Erie in a Alumacraft 165 Navigator?

Author
joepa
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 56
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/31 10:54:52 (permalink)

Erie in a Alumacraft 165 Navigator?

I have an Alumacraft 165 Navigator classic which is perfect for fishing small lakes and for trips to canada. I really want to start fishing Erie for walleye and perch but everyone scares the hell out of me about the weather changes that can create monster waves quickly on erie. My question is: do many of you fish erie in a 16 foot boat or less? What is your limit in distance from shore? Do I have to buy a bigger boat?

8 Replies Related Threads

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    RE: Erie in a Alumacraft 165 Navigator? 2011/10/31 11:25:10 (permalink)
    Just watch the weather Very closely .maybe invest in one of those units that has the live weather on it. There's always pi bay. If you don't have much of a drive you'll be fine on blue bird days. But personally I have a far drive and an 18ft boat so my main lake visits are very few and far between.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Erie in a Alumacraft 165 Navigator? 2011/10/31 11:26:09 (permalink)
    I have a Mirrorcraft 16 ft with a 40hp &10hp kicker. Been fishing the lake since 1986 in it. No problems if you watch the weather real close.I have all the elrctronics on board. Been caught in 5-6 footers, just take your time and 3/4 the waves and go slow. The lake is beatiful and the fishing is great but you keep one thing in your head, respect mother nature and don't try to beat her because that lake can kill you. Don't mean to scare you but that's the truth.Go with someone with experience on the lake first if you can. Shortens the learning curve. Good fishing. PM me with any other questions.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Erie in a Alumacraft 165 Navigator? 2011/10/31 13:50:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FishinGuy

Just watch the weather Very closely. There's always pi bay. If you don't have much of a drive you'll be fine on blue bird days. But personally I have a far drive and an 18ft boat so my main lake visits are very few and far between.

This pretty much nailed it. I had a 16' boat and almost every trip I tried to make to Erie was canceled by weather. Not that the boat probably couldn't have handled it but it wasn't worth the 2 hour drive to chance it. I have a 23' boat now and have still made an occasional trek only to sit in the parking lot and eventually drive back home.

Bottom line is a bigger boat will increase your opportunities and provide more peace of mind while you're out there. I've been out there and heard guys talking on the radio about 6 footers when in reality they were 3-4's tops. Rough water is rough water, I don't care how big your boat is 6's aren't much fun to fish in. There is also a HUGE difference between rollers and caps...

freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    RE: Erie in a Alumacraft 165 Navigator? 2011/10/31 14:02:28 (permalink)
    You can do it, ive seen plenty of boats that size on the lake. Especially for perch and near shore walleye.
    eyedreamn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: Erie in a Alumacraft 165 Navigator? 2011/11/01 11:35:15 (permalink)
    Ya plus one. What those guys said!
    I definitely recommend you go a few times with someone that has the "experience" of open water lake erie fishing. Someone that knows how the weather moves across the lake and what specific wind detection and speed will do to the lake. There are lots of opportunities for great fishing just a few miles from shore. Especially on the east side of p.I. bay. The water gets deeper faster.
    I learned the hard way in my first 17'. I had never been so scared in my life. Knowing what I know now and having a new 20' starcraft great lakes boat, I feel a lot safer. I got no problem fishing out on the Canadian line. BUT! you gotta check the weather and be able to anticipate what the water will do with the given forecast. Don't forget that stroms can also pop up out of nowhere.

Good luck. Feel free to msg me anytime.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Erie in a Alumacraft 165 Navigator? 2011/11/04 06:29:18 (permalink)
    Watch the weather - use caution!!! I have a similar sized Lowe and have no problem on the Lake, but when it's rolling you have to go slow and watch your seamanship! We used to fish Lake Ontario on a 12-13' Alumacraft when I was a kid,(because that's all we had)and got along fine (but slow) and there were days we didn't venture out!

God does not take from your life, the time spent fishing!
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Erie in a Alumacraft 165 Navigator? 2011/11/04 07:47:27 (permalink)

Can be done safely...as everyone said..watch the weather. Wind 5-10 mph from the south...go. From the north be careful.

joepa
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: Erie in a Alumacraft 165 Navigator? 2011/11/04 10:29:40 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'll go out and buy the best life jackets I can buy and give it a shot. I kind of went wild when I bought my other boat and I'm adequately supplied for Erie fishing. Now to wait for spring!
    Jump to: