Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists?

Author
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/06 14:49:49 (permalink)

Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists?

What determines and qualifies a person for the Eco-nut or Environmentalist title some on this and other sites like to use when portraying someone or a group as being apposed to hunting and/or good wildlife management practices?

Why do some people assume those supporting a balanced eco-system and sound environmental practices are against hunting or good deer management practices? What makes some hunters think they have more knowledge about what is best for today or the future of hunting than the people they title as Eco-nuts or Environmentalists?  

R.S. Bodenhorn
post edited by RSB - 2011/11/06 14:50:34

13 Replies Related Threads

bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists? 2011/11/06 17:34:54 (permalink)
    Dont it just shrivel you gnads when someone goes and screws up a good story with facts
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists? 2011/11/06 18:55:41 (permalink)
    "Why do some people assume those supporting a balanced eco-system and sound environmental practices are against hunting or good deer management practices?"

Because that alone doesnt qualify one as being an "econut" I support those things, but I have a much more balanced common sense view of those things than the "extremists". My views arent "over the top" and exceeding the bounds of lunacy. I think most know exactly why they are labeled as such, because they go above and beyond... I think most are aware of this, and the only ones who would say otherwise are usually those that fit the latter description themselves. Do you think audubon thinks they are econuts? No. But Charlie Manson doesnt think hes crazy either. lol.

What makes your average every day democrat different from a crazy hard core liberal? What makes someone who is a little eccentic differ than a complete nutcase? I think most folks can readily tell the difference.

"What What makes some hunters think they have more knowledge about what is best for today or the future of hunting than the people they title as Eco-nuts or Environmentalists?"

Education on the topic, common sense, and the ability to understand what a "political agenda" is along with a strong desire not to be tread upon by obtuse thinking people with agendas.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/11/06 19:04:33
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists? 2011/11/06 18:57:08 (permalink)
    Dont it just shrivel you gnads when someone goes and screws up a good story with facts

Lol. Id say you are asking a man of vast experience...
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists? 2011/11/06 19:03:42 (permalink)
    because they go above and beyond.

I can't think of any organization or group that doesn't at times...

Do you think the NRA goes above and beyond at times ????

I certainly do,  but still believe  the organization is a good one   ...
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists? 2011/11/06 19:23:40 (permalink)
    Nope doc, cant think of any group that is as consistently "out there", or as big of a proven malignancy to the sport of hunting in this state as the environmental nuts currently.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists? 2011/11/06 19:59:36 (permalink)
    Being "out there" is more of a national thing or at least in some other states.. I really do not believe they have that much anti-hunting support here in Pa ... they have got VERY LITTLE done to harm the sport of hunting or fishing here in Pa...

What they have accomplished in other states does not really bother me... New Jersey and Caliornia are really "out there" too, so they get more done in those silly states... and those are the ones the media plays to the hilt..

It's like the NRA when they did that bull a few years ago about trying to get everyone worried/believing someone (govt)was going to come busting into your home and take your guns ... BULL

But they are still a needed organization but sometimes they shoot themselves in the foot like most groups do from time to time.

Nope - I'm not to worry about the "ecos" here in Pa... yes they are here.. but I do not see a REAl threat to hunting or fishing from them .... but to each his own
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists? 2011/11/06 22:21:18 (permalink)
    No, but they sure are a pain in the azz when you want to cut a tree down in the ANF.
    Bunch of "Save Bambi" Treehuggers....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists? 2011/11/06 23:06:51 (permalink)
    Because I am a practicing Environmental Biologist, with advanced degrees in ecosystem management, who is able to see through the PGC smoke screen.
    That qualifies me to speak on and decide who the Environmental wacko's are.

I would love to debate deer management with PGC biologists, however EVERY time I have asked questions regarding the scientific basis of the research, or the validity of results, I have been ignored and or given the run around.

My contention is that the PGC has changed the focus of thier mission statement and forgotten the hunters who pay the bills. Foresters have WAY too much influence on deer management now, considering they are not paying PGC salaries.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists? 2011/11/07 05:29:10 (permalink)
    1. An Eco-nut gives as much weight to a bat or rat as he does a deer or bear
    2. An Eco-nut will prevent the use of a river that supports hundreds of farmers because there is a 3" endangered fish that no one except them even knew existed.
    3. An Eco-nut will re-introduce wolves back into an area to kill off all the big game to ruin the hunting industry and ranchers in the name of Bio-diversity.
    4. An Eco-nut will re-introuce a Fisher back into an area to hold down the small game population in the name of Bio-diversity.
    5. An Eco-nut will support a one time killing off of large numbers of animals to get their numbers down to where the prey population can control their numbers going foward.
    5. An Eco-nut doesn't believe in multiple use but wants Bio-Diversity where every living plant and animal carries equal weight in the Eco-system regardless of the negative effect on mankind.
    6. A Eco-nut want's the country back to where it was before man, covered with old growth forests, with lions, wolves, and birds of prey keeping the prey population in check and man as a outide observer.
    7. A Eco-nut will lie, cheat and steal to get his way and call anyone who points these things out as a conspiricy theorist or worse.

There are many more examples but I have other things to do.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists? 2011/11/07 12:19:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

1. An Eco-nut gives as much weight to a bat or rat as he does a deer or bear
    2. An Eco-nut will prevent the use of a river that supports hundreds of farmers because there is a 3" endangered fish that no one except them even knew existed.
    3. An Eco-nut will re-introduce wolves back into an area to kill off all the big game to ruin the hunting industry and ranchers in the name of Bio-diversity.
    4. An Eco-nut will re-introuce a Fisher back into an area to hold down the small game population in the name of Bio-diversity.
    5. An Eco-nut will support a one time killing off of large numbers of animals to get their numbers down to where the prey population can control their numbers going foward.
    5. An Eco-nut doesn't believe in multiple use but wants Bio-Diversity where every living plant and animal carries equal weight in the Eco-system regardless of the negative effect on mankind.
    6. A Eco-nut want's the country back to where it was before man, covered with old growth forests, with lions, wolves, and birds of prey keeping the prey population in check and man as a outide observer.
    7. A Eco-nut will lie, cheat and steal to get his way and call anyone who points these things out as a conspiricy theorist or worse.

There are many more examples but I have other things to do.

Shouldn't you have been getting ready to head out the door to your treestand?

PS - heard there have been a couple nice ones taken on "the hill" and over on Jackson Run this year.

PSS - Although I am far from an eco-nut, I do support the PGC's stated mission of overseeing ALL native wildlife in PA, not just deer, turkeys and bear. Reintroducing previously over hunted species is not "wrong" in my eyes either. If that makes me an eco-nut, then so be it.

Fishers, yotes, turkey, deer, bear and small game can all co-exist in GOOD habitat.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists? 2011/11/07 13:48:21 (permalink)
       Nothing wrong with the' whole picture' from an eco point of view- We all want that.
        Problem is that way too many enviros are self described folks who have  little or no actual outdoor experience other that liking to take a walk on a paved hiking trail on rare occasion- but only on nice days. This, in their opinion makes them environmentalists cause they ' like' the outdoors.
        Those are the ones who truly and honestly believe that they may be shot by those bloodthirsty goons running around with the guns. They all vote too.
        I take exception to the premise that it may be happening in other states besides yours and that cause you are you it makes no difference- it does.
        In the next generation as your state becomes more and more Urban in its southern areas your way of life will no longer exist as it does- Ask those in NJ or California or any other state wherein the population has increased to huge Urban proportions with folks who know little or nothing of our lifestyle.- they didnt see it coming or believe it either.
    You havent experienced it till ya go to meetings where 'concerns' are raised bout kids and doggies being shot by 'hunters' and the crowd murmers in agreement complete with tales of finding deer with their heads cut off by 'trophy hunters -with the paved trail folks all telling each other bout all the wounded deer they have found that were simply left by hunters.
          They believe it and they continue to propogate the myths to each other and as I said they all do the most important thing - THEY VOTE - and when they outnumber you ----
          Not trying to sound like some kinda ohmigod nut case- its just the way it is and the facts of those 'other states' support that----If your doubt this stuff just look at the conditions you all grouse about here on the forum all the time and try and remember back to when you might have thought this condition impossible too.
          Wont be in our lifetime in most places fellas but the way of life we have enjoyed is on the way out- Its already happenin for you too-thats why ya have 'deer wars'.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/11/07 14:03:28
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists? 2011/11/07 15:47:52 (permalink)
    Some are just to short sighted to see past the end of their nose..

If it's happening in other states it will be here soon.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Eco-Nuts and/or Environmentalists? 2011/11/07 17:18:24 (permalink)
    I recall a Tred Barta show where he harvested a record Griz or Brown Bear on one of those huge Alaskan Islands. The lease came up on the place and the Outfitter lost it to an anti group with the highest bid - NO HUNTING.
     Clearly they are well funded and well organized.
      Congrats- they have Saved another wilderness-but thats OK -its someplace else.
    Jump to: