Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/25 21:28:01 (permalink)

ScentLok

I saw this on another site and figured I would throw it up as Scentlok is usually a hot topic here.

ALS Enterprises, Inc., owners and marketer of the Scent-Lok® brand of scent control hunting apparel, has claimed a major victory in the long-standing class action lawsuit that challenged the products’ ability to control human odor.  After four years of litigation, which was brought by a group of five Minnesota hunters, a federal appeals court issued its decision on August 18, rejecting plaintiffs’ core allegations and overturning an injunction issued last year.

Among other things, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit noted that evidence introduced in the district court showed that carbon-containing hunting clothing dramatically outperformed non-carbon clothing at adsorbing odors:  “Defendants’ expert, Dr. Hartman, conducted quantitative permeation testing and estimated that Defendants’ products ‘blocked’ ninety-six to ninety-nine percent of odor compounds, whereas non-carbon garments blocked only five to fifty-five percent.” 

The Eighth Circuit also ruled that ALS’s use of the terms “odor eliminating” and “reactivation” in describing its products was not literally false, and that the district court had erred in basing “its determination of literal falsity on the most absolute of competing dictionary definitions of the word ‘eliminate.’”  In support, the Court noted that “Defendants introduced evidence of substantial customer satisfaction with ALS’s Scent-Lok® products, as well as evidence that, when those products first came on the market in the early 1990’s, numerous soaps, powders, and cover sprays were being marketed to deer hunters as ‘odor-eliminating’ products.”

The Court also ruled that “Plaintiffs led the district court into error” in entering an injunction, and ordered the dismissal of all claims for injunctive relief because “Plaintiffs failed to prove both the requisite irreparable injury and their core allegations that Defendants’ use of the terms ‘odor eliminating’ and ‘reactivation’ were literally false.”

Scent-Lok® president and inventor of activated-carbon hunting apparel, Greg Sesselmann, commented:  “We are gratified by the decision.  It gives me great satisfaction that our products continue to provide hunters the ability to get close to wildlife and experience the beauty of nature like never before.  At the same time, we are saddened at the burden that this lawsuit has caused our team members and their families, as well as the frustration that our retailers, field staff and sales rep organizations have experienced.  We thank all of those who have stood beside us in this fight, especially our ultimate customers—people who have purchased Scent-Lok® gear and know that it works.”  

“Customers have never needed an attorney to get total satisfaction from our company.”  Sesselmann remarked.  “Our satisfaction level is extremely high and, based on the unsolicited testimonials that we receive and our own experience in the field, we know that Scent-Lok® products are highly effective at reducing odors.  On behalf of our retail partners, we remain focused on making the best hunting apparel in the world.”  

http://www.scentlok.com/scentlok-latest/scent-lok-breaking-new

post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2011/08/25 21:31:26

31 Replies Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/25 21:54:17 (permalink)
    Imagine just about anything could be considered an aid in controlling scent. Clothes, soaps shampoos body lotion,mouthwash etc. I think that there is a big problem with gimmicks that are just an excuse for the hunter to dig into their wallet. Look years ago, hunters still got close to game and shot record animals. I think if one is to spend there money on scent control, it's much better spent on basics than what is endorsed from the Outdoor Show.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/25 22:14:32 (permalink)
    It is scientifically proven that activated carbon can help in adsorbing odors and will do so much more than standard clothing.  Exactly how much and what types of odors are adsorbed is still subject for debate.

I have worn it for about the last 7 years or so.  To be quite honest the clothes they make seem tailor made to suit my needs and they really don't cost any more than the same quality non-scentlok clothes if you shop carefully.  I never took them to be the end all of scent control, just another tool in the box.  I will take any edge I can get no matter how small it may be.  

post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2011/08/25 22:17:15
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/25 22:28:45 (permalink)
    I've said it before and I'll say it again...
    I don't care, worry or ponder if ScentLok works, they make some of the most comfortable hunting gear on the market and I will continue to buy it.(ScentBlocker...not so much.).
    As a matter fact, I am currently shopping for another set.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/25 22:34:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

It is scientifically proven that activated carbon can help in adsorbing odors and will do so much more than standard clothing.  Exactly how much and what types of odors are adsorbed is still subject for debate.

I have worn it for about the last 7 years or so.  To be quite honest the clothes they make seem tailor made to suit my needs and they really don't cost any more than the same quality non-scentlok clothes if you shop carefully.  I never took them to be the end all of scent control, just another tool in the box.  I will take any edge I can get no matter how small it may be.  

Understood I have and do still use some of them as well. I don't go out of my way to purchase them though. I feel the good test is to put some dog snacks in regular, scent free carbon clothing and then put the snacks in a ziploc and into clothing. See if your Lab can smell all three. Mine did.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/25 22:35:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ironhed

I've said it before and I'll say it again...
    I don't care, worry or ponder if ScentLok works, they make some of the most comfortable hunting gear on the market and I will continue to buy it.(ScentBlocker...not so much.).
    As a matter fact, I am currently shopping for another set.

Ironhed

Try any Under Armour recently ? http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/sports/hunting/mens/pid1220583-Men-s-Ridge-Reaper-174-Shell-Hunting-Jacket/1220583-920
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/08/25 22:46:08
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/25 23:06:14 (permalink)
    Yep.  Tried on 3 different models today.   All 3 were too noisy for my tastes(and not very comfy).

A few years ago, I bought some UA cold/heat gear(base layer/type) and thought they were great until I got the capilene stuff.  Gave it all away except for the shirt with my name on it.

The newer Russel stuff doesn't look bad but everything I've felt is still too noisy.

If Patagonia would get into hunting gear...look out!

My favorite suit is still my Scentlok Dakota fleece.  Not too hot on warm days and not too cold on frigid days.
    I'm gonna try and make the BootBox in Meadville on Saturday after my charter and see what they have in stock.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/25 23:17:10 (permalink)
    Ok just curious. I kinda like fleece but the hitch hikers and snow collect on it. Doesn't get any quieter though.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/25 23:33:41 (permalink)
    +1

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/25 23:54:24 (permalink)
    Glad I got a lot of deer before scent block clothing came out
    Probably not possible to get a dear without it now

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/25 23:55:35 (permalink)
    As did I...but I wasn't nearly as comfortable.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/25 23:56:18 (permalink)
    I own the Scent Blocker dream season jacket and pants and i absolutely love them.. I walk through the woods quietly no matter what the situation is..****s Sporting goods had them on clearance last year almost 70% off. I think they retailed for 200+ i picked them both up for $110. Last season i took them out a few times in the winter and boy was i warm.. Only downfall is they do rip easily. One set of jagers and your pants are ruined. I still haven't understood the whole carbon thing so i just wash them like i do with all my other clothing in scent free detergent and hang them outside a month before the season starts. Ed
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/26 00:04:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Eman89so

I own the Scent Blocker dream season jacket and pants and i absolutely love them..

I gave that suit away as well.  I hated the cuffs on the jacket and pants.  Felt like I had hacksaw blades wrapped around my wrists and cuffs.
    I will say it was nice and cool on hot days, though.

I walk through the woods quietly no matter what the situation is..****s Sporting goods had them on clearance last year almost 70% off. I think they retailed for 200+ i picked them both up for $110. Last season i took them out a few times in the winter and boy was i warm.. Only downfall is they do rip easily. One set of jagers and your pants are ruined. I still haven't understood the whole carbon thing so i just wash them like i do with all my other clothing in scent free detergent and hang them outside a month before the season starts. Ed

I wash my clothes every other day!

Ironhed
    post edited by Ironhed - 2011/08/26 00:05:29

Blacktop Charters
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/26 00:08:28 (permalink)
    +1 on the cuffs they do get really tight.. What do you wash your clothes in?
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/26 00:34:41 (permalink)
    pghmarty, love the sarcasm! I might fall for all the fishing bulls**t  that's out there but never the hunting. Moved to UC in '96, have 3 stands on my property and 1 in NY State (since '97).  Eat my lunch, drink my coffee and smoke my cigs. Haven't been skunked in either state in 14 years. Maybe I do, or maybe I don't shower before heading to my stands. You people give these animals way too much credit for having a smarter brain in their heads than you do!
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/26 00:36:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Glad I got a lot of deer before scent block clothing came out
    Probably not possible to get a dear without it now

+1
    Not sure how they do it.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/26 06:13:20 (permalink)
    Scentloc helps control odor but doesn't eliminate it. Play the wind and you can smoke and still bow kill a buck. I do wear it, mostly in fleece, because as stated it is comfortable and quiet and I want all the scent control help I can get. I did bow kill a couple dozen branched bucks with the recurve before scentloc came out. You just have to find dumb bucks that can't smell.
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/26 07:05:08 (permalink)
    i know guys that smoke and coffee before the woods and they do kill deer, but none of them have killed any that i would call a BIG BUCK. some guys do get lucky once in awhile during rifle and shoot a nice buck. a few years back guys mite of killed nicer bucks with out as much scent control, but the deer have also got smarter and wiser on the count of so many hunters in the woods now days. i swear by the scent control products, and i also love my dream season suite. it is very comfortable.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/30 10:35:54 (permalink)

And that right there is the problem. These companies promoting "Forget the wind, just hunt" & "Hunt 360"

Haven't heard those kind of quotes for a while now.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/30 12:02:35 (permalink)
    And that right there is the problem. These companies promoting "Forget the wind, just hunt" & "Hunt 360"

+1
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/30 13:19:37 (permalink)
    I guess scent control clothing ,cover scents and playing the wind all increase your odds but just plain good woodsman ship is probably most benefited from. Be smart when you hunt. Don't over hunt an area, don't be sky lined in a tree,and keep movement to a minimum to name a few. While many like I hunt several sets, many don't have the opportunity to do so. With their time limited in the woods they only have a few hours they can hunt. So hunt smart and make the most out your time. Whitetails have good noses but a black bear has an incredible nose.Leave your candy and cigarettes at home.Rubber boots are always a good idea.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/30 16:40:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: akitadog

i know guys that smoke and coffee before the woods and they do kill deer, but none of them have killed any that i would call a BIG BUCK. some guys do get lucky once in awhile during rifle and shoot a nice buck.

Well which is it? Are you Docs son?

a few years back guys mite of killed nicer bucks with out as much scent control, but the deer have also got smarter and wiser on the count of so many hunters in the woods now days. i swear by the scent control products, and i also love my dream season suite. it is very comfortable.

Nope! Deer didn't get smarter. Hunters got lazier. It's 100% about monitoring the wind and thermals.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/30 16:51:00 (permalink)
    Nope! Deer didn't get smarter. Hunters got lazier. It's 100% about monitoring the wind and thermals.

+1-- I'am not sure if they go lazier or just less experienced due to hunting not being the main activity like it was years ago. Not sure how deer got smarter due to so many hunters as we now have fewer hunters that we have had in the last 60 years.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/30 17:27:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tull66

a few years back guys mite of killed nicer bucks with out as much scent control, but the deer have also got smarter and wiser on the count of so many hunters in the woods now days. i swear by the scent control products, and i also love my dream season suite. it is very comfortable.

I thought the reason we are killing less deer was because they are much smarter nowadays

While it is obviously good practice to understand thermals and wind direction in your set, there will inevitably be times when they are beyond your control.  It just so happens that a lot of the prime locations are also those which frequently have swirling winds and thermals and you need to be prepared.  Scentlok or not, if you don't take the proper precautions to eliminate/prevent as much as scent as possible, you are only handicapping yourself.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/30 17:41:09 (permalink)
    If you were hunting a particular buck and the a day you could hunt the wind was swirling and you could only hunt evening, would you pass or would you rely on your Scentlok to put odds in your favor as to being successful?

ORIGINAL: tull66

I thought the reason we are killing less deer was because they are much smarter nowadays

While it is obviously good practice to understand thermals and wind direction in your set, there will inevitably be times when they are beyond your control.  It just so happens that a lot of the prime locations are also those which frequently have swirling winds and thermals and you need to be prepared.  Scentlok or not, if you don't take the proper precautions to eliminate/prevent as much as scent as possible, you are only handicapping yourself.

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/30 18:00:16 (permalink)
    As I said before, I don't "rely" on the scentlok for anything and still hunt the wind to the best of my ability.  I also still go through all the rigors that many do in terms of eliminating as much scent as possible with my body, gear, and baselayers.

In your hypothetical situation, if I was confident the wind the would be detrimental to my hunt, I would move on to another stand.  Preferably one where the wind was more favorable or to a stand where it serves as more as an observational set. 

My point was that if you hunt long enough you will find yourself in a stand where the wind shifts or swirls right at prime time.  What do you do in that situation?  Personally, I am not getting down with 45 minutes of shooting light left for fear of doing more damage by walking out of the woods at that time.  I will take my chances and hope for the best and I was just saying that in situation, scentlok or not, you need to ensure you have taken the right precautions to eliminate as much scent as possible. And you still need a little bit of luck beyond that. 
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/30 18:36:48 (permalink)
     Wind direction and slow movement are the two most important things going for a Deer hunter IMHO.
    Problem with wind is that it changes from time to time and  from early to late- not to mention swirling in hills and Mountains.
    Gettin high in a stand will generally throw your scent far away and the deer will come in and look up at ya -if your still- even if your havin a gas attack.(  that was a unique day).
    Like to stay high on the ridges during the day and the usual updraft cares for all those other conditions. -cept the gas.
    Doesnt mean that Scent Loc isnt a good thing but somehow lotsa deer got laid out before we had it. Probably will get some before I'm done- everything helps in the long haul.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/08/30 18:38:05
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/31 00:03:18 (permalink)
    Understood. I wasn't looking for a right or wrong answer, just curious.Good reply

As I said before, I don't "rely" on the scentlok for anything and still hunt the wind to the best of my ability.  I also still go through all the rigors that many do in terms of eliminating as much scent as possible with my body, gear, and baselayers.

In your hypothetical situation, if I was confident the wind the would be detrimental to my hunt, I would move on to another stand.  Preferably one where the wind was more favorable or to a stand where it serves as more as an observational set. 

My point was that if you hunt long enough you will find yourself in a stand where the wind shifts or swirls right at prime time.  What do you do in that situation?  Personally, I am not getting down with 45 minutes of shooting light left for fear of doing more damage by walking out of the woods at that time.  I will take my chances and hope for the best and I was just saying that in situation, scentlok or not, you need to ensure you have taken the right precautions to eliminate as much scent as possible. And you still need a little bit of luck beyond that. 

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/31 00:08:59 (permalink)
    I kinda do opposite and try and not hunt low laying areas in evenings, only mornings if possible. As the air cools it drops. RG you forgot to mention the most important thing going for the bow hunter, It's the "PUCKER" factor !
    ORIGINAL: retired guy

Wind direction and slow movement are the two most important things going for a Deer hunter IMHO.
    Problem with wind is that it changes from time to time and  from early to late- not to mention swirling in hills and Mountains.
    Gettin high in a stand will generally throw your scent far away and the deer will come in and look up at ya -if your still- even if your havin a gas attack.(  that was a unique day).
    Like to stay high on the ridges during the day and the usual updraft cares for all those other conditions. -cept the gas.
    Doesnt mean that Scent Loc isnt a good thing but somehow lotsa deer got laid out before we had it. Probably will get some before I'm done- everything helps in the long haul.

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: ScentLok 2011/08/31 06:28:49 (permalink)
    Let me qualify by saying that I own, use and will continue to use them. But check out the article in F&S ( I think it was F&S) last month.

They took a trained human search dog. The first search the guy smoked ate and wore non scent washed clothing. The average find time for those trials was 20 seconds.

The second time, the guy took what they called normal scent control procedures. Scent loc, Scent free shower and spray down. Average find time was 16 seconds.

The third time they used what they called extreme scent control measures with scent loc and all the anal scent control methods they could think of. Average find time was 13 seconds.

Bottom line. Watch the wind. I agree with hed, scent loc makes some comfortable gear.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: