- I think you are being overly protective of the PGC with your last post.

Laying the reponsibility on the hunter "to not fill a tag" is bogus.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 07:02:37 (permalink)
    Always thought it was the PGC that contolled the deer herd with allocations.
    Guess they don't know what they are doing and should let the hunters do it themselves ,Doc.

Pure stupidity.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 09:33:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: draketrutta

ORIGINAL: S-10

x2

Dr Trout- I think you are being overly protective of the PGC with your last post.

Laying the reponsibility on the hunter "to not fill a tag" is bogus.

+3

whether i'm hunting deer or taking a stroll in the ANF for the day!

i hunt a certain area i have hunted for years with my grandfather and his old camp friends. there is a memorial in those woods i visit at least twice a year. it's an area i hunted with my three boys. whether i shoot a deer or not isn't the point. there used to be game galore, not anymore!!!

dr. trout,  
    1) do you think if there wasn't as many doe lisc. given out all those years and the doe hunting wouldn't have changed from 3 days to two weeks and to now regs, there would be just as few deer in that area?
    when there were lots of deer in the ANF, no matter where i hunted, i never remember seeing a bunch of deer carcases in the forest that could have been from starvation. i never remember butchering a deer that i thought that looked as if it were starving. 

2)i spend a lot of time in the ANF hunting, hiking and fishing. the deer population throughout the ANF is way, way down. if it's not for the PGC who do you suppose is to blame?

just asking for your opinion.

there used to be deer galore in the ANF, not anymore!!!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 14:15:30 (permalink)
    Been talking to the Forest Service Foresters as I am working in the ANF.

They seem to be a little disgusted with the lack of deer themselves..

Dam slobs, goons, poachers, not nice guys are killing them all.
    Wonder who they got the tags from..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 14:33:31 (permalink)
    It's no different than what they have been trying to do on the state forest. In fact they have already succeeded on a lot of it. Once you have taken the numbers down that far on large tracts of land it is very difficult to bring them back up again due to predators and natural mortality removing them faster than reproduction is adding them. Of course some of us have been saying that for years and were laughed at.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 15:24:18 (permalink)
    Blaming hunters is a cop-out. Pgc gets paid many millions of dollars to do their job, and that job inludes looking out for the well being of the sport of hunting, and it also included preventing OVERHARVEST not just under-harvest.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 16:44:38 (permalink)
    HUNT SOMEWHERE ELSE. You are hunting dead deer. Just because it was good 20 years ago does not mean it is good now. Don't like it, quit, more deer for real hunters(guys that actually go IN the woods and not drive around and say theres no deer here!). Hunters killed the deer NOT the PGC. Who pulls the trigger?
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 17:47:55 (permalink)
    Hunters killed the deer NOT the PGC. Who pulls the trigger?

If that's the case then there was no reason for the PGC to be created since their JOB was and still is)to enact and enforce regulations to prevent the over harvest of the states wildlife.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 18:01:08 (permalink)
    It is YOU ( the hunters ) position that deer numbers are too low in the ANF, not the PGC's. So if YOU ( hunters ) want less killed, it up to YOU ( hunters ) to act accordingly. If there are no ( few ) deer, and little reason ( habitat ) for the deer to be there. Why would you hunt there, then complain about what you already knew going in?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 18:16:31 (permalink)
    Spoon, the whiners on here do not want to hear that. They just want to blame the PGC. I always love the guys who say they saw one deer and killed it! That will help the deer population won't it.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 18:59:57 (permalink)
    HUNT SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I cant. Tagged out. But believe it or not, im not so blinded by shortsightedness as to think thats all there is to hunting in Pa or management of our sport...Wether or not I can manage to harvest a buck in spite of a miserably failed program.

"Hunters killed the deer NOT the PGC. Who pulls the trigger?"

who made it legal for them to pull the trigger. Thing there wouldnt be alot more robberies****and murder if it werent legal? Would you blame society and hold the moronic lawmakers blameless?
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:01:44 (permalink)
    It is basic biology...

Let's use cows for an example...

If a farmer's has A 500 acre PASTURE (like a state forest or something) he knows just how many cows he can feed on those acres and how long the field will provide food... let's say it's as simple as one cow per acre... so the pasture (habitat) can support 500 cows... now if the farmers does not thin his herd every year how long will it take to get the population of cows to be more than that 500 acres can provide food for ?? He can't just let the herd grow and grow so folks can see lots of cows on the 500 acres...

The fact YOU did not see dead starved deer means NOTHING.... at some point if left alone and free roaming many of his cows are going to leave that farmers 500 acres and go somewhere else to find food..rather than stay there and die... animals are not that dumb ...

Do you think deer will stay where they can not find enough food to be healthy and re-produce..

The ANF was allowed to get way too many deer in the herd... many moved out and probably over the years many ended up in the areas of 2F that are still great hunting today even with herd reduction.....

That's why I say that if everyone hunting the ANF would stop killing deer tomorrow regardless of allocations.. just don't kill any... I believe it would still take MAYBE 5-10 years to have any habitat that could support the herd of the old days... my guess is the areas I am familiar with are SO BAD .. they may never be able to support more than one or two deer per square mile...

some deer hunters do what it takes to be successful and see deer... others kill deer and still complain about the numbers in their areas.. and others just complain..

Been that way FOREVER....

Guys wanted to stop shooting does (to let the herd build) in the north central and big woods areas since the 1960s...1970s,1980s,, 1990s,, and still complaining today.....

different strokes for different folks...

but as we see here right on this site.. the number complaining is very small compared to the successful hunters posting their harvest figures and photos of such... check out the survey that is here... and there's some more photos of nice harvests even from 2F "over there"...

The sky is not and has not been falling just because of ARs and HR .....

I completely understand the tradition type spots and the memories of great past hunts in those spots.. but as others just mentioned... if there are no deer there now.. why complain.. find where those deer moved to..

There's some of my favorite areas and "spots" right here that I have not hunted in years...
    I did not see deer there on several trips or other changes ... so I don't hunt there... I hutn where I can see and harvest deer TODAY.... forget about the 60s.80s, 90s etc...

I have not hunted two spots at Clear Creek this year simply because I did not see deer there last year on several trips or on my scouting trips this summer......

2 gas wells put in and the Oak trees cut down for them..
    2 new "camps build"
    1 is now posted because of hunters shooting things thasn were not game animals (like the pet donkey mentioned).. not anything to do with deer
    4 areas are tough to hunt and I am too old to get in there
    2 areas used to have crop fields near by.. now they are just over grown fields of weeds...

It's all about CHANGE... and CHALLENGE.. and those wanting to accept that fact...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/12/09 19:07:47
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:04:40 (permalink)
    You may want to read back through your posts before you call anyone a whiner. Seems you whine about your area, hunt Ohio because of better hunting and bought and posted land in Warren County because of the lousy hunting where you live. If there is an overharvest of deer on the ANF or anywhere else the agency responsible for that is the PGC because they are PAID FULL TIME to prevent that from happening. Some of you have a hard time accepting FACTS. The fact is some humans will exploit any resource if given the opportunity and the PGC has the power to give them enough Tags to do just that with the deer.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:10:39 (permalink)
    I always love the guys who say they saw one deer and killed it! That will help the deer population won't it.

You heard it said that must be the case across the board I guess. Therefore no hunter has a legitimate complaint with anything other than ourselves I guess. lmao.

It is YOU ( the hunters ) position that deer numbers are too low in the ANF, not the PGC's. So if YOU ( hunters ) want less killed, it up to YOU ( hunters ) to act accordingly.

And what if some (hunters) arent responsible or educated and those (some hunters) dont act accordingly? Everyone esle whom does should be penalized for it because some horsearse agency (PGC) wants the deer dead for the name of extreme biodiveristy (trillium) and timber (wood). So if they(hunter complaining) quit hunting there, and things dont improve because others (hunters) dont, is it then ok for them (hunters) to complain?

Sorry Spoon. But the herd is already in reduction/stabilization mode with the harvests we have already been achieving across the vast majority of the state. Harvesting more by more of us becoming super hunters or moving to other areas will simply take the herd even lower and equal even lower success rates across the board. Only solution is to first allow herd growth to accomadate more sustained harvest. That is the only way possible. And thats up to the gameless commission to facilitate.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/12/09 19:11:54
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:11:41 (permalink)
    The fact is some humans will exploit any resource

And that is EXACTLY who's to blame....

why should I not get a tag (lower allocations) because of a guy like that ??????

Should we outlaw drinking alcohol because some exploit the right and drive drunk and kill other people ??????

If I never drink and drive why should my right to drink alcohol be effect by drunk drivers ????
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:13:48 (permalink)
    And that is EXACTLY who's to blame....

Those who permit it, with power to stop it...whom we pay a helluva chunk of change overall, to ensure it doesnt happen.

Should we outlaw drinking alcohol because some exploit the right and drive drunk and kill other people ??????

Drinking isnt a bad thing in itself and done responsibly. Those laws in place ensure that we do so or pay the price. Not so with deer management. Kill too many deer is not only legal, but its encouraged.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/12/09 19:14:36
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:16:23 (permalink)
    Thats it S10 blame me. Because of ME you don't see 50 deer a day like you were use to. Dude get over it, it is 2011. Live in the present and move on!! Everyone on this site knows you are the biggest whiner on here. You proved it MANY times over. Adapt or quit. I can't help it you have gotten lazy in your golden years.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:21:13 (permalink)
    If there is an overharvest of deer on the ANF or anywhere else the agency responsible for that is the PGC because they are PAID FULL TIME to prevent that from happening. Some of you have a hard time accepting FACTS. The fact is some humans will exploit any resource if given the opportunity and the PGC has the power to give them enough Tags to do just that with the deer.

Apparently s10, some believe they just arent responsible for anything. 75 million dollar per year agency getting paid just to sit on their fat cans scratching themselves.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:22:07 (permalink)
    "Those who permit it, with power to stop it..."

You have no power over your own actions? You harves a deer this year? Sorry, but it all boils down to others must harvest less, so I can have more.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:23:35 (permalink)
    So it's okay to punish those of us (like you) that are still having no problem filling our freezers because a few still hunt areas with few deer... They bought their license..
    It's their choice where to hunt ...

The PGC issues tags to get a certain number of deer killed to control populations... just because the ANF does not have good habitat or good deer populations.. why should I not get a tag to help in this area.. lower the tags.. I don't get one... the same guys that are killing that very last deer in the ANF still does get one.. what did lowering the allcoations prove NOW ????

well everyone knows my position .. I TRULY appreciate some others coming forward who share some of those same thoughts and feeling ....

also I'll back off rather than get this into the same old debate and the thread get closed...

I have been given a final warning about getting thread closed -- so I have been laying low..

but had to comment on the idea of continuing to hunt areas that have proven to a hunter there are not many deer there, but they go anyhow, then complain..

I'll be reading though ... have fun.. keep it "above board" ...

TIL LATER...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/12/09 19:25:53
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:27:17 (permalink)
    DuUD,

The PGC isn't complaining, YOU are. The PGC doesn't believe the numbers are too low, YOU do. YOU can't control what the PGC does, but you CAN control what YOU do.

Being permitted to do a thing, does not equate a requirement to do it.

Too many deer being harvested ( in YOUR opinion )? Put your money where your mouth is, and take a pass next season.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:40:11 (permalink)
    You have no power over your own actions?

Course I do. And thats why I havent shot a doe in years. And for the overall picture, what has it accomplished other than making me able to say Im not a hypocrite and practice what I preach?

"Sorry, but it all boils down to others must harvest less, so I can have more."

No. Thats a nonsensical take on things. Im fine with what I kill every year. One buck is all that is legal for me regardless. Therefore you argument holds no water. If I said it once Ive said it a hundred times. Its NOT all about "me". Its about alot of folks, and about whats best for the sport/management tool in this state. And I think you realize that. But you just like having someone to talk to that isnt a fellow lib.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/12/09 19:50:15
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:43:19 (permalink)
    I'll blame someone other than pgc, the second they stop taking hunter funding meant to manage game animals. If they want to manage for 100% birds wildflowers and timber... Then let audubon, dcnr, and others in the timber industry foot the entire management bill... And we hunt for free. Besides, if they want out of their responsibility they should pay us to do the job we are doing for society right?
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:43:47 (permalink)
    Thats it S10 blame me. Because of ME you don't see 50 deer a day like you were use to. Dude get over it, it is 2011. Live in the present and move on!! Everyone on this site knows you are the biggest whiner on here. You proved it MANY times over. Adapt or quit. I can't help it you have gotten lazy in your golden years.

That's typical, when you can't stand or accept the facts resort to name calling. You don't have a clue how I hunt or how hard I hunt or how smart or successful I may or may not be. You can't accept the facts I present so I must be a lazy road hunter.

Even the courts ruled it was the PGC's responsibility to manage the deer herd. If the wildlife numbers are too low the courts ruled who is responsible. If they want to pass it on to someone else then they should quit taking the hunters money.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:48:43 (permalink)
    So it's okay to punish those of us (like you) that are still having no problem filling our freezers

Yeah, its all about me not being able to kill a deer. lmao. Have you even read one of my posts? Or seen my pictures of my bucks from this year and last.

I dont think I saw a pic of yours. Perhaps I missed it?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: ANF = 2011/12/09 19:48:58 (permalink)
    "Even the courts ruled it was the PGC's responsibility to manage the deer herd."

And the last I heard, the courts found no evidence that they were not doing it appropriately. They aren't trying to "pass" anything on, because THEY are not saying too many deer are being harvested.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: