Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
behrendsteel
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/23 19:42:07 (permalink)

Question about centerpin fishing...

I don't mean this to start a big argument, as I'm sure it will probably turn out to be, nor am I bashing centerpin fishing or anyone that does it. But, I was wondering if anyone can chime in and help me out. Why is it that almost all centerpin guys (notice I said almost) long drift their rigs the entire length of a hole. I was fishing the legion hole this weekend, and there were two guys at the top of the hole that were entirely dominating the fishing because of how far down the creek they were letting their rigs drift (40+ yds). Is there something about how they rig up that makes it necessary for them to drift so far? I dont understand!

31 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 19:44:01 (permalink)
    It's the stinky bait, they want it as far away as possible...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 19:55:03 (permalink)
    If they come up and take over the hole while you're fishing it. Just begin to fish as if they aren't there .
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 20:04:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rmcmillen09

If they come up and take over the hole while you're fishing it. Just begin to fish as if they aren't there .

Great attitude thats what I do when I get up EARLY and get to a spot with no one else around then some water slapper comes up and low wholes me. Now don't get me wrong I'll shorten my drift or adjust where I'm standing so I can still fish the part of the run that I want but it works both ways. Respect given is respect earned. 2 way street.
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 20:25:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: behrendsteel

I don't mean this to start a big argument, as I'm sure it will probably turn out to be, nor am I bashing centerpin fishing or anyone that does it. But, I was wondering if anyone can chime in and help me out. Why is it that almost all centerpin guys (notice I said almost) long drift their rigs the entire length of a hole. I was fishing the legion hole this weekend, and there were two guys at the top of the hole that were entirely dominating the fishing because of how far down the creek they were letting their rigs drift (40+ yds). Is there something about how they rig up that makes it necessary for them to drift so far? I dont understand!

thghey are new pin posers that have no idea but think they know everything

cast over them and over and over

hint: if you can tangle them, it REALLY skrews them for a long time

hopethishelp
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 20:31:18 (permalink)
    no one else around then some water slapper comes up and low wholes me.

water slapper LMAO !!!

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 20:35:01 (permalink)
    feel the same way,always adjust my drift to accommodate others,always respectful and patient,if a guy comes along and takes over and its obvious I always fish as if they aren't there . 
    18andlife
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 20:40:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: steeLpunishment

hopethishelp

+1 ... couldn't be more true.
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 20:41:02 (permalink)
    Yeah either way weather the centerpinners where there first or not it's no reason for them to take the enitre hole espescially in an easy accessible locations. To the op not all pinners are a holes just some of them are.
    SteelieWheelie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 991
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 20:47:04 (permalink)

Great attitude thats what I do when I get up EARLY and get to a spot with no one else around then some water slapper comes up and low wholes me. Now don't get me wrong I'll shorten my drift or adjust where I'm standing so I can still fish the part of the run that I want but it works both ways. Respect given is respect earned. 2 way street.

Well said Scott. Had that happen a few times. I like the guys who see center pin fishermen walking down the creek and feel the need to move 20 feet from where they were standing just so the center pinners can't get in and fish the same 60 feet of water they have to themselves. Explain that one to me please....

Early to bed
    Early to rise
    Fish like hell
    And make up lies!
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 21:37:20 (permalink)

Why is it that almost all centerpin guys (notice I said almost) long drift their rigs the entire length of a hole. I was fishing the legion hole this weekend, and there were two guys at the top of the hole that were entirely dominating the fishing because of how far down the creek they were letting their rigs drift (40+ yds). Is there something about how they rig up that makes it necessary for them to drift so far? I dont understand!

Uhhhhmmm......Because that is the whole point behind center pinning? To get long drifts!

Agree with others as well with the two way street. Was at 20 mile Saturday and was crushing fish drift after drift until two water slappers came down 10 feet below me right where i was hooking all my fish. I said to myself, well thats just great. Continued to drift down to right in front of them and continued to set the hook. Once they got tired of pulling there lines every few minutes because i was fighting a fish they moved on. I dont mind sharing pr being respectful but i ask the same.

rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 21:43:20 (permalink)
    Agree totally. So there!
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 21:43:48 (permalink)
    Why is it that almost all centerpin guys (notice I said almost) long drift their rigs the entire length of a hole.

cause they can.
    It's the shining virtue of the the pin

if they get stOOpit and can't play nice with others when in a popular crowed sand box spot, I like to play the dumb clueless rookie and flail away like no one is around   .
    if I foul their line, I politely say,

"oops, sorry neighbor, my bad"

that's not for pinners exclusively, that for any knucklehead that can't play nice with others 

..L.T.A.
    joedv1218
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 22:21:10 (permalink)
    Can't we all just play nice together?

Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, No one can see the Kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~
    mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 883
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 22:25:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BIGSLICK

Why is it that almost all centerpin guys (notice I said almost) long drift their rigs the entire length of a hole. I was fishing the legion hole this weekend, and there were two guys at the top of the hole that were entirely dominating the fishing because of how far down the creek they were letting their rigs drift (40+ yds). Is there something about how they rig up that makes it necessary for them to drift so far? I dont understand!

Uhhhhmmm......Because that is the whole point behind center pinning? To get long drifts!

Agree with others as well with the two way street. Was at 20 mile Saturday and was crushing fish drift after drift until two water slappers came down 10 feet below me right where i was hooking all my fish. I said to myself, well thats just great. Continued to drift down to right in front of them and continued to set the hook. Once they got tired of pulling there lines every few minutes because i was fighting a fish they moved on. I dont mind sharing pr being respectful but i ask the same.

Pinners and fly guys can fish productively side by side IF both parties know HOW TO FISH. We proved that yesterday. You standing in the middle of the falls letting her float to Narnia was funny though...

MO

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/23 22:50:00 (permalink)
    It's like bowling...everybody's gotta practice lane courtesy.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/24 02:19:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BIGSLICK

Using a centerpin on 20 mile on a Saturday? And you don't mind sharing, but 10 feet is too close? And you're from Girard? Ever hear of Elk Creek?
    kylerloveshotdogs
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/24 04:47:21 (permalink)

cause they don't know how to use one correctly, just like Barry (swinger) doesn't realize he's small potatoes out in ohio swinging his spey rods

MMM hotdogs in my belly make me happy guy. My wife says no no kyler, you stop eating you getting bigger you will need new waders
    kylerloveshotdogs
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/24 04:49:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: steeLpunishment

hopethishelp

at least you left the a out of the hamburger helpa

... I would much rather re-rig a pin than a tangled leader on the fly.  I just ask dru for a barrel swivel and loomis and for a p-dub.

MMM hotdogs in my belly make me happy guy. My wife says no no kyler, you stop eating you getting bigger you will need new waders
    CroatianSensation
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/24 08:31:07 (permalink)
    I just thank the good Lord above that he gave us OTHER fish to fish for besides steelhead...
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/24 10:09:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

Using a centerpin on 20 mile on a Saturday? And you don't mind sharing, but 10 feet is too close? And you're from Girard? Ever hear of Elk Creek?

Call BS all you want Hoss! Elk was High n Muddy...

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/24 10:16:18 (permalink)
    +10
    ORIGINAL: CroatianSensation

I just thank the good Lord above that he gave us OTHER fish to fish for besides steelhead...

FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/24 12:07:31 (permalink)
    So on a weekend, someone should get to fish 30 feet of prime creek, catching fish after fish, while making guys who might have driven 300 to 500 miles to fish one day move on? How many fish does one have to catch to have a good day? Personally I would have caught a couple, moved on or sat and watched. But my initials aren't BS.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/24 12:14:12 (permalink)
    It is just the way that they have to fish, some guys are better at it than others, as goes for spin or fly fishing.  It's funny, when you get around a group of guys that are cool about fishing around people, you don't have any issues.  I met some canookie pinners in the chutes a few years ago who I fished directly in between with a fly rod, we didn't tangle one time and probably caught 10 total fish in 2 hours.  We each took turns drifting the back eddy that forms when the water is up, the highest guy would cast, followed by the next lowest, etc....not that hard.

I also fished locally in Indiana flanked by pinners with a fly rod in the middle, again, no issues.  When people know how to use their equipment, whatever it is, you don't have issues.   Some dudes adapt float setups to low clear water and do good with it, it is almost in essence no different than a float rig on a spin rod, much the same concept.  Also, I have seen (and done myself) guys do well on a fly rod in low clear water, but slapping the water with a fly line is an issue trying to fish a run with smooth water....I won't tell anyone that they are wrong, but that is just my opinion and why I have worked the spin/float setup back into my fishing in Erie.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/24 13:45:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

So on a weekend, someone should get to fish 30 feet of prime creek, catching fish after fish, while making guys who might have driven 300 to 500 miles to fish one day move on? How many fish does one have to catch to have a good day? Personally I would have caught a couple, moved on or sat and watched. But my initials aren't BS.

Wow..Did some one go pee pee in your cheerios???

I am not sure why you are putting words in my mouth or making accusations that are not true..??

As MO said...Didn't have an issue....If you know what you are doing....We watched two fly guys across from us (Must have been friends??) tangle themselves atleast 5 times...Kind of comical...

I never once tangled anyone or even came close. I found stretches where there was no one fishing and do what I like to do best...Take advantage of a long drift..Not sure why you are so upset with that? I don't mind one bit that someone fishes next to me, I welcome it, all I ask for is respect.

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/24 15:02:14 (permalink)
    pinners suk guy. thats y. simple.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/24 15:39:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: swinger

pinners suk guy. thats y. simple.

Well said swinger I never liked pinners always preferred green leafs myself
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/24 15:40:41 (permalink)
    ^ + infinity
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2984
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/24 15:54:58 (permalink)
    smoke that in your pipe...
    Flying Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 240
    RE: Question about centerpin fishing... 2011/10/24 16:23:29 (permalink)
    Wow!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: