Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/12 02:13:35 (permalink)

Road Kill and permits.

OK lots of deer are going to get hit by vehicles this season. Many seem to lay and suffer while some run off into yards and such and die. There are also a number of deer killed on the highways that remain on the roadway. Who should be called when:

#1 A deer is on the roadway but still alive?
#2 A deer is on a roadway dead ?
#3 A deer is on private property down but alive?
#4 A deer is dead on private property?

Can a person only take road kill if it is on the roadway or public property? I assume the private property owner would have to grant permission for one to remove the animal off their property. Would the L/O be entitled to the roadkill first ?

What steps should a person take to before taking road kill ? What part does Penn DOT, local or state police and the WCO or DWCO in the removal of dead or wounded deer ? Does it ever become legal for a person/hunter rather licensed or not to kill a deer after legal shooting hours if it has been hit by a vehicle?

58 Replies Related Threads

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/12 02:26:20 (permalink)
    Penn Dot is supposed to pick them up now, but doesn't.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/12 02:35:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

Penn Dot is supposed to pick them up now, but doesn't.

I believe if they are ONLY on the roadway. I believe also that the PGC contracted the job of picking up dead deer other than roadways but not sure if they still contract or not.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/12 03:04:58 (permalink)

post edited by pghmarty - 2011/10/12 03:06:24

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/12 08:39:26 (permalink)
    The State Farm safety patrol guy does a pretty good job of keeping the turnpike clean b/w the Irwin and Butler exits (portion I travel regularly). There were 3 dead bucks Westbound on Monday afternoon that weren't there Friday AM for sure and I think they were cleaned up by that evening. One buck had only spikes but they were broken so it could have been a 1.5 yr old small racked buck, one was at least a 2.5, maybe older decent 8 point but the skull plate cracked and one antler was kind of folded over and the other looked to be just a plain old spike but it was really hard to tell. It was right before the new bridge at Harmarville and it was mainly a stain with a skull plate laying next to the median....truck took its toll on that one!

Call the PGC to answer all your questions.

http://www.statefarm.com/aboutus/_pressreleases/2011/october/3/us-deer-collisions-fall.asp

From the article,
    "There were 23,000 fewer deer-vehicle altercations in Michigan alone. Michigan is second on the list of states with the highest total number of these collisions (78,304), well behind Pennsylvania (101,299)."

To me, that is an amazing number. I would think this data has to include all insurers but if not, whoa momma. Thats a lot of deer hit by cars every year. I wonder if this includes estimates of deer collisons not reported or ones that were reported but damage was too small to file a claim? Article doesn't go into specifics.

Good news is, collisons are decreasing across the country but cost to repair is going up...

rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/12 10:42:29 (permalink)
    maybe call the state police or local law enforcement probably get better results. you could be charged with shooting after hours,taking game out of season, (poaching) ect. a whole veritable handbag of charges which I,m sure would be the case. had a conversation with local game commission about a deer with broken legs laying 50 feet off the road still very much alive and in a great deal of mysery, was told they didnt come out and put them down anymore, I asked if I could because it would suffer for possibly days was told I could not put the animal down or I could be charged with some violations. glad I talked to them probably would have ended up with some unwanted costs.     
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/12 18:06:55 (permalink)
    I asked if I could because it would suffer for possibly days was told I could not put the animal down or I could be charged with some violations. glad I talked to them probably would have ended up with some unwanted costs.

And people wonder why groups such as PETA are fighting our sport.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/12 21:59:29 (permalink)
    seemed very cold to just be ok with an animal suffering like that. makes you wonder about the pgc , more interested in slapping penalties than doing the right thing like putting that animal down.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/13 00:03:18 (permalink)
    RSB since you read this post, would like to answer the questions asked (post #1) and explain how to go about getting a permit number to posses road kill deer ?
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/10/13 00:04:37
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/13 02:42:18 (permalink)
    OA,

If you would be capable of reading a response by RSB. Then you are surely capable of reading the digest.

Roadkilled Deer/Possessing Wildlife: It is unlawful at any time to possess
    live wildlife, except foxes for which a permit has been issued, or
    animals, or parts of animals, killed on highways. Pennsylvania residents
    may possess deer or turkeys killed by a motor vehicle for personal consumption
    only if they secure a permit number from the Game Commission
    within 24 hours after taking the deer or turkey; call the appropriate
    region office.
    It is not legal to kill “put out of its misery” any injured
    wildlife; again, call the region office.
    It is unlawful to give the whole or
    edible part of a deer killed on a highway to another person. It is not lawful
    to keep, for example, antlers from roadkilled deer or the beard or spurs of a
    roadkilled turkey. Holders of a valid furtakers license may possess a furbearer
    killed on a highway, except for bobcats, fishers or river otters. Persons
    taking possession of any furbearer killed on a highway during the
    closed season for taking that furbearer shall within 24 hours contact any
    Game Commission region office to make notification of said possession

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/13 03:32:09 (permalink)

If you would be capable of reading a response by RSB. Then you are surely capable of reading the digest

SPOON .. you are too much !!!!!

LMAO ....

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/10/13 03:33:26
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/13 11:27:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

OA,

If you would be capable of reading a response by RSB. Then you are surely capable of reading the digest.

region office.

But what fun would it be picking nits out of the digest?
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/13 13:09:34 (permalink)
    Who should be called when:

#1 A deer is on the roadway but still alive?
    Local Law Enforcement

#2 A deer is on a roadway dead ?
    PGC, unless the animal is obstructing traffic, then local law enforcement.

#3 A deer is on private property down but alive?
    Either/Or...start with local law enforcement and let them decide. 99.9% of the time the local LEO will dispatch the animal, then eitehr call the PGC or give you their info.

#4 A deer is dead on private property?
    PGC

Can a person only take road kill if it is on the roadway or public property? I assume the private property owner would have to grant permission for one to remove the animal off their property. Would the L/O be entitled to the roadkill first?

They can, with a permit from the PGC. L/O would have right of first refusal. Had that one happen to me before.

What steps should a person take to before taking road kill? What part does Penn DOT, local or state police and the WCO or DWCO in the removal of dead or wounded deer ? Does it ever become legal for a person/hunter rather licensed or not to kill a deer after legal shooting hours if it has been hit by a vehicle?

Contact PGC and notify them that a deer has been killed by a vehicle and that you would like to claim it. Taking the path of least resistance, if the WCO/DWCO is not readily in your area, they'll give you the nod, take your info, and mail the permit to you so you can take the animal and process it. If it is a buck, they will likely collect the antlers from you (it was that way a decade ago, anyways). PennDOT/PGC continue an ongoing struggle as to who does what. Last I'd heard from my BIL, if it's a state road, PennDOT is responsible. Local roads, PGC gets called. Local LEOs just move 'em out of the way.

Despite your best of intentions, it is never legal for any person other than properly authorized law enforcement officers to dispatch a wounded deer. Wish it wasn't always the case, but I can see the simple logic behind it.

EDIT: Just re-read the regulation. Apparently, I was wrong. You CAN take a dead deer immediately, but you MUST contact the PGC within 24 hours to get your road kill permit. Sorry for the inaccurate info.
    post edited by mohawksyd - 2011/10/13 18:15:14

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/13 13:39:07 (permalink)
    "Despite your best of intentions, it is never legal for any person other than properly authorized law enforcement officers to dispatch a wounded deer. Wish it wasn't always the case, but I can see the simple logic behind it."

That being said, how many would do just that, especially if it was going to be hours or days until a LEO or WCO could get away to do it?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/13 14:10:36 (permalink)
    I've been in enough encounters where my well-meaning heart has cost me some serious cheddar. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. It happens frequently, I'm sure, but at the end of the day, the law is the law and there is no room for interpretation of this one. It is illegal. The only other choice I would have (and it wouldn't be legally proper) would be to ask the WCO/LEO for permission to dispatch the animal myself. If they say yes, great. Otherwise, it would really bother me, but I'd have to walk away...especially if it meant using a firearm. You open up a massive can of worms if you pull a trigger somewhere, someway you're not supposed to.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/13 17:00:28 (permalink)
    Thanks mohawksyd. A lot of times the only L/E available is State police. It can be a 45 min or more drive for them. If the animal is dead it's OK to take it then? Can you begin to process it yourself before the permit is issued ? Is the PGC regional office available 24 hrs to get the necessary permit ?
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/13 17:06:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

OA,

region office.

What about processing it it before the permit is issued. Cutting off the damaged areas for example ? Did I miss that part in the digest Spooner ?
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/13 18:32:56 (permalink)
    When you call the PGC to tell them you have a road kill and to get your permit they will tell you the procedure to use before getting the permit and answer your questions then...

I have done it a couple times over the years... and someone is usually at my house within an hour or two to fill out the permit...

now mine always go to a processor after I field dress the deer so after giving me a permit they ( WCO )go there to get antlers and hide...
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/13 18:44:30 (permalink)
    I want to know is it legal to gut ,remove the animal from were it was hit and remove the damaged meat before a authorization number is issued? Is the PGC available 24/7 by phone to issue a permit? If not, would it be worth the effort to go back after it after it lay for a period of time in blood with blood tainted meat until the permit # was issued?
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/14 07:52:24 (permalink)
    Penn Dot only picks up BUCKS. LOL my buddies got a basement full of road kill racks.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/14 16:24:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Big Tuna

Penn Dot only picks up BUCKS. LOL my buddies got a basement full of road kill racks.
    Good for them ! The PGC claims the deer are theirs until one goes through a windshield or destroys one's property. They should keep the racks being that they work for the commonwealth.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/14 17:12:11 (permalink)
    I stopped for a doe that was hit and it's back legs were broke. She was up on her front legs crying in pain. I called the PGC number and ask if i could put her down with a headshot and was told NO WAY. He said to hit her in the head with a log!!!!!! This is true so help me.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/14 17:59:10 (permalink)
    carry a framing hammer under your vehicle seat very quick and effective
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/14 18:06:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Litl Dude

I stopped for a doe that was hit and it's back legs were broke. She was up on her front legs crying in pain. I called the PGC number and ask if i could put her down with a headshot and was told NO WAY. He said to hit her in the head with a log!!!!!! This is true so help me.

WOW !!! How inhumane !
    Triple B
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/14 20:11:39 (permalink)
    Shot a wounded deer along the road several times before and will do it again. I'm trusted with a permit to carry a concealed weapon but not able to use good judgement to dispatch a wounded animal? Haven't gotten a permit for the last few picked off the road either. I'm doing either PennDot or the PGC a favor and have to go to extra effort on my part for my good deed? I guess if it's necessary to take a deer to a processor you don't have a choice but there's another good reason to learn how to cut 'em up yourself. Save a bunch of $ and get the best tasting venison you ever had. Good luck to all this season and be safe.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/14 21:10:16 (permalink)
    triple B ..

I guess if it's necessary to take a deer to a processor you don't have a choice but there's another good reason to learn how to cut 'em up yourself

I think you may have mis-understood what I was writing..

It is NOT necessary to take a road-kill to a processor....

I was speaking of my personal experiences with road-kills.. I have never processed my own deer.
    I choose to let the local butcher do all my deer .... that's what he is in business for...
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2133
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/15 08:15:52 (permalink)
    Hey Trout, processing deer is stupid simple and after someone shows you how to do it, you'll wonder why in the heck you ever took yer animal to the butcher. My hamburg comes out way better than any processing plant. bought the grinder at harbor freight for 60 bucks.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/16 11:09:44 (permalink)
    Injured Deer:

If you get caught dispatching a live deer out of season without proper license you are in big trouble.
    Matter of fact, you can't shoot a bambi that is laying on/next to a public roadway even if you had a license during deer hunting season (25 yard rule).

Dead Deer:
    The regs state that you must get a permit within 24 hours. If you take it to a processor before you receive the permit it is highly doubtful that the butcher will accept it without a tag attached.

Almost every roadkill I came across already had some bloating. No way would I consume that meat.

I have picked up a few and redeposited them in Penn's Woods for use as a coyote bait pile. No phone calls were made because "technically" it is illegal to do so - since I did not personally consume the deer.

The way I look at it - I got the carcaus off the road before it turned into a pile of maggots that Penndot trucks would have simply run over - or painted yellow lines over it.

Some regs are better left ignored.

Your mileage may vary.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/16 11:59:55 (permalink)
    you can't shoot a bambi that is laying on/next to a public roadway even if you had a license during deer hunting season (25 yard rule).

Why is it Sooooo many folks STILL DO NOT understand the road-hunting and the "25 yard rule" verus hunting beside a road rules ?????

How many times has it been discussed here ??????
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/10/16 12:01:07
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Road Kill and permits. 2011/10/16 17:41:51 (permalink)
    25 Yard Rule:

try reading the 2011-2012 PGC Hunting Digest that you get with your license.

page 16 - lower left section.

Here is cliff notes:

You cannot legally discharge a hunting firearm within 25 yards of a public roadway.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: