WMU 2B

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/13 18:18:47 (permalink)
So the hunters need to regulate the deer herd based on their personal opinions of the deer herd in their area. I see...

But who am I as a hunter to question the PGC biologist/experts. If they want a certain number of deer killed in a WMU to further their agenda(whatever it might be) then they should be the last word , yes? Didn't you scoff at the gents burnng doe tags for just that reason ?

I would like to see the numbers for Private/public land.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/13 19:31:55 (permalink)

So the hunters need to regulate the deer herd based on their personal opinions of the deer herd in their area

It would appear to someone reading this board that is exactly what hunters are doing..
basing the deer population in the area they hunt by the number of deer they see, or the number of deer they hear about from their friends.

Burning tags gets NO DEER harvested in any part of a WMU.... and leads to more tags being issued the following year.. allocations are based on how many deer need harvest in a WMU and how many tags does it take to get that many killed...

example ==

The PGC figured there would be less deer harvested in 2F because of the one week only season to fill a doe tag .. so to compensate... what did they do.. issued 10,000 more tags to get the same "expected" harvest for the WMU....

rather than shooting one at let's say the ANF a hunter maybe should use the tag and fill it at clear creek... thus allowing the herd to possibly grow a little in the ANF and reducing the CCSF herd which is much higher...

All I am saying is If an area has few deer and you know it from past hunting trips there.. find a new spot or don't complain about not seeing deer at that spot year after year...

If you were fishing a spot on Elk Creek and year after year you saw no steelies in it would you keep going there hoping or expecting to see/catch steelies in it ????

And would you blame the PFBC for that one ???

My guess is there are a few here that would...

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/13 19:54:02 (permalink)
Where have you ever heard me complain about not seeing deer ????
Or not being able to kill one or find one to kill ???

I haven't shot a doe in 20 years. I'm doing my part, and it sure is working out around here. Less and less deer every year.

Only point I am trying to make is the deer herd is down, there are less deer around (most of the state). The PGC is in control of the deer herd, the onus is on them.

Yes I would keep trying that hole on Elk, Steelhead are very migratory and can be here today and gone tomorrow. Not one section on Elk that doesn't hold fish at some point in time.
Unlike some parts of the state where there really are very few deer.

Why do you guys get all jacked up and start calling people lazy, not real hunters and all your other BS when all was said was the deer numbers are down.

It's a fact.. Does that just stick in your craw or what...

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/13 20:06:56 (permalink)
I did not say YOU were complaining about not seeing deer ---- again read what I post... if you want to add yourself to the complainers, by all means do so.. but I do not recall ever calling you personally lazy.. or a complainer... if the shoe fits where it...

Interesting you defend your postion by saying steelheads are migratory.. there today gone tomorrow....

and deer aren't --- huh they are always in only one spot 24/7 -- 52 weeks a year .. UNBELIEVABLE....

I have NEVER claimed the deer numbers were NOT down statewide.. 90% of the time I talk about what I KNOW for FACT the deer herd in my part of 2F.... and try to show all is not as bad as some post here...

The herd is probably still down 30% - 40% from the "good old days" of a deer behind every tree...
and I'll continue to think that is a good thing for the future...

I just get tired of you guys who add NOTHING but challenges and attacks on me...

Maybe this will be the post that gets me banned... if it is.. I'll still be able to read and we'll see what happens when you guys don't have some of us to pick on in all your replies...
I'm tried of defending myself against these few guys day after day...and correcting what they post that I say ...

we'll see if they turn on each other so they can have something to post about on here........

so maybe this will be good bye ======
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/12/13 20:09:01
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/13 21:45:27 (permalink)
Burning tags gets NO DEER harvested in any part of a WMU.... and leads to more tags being issued the following year.. allocations are based on how many deer need harvest in a WMU and how many tags does it take to get that many killed...

example ==

The PGC figured there would be less deer harvested in 2F because of the one week only season to fill a doe tag .. so to compensate... what did they do.. issued 10,000 more tags to get the same "expected" harvest for the WMU....

Of course you realize that you just admitted that it is the PGC that controls the harvest and not the individual hunter pulling the trigger. Regardless what the individual hunter does the PGC has the means to compensate for it to get the results they want.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/13 21:59:12 (permalink)
Didn't realize the Whitetail deer was a migratory animal.
You better read up on the definition of migratory.

migratory (mgr-tôr)
Traveling from one place to another at regular times of year, often over long distances. Salmon, whales, and swallows are all migratory animals.

post edited by bingsbaits - 2011/12/13 22:00:07

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/13 22:02:55 (permalink)
By migratory perhaps he means going from the bait pile in his back yard to his neighbors posted property and back again.
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/13 22:07:04 (permalink)
"Burning tags gets NO DEER harvested in any part of a WMU.... and leads to more tags being issued the following year.."

Um, not exactly. Thats just a pgc supporter scare tactic that youve heard, to prevent guys from doing it. If the tags per doe increases it can be taken as herd declining. WHich can be crosschecked to some extent with buck harvest trends etc. But there is no direct correlation to burning tags accurately equating to more being issued following year.

If your allocation of 5000 is designed to get a harvest of 1000 to 1200 deer and it had for a few years, and now its getting harvests of 700 to 800, does that mean your herd has shrunk? Or more guys are burning tags? You don't know this. Neither would pgc. And why on earth would they issue more tags, when in all likelihood the lessened harvest is PROBABLY due to further reductions?

The goal in this instance shouldnt be to meet the previously set 1000 to 1200 deer harvest if the herd goal is supposedly stabilization. The harvest goal should then be lowered, especially if the buck harvest did not climb but declined also.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/12/13 22:23:04
Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/14 17:52:16 (permalink)
you know Doc, for the past 7 years as you are saying and the past 100...the PGC still uses a guess system..."educated" as they say... I know for facts 2B herds are out of wack with low numbers. and areas are still jumping off limbs. and WE all know its due to Access to that land. Thats the biggest issue the GC didnt factor in...

I would love to revise the 2B map, and the season. The 2B season was always the two weeks with a rifle for a "antlerless"
with the regular firearms. I was reading in the 2009season someone thought different? or was it the extended two weeks after the the intial two weeks of muzzle loader season? Regardless, it shouldnt even be that long with "any weapon". I'm sure the PGC knew that the pa hunters would take full advantage of the season, but in regards of them caring later...apparently they don't.

All i can say, is that 2B map was the so layed out over the"green" on a human population map its absurd. They weren't caring about over populated deer...they cared about deer herd around people. That's all i hear from people that live in plans..."there are so many deer in my back yard." my question- can you hunt? their answer- "no"

so what is the Game commissions answer? try to kill all the deer possible surrounding anywhere in hopes the deer behind houses move out??? thats just a silly theory, but some truth in it if you think about it...

As far as it stands now, i can't see the population of deer ever increasing in 2b with the way people are, and the way seasons lay, and the way its "endless" tags.

which brings up another story......i've heard and seen people use a 2B tag for another WMU...and if they actually turn that tag in......2B looks like its better.
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/14 18:00:09 (permalink)
   Bull- here in Ct the condition you just advised of is normal procedure. Many tags to fill but finding deer on the allowed properties can be a real issue unless you get just 'the right spots'.
   Urbies hate the Deer damage but hate hunters even more so permision is a difficult task and often obtained on only a parcel of a coupla acres in a wooded backyard.
  Have seen 3 Deer in the past 2 weeks in my 'allowed place' and took the grand kids a mile and a half over to a non hunting field tonight just before dark where we counted 15- just in that one 6 acre non hunting field.
  Gotta say there have been 7 taken from my spot this year so far so it isnt a position of NO Deer but that they  simply move off as the season progresses to places where they are not hunted.
  first few days - yipee -then gonzo.
worm_waster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 528
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/14 19:42:06 (permalink)
How about this for an idea?

Issue each hunter ONE either sex tag, good for any season you have a tag and in any area resident or nonresident.  As it stands now, pretty much any resident who wants one can get one for any zone they wish anyway. 

The nonzone specific either sex tag would have several advantages.  First, hunters no longer will have to worry about the pink envelope garbage.  There won't be multi page threads entitiled "They cashed my check" or "in the mail for 7 hours and no word yet"  but the internet world would get over it.  It allows hunters to hunt with friends in any zone, which is particularly useful in the Jr and Sr seasons.  Many doe will be saved by hunters waiting for the buck and many bucks will be saved when a meat hunter drops the hammer on a doe at 8:00 the first day. 

Issue bonus tags in areas where there are a lot of deer.
Use DMAP instead of wmu tags to provide for more localized management.
Add a day or two of firearm doe hunting only in DMAP areas.  Spread these days out, so that the deer have a chance to move back in to areas open to hunting.
Allow active servicemen to use there either sex tag with a rifle from the first day of archery through the last day of muzzleloader.  These guys can't pick and choose there vacation like we do and there aren't enough of them at any given time to make much of a difference in the harvest numbers.

Fire away....w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/14 19:47:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bull Lifter

you know Doc, for the past 7 years as you are saying and the past 100...the PGC still uses a guess system..."educated" as they say... I know for facts 2B herds are out of wack with low numbers. and areas are still jumping off limbs. and WE all know its due to Access to that land. Thats the biggest issue the GC didnt factor in...

I would love to revise the 2B map, and the season. The 2B season was always the two weeks with a rifle for a "antlerless"
with the regular firearms. I was reading in the 2009season someone thought different? or was it the extended two weeks after the the intial two weeks of muzzle loader season? Regardless, it shouldnt even be that long with "any weapon". I'm sure the PGC knew that the pa hunters would take full advantage of the season, but in regards of them caring later...apparently they don't.

All i can say, is that 2B map was the so layed out over the"green" on a human population map its absurd. They weren't caring about over populated deer...they cared about deer herd around people. That's all i hear from people that live in plans..."there are so many deer in my back yard." my question- can you hunt? their answer- "no"

so what is the Game commissions answer? try to kill all the deer possible surrounding anywhere in hopes the deer behind houses move out??? thats just a silly theory, but some truth in it if you think about it...

As far as it stands now, i can't see the population of deer ever increasing in 2b with the way people are, and the way seasons lay, and the way its "endless" tags.

which brings up another story......i've heard and seen people use a 2B tag for another WMU...and if they actually turn that tag in......2B looks like its better.

Mabee, I heard from a reliable source that deer migrate. So if you can find their migration route you are Golden..

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/14 20:53:28 (permalink)
According to Mirriam-Webster ==

mi·grate /ˈmaɪˌgreɪt/ verb

1: to move from one country, place, or locality to another

2: of a bird or animal : to move from one area to another at different times of the year

So (imho) a deer may migrate from the farmer's crop fields in mid-summer to the oak tree areas of a forest in search of acorns later in the year...

or a deer may migrate from the apple orchards to the beech nut trees in a forest in the fall..

or a buck may migarte from one area to another during the rut in search of a female to breed...

and for sure deer often migrate to "deer yards" during deep snow and harsh winters...

see I guess it all depends on which dictionary you use.

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/12/14 20:55:57
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/14 21:02:33 (permalink)
Really reaching now...

Ask RSB if deer are migrational animals.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/14 21:09:55 (permalink)
Just posting out what I found in MY dictionaries.. I found nothing about any ANNUAL movement in any of my dictionaries ....

My webster dictionary says this about migration of animals .. to move from one area or habitat to another for feeding or breeding...

so (IMHO) I guess a person could use migrate if they so choose when they refer to an animal's movements... and not be wrong for doing that ...

My mistake was using steelhead as an example ... I should have just said would a person fish a spot time after time year after year and after never seeing or catching fish in that spot continue to fish there and blame the PFBC for the lack of fish in that spot ...

oh well it really is not that important anyhow... most folks complain about something in their lives...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/12/14 21:14:04
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/14 21:14:46 (permalink)
Travel: When lots of good food is available, the white tail deer restricts its movements to about 1 square mile. If food is scarce or the winter weather bitter, the deer forsake their usual haunts and retire to coulees, canebrakes, thickets and draws. These deer do not have even a limited migration. They prefer to stay near the spot where they were born and raised and where they know the countryside intimately. This reluctance to move is often their undoing. They die of starvation because they refuse to leave their home range for another where food may be plentiful.

At one time, there was a seasonal migration of whitetail deer in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. By 1870, lumbermen had invaded the area and the forests began to fall. With the clearing of those forests with no underbrush, huge tracts of brushland came into being, providing excellent deer food. This is the only authenticated record of whitetail migration known.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/14 21:24:15 (permalink)
whatever... I believe most reading my post got the point of my example ...

you just decided to disagree with the point by mentioning steelhead migrate...totally missing the point I was trying to make...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/12/14 21:25:46
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/14 21:29:12 (permalink)
Pennsylvania deer do not migrate and never have. Thats one of the problems with them. They could have excellent feed two miles away and never know it. The nearest thing to a migration is the yearling buck dispersal but once they leave they don't come back.
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/14 21:32:44 (permalink)
The bucks migrate during the rut
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/14 21:47:13 (permalink)
the white tail deer restricts its movements to about 1 square mile

I do not know if the "travels" of the collared deer is out there for the general public on the PGC website or not, but I have been "privy" to some of those results and many of them "migrate" more than a square mile..

One female traveled/migrated over THREE COUNTIES away from where it was collared.... and I forget how far one of the buck traveled.. maybe RSB could give us some fact on the collared deer movements.. ??
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/14 22:53:20 (permalink)
The centre county study showed bucks dispersed an average of 4 miles.  I forget the Armstrong county distance.

Whitetails migrate !   That's great !

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/15 07:57:24 (permalink)
Doc- Migration is defined as group movement of birds, animals, or fish from one location to another and back again. When deer disperse they do it individualy and don't return which is defined as emigration. Apples and Oranges.
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/15 11:03:18 (permalink)
      While targeting particular Bucks on Pvt properties over time I have noticed some have a tendency to leave during the rutting weeks. Various reports and tracking data over the years have indicated that even though Doe can be plentiful in the area some Bucks travel as much as 8 miles during the rutting time. Reminds me of my 'early years' bar hopping from town to town.
  Have also noticed that it has not been uncommon while waiting out those Deer to have found them 'back home' very late in the season. Have taken some in the last week of our long Deer season ( late Dec.) right back where they were all Summer. YES I know bout the 'late rutting' but some  do seem to wander then return after the main rutting behavior.
   Since Doe would be VERY hard to observe and have to be collared I have no personal experiences with them doing this. Experience says however that its not uncommon for the wandering Bucks to eventually come home.
NOT talkin bout junior Deer being kicked out by grandpa or mom here- talking bout mature Bucks.
   Have always felt that this kind of activity leads to folks thinking they are still around during the season but have learned to hide real well- hey- they might not even be there for a while - then ya seeum after the season again right back home.
    Ever wonder why you think you have seen every Buck in your area on that trail cam and then - "hey whered he come from".
post edited by retired guy - 2011/12/15 11:13:19
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/15 19:19:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

I do not know if the "travels" of the collared deer is out there for the general public on the PGC website or not, but I have been "privy" to some of those results and many of them "migrate" more than a square mile..

One female traveled/migrated over THREE COUNTIES away from where it was collared.... and I forget how far one of the buck traveled.. maybe RSB could give us some fact on the collared deer movements.. ??

One of the young bucks was collared in eastern Cameron County and dispersed, I think it was 43 miles (might have only been 34 miles I can’t remember which without looking it up) to where it lost its collar as an adult in the extreme western part of Elk County.

I don’t know what the longest movement has been for a doe.

R.S. Bodenhorn
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/15 21:26:02 (permalink)
That buck musta had a drivers license!...WF
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/15 22:00:13 (permalink)
I stayed up a little longer looking for the article I knew I had posted about the collaered deer moving.., I finally found it..

December 26, 2010
By Tom Venesky
It takes an extraordinary effort for a radio-collared deer to elude Jim Stickles.

This young buck was photographed by a trail camera earlier this month in the Loyalville area. In February it was trapped by the Pennsylvania Game Commission in Montrose and fitted with a radio-collar as part of a study. It traveled approximately 40 miles since then to reach Luzerne County.

N. Brin/for the times leader

Select images available for purchase in the
Times Leader Photo Store
Radio collars provide valuable information on deer
The radio collars that the PGC’s Jim Stickles uses not only give him the location of a particular deer, but it tells him if the animal is dead or alive. The animal’s movement triggers a mechanism inside the collar to emit a beep per second. If the deer stops moving for six to eight hours, the mechanism will beep twice every second, indicating the animal has died or the collar was removed.

Buck’s 40-mile journey a big benefit to gene pool
PGC biologist Kevin Wenner said the 40-mile journey of a young buck from Montrose to Loyalville this year is not only impressive, but a huge benefit to the gene pool as well. Such drastic movements result in a mix of the genetics in a particular area, he said.

It also explains why twin fawns usually have separate fathers, according to Wenner.

“It’s not like a herd of beef cows with a bull that are fenced in where you control it,” Wenner said. “In a wild setting, you might see a large buck with some doe and assume he’s doing all the breeding in the area, but that’s far from the truth.

“That buck is likely to move on during the rut and another buck can move in and breed her when she’s in heat again, as evident by twin fawns not having the same father.”
As the field crew leader for the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s Deer and Elk Section in Wildlife Management Unit 3C, Stickles is in charge of monitoring the movements of almost 300 deer that were trapped and fitted with radio collars during the last two years.

If a particular animal turns up missing from its original capture site, Stickles will intensely monitor a 10-mile radius around the area and is usually able to locate the deer. If that doesn’t work, he takes to the sky and uses a plane and aerial telemetry to find it.

But for most of the summer and fall, one deer – a young buck – has been able to elude Stickles and his high-tech devices.

The deer was originally trapped and collared in February in Montrose, Susquehanna County. In the early summer it left the area and was documented again in Springville, in the southern part of the county.

By the end of October, however, Stickles wasn’t able to find the young buck.

Until now.

On Dec. 1, a Loyalville resident contacted the PGC about a deer photographed on a trail camera that had a collar. PGC biologist Kevin Wenner looked at the pictures and recognized the collar as those being used by the agency as part of its four-year study designed to measure the impacts of a special five-day antlered/seven-day concurrent season established in 2008.

Wenner called Stickles, who came to the area and immediately located and identified the deer as the missing buck.

That it turned up in Loyalville after being collared in Montrose earlier in the year meant the buck traveled approximately 40 miles.

“That’s quite a distance for a deer to travel,” Stickles said. “It’s not the first 40-mile dispersal, but it’s not common either.”

During the first two years of the study only one other deer – a doe – traveled farther with a 42-mile jaunt in the north-central part of the state.

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/12/15 22:01:33
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/16 01:06:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

So the hunters need to regulate the deer herd based on their personal opinions of the deer herd in their area. I see...

But who am I as a hunter to question the PGC biologist/experts. If they want a certain number of deer killed in a WMU to further their agenda(whatever it might be) then they should be the last word , yes? Didn't you scoff at the gents burnng doe tags for just that reason ?

I would like to see the numbers for Private/public land.

Burn em & turn em as long as the county gets it's extra 6 dolla cut ; as every other crook already lined thier pocket then it's all good + 99999999999999999999999999999999999
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/16 01:07:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RSB

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

One of the young bucks was collared in eastern Cameron County and dispersed, I think it was 43 miles (might have only been 34 miles I can’t remember which without looking it up) to where it lost its collar as an adult in the extreme western part of Elk County.

I don’t know what the longest movement has been for a doe.

R.S. Bodenhorn

How far did Gary Alt run from this mess ???? Should've put a tracker on him or better yet on his Swedish bank account from Allstate Insurance
post edited by Dream Catcher - 2011/12/16 01:09:31
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3105
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/16 15:30:34 (permalink)
I think Alt went all the way to Mendocino County, CA

http://skunkinthewoodpile.com/?p=1860
ShallowDrifter
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: WMU 2B 2011/12/16 15:49:06 (permalink)
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: