Quick Tips

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/07 18:54:20 (permalink)

Quick Tips

Had a PM from a fellow board member just starting out in tying and he asked for some tips that may help him this winter as he learns along the way. Not everyone has the opportunity to sit down with someone who has been tying for a while and learn the things we tend to take for granted. These are just some of the things I have learned and by no means does that make them right. I'm sure there are others out there who have found better ways to do things at the bench. If anyone does have some ways of doing things that they have found has made things easier please add to this because there are many out there just starting out. I know the frustration I went through when I learned ....... and I'm still learning. So anyway these are some of the questions asked.....

Threading the bobbin....

You can start the thread in the bottom hole and suck on the other end to bring the thread up through... but sometimes if the thread is twisted - it won't come up. Or you can purchase a bobbin threader. These tools cost some $. Better yet - go to the drug store and buy a bag of floss threaders used for flossing your teeth. Keep one handy for whenever you need to re spool your bobbin. A bag of these will last a very long time and they are cheaper than the tool...

After you get the thread inserted into the opening - just pull on the other end and your bobbin is threaded.

Straightening twisted zonker strips.

Depending on how you buy the strip they may be twisted when you bring them out of the bag. To get the twist out of them - just grab the strip at each end and pull tight. Do this a few times and the twist will be removed. Once this is done - if you have the room - hang them from a shelf for future use. If not - put them in a long slender bag - if they have not come in one already. These bags can be bought at the dollar store.

Brushes

For brushing out the bodies of hares ear nymphs to make them look more buggy, brushing/smoothing out marabou, and for lots of other uses - for about $2.00 you can buy a pack of disposable dental brushes/picks that will last a long time. A small brush on one end and a pick on the other. These are kinda flexable though so they get a bit of getting used to. Pretty cheap alternative though.

Dubbing

When spinning dubbing between your fingers onto the thread....... before you start the "pinch and spin" between your fingers - if you think you need to put more on the thread ---- you don't. Less is better and you can always build it up.

Winding hackle

Prior to tying in the hackle, strip a bit more of the barbs off one side than the other. Start this side against the hook when you begin your winding. Less trapped hackle.
And when you go to tie it off - follow the hackle as your finishing your winding with your thread by bringing both up at the same time. Again - less trapped hackles in the front.

Again - these are some of the things I tend to take for granted and I hope it helps some out there just starting.

There are alot of resources available like "You Tube" and "Vimeo" where you can watch videos on many ties. Don't get frustrated and have fun. And do not throw any of your creations away - fish them. You'll be surprised just how good they are.

Above all be creative - take any pattern and make it your own.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

3 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Quick Tips 2011/11/07 21:34:52 (permalink)
    Good tips...

Don't put your thumb over the hole in the bead when you are pushing it up past the barb.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: Quick Tips 2011/11/08 08:28:36 (permalink)
    Don't crowd the eye of the hook. it's better to have some of the shank showing than to squeeze everything in around the eye.

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: Quick Tips 2011/11/08 08:43:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Good tips...

Don't put your thumb over the hole in the bead when you are pushing it up past the barb.

You only made that mistake 1 time right?
    Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

Jump to: