pheasant hunting

Author
upland310
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/14 16:09:20 (permalink)

pheasant hunting

Big upland game hunter but htis seem to have produced the least amount of flushes that I've had in years, only had around 40, that's about half as normal. Plus not one grouse flush and I log the hours afield, Any one do any good this year or is a down year.

5 Replies Related Threads

SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: pheasant hunting 2011/11/14 18:41:38 (permalink)
    I want to hunt where you hunt. 40 flushes, wow. I live in 1A, your lucky to see one flush in a weak unless you hunt game lands. 
    upland310
    New Angler
    RE: pheasant hunting 2011/11/14 19:12:38 (permalink)
    Hunted 1a a lot this season it produced the most birds and the most work to get them. Went last Monday had 11 flushes in 3.5 hrs but went again on Friday and Saturday and had only got one bird. All my hunting has been done in the game lands 1a 2a an 2b. My be I got spoiled.... 
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    RE: pheasant hunting 2011/11/14 21:26:59 (permalink)
    We have put down 18 birds this year.. The 2 year old dog is doing well this year. Ed
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: pheasant hunting 2011/11/15 09:14:38 (permalink)
    This season has been slower than those in recent (10 years or so) memory.  We still did okay, but often hunted twice or three times as long, in cover we normally don't need to venture into, in order to get a limit of birds of each hunter in the party.  It did seem, however, that as the season progressed, we were finding more and more birds and were seeing less and less hunters.  There typically is a drop off in hunters once turkeys become legal, but that decrease seemd to be a little more dramatic this season -- perhaps because of lack of early success in finding birds.

In years past, it was not unusual to pop a five person limit in 1.5 to 2 hours.  In fact, with the exception of a few, a darn few, post deer season hunts, up until this year, each hunt resulted in a limit for each member of the hunting party, whether that was one or five.  In addition, checking my records, we had some 30- 40 point days over the last few seasons (missed shots, bird goes up in front of limited out hunter, walking out with open guns after limits, etc.).  The best day we had this season was 14 -- good thing there were only three of us because it took that many to get six ( I missed a few -- LOL - but in the cover we were in, I'm not surprised).  We also had five days this season when we were short of a limit for everyone.

I suppose the decrease in stocking cut down on the numbers, but hey, it was what it was.  With no late season stocking this year, I am done on public ground and will turn to preserve guiding for the balance of that season.  I know the dogs will appreciate the easier hunting, less thorns, less swamp, less hunting and more finding.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    upland310
    New Angler
    RE: pheasant hunting 2011/11/15 20:09:05 (permalink)
    Thats the one thing that I have really noticed this year, is the amount of cover that these birds were in with very little hunting pressure. Their would be days that I would never see another hunter in the woods or  cars in the parking lot at the game lands, and the birds would be in the woods and in the thickets not a one in the fields an my legs can prove it..lol... think it time for a new pair of brush pants...
    Jump to: