His Vice

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/29 20:09:53 (permalink)

His Vice

I never knew him, never met the man. About six months ago though my wife told me that a lady where she works asked her if I would have the time to sit down with her husband and teach him how to tie flies. I remember my wife asking me if I had the time to spend with him but at that point, my life was busy with the things that really do not matter in the long run. I just got caught up with them - making them seem important when they really were not. And my response was - when I get the time, I'll be sure and give him a call. I never did.

Two nights ago, my wife brought home a fly tying kit that his wife told her she thought I may like. He had bought this from Cabelas about a year ago and was something he always wanted to try but never got the chance. There is not much to it - one of those kits that have all the necessary tools and a vice. And it was never used. Probably opened when the depression got too much for him and he tried to find a way out. But he ended up closing the latch on the box in hopes that perhaps someday it will get used.

His life passed two weeks ago, leaving behind a wife - no children. Apparently he struggled with many demons. This small kit that his wife gave to me has alot of value to me now and I will keep it within sight of where I tie. I know for me - tying is a way for me to escape - a way to relax, and a way to release. No matter what is going on in my life, I know that there is a place where I can go to forget...... and also remember. Perhaps if I would have not been so wrapped up in things that truly are not important in the grand scheme of life.... and I would have spent some time with him... this would not have occurred.

We all just have to take the time to evaluate what is really important in our lives... and those things are what we should spend our energy on. Share what's important to you with others and make the time to do so. We just never know what impact we could have on someones life. And it is important to me that perhaps this message will make some of us realize that. Life is way too short to go on the way I sometimes do. And I'm sure we all can relate.

So tonight I sat down and tied on his vice. It was just two weeks too late.

Ron - this is for you

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

4 Replies Related Threads

steelhound
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: His Vice 2011/10/04 19:11:42 (permalink)
    I don't know why I missed this, but there is alot of truth in here. I too know what you mean about getting wrapped up with the stuff that isn't improtant.
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: His Vice 2011/10/05 08:44:46 (permalink)
    Touching... great reminder to keep what's truely important and not worry about the rest.

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    bear-kodiak
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: His Vice 2011/10/05 15:56:30 (permalink)
    Really makes you think......jim
    Recman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: His Vice 2011/10/06 13:12:39 (permalink)
    Thank you for the reminder.
    Busy..........the choices we make.
    Jump to: