Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island

Author
treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/19 22:08:06 (permalink)

Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island

Wow, I am heading to Assateaque Island Oct 12 for some surf fishing.I have never been there and have no idea what tackle to take. We will be fishing the surf for ?. Any one have any experience?
Thanks Dave

17 Replies Related Threads

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/09/20 10:20:26 (permalink)
    Heavy bass gear will work if surf casting.
    Most all of the bait shops have rental gear that works good also.

If you are doing a "house rental" as a vacation spot, most of the house owners usually leave rod & reels there and you might even find a crab pot laying around somewhere.

When we were there, we went to Wal-Mart and bought a few of the Shakespear "Tiger Cat" rod & reel combos for like 20 bucks each and used them...they worked fine. We even brought them home and re-spooled them for basic catfish rods!

Other than that, some 1/0 or 2/0 hooks and 2 ounce pyramid sinkers are pretty much basic standard stuff.
    Blood worms, cut up strips of bunker from a local bait shop or large minnows also.
    Try digging up a few of the "sand fleas" (the small tan creatures you find when the kids dig in the sand) and tossing them out also.

HTH

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/09/20 11:12:40 (permalink)
    What EM said, but you may want some 3 oz sinkers or even 4 if waves are up at all...

Longer rods cast out a lot further, so I wouldn't get anything under 8 ft, if you are buying specifically for surf fishing and don't plan to have it doing 'double duty' back here at home then you can go for a pole much longer, only limit is what you are comfortable with casting or handling. 10 ft would be average and some go much longer. Remember to make yourself some basic sand spikes to take with you (much cheaper than buying them there)

If you are using shrimp for bait then use fresh shrimp, not frozen, it works much better.

If you are staying on Chincoteague Island and driving over to the national park to fish the beach don't miss checking out a couple of the public piers you can fish from. Same equipment, you are just fishing further up in the channel between Chincoteague and the mainland.

Stop at a local bait shop for latest info on what's been biting and they will be able to help out with terminal tackle suggestions for those particular fish. Some folks use a 'spreader rig' that helps keep double hook rigs from tangles and is common for bottom fishing.

Take a long handled and long nosed pair of pliers with you. We frequently catch dog sharks out there and other species of sharks and you don't want to be getting too close to their mouth. A glove for holding may help also because the shark in particular can be very hard to keep a decent hold on. I don't know if 'dehookers' are required for shore fishing but I know many states require them for saltwater tackle on boats so check the virginia or maryland regulations. (lower end of Assateague is Virginia, upper is Maryland, I don't know which area you are going to be in)

Have fun and don't forget your camera!
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/09/20 22:43:24 (permalink)
    Thanks fellas, I will heed advise. Looking forward to an interesting trip. We have a camping spot in I think a State Park. I did not make the arrangements. I have heavy Pike-Musky gear ard a couple rods that are lighter in the 8-9' range. They are medium action and 12-25 lb line rods. I also have some great Penn spinning reels. I'll get some new line. Mono-Floro-Braid? Probably will not matter what type line. Thanks Again Dave
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/09/20 22:45:06 (permalink)
    H3fisher, I will have to try a Gotcha too. Thanks Dave
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/09/21 07:38:12 (permalink)
    treesparrow are you going to assateague state park in maryland? If so, my family has camped there for over 35 years. its a really wonderful place for a vacation.

as far as the fishing is concerned, we always used squid to fish. and if you are fishing in the state park in maryland, there is a pier where you can fish the bay as well.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9687
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/09/21 10:33:23 (permalink)
    I've camped there a few times during October. The fishing is usually pretty good. A lot of bluefish around, mostly smaller. The chance at some huge red drum and stripers is definitely there too.

For the big fish, you definitely need surf gear. 10'-12' rod with large reel. The local bait shops usually have economy setups for $30. Probably not the best, but give you a much better chance at landing a fish (and not breaking your expensive musky rods, casting 4-6 oz. weights). For these guys, cut bait, usually bunker, spot, or just about any fish (usually head or whole smaller fish) on a hi/lo rig or fishfinder rig. Fishfinder is usually the way to go for large baits and getting them out far. Mullet rigs work well in the Fall, if the small blues aren't around. There should be a bunch of mullet in the surf when you go, and likely the top producing bait for just catching fish. Although, the small blues have a habit of constantly stripping the bait away.

For the blues, bluefish rigs work great on fish from 12"+. These are double rigs with floats and either steel leader or heavy mono. Tip these with finger mullet fillets or chunks. If you are only getting fish up to 12", or having a hard time setting the hook, then down size on the hooks (fresh water "bass size" hooks work, but will rust if you don't rinse them after using.) Hold your rod and set the hook at the first nip.

Get yourself an Atom popper lure. This is a blue surf popping lure, which works great with mullet in the surf. You might run into some sand eels in the surf (more in NJ than MD). If so, then small plastic eels work pretty well.

#1 thing that you want are some sand spikes. These can easily be made from PVC if you don't have any. 3' ones are nice size for transport and use. 4' will get you higher but a bit harder to carry. These are nothing more than rod holders, but nothing will mess your reel up more than sand, or rinsing sand off with salt water... I usually do a large fish rod (with baitrunner reel), then a lure chucker / small fish rod, depending on the fishing.

The striper "run" likely won't hit there by then, but if it does, clams work great. This seems to be something more used from NJ north, but they still eat them in MD. There are a lot of clam beds in the area, so are still natural food. Mentioned above are the sand fleas. Sometimes the best bait around. Don't cast these too far out. They also work in the inlets at times, without any weight, cast into the current seams.

In the inlet, fish the current seams. Swim shad seem to be the best around there. Although I have caught fish on plastic jerk baits, large Bomber lures (work in the surf too) and bucktails.

Here is a great site for info.

http://www.stripersonline.com/f/166/delmarva-fishing-forum

For camping, the wind can get really crazy. If you are tenting, make sure you don't just rely on your tent spikes!!! We had to chase a tent, full of clothes, sleeping bags, and other stuff, about 100 yards... Dig some holes and burry a piece of fire wood with your tie downs tied around. This is pretty easy in the sand there.

Have a great time, this is one of the best times of the year there. The water is still swimable, if you get a few days in the 70s-80s. Even if not, you can still likely wet wade, although waders are a good idea to pack. Boot foot ones seem to work better, since the stocking foots will fill up with sand.
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/09/21 14:18:52 (permalink)
    If your located in Erie PM me I can lend you a rod I have its a 10 foot ocean master great from big blues to 4 foot sharks. Also diamond spoons work great! Don't let the pink ones seem like there only made to catch fishermen sometimes they outfish silver
    moose22dog
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/09/23 15:31:03 (permalink)
    stop at bucks place it's right before the bridge to cross over in to the park. there good peoples, very helpfull and nice. it's a general/ tackle/ bait store everything you need is there, and there bacon and eggs sandwiches are **** good. sunset marina also has a nice tackle/bait store as well. if you want to shark fish you can dumster dive the blue barrals by the cleaning staions for free bait of fish carcuss's. we went down for a 4day shark trip and stayed on the beach below the "bull pen" in aug. you can fish 24/7 as long as you have a line in the water just can't "sleep", but we sleeped everynight and was fine. only seen two rangers the whole time we were there.but we were away from the "crowards" by miles. if your after panfish try fishbites bloodworms and shirmp worked well for us. blues never turn down a chunk of mullit or a spoon. like said before gottach plugs worked good to chartusse and silver and pink, you can't work them fast enough. this was our first time down there and liked it alot was very impressed with it. reminded me of what obx use to be like. good luck, take lots of pics and let us know how you made out. bring 100% deet bug spray the "mean greenies" are just that..MEAN!!! i have scars from them. tight lines moose

here's a link for pics and report. http://www.3riverscatfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145

agree alot with what porktown said !!!
    post edited by moose22dog - 2011/09/23 15:34:01

your "game fish" is my bait.....got flathead!!
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/09/23 15:39:47 (permalink)
    Another (night fishing more than beach) tip. Stop at a Dollar Tree or similar, and grab a few packs of glow bracelets. A few rubber bands too. Attach to the rod tips before running your line (easier to wrap rubber bands around). Makes seeing your rod a lot easier at night.
    moose22dog
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/09/28 19:57:48 (permalink)
    try this link instead, not as many pix tho.

http://www.sharksonthesand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=982
    post edited by moose22dog - 2011/09/28 19:58:41

moose22dog
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/09/29 20:22:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: treesparrow

Wow, I am heading to Assateaque Island Oct 12 for some surf fishing.I have never been there and have no idea what tackle to take. We will be fishing the surf for ?. Any one have any experience?
    Thanks Dave

ask around here, most of these guys fish it year round.

http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/forumdisplay.php?8-Maryland-Delaware

treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/09/30 09:58:43 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone, soumds like a great place. All your advise is apriciated. I am looking forward to the trip.
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/10/05 01:21:23 (permalink)
    I have vacationed there every year, I have caught 2 million croaker in the past 3 years and last year faught a sting ray for a while then it broke me off. Well its a skafe I think they called it. I have picked up flounder and striper but those were in Chincoteague. I have a love for that area its freaking awesome and you;ll have a blast.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/10/05 01:29:49 (permalink)
    2 Million? I'm sure thats not an exaggeration

treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/10/10 22:46:20 (permalink)
    Well off I go. Looking forward to the trip and will post summary sometime next week. Thanks all! Dave
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/10/17 10:00:36 (permalink)
    Well what a trip! The fishing was terrible as the wind was howling every day. It was coming out of the south and put a lot of currant heading North. We caught a few sand sharks for all our efforts. We were lonely fishermen as there was only the occasional other angler who ventured out for short ventures. The wind was so strong that the sand stung your legs and drifted over things,shoes,and even the labs tail as it tried to snooze.We also fished the rt 50 bridge a bit without much success. The day we were leaving the wind calmed down and came off shore. There was still a dirty chocolate milk looking surf. However for as far as we could see up and down the shore outside the surf there were schools of fish on surface slashing bait. Oh how I wanted to stay. Beautiful place and I'll be back.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tackle Help---Asssateaque Island 2011/10/19 16:04:41 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about the weather. One thing that sucks about being this far from the beach. You really can't be as picky of when you go. The more you go, the better chance of hitting it right though... I'm hoping to get some work travel to NJ very soon. This time of the year, fishing seems to be good just about everywhere. Kind of hard to decide where to go, which is not a bad thing at all!
    Jump to: