CCW and bow hunting

Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/23 18:52:08 (permalink)

CCW and bow hunting

OK what is the law as far as carrying a concealed weapon when bow hunting. I understand one must have a CCW permit. Is there any game law that restricts the caliber size or type of action on the handgun ? In other words could a .44 revolver and or a .22 semi auto be legally concealed while bow hunting?

10 Replies Related Threads

Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: CCW and bow hunting 2011/08/23 20:15:28 (permalink)
    OA your pm box is full
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: CCW and bow hunting 2011/08/23 20:27:11 (permalink)
    I have my LTCF and a Ruger SR9 with a 17+1 mag. I will carry it regardless (see my LTCF) and take my chances in front of the local District Magistrate. Seeing that I live in Clarion County and b/c of our local WCO, it would be a easy case to win

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: CCW and bow hunting 2011/08/23 20:31:22 (permalink)
    I emptied it yesterday. Try again or you have the other option.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: CCW and bow hunting 2011/08/23 20:36:07 (permalink)
    Does a permit issued by your county override the laws of the PGC. I would like to know what are the restrictions for carrying a concealed handgun while bow hunting in Pa according yo the PGC ?? RSB you viewing ?
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: CCW and bow hunting 2011/08/23 21:05:37 (permalink)
    With LTCF you can carry concealed any handgun for protection purposes only. Sportsmans permit allows to hunt legally with only manually operated handguns, but a Sportsmans does not allow to carry concealed.

Since you are in archery, just get the LTCF and your legal with any handgun as long as its not used to shoot/hunt game. Hence this is why I carry my SR9, though its not too often since I'm usually on private ground for archery. I never carry concealed in rifle season
    post edited by psu_fish - 2011/08/23 21:08:08
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: CCW and bow hunting 2011/08/23 21:12:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

OK what is the law as far as carrying a concealed weapon when bow hunting. I understand one must have a CCW permit. Is there any game law that restricts the caliber size or type of action on the handgun ? In other words could a .44 revolver and or a .22 semi auto be legally concealed while bow hunting?

With a LTCF, a pistol for personal protection can be carried concealed while hunting or spotlighting. Doesn't matter the caliber or action type.

My rifle is a black rifle
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: CCW and bow hunting 2011/08/23 21:44:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dpms

ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

With a LTCF, a pistol for personal protection can be carried concealed while hunting or spotlighting. Doesn't matter the caliber or action type.

I do have a LTCF or a CCW (concealed carry weapons permit) but have been told that the PGC has restriction on such while hunting. DPMS you state that there are no restrictions. Thanks for the reply. PSU I completely understand the difference between a Sportsman's permit and a LTCF.Just wanting to know about any restrictions from the PGC. Thanks
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: CCW and bow hunting 2011/08/24 15:00:41 (permalink)
    Ok doesn't look like anyone in law enforcement wants to reply. The way I see it one can carry any handgun concealed while hunting with a CCW (LTCF) and spotlighting also. Had some guys try and tell me different so this why I posted. Thanks to those who replied.

Sec. 2525. Amended November 29, 2006, Act No. 162, Effective January 28, 2007.
    Sec. 2525. Possession of firearm for protection of self or others.
    (a) General rule.—It is lawful for a law enforcement officer or any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm issued under 18 Pa C.S. Section 6109 (relating to licenses) to be in possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm while engaged in any activity regulated by this title.
    (b) Construction.
    (1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of firearms or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title.
    (2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title.
    (c) Definitions.—As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Firearm." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. §6102 (relating to definitions).
    "Law enforcement officer." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. §6102 (relating to definitions).

From Title 18 6102
    "Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/08/24 15:14:12
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: CCW and bow hunting 2011/08/24 17:57:22 (permalink)
    Wouldn't matter to me.  I'd take my chances.  Personal protection trumps PGC 100% in my opinion.  I do have a concealed permit and I don't carry while archery hunting.  Hope it never comes to that though.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: CCW and bow hunting 2011/08/24 18:15:07 (permalink)
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Sound familiar ?
    Jump to: