Last minute licenses sales =

Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/25 16:53:53 (permalink)

Last minute licenses sales =

Very interesting day at work. We sold 57 hunting licenses today..

What really surprised me was the non-residents sales. Some people think Pa does not do very good with non-resident sales but I found after today I'd have to question those feelings..

Florida = 3 sales
New Mexico = 1 sale
California = 1 sale
New York = 3 sales
West Virginia = 1 sale
Connecticut = 1 sale

That's 10 of 57 that were out of town residents in just our little hardware store and the boss said wait unitl Sunday and see how many non-residents we sell that day

8 Replies Related Threads

Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: Last minute licenses sales = 2011/11/25 17:50:08 (permalink)
    did you ask if they were from here orginally and then moved away? i know a few people that are out of state but local ppl
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Last minute licenses sales = 2011/11/25 17:55:16 (permalink)
    Most will be family members who come home for Thanksgiving and stay for the first day. I know of several near me plus have 2 relatives doing the same thing. FACT= Pennsylvanias non-resident license sales are Down 22% since HR/AR. During the same time period Ohios non-resident license sales have doubled and the reason they give is their increased deer herd.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3105
    RE: Last minute licenses sales = 2011/11/25 19:37:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Most will be family members who come home for Thanksgiving and stay for the first day.

BINGO

Lets see how many ppl plop down in Jefferson County to hunt out of the blue
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Last minute licenses sales = 2011/11/25 21:47:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Very interesting day at work. We sold 57 hunting licenses today..

What really surprised me was the non-residents sales. Some people think Pa does not do very good with non-resident sales but I found after today I'd have to question those feelings..

Florida = 3 sales
    New Mexico = 1 sale
    California = 1 sale
    New York = 3 sales
    West Virginia = 1 sale
    Connecticut = 1 sale

That's 10 of 57 that were out of town residents in just our little hardware store and the boss said wait unitl Sunday and see how many non-residents we sell that day

I don’t know if you are open on Saturday and Sunday but they will both be big sales days for both non-resident and resident licenses. Wal-mart had a line of hunters waiting to buy their licenses today also.

Those of us that think about hunting all year simply don’t realize how many hunters don’t even think about buying their license until the weekend before deer season, many of them while on their way to the camp they will be hunting from.

I suspect many of those last minute buys are also the ones we are starting to hear about as part of the hunter churn, who don’t buy a license every year and maybe only buy one every few years.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Last minute licenses sales = 2011/11/25 22:21:28 (permalink)
    We are open both tomorrow (9-4)and Sunday (10-2)

Of the non- residents I sold today :

2 of the 3 Florida were 1st Pa hunters, they came with a buddy who hunted here before.

The 1 New Mexico, the 1 New York and the one Connecticut have hunted here in this area before

but as RSB said = they had not hunted here for a year or two but had bought their last license at the hardware store before, so they were still in the system...

I did not sell the others so do not know the stories behind those non-residents...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/25 22:22:31
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Last minute licenses sales = 2011/11/26 08:19:19 (permalink)
    I'am aware of North Carolina=3, Texas=1, Illinois=1, Washington D.C.-1, Montana=1,. All are family members home for Thanksgiving and a day or two hunting. Several took advantage of the extra turkey hunting. Several have been doing it for 20 years. It's been that way for decades and I was doing it in the early sixties when in the Marines. Those are licenses they will sell regardless of the deer situation as they have more to do with being with family and friends than deer numbers or success.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Last minute licenses sales = 2011/11/27 08:58:58 (permalink)
    Licenses sales for Saturday brought the total to 87 since Thursday and I'm expecting 5 guys from New York that come here every year some time today. We are open 10am to 2pm... omly state to get added yesterday was Virginia.. two licenses...

one senior lifetime combo, several mentored and several juniors who just finished a training class somewhere...the rest were adults including 2 ladies...

IT'S AMAZING how many guys do not know that 2F is CLOSED for antlerless hunting the first week... the WCOs may be having a time writing citations !!!!

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Last minute licenses sales = 2011/11/27 15:05:38 (permalink)
    Surprisingly we did not sell alot of licenses today. The weather was so nice we figured folks went to DuBois to shop and get their licenses at WalMart ???

two states added today.. New Jersey and North Carolina...

total for the three days after thanksgiving was 97 last minute licenses...

Counting Pa we sold licenses for 10 different states in the past 3 days
    Jump to: