All Around Fishing Gear

Author
bigcountryhuntr
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/22 13:36:43 (permalink)

All Around Fishing Gear

I don't know what it is in my head that wants to stay loyal to to certain brands for fishing combo's. But I think it is time to change my brand of equipment just for the sake of availability. I just want a good all around brand for both fly fishing and spin fishing. I now use Pflueger and Penn equipment but is getting harder to find pflueger. I am thinking about St. Croix but am not sure if the cost outways the silliness in my head. I like using nicer equipment so spending 100+ on a new reel doesn't bother me nor does spending 150+ on new fly rods. I'd just like some opinions or examples on what others use as their primary goto equipment. Of course I still use the 30 dollar wally world crap for spur of moment cat fishing and stuff like that. And just as a side not I stick to trilene line. I don't know why or what is wrong with my head but it works and I stick with it. Any and all suggestions for any type of equipment will be helpful. And no, please don't tell me uglystik rods are the way to go.

9 Replies Related Threads

REEL FORCE
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: All Around Fishing Gear 2011/10/23 14:52:26 (permalink)
    Check out the Echo line ... I'm very pleased with mine.

http://www.rajeffsports.com/echo_about.php

You can also "Youtube" some of his vids.
    vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: All Around Fishing Gear 2011/10/23 21:26:41 (permalink)
    I use a variety of gear from Winston Thomas & Thomas to ugly stick if I had to choose one brand to go with I would choose G loomis
    You have to remember when buying Loomis or St Croix you are also paying for the warranty you break a rod $50 will get you a replacement no questions asked

DON"T DRINK THE WATER FISH HAVE SEX IN IT
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: All Around Fishing Gear 2011/10/24 07:09:28 (permalink)
    Loomis recently raised their fee to $100.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: All Around Fishing Gear 2011/10/24 11:04:39 (permalink)
    Why just 1 brand ? I use many different brands, I like Shimano reels, but have other brands. I like ugly stick rods, best quality for the price, but have others as well. .
    Every manaufactuer has cheaper as well as top end products. I find the best I can afford at the time and go with that. But thats just my $.02 on the matter.
    Plus I've found that most combo packages have cheaper reels, there are some in catalogs that are better, but your average at most sport stores and WallWorld type stores are junk.
    bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: All Around Fishing Gear 2011/10/24 17:01:55 (permalink)
    Echo's are nice and not too expensive. sold them in our tackle shop. Spine of rod not always lined up properly with guides but with my flyrod ability the difference had no effect on my fishing.
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: All Around Fishing Gear 2011/10/24 21:52:18 (permalink)
    I've became accustom to using shimano and okuma rods and US Reels and pflueger you can't beat the quality your buying for the money. I also am a strong supporter of Seaguar lines and Acme lures
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: All Around Fishing Gear 2011/10/28 22:29:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bigcountryhuntr

I don't know what it is in my head that wants to stay loyal to to certain brands for fishing combo's. But I think it is time to change my brand of equipment just for the sake of availability. I just want a good all around brand for both fly fishing and spin fishing. I now use Pflueger and Penn equipment but is getting harder to find pflueger. I am thinking about St. Croix but am not sure if the cost outways the silliness in my head. I like using nicer equipment so spending 100+ on a new reel doesn't bother me nor does spending 150+ on new fly rods. I'd just like some opinions or examples on what others use as their primary goto equipment. Of course I still use the 30 dollar wally world crap for spur of moment cat fishing and stuff like that. And just as a side not I stick to trilene line. I don't know why or what is wrong with my head but it works and I stick with it. Any and all suggestions for any type of equipment will be helpful. And no, please don't tell me uglystik rods are the way to go.

Check out a little company called Fly Logic for fly rods and reels. In Idaho. All equipment made in the USA, all with lifetime warranties. Most of there dealers sell on Ebay at discounts. They even have a 14 day trial period, if you buy off their website(at retail).
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: All Around Fishing Gear 2011/11/01 12:56:28 (permalink)
    Also Tica rods if you can find them are great! I have 3 all carbon lite run for about 50 bucks can't beat it strong and light
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: All Around Fishing Gear 2011/11/04 22:16:35 (permalink)
    Diawa reels all the way for me the craftsmenship and dependability is what I love...  As for Rods, I have everything from Whoopin Stick to Gloomis GL3 and i'd have to say I love my G-Loomis... I snapped a St. Croix Triumph in the Conemaugh 2 months after the 5 year warranty ended... (Tough luck huh?)  But, out of all my rod combos the Triumph had a Diawa Fuego 3000 on it and that reel is still going strong and the rod probably would be too if it wasn't for some car or something at the bottom of the Conemaugh River in Tunnelton... LOL  If you want to spend the money i'd say go for top end St. Croix and G-Loomis, also you could go JDM if you go mostly for bass... Brands like Evergreen, Megabass and even JDM Gamakatsu rods are really good.

I don't know a ton about fly gear so I can't imput there... But I have one of those Cabela's King Kat rods with a Salt Striker Bait-runner reel and I probably won't go back to a scrap combo for catfish/carp ever again...
    Jump to: