Author
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/14 14:13:03 (permalink)

A Test

Billy the Kid (Emelio Estevez) Once said

"Gentelmen, you have to test yourself every day"!

So I propose a test for all of us. I will assume that every one is shooting thier bows on a regular basis, so here we go.

Lets have an HONEST test, place a pin (typical sewing size) in the center of the aiming point of your particular practice target. Each day you practice, measure the distance from that pin head that your first arrow shot of the day hits.

I got this advice from a great shooter I once met and it completley changed how I practice. It forces you to really focus on the first shot, (the one that counts). I started a log of where my first shots landed and was amazed at the variation at first. But, the more I practiced this way the distances began to shrink, although I was not practicing any more than before.

I don't intend for this to be a bragging board, but rather a proving ground for this type of practice. I started two days ago.

I also think it might make us focus on how much we are acutally practicing.

Two days ago I took my first shot at 30 yards and I was 2 3/4 inches from the pin head.

Yesterday I shot at 20 yards and was 7/8 in. from the pin head.

I think entries should loook like this......

20 yds. 7/8 in.
30 yds. 2 3/4 in.

Only enter one measurement per shooting round, as there is only one first arrow. I know it improved my shooting maybe yours will as well.

P.S. X-bow guys shoot as you would from a stand. If you have rests use a rest. If you shoot from your knees then shoot that way.

Better too far back, than too far forward.

1 Reply Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: A Test 2011/09/14 16:50:27 (permalink)
    Good advise. Shoot from a stand if most of your hunting is done from one. Get a buddy to move your target around at unknown distances and take "one" shot. Place target in wooded areas as well and not just in the open. One shot per moved target. Also practice those really close up shots. A lot of guys will miss that one. Remember bend at the waist. Keep track of your score and then reverse with your buddy. That's how I roll..
    Jump to: