LockedFree truck and guns for hunters !

Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/18 00:11:09 (permalink)

Free truck and guns for hunters !

We now have facebook and twitter and soon maybe the PGC will be giving away trucks and guns as to promote one into hunting. While some wco's are complaining of lack of equipment and firearms the PGC seems to have the money to give prizes away. Maybe danceing with the WCO's TV show might bring more into the sport as well.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission is considering something similar. It has no multi-year license in the works. But there has been talks within the agency about experimenting with giving away prizes - including firearms and even a truck - to people who routinely buy licenses, perhaps as soon as next year, said Joe Neville, director of the agency's bureau of information and education.

Neville told members of the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs that hunters who buy licenses for a period of years could be entered into a drawing, with winners picked at random from that select group.

"Now I just need to find a truck," he joked.

There's no laughing about the need for the commissions to find new revenues, though, officials with both agencies say.

17 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/18 08:20:14 (permalink)
    Thats insane.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/18 08:54:28 (permalink)
    Does anyone in the PGC really think that someone will go out and buy a hunting license just to be entered in a drawing for a truck or guns?

If not, what purpose would it serve?  Those that are already buying a license would do so anyway, so there are no additional revenues to cover the cost of the prizes.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/18 09:14:01 (permalink)
    I did not read every think Mr. Neville said at the convention ... but from the snippet .... I must agree ... a pretty DUMB idea if that is all there is to it... even though almost all organizations hold fund raises and give away prizes...
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/18 10:42:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

I did not read every think Mr. Neville said at the convention ... but from the snippet .... I must agree ... a pretty DUMB idea if that is all there is to it... even though almost all organizations hold fund raises and give away prizes...

The PGC already has fundraisers, it's called licenses sales, permit sales, timber sales, mineral sales, shales leases, etc.

And this wasn't a fundrasing idea, it was a tempt-people-into-hunting-with-a-raffle idea.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/18 14:39:24 (permalink)
    I received an E-mail from my sources at the PGC in Harrisburg about many things we are discussing here and on other sites, answering all the questiions I asked..

here is the part that deals with this subject...

Everything we plan to give away is being given to us for FREE, so what do we have to lose by trying?

I say nothing to lose then... so give it a try...
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/18 15:34:05 (permalink)
    If the folks at the state level had any clue, we would not be getting a license increase or paying taxes in PA for a long time just based on the Marcellus and Utica gas plays....

Are they trying to promote hunting or just buying licenses?
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/18 16:04:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bulldog1

If the folks at the state level had any clue, we would not be getting a license increase or paying taxes in PA for a long time just based on the Marcellus and Utica gas plays....

Are they trying to promote hunting or just buying licenses?

Kind of goes hand in hand, no? Selling more licenses, promoting hunting to "new" recruits or re-recruiting people who may have hunted before and gave it up for some reason?

If the "stuff" they are giving away is being donated, then I don't have a problem with it personally.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/18 17:39:29 (permalink)
    If they want to give away free trucks mabee give them to the WCO's.
    Then they might not be so grumpy..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/18 18:08:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

If they want to give away free trucks mabee give them to the WCO's.
    Then they might not be so grumpy..

Most of the WCO's do have nice rides.

SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/18 18:19:42 (permalink)
    If they want to give out incentives and free money, give it to local organizations and sport clubs to promote hunting in each community. Give the money or even a new truck to land owners who post their land, in exchange to hunt on their property. 
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/18 18:22:30 (permalink)

I received an E-mail from my sources at the PGC in Harrisburg about many things we are discussing here and on other sites, answering all the questiions I asked..

Everything we plan to give away is being given to us for FREE, so what do we have to lose by trying?

Do inside sources teach math too?
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/20 22:44:22 (permalink)
    Let them give away trucks, heck make it a weeks hunt for free on a preserve that actually have deer.Give the WCO's a fat retirement package and raise the cost of tags and licenses. The sport is dying and so is respect for the ones running it. On a positive note, one thing that is a plus is having the bear checks at the local fire halls . They did get that right , I think.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/21 07:28:46 (permalink)

That's cool that the stuff is free.  Of course the PGC labor needed to administer and run the raffle is free too.  Right?  Oh, that's right, they can just do that instead of what they were hired to do.  Then it's free.

So, in essense, the PGC is running a raffle that costs $20.70 per ticket -- but that ticket permits one to hunt in PA -- kind of buying a ticket to a Ruffed Grouse Society banquet -- the cost of the admission ticket gets you a meal and an entry into the door prize drawing.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/21 09:09:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

That's cool that the stuff is free.  Of course the PGC labor needed to administer and run the raffle is free too.  Right?  Oh, that's right, they can just do that instead of what they were hired to do.  Then it's free.

So, in essense, the PGC is running a raffle that costs $20.70 per ticket -- but that ticket permits one to hunt in PA -- kind of buying a ticket to a Ruffed Grouse Society banquet -- the cost of the admission ticket gets you a meal and an entry into the door prize drawing.

Dardy's, you picking on OA's nits? Be careful, he may get jealous!
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/21 09:27:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

Not really.  Just pointing out that nothing is free and how hairbrained the idea that giving away prizes is the best way to get people into or back into hunting seems to be.  The hunting itself should be enough to get people interested and there need not be a circus or giveaway as enticement if the huting experience can stand on its own merit.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/21 16:59:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

I received an E-mail from my sources at the PGC in Harrisburg about many things we are discussing here and on other sites, answering all the questions I asked..

I'm sensing a direct attack at myself Mr webmaster.Sorry eyes I can't reply to your comment.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Free truck and guns for hunters ! 2011/11/22 09:00:30 (permalink)
    Jump to: