Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
fishinmike30
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/13 07:53:11 (permalink)

please help with this question

My son will be taking the hunter safty course next year he will be turning 12 august 6 2012 .....how screwed will he be for a doe lic. if the doe lic needs sent in ..in july will he still be able to get one or will he have to use mine for that season

41 Replies Related Threads

Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/13 08:02:01 (permalink)
    Which WMU are you planning to hunt?  First round of bonus tags will be accepted starting the Monday before his birthday.
    fishinmike30
    New Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/13 08:11:57 (permalink)
    we hunt 1b..im just kinda wondering i dont care if he has to use mine just not sure how this will work
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/13 08:26:52 (permalink)
    You can buy him his junior license before his 12th birthday on June 1st 2012 .. if he has had the hunter safety course... so you can send for his doe tag on the first round ... he just can not "use" his junior license until he is 12 in August...
    fishinmike30
    New Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/13 08:38:47 (permalink)
    Ok that sounds good thank you very much for your time
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/13 09:52:06 (permalink)
    doc is right. my birthday fell in augest and i was able to buy my junior licience in june and send on the first round
    fishinmike30
    New Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/13 10:47:36 (permalink)
    I asked a few people i know and they werent sure ....but that will deff work out great then ..if it didnt i would of had him use mine ....I have shot lots of deer what im looking for is that priceless moment and new feeling of my son bagging one ....thats most important thing to me...so i thank all of you for the help
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/13 20:09:26 (permalink)
    Don't think he could use yours, but as the others have said he can send for the first draw...
    smokey4sure
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/13 22:02:08 (permalink)
    I would see if he still qualifies for Mentor license due to his age in July 2012, if he does qualify you can simply offer him your antlerless tag, but only one per year.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/13 22:44:36 (permalink)
    From PA Game Commission web site

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=596046&mode=2#juniorresidenthunt

Junior Resident Hunting License: ($6.70)
    Issued to bona fide residents of Pennsylvania ages 12 through 16.

Eleven-year-olds may apply for a junior license if they will reach age 12 by June 30 of the current license year and have successfully completed the required Hunter-Trapper Education Course.

The actual hunting privileges granted to the Junior license holder may not be exercised until they reach age 12.

In addition to the junior applicant's signature, his/her parent or guardian must sign the license to validate it and the information provided before the junior license holder goes afield
    post edited by pghmarty - 2011/11/13 22:46:22

fishinmike30
    New Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/14 14:56:46 (permalink)
    Well i guess we will have to try for the mentor... but i still dont see why i couldnt tag a deer that he shot with me standing next to him ....wih my valid doe lic. which will happen regardless of what anyone says anyway ..deer will have a leagle tag on it whats the differene who shoots it as long as its tagged properly
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/14 17:56:01 (permalink)
    Okay let's get this straight..

he can get a juniior license .. plain and simple .... as posted the current license year will be 2012-2013 and he will turn 12 in that license year... next year the license year is == July 1,2012 until June 30,2013 ....

We just discussed this a week or so ago in another thread...

you can still get a mentor permit (to cover until he is 12) but it will not really do you any good because there are no "hunts" (seasons) available for him before he turns 12 in August...

If you do not belive me = call Harrisburg and they will tell you the same thing !!!!
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/14 17:57:38
    smokey4sure
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/15 12:33:52 (permalink)
    You might want to re-think that statement. I would suggest you follow the rules, especially with a young one. If you break and bend rules in his presence, what kind of example are you setting?

When I was a child my step father bragged to me that he once shot two turkey's at once. I was very proud and told everyone that would listen, even the WCO that was at my hunter safety course. He gave my stepdad the stink eye. I never realized what went down till I was older

Rest assured, you can legally offer him your Antlerless tag if he has a legal mentor license. It is not in the digest, as this rule was a post add. Good luck this season.
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/15 19:28:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fishinmike30

Well i guess we will have to try for the mentor... but i still dont see why i couldnt tag a deer that he shot with me standing next to him ....wih my valid doe lic. which will happen regardless of what anyone says anyway ..deer will have a leagle tag on it whats the differene who shoots it as long as its tagged properly

There is a huge different between who shoots and who tags a deer. Except for the LEGAL mentoring program regulations when someone shoots a deer and someone else tags it both parties are in violation and can be charged with an illegal deer. That ranges from a summary of second degree on up to perhaps a misdemeanor (with fines from $400 on up to perhaps into the thousands) depending on various factors.

Is that really the way you want to start your young first year hunter into the sport of hunting?

R.S. Bodenhorn
    fishinmike30
    New Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/15 21:15:09 (permalink)
    Why is there a huge difference in who shoots its ..im not understanding for some reason ...its ok for a mentor hunt but not a deer season hunt...im thinking this will confuse a kid if the kid didnt get a doe lic and the parent did ...well dad why cant i use your tag like we did last year...im sorry but some of these rules are just weird and its a wonder why some people break them....but aso i had no clue that you couldnt do that so maybe i was taught wrong...dont know but it is good to know this
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/15 23:24:30 (permalink)
    im not understanding for some reason ...its ok for a mentor hunt but not a deer season hunt

A mentored youth is one not old enough to get a junior license. In order to try to increase interest the PGC has allowed kids under 12 to take advantage of the mentored youth hunting opportunities.

A mentored youth hunting deer has been allowed to harvest a buck as long as it had a 3  inch antler. This is the first year they will be allowed to harvest an antlerless deer and use the adult's tag.. limit one deer per year... in any deer season ... the October antlerless junior senior hunt.. all of archery..rifle season ..muzzleoader seasons, and late seasons... any of these deer seasons

A junior hunter must have a junior license and an antlerless tag for the WMU they are hunting in..

.well dad why cant i use your tag like we did last year

For the same reason that down the road you will have to explain to your (then) junior hunter why he will no longer be able to shoot just any buck ... He has an adult license now and must abide by ARs...

It's the law and law biding folks abide by them....

I would hope that you would not agree with this and in a way it is using your same logic about who cares who shoots and/or tags a deer...  ??

My wife does not hunt, my kids do not hunt,,, but if I buy them all a license it would be okay for me to shoot all those deer and use their tags ???? REALLY. you think that would be okay and should not make a difference who shoots the deer????

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/15 23:31:41
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/15 23:43:37 (permalink)
    A deer tag is money for the PGC plain and simple. If it wasn't, places such as Wal-Mart who do not check for safety ed class or previous license would be ban from selling PA hunting licenses for the PGC. Even though it's against the law to sell to such, there is no way that the PGC is going to loose them as issuing agents and loose the money from illegal licenses. Instead they accept it as it is and hope no one gets killed.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/15 23:56:15 (permalink)
    A deer tag is money for the PGC plain and simple. If it wasn't, places such as Wal-Mart who do not check for safety ed class or previous license would be ban from selling PA hunting licenses for the PGC.

Even though it's against the law to sell to such

Show me the law saying I can not sell a licenses to someone who does not have hunter ed or prior license.. the law says a HUNTER must have these in order to buy a license... I ask the question .. he says yes ... and he signs the license.. it's not on me.... it's his responsiblity to have those.. not mine to check for proof....

There is NOTHING telling/requiring an issuing agent to check for hunter ed or prior license...
    the law states a HUNTER must have one of those to get a license in PA... it's on the applicant not seller ....

there is a question in the process we read.. do you have a hunter ed or prior license.. if they say yes ..we proceed....

When the Pa "hunter" signs the license == he just signed  a LEGAL document saying he has met the requirements to have a Pa hunting license.. and that everything is the truth..  i.e.   = Pa. resident, hunter ed or prior license...

if checked later and he does not have one of those he is going to get fined.. saying the guy at wal-mart never asked for proof is not going to get him off...

that is why we read that question to everyone and have them sign the license before they walk away from the counter...

It is not the issuing agents responsible to check for proof.. The law requires the hunter to have them before even applying...  .. the burden is on him not the seller of the license.........
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/16 00:03:07
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/16 00:11:55 (permalink)
    Show me the law saying I can not sell a licenses to someone who does not have hunter ed or prior license.. the law says a HUNTER must have these in order to buy a license... I ask the question .. he says yes ... and he signs the license.. it's not on me.... it's his responsibility to have those.. not mine to check for proof....

Ok since you spelled it that way fine. If the PGC was serious about not selling illegal licenses then the buyer would have to present either a HS card or a previous hunting license. They don't. The PGC may as well put the license inside a box of cereal.

BTW you stated before that you sold multiple licenses to one person before for his family. Were they signed in front of you by each of the license holder ? NOT !!
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/16 00:20:50 (permalink)
    I make all adults sign THEIR license in front of me ...

If they bought for a junior hunter or mentor permit.. who was not there ---  I made the guardian sign on his line before leaving...

and if it were for some other adult. I just made sure they understood the license had to be signed before being place in a holder and on a person's back or they would be a fined for not having it signed... ( making it a legal document)

You also just proved my point about ME not having to check for "proof"... when that adult got her license from say her husband after he got home from the hardware.. she signed it making her responsible for having the requirements needed to even have a PA license...not me asking for "proof"...

I did ask the adult buying the license did those folks have HE or prior license and they said yes.. so away we go.....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/16 00:26:02
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/16 00:24:28 (permalink)
    BUSTED !!!!

I just made sure they understood the license had to be signed before being place in a holder
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/11/16 00:26:09
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/16 00:27:00 (permalink)
    for what ====  I did NOTHING wrong ....  you're something else

BTW.. If a person tells me they or someone else had a prior Pa hunting license and I push YES... the computer will let me know if they did or did not have one .. if not  == it will not print out.... 

Plus I had 2 guys this year trying to buy a license when their rights to have one had been revoked...  some people  ...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/16 00:29:43
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/16 00:30:12 (permalink)
    did ask the adult buying the license did those folks have HE or prior license and they said yes.. so away we go.....

Just imagine if buying a firearm was this easy ? Sad selling a licence to someone who might of never held a weapon before and turn them loose into the woods with a live round in the chamber.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/16 00:33:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

for what ====  I did NOTHING wrong ....  you're something else

BTW.. If a person tells me they or someone else had a prior Pa hunting license and I push YES... the computer will let me know if they did or did not have one .. if not  == it will not print out.... 

Plus I had 2 guys this year trying to buy a license when their rights to have one had been revoked...  some people  ...

Does your computer tell youif they actually had a safety course taken? BTW yes I'm something ,and when I see a problem I spell it out.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/16 00:36:12 (permalink)
    Just imagine if buying a firearm was this easy

Actually buying a gun is easier than a hunting license .. I need NO training or safety courses AT ALL.....

There are NO requirements for me buying a gun and taking it into the woods at all in Pa ....

All I have to do is pass a background check and be 18 years old as far as I know... HOW HARD IS THAT ????

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/16 00:41:19 (permalink)
    I am not sure if it stops for that or not ... but again if they had a license the year before without a HE course it's their responsibilty and they lied the year before....

I do not think if it's the first time the computer knows if they had a HE course or not yet .. I have not experienced that one..

I have had MANY adult and juniors PROUDLY show me their hunter ed certificates without me even asking .. and I ALWAYS congratulate them on passing the course..
    fishinmike30
    New Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/16 07:23:01 (permalink)
    Well i know for sure walmart checks for HE card when my oldest daughter turned 12 and got hers they surely asked for the card and Social security number ....that was 6 years ago now i have no clue if they do havent had the chance to try will let ya know next year or ill go see Dr. Trout he seems to have have his S*** toghether... LOL
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/16 14:36:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Just imagine if buying a firearm was this easy

Actually buying a gun is easier than a hunting license .. I need NO training or safety courses AT ALL.....

There are NO requirements for me buying a gun and taking it into the woods at all in Pa ....

All I have to do is pass a background check and be 18 years old as far as I know... HOW HARD IS THAT ????

actually carrying a gun in the woods in PA is Prima Facia evidence of hunting, in which case you would need a hunting license and to get that you would have needed the HE card.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/16 17:43:23 (permalink)
    actually carrying a gun in the woods in PA is Prima Facia evidence of hunting, in which case you would need a hunting license and to get that you would have needed the HE card.

Please show me somewhere where it states ""carrying a gun in the woods in PA is Prima Facia evidence of hunting""

or where it states I have to have hunter ed and thus a hunting license to caryy a handgun with my permit to carry concealed while in the Pa woods...

again all I need is a clean record and be 18 years old to get a carry permit ....
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: please help with this question 2011/11/16 18:10:42 (permalink)
    Permitted handgun is a different story you have a "PERMIT"

Buy a shotgun and go walking around the woods and see what that will get you.

Always thought you had to show you had a license last year or a hunter safety card to get a new license. Sombodies slipping here.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: