Question on youth pheasant hunts

Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/27 15:05:27 (permalink)

Question on youth pheasant hunts

This was brought to my attention. To my understanding once again this year the PGC in cooperation with many sportsman clubs are stocking pheasants on sportsman club's properties for scheduled youth hunts. The hunts are open to the public and only a certain amount of youths can resister. The hunts are held either one or two days, I believe it's one. The PGC has paid for the birds. What happens to the birds that don't get shot ? It is to my understanding that the birds become property of the sportsman's clubs and are now off limits to the public rather they are youths or not. Can anyone clear this up ?

10 Replies Related Threads

RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Question on youth pheasant hunts 2011/09/27 20:08:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

This was brought to my attention. To my understanding once again this year the PGC in cooperation with many sportsman clubs are stocking pheasants on sportsman club's properties for scheduled youth hunts. The hunts are open to the public and only a certain amount of youths can resister. The hunts are held either one or two days, I believe it's one. The PGC has paid for the birds. What happens to the birds that don't get shot ? It is to my understanding that the birds become property of the sportsman's clubs and are now off limits to the public rather they are youths or not. Can anyone clear this up ?

There are two categories of birds being stocked for the Junior season. By policy the Game Commission birds are only stocked on lands open to public hunting. There are places designated for pheasant releases specifically for the youth pheasant season. Those locations are listed on pages 25, 26 and 27 of the current Hunting Digest. Each club or organization that is mentoring a hunt can get two additional birds per registered youth up to but not more than 100 birds per event. I believe in most cases those are also stocked at the same locations as the other Junior Hunt Pheasants.

I know here in Elk County their mentored hunt is on the same game lands where the youth pheasant season birds are stocked. The 100 birds designated for those mentored youth will also be available to any other junior hunters on the game lands that day and through out the week.

All of those areas stocked with youth season pheasants is also closed to dog training the entire week of the youth season.

I do know of a few mentored hunts that are held on private land but to my knowledge the club or individuals buy the birds from Propagators and release them just for the youth registered in their mentored hunt. I know there is a private lands hunt in both McKean and Cameron Counties but the birds are not Game Commission birds.

If you know of Game Commission birds being stocked on lands closed to hunting call your Regional Office and discuss it with them.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question on youth pheasant hunts 2011/09/28 00:51:48 (permalink)
    Allegheny:

Bullcreek Rod and Gun Club will host its junior pheasant hunt at the club near Tarentum for 30 juniors. Deadline to register is Sept. 15. Contact Donald Lang at 724-889-6948 or email donaldlang0605@yahoo.com.

Armstrong:

Pine Creek Sportsmen's Club will host its junior pheasant hunt on Bassinger Farm near Templeton for 20 juniors. Deadline to register is Sept. 10. Contact William Bassinger, Jr at 724-548-7746.

Apollo Spring Church Sportsmen's Club will host its junior pheasant hunt at the club for 30 juniors. Deadline to register is Sept. 15. Contact Rocco Ali at 724-478-4303 or Dan Shaffer at 724-681-2834.

Beaver:

Beaver County Sportsmen's Conservation League will host its junior pheasant hunt for 50 juniors at Midland Sportsmen's Club. Deadline to register is Sept. 15. Contact Rich Kerlin at 724-378-8345 or email kerlinkanine@aol.com.

Bedford:

Bedford County Sportsman's Club will host its junior pheasant hunt in Centerville for 50 juniors. Deadline to register is Sept. 13. Contact Chad Kendall at 814-847-2558 or email ckkendall@embarqmail.com

Bedford-Fulton Pheasants Forever will host its junior pheasant hunt on SGL 97 for 40 juniors. Deadline to register is Sept. 15. Contact Jeff Green at 814-977-5458 or email jeff@green-ranch.com.

Centre:

Three Point Sportsmen Club will host its junior pheasant hunt at DCNR Ground in Kato for 50 juniors. Deadline to register is Sept. 15. Contact Steven Demyan at 814-387-6779 or email smdguidr@yahoo.com or Richard Biggans at 814-387-4248.

Clearfield:

Pennsylvania Wildlife Habitat Unlimited will host its junior pheasant hunt at the "Big A" hunting lodge near Luthersburg for 30 juniors. The deadline for registration is Sept. 15. Contact Laura Johnson at 814-371-4856 or email lauraj@zitomedia.net.

Columbia:

Central Susquehanna Pheasants Forever will host its junior pheasant hunt on SGL 226 for 50 juniors. Deadline for registration is Sept. 15. Contact Jack Kile at 570-443-7618 or email jgkile@pa.metrocast.net.

Erie:

Pheasants Forever NWPA Chapter 728 will be hosting is junior pheasant hunt on Millers Farm, Riley Siding Road near New Union City for 60 juniors. Deadline for registration is Sept. 8. Contact Heath Moss at 814-566-1774 or email heath@nwpapf.org.

Elk:

Pheasants Forever Chapter 630 will host its junior pheasant hunt on SGL 44, Sawmut Tract, Brockport for 45-50 juniors. The deadline to register is Sept. 15. Contact Tim Rowan at 814-849-8065 or 814-715-2754.

Greene:

Tri-County Quality Deer Management Assn will host its junior hunt at the Association for 35 juniors. Registration deadline is Sept. 15. Contact Kathy Davis at 724-263-9719 or Dennis McCann at 724-998-2809 or email kdavis4537@aol.com.

Lancaster:

Lititz Sportsmen's Association will host its junior pheasant hunt at Speedwell Forge Lake near Lititz for 24-28 juniors. The deadline to register is Sept. 15. Contact Phil McCloud at 717-626-5884.

Luzerne:

Northeast PA Chapter of Pheasants Forever will host its junior pheasant hunt on SGL 119 near Bear Creek for 45 juniors. The deadline to register is Sept. 9. Contact Corey Wiesel at 570-282-6346 email corey21@email.com.

Pike:

Promised Land Sportsman's Association will host its junior pheasant hunt at the association on Route 390 for 50 juniors. Deadline to register is Sept. 1. Contact Craig Fischer at 570-236-9756 or cfisch20@gmail.com.

Schuylkill:

Gordon Game & Fish Club will host its junior pheasant hunt at "The Barn" two miles east of Gordon for 25 juniors. The deadline to register is Sept. 15. Contact John Towey at 570-205-2682 or email nucleartechjpt@yahoo.com.

Warren:

Kalbfus Rod and Gun Club will hold its junior pheasant hunt at the Hibner property near Sugar Grove for 20 juniors. The deadline to register is Sept. 15. Contact Michael Fadale at 814-723-4461 or email aggie@westpa.net.

Washington:

McDonald Sportsmen will host its junior pheasant hunt in McDonald for 50 juniors. Deadline to register is Sept. 15. Contact Bernie Dhans at 724-288-5092.

Westmoreland:

NWTF Local Chapter 1 will host its junior pheasant hunt at Bush Creek Road, Mt. Pleasant for 25 juniors. Registration deadline is Sept. 15. Contact Deborah Overly at 724-691-4756.

Laurel Highlands Chapter of Pheasants Forever and Kingston Veterans & Sportsmen Club will host its junior pheasant hunt at the Kingston Veterans & Sportsmen Club in Latrobe for 50 juniors. Deadline to register is Sept. 13. Contact Kevin Adams at 724-423-8445 or email adamsk@wpa.net.

Law Enforcement Officers of Westmoreland County will host its junior pheasant hunt at Mammoth Park, near Norvelt for 50 juniors. Registration deadline is Sept. 10. Contact Jerry Trainer at 724-837-3927 or email jjtrainer@outdrs.net.

Little Sewickley Sportsman Club will host its junior pheasant hunt at "The Old Hunt Farm" in Lycipus for 50 juniors. Registration deadline is Sept. 11. Contact Jay Bossart at 724-423-6714.

York:

Starview Sportsmen's Association will host its junior pheasant hunt on SGL 243, Franklintown for 12 juniors. The deadline to register is Sept. 4. Contact Michael Heindel at 717-266-0783.

These are the private clubs hosting the mentoured Jr pheasent hunts Oct 8-15. PGC to stock the birds as you mentioned. What happens to the birds not shot at these private clubs? These clubs are not open to the public after the Jr hunt is closed Oct 15th. Looks like the birds not killed after Oct 15th belong to the private sportsmans clubs as I see it. Of course the ones on SGL are open to the public.
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/09/28 00:54:04
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Question on youth pheasant hunts 2011/09/28 01:46:47 (permalink)
    Here's the first two paragraphs from the news release in which the info you posted above came from. The underlined answers your question.

See more news releases in: Environmental Products & Services, Domestic Policy

Clubs Sign Up to Host Junior Pheasant Hunts
    0 0 0
    HARRISBURG, Pa., Aug. 25 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Pennsylvania Game Commission Executive Director Carl G. Roe today offered his praise to the 23 sportsmen's clubs throughout Pennsylvania who signed up to host junior pheasant hunts. The clubs will share in about 1,800 pheasants the agency is providing for junior pheasant hunts.

"While the agency's financial situation remains a concern, providing pheasants to clubs sponsoring junior pheasant hunts is a wise investment," Roe said. "The only two stipulations for clubs to be eligible to receive Game Commission birds are that these hunts must have registration open to the public and must be held on public lands or private lands enrolled in one of the Game Commission's Cooperative Public Access Programs.
    post edited by spoonchucker - 2011/09/28 01:50:27

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question on youth pheasant hunts 2011/09/28 02:07:50 (permalink)
    Thanks Spooner I'll pass this along. Roe feels that even though the PGC funded the birds for private clubs it is worth the investment ? That was the concern at a club I attended. One of the questions was why is the PGC providing game for the private sportsman clubs ? Letting youths shoot them is a great thing but the ones that don't get shot are off limits to the people who actually funded them. Lots of questions being asked. A number of guys didn't care as they said "they are like shooting fish in a barrel" but a few didn't like how the hunters monies were spend on private clubs youth or no youth.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Question on youth pheasant hunts 2011/09/28 02:19:06 (permalink)
    "Letting youths shoot them is a great thing but the ones that don't get shot are off limits to the people who actually funded them."

But they are NOT off limits. If you read the underlined. Those clubs prperties are either enrolled in the cooperative PUBLIC access program, or the hunt is held on other lands open to the public.
    post edited by spoonchucker - 2011/09/28 02:20:04

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Question on youth pheasant hunts 2011/09/28 08:18:49 (permalink)
    The hunts I've been involved in were held on privately owned Non Posted property.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Question on youth pheasant hunts 2011/09/28 08:58:43 (permalink)
    I have been involved in the Youth Pheasant hunts since they started.  Some were on federal ground -- Raystown -- that is open to the general public, so the PGC stocked birds that were not harvested (killed, whatever) were available for the general hunting population once the season opened.  Some were on private club ground.  The ones on private ground were not provided by the PGC, but rather by the club, organization, or preserve and they remained as thier property if not harvested (killed, whatever).

I think the thing that bugs me about the whole youth pheasant deal has nothing to do with the hunt per se, but with, once again, an ambiguous PGC regulation.  According to the PGC, there can be no dog training in the areas stocked for the youth hunt duirng the week between the start of the youth hunt and the opening of the regular season.  Why?

Why particularly since many of the areas that are stocked for the youth hunt at Raystown are also good woodc*ck habitat, which are legal game during that time?  If one wants to follow the letter of the law, they cannot have dogs on the ground in that area because it may be seen as training, when in actuality it is timblerdoodle hunting -- essentially shutting down prime timberdoodle habitat during the open season.  In addition, some of the areas around Raystown were designed to attract waterfowl, but even though the season may be in (it varies from year to year based on the federal season), one could not employ a lab for retrieving purposes because the area is a designated youth hunt area.

Why?

NOTE: I don't hunt woodc*ck (skip the middle man and just eat worms if you like the taste of them) or ducks, so this really has nothing to do with me, but rather was heard in a conversation with a retired person that lives in that area and hunts both, but cannot for fear of being cited.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Question on youth pheasant hunts 2011/09/28 09:48:43 (permalink)
    "NOTE: I don't hunt woodc*ck (skip the middle man and just eat worms if you like the taste of them)"

Thanks for the chuckle and bringing back the memory of the look on my english setters face the first time she picked one of those up....

Although I used to stuff them inside pheasants, along with apple and orange pieces and bacon strips on top... yum....
    post edited by bulldog1 - 2011/09/28 09:49:57
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question on youth pheasant hunts 2011/09/28 23:26:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

"Letting youths shoot them is a great thing but the ones that don't get shot are off limits to the people who actually funded them."

But they are NOT off limits. If you read the underlined. Those clubs prperties are either enrolled in the cooperative PUBLIC access program, or the hunt is held on other lands open to the public.

Thanks Spooner I found the info. Appendix A does say that the property owner can limit the amount of hunters. All in all good program for the youths.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=831108&mode=2
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Question on youth pheasant hunts 2011/09/29 07:33:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1

"NOTE: I don't hunt woodc*ck (skip the middle man and just eat worms if you like the taste of them)"

Thanks for the chuckle and bringing back the memory of the look on my english setters face the first time she picked one of those up....

Although I used to stuff them inside pheasants, along with apple and orange pieces and bacon strips on top... yum....

Woodc*ck are ideal when cooked using the cedar board method.

My older pointer will point them if it has been a dry hole day.  The younger one wants nothing to do with them.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Jump to: