nubbie

Author
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/30 02:00:00 (permalink)

nubbie

Want to try it this year ...went once when I was younger but obvious I need a pole but how important are electronics? And Wat bait should I use, hooks,jigs,ect im trying to catch eyes and crappies or any thing else ....my buddy got a ground blind so im thinking that for a shanty lol and we got a heater.... seen one your guys videos I cant wait to go again but any advice would be awesome ..... hate sitting in side so borein

19 Replies Related Threads

dustydoo
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: nubbie 2011/11/30 21:19:16 (permalink)
    I would recomend start small and light, get comfortable with something before going after bigger fish. HAVE FUN ITS A BLAST
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: nubbie 2011/11/30 22:02:00 (permalink)
    Light rod, light line a bucket of minnies, and small jigs find the crowds when you first start and have a blast
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    RE: nubbie 2011/12/01 00:45:22 (permalink)
    I ant worryed to much bout haulin stuff out I got nice sleds for goose hunting Wat pound line? Size hooks would you suggest? And do you guys use sonar? Or an aqua vu? I thought that would be cool to watch em or they junk?
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    RE: nubbie 2011/12/01 09:03:55 (permalink)
    I'm sure they're nice to have but I fish w out one and do ok, like already stated you can usually find a decent spot watching what others do, or just pick a spot based on your knowledge of the lake. For panfish I would suggest some of the many tiny ice jigs available. I like marmooskas and Hexi flies myself. But there's lots of options out there. Just use the same size hooks you normally would otherwise. 6lb line or lighter
    NeFiShNeTiMe
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: nubbie 2011/12/02 07:46:20 (permalink)
    4 or 3# fluorocarbon line is what I use for perch on pi bay. And I use just about any jig depending on what they are biting on. I love my vexilar but also like to watch the aqua view. If you are fishing for perch a cam is better but out for crappie or eyes the vex is the way to go. Good luck and be safe!

""THERE’S NOTHING LIKE A SMALL MOUTH ON A STIFF ROD""
    Catchabigone
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: nubbie 2011/12/02 18:34:33 (permalink)
    Read the posts,then start here FishUSA's Tackle Shop.
    Everything you need to get started.
    http://www.fishusa.com/IceFishingSupplies_c.html

Websites about ice fishing.

http://www.iceteam.com/index.php/home/modern-ice-fishin-library
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/ice.htm

Look to the heavens and thank God everyday that hunting is such a grand part of our lives.
    Ted Nugent

buckipicker
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: nubbie 2011/12/03 04:43:22 (permalink)
    Safety wise go with someone. Safety in numbers. Take along the ice picks that hang around your neck in case you need to pull yourself out of the water.  Take a bucket to sit on, You could make yourself a pole by cutting the end off a scrap pole and gluing it into a section of wood broom handle or use the smallest rod you have. Take along some Vibees, a couple jigs and some maggots to tip the jigs. Don't get discouraged if you don't catch anything your first few times out. There is a learning curve. Make sure you talk to guys on the ice and don't be afraid to ask alot of questions. Guys will be willing to help you out. Half the fun is hanging out with the fellas on the ice.  As far as electronics, getting a flasher unit or camera is a good hit in the wallet.  Although it will definitely put more fish on the ice, take a look at what other people are using on the ice and like I said before, ask questions.  Guys will be glad to "brag" about their electronics.  My advice would be to hold off on buying the electronics until you have been on the ice a few times and ensure you have the nerves to be out on the ice.  Good luck this year.
    post edited by buckipicker - 2011/12/03 05:06:10
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: nubbie 2011/12/10 09:50:51 (permalink)
    Go with someone experienced your first couple times. Walking out on the ice isn't the best place to "wing" it. I'd also go a few times to make sure that you 100% enjoy it before you go out and spend money on electronics. That's what I did and now I have a 4 man shelter just so I can take others along.

Just a side note and maybe others can talk more about this topic....I've fished out of 2 types of shelters, ones with bottoms and ones where the bottom was you standing on the ice. My recommendation is to make sure the one you're fishing out of has a bottom. Keeps things more organized, your stuff doesn't freeze to the ice, FEET STAY A LOT WARMER, and just makes it an all around better experience.

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
    Jimmy D Moore

papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: nubbie 2011/12/10 11:03:20 (permalink)
    My recommendation is to make sure the one you're fishing out of has a bottom. Keeps things more organized, your stuff doesn't freeze to the ice, FEET STAY A LOT WARMER, and just makes it an all around better experience.

I use a flip over and have built skiis that are hinged to flip down. When they flip down the one that is inside the hut with me works perfectly for a foot rest so my feet are off the ice. I have fished out of huts with floors and would suggest if you go that route make sure its secured on windy days. I watched a guy slide across PI one day when it was really windy. He almost went out of the channel, pretty scary if you ask me. Thats one of the advantages of the flip over but wind can still be an issue.
    Denny Crane x2
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: nubbie 2011/12/10 12:11:22 (permalink)
    I started in 2005 with a bucket and froze my tail off on Arthur and Wilhelm.  That first tap you feel is like the first hit off the crack pipe.  You'll be addicted.  People give you strange looks when you describe going outside when it's -2 degrees and sitting on a glacier fishing when most people are inside.  I bought a one-man pak shak the next year.  The next year a three-man pak shak - don't buy one of those.  Next I bought a 4x4 truck (I told my wife it was so I could do landscaping on the side...), a two-man clam and a mr. buddy heater.  The next year I bought a showdown.  Like I said... that first hit will hook you.  There is no finer fishing than ice fishing.  I guess ice fisherman are to fishing what duck hunters are to hunting: a rare breed.  Guys on the Erie tribs give you dirty looks when you stand too close but guys on the ice welcome the camraderie.  There's no other fishing that is as much fun.  I go ice fishing and sit with my dad and uncle all day and we catch fish and have a great time.  It's the best.
    buckipicker
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: nubbie 2011/12/10 16:07:58 (permalink)
    I agree with having ice anchors.  I took a ride across Pymatuning last year up by Tuttle in my Frabill Refuge 2 man.  I was screaming like a little girl.  Scary when it happened but can look back and laugh now.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    RE: nubbie 2011/12/11 09:45:35 (permalink)
    I saw that happen to someone on mammoth lake last year. Bout the funniest thing I ever saw. I kinda wanted to try it.
    maxlikes2fish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: nubbie 2012/01/04 13:27:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Denny Crane x2

I started in 2005 with a bucket and froze my tail off on Arthur and Wilhelm.  That first tap you feel is like the first hit off the crack pipe.  You'll be addicted.  People give you strange looks when you describe going outside when it's -2 degrees and sitting on a glacier fishing when most people are inside.  I bought a one-man pak shak the next year.  The next year a three-man pak shak - don't buy one of those.  Next I bought a 4x4 truck (I told my wife it was so I could do landscaping on the side...), a two-man clam and a mr. buddy heater.  The next year I bought a showdown.  Like I said... that first hit will hook you.  There is no finer fishing than ice fishing.  I guess ice fisherman are to fishing what duck hunters are to hunting: a rare breed.  Guys on the Erie tribs give you dirty looks when you stand too close but guys on the ice welcome the camraderie.  There's no other fishing that is as much fun.  I go ice fishing and sit with my dad and uncle all day and we catch fish and have a great time.  It's the best.

Very well described. It gets more and more addicting every year. It really is like Christmas morning. When that first hole of the season is opened..... man. I can't wait anymore!!!

220, 221. Whatever it takes....
    dewey123
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: nubbie 2012/01/04 20:49:32 (permalink)
    when you decide you like to be out on the ice get a flasher. you will go from catching no fish or doing ok to catching fish like a pro. Well it does take practice but your catchs will go way up with a flasher. if there is no action the flasher will let you know and move on to a new spot. it also kinda lets you know if something is there and is interested. id get some tip ups and set them up just off the bottom with minows.
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: nubbie 2012/01/04 23:36:11 (permalink)
    find someone to take you out that knows about ice fishing. That way you can see if you like it. I have seen many people gung ho about going and then they hate it cause you sit there and fish in an 8 inch hole. I personally love it and look forward to it every year. Good luck to you and remember the most important thing about ice fishing. There is no such thing as safe ice.

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: nubbie 2012/01/05 10:11:42 (permalink)
    +1 on the no such thing as safe ice. I've seen 8" of good ice in one spot turn to unsafe ice less than 20 yard away.

Beware of high winds. I lost a couple hundred bucks worth of gear on a day that was too windy. My bucket started to slide and never stopped, blew right out the channel.

My only other tip is to move if your not catching anything. I don't use electronics I just keep moving until I find them. It can mean the difference between a 3 perch day and a 20 perch day.
    fishinvic
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: nubbie 2012/01/05 12:00:13 (permalink)
    +2 on the no safe ice, a buddy and I was out on misery bay last year on first ice had a good day went back to the same area the next day( no warm up or anything) buddy took a few turns of the auger and went through he said this didnt feel good went and took a look ice cracked, I looked at him and said were out of hear, went and found another place to fish. You can never tell from one day to the next, ALWAYS BE SAFE out there.

!!!!FISH ON!!!!
    maxlikes2fish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: nubbie 2012/01/05 15:27:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thunderpole

I ant worryed to much bout haulin stuff out I got nice sleds for goose hunting Wat pound line? Size hooks would you suggest? And do you guys use sonar? Or an aqua vu? I thought that would be cool to watch em or they junk?

On occasions there have been times where I drill a hole, drop the transducer and nothing. Walk 4-5 feet, sometimes 3 feet away drill and drop and have tons of fish on the screen. Structure is the key. Just cause your with the crowd doesn't mean there will be fish where you drill. I can't believe I fished for so long without a flasher. I'm not recommending any particular type though.... don't want to start that up anymore...
    post edited by maxlikes2fish - 2012/01/05 15:28:50

220, 221. Whatever it takes....
    anatikus
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: nubbie 2012/01/05 21:50:24 (permalink)
    dude... get good spikes for yer boots. ....and watch ice fishin vids on utube. everything else is trial and error because every lake holds its own secrets.

fish heads fish heads rolly polly fish heads
    Jump to: